PDA

View Full Version : Invites - the curse of the Whm

Garland
04-20-2004, 05:20 AM
I'm a Tarutaru white mage at level 15 going on 16 with up to date spells and equipment. I've recently decided to log on anonymous. Sadly, my problem would be a blessing to just about everyone else. I get a half a million party requests. These requests don't come because I'm "seeking" a party, with my flag up. Nor do they come when I'm within sight of a group trying to assemble. For that matter, they don't always come with so much as an explanation, and I'm usually already taken. Rubbing salt in the wound, half don't take no for an answer.

1: (Cloudthewarrior Invites you to join his party)
2: I don't do anything, or click no.
3: I get a tell "Would you like to join a party in The Dunes (or The Maze)?"
4: "No thanks, I'm taken"
5: "Aww but we need you. We can't pt without you..."
6: I think the player pathetic for begging, but say nothing
7: (Cloudthewarrior Invites you to join his party)

And thus it repeats. Note that Cloudthewarrior is a ficticious character made up to protect the identities of the guilty. Does anyone else get annoyed with indiscriminant pt requests? I see a half a million players with their flags up sitting around bored or begging to be invited. I'm getting anonymous invites from several zones away when I'm not even seeking, and already taken. Where, I ask, is the justice in that?

Lionx
04-20-2004, 07:40 AM
OK well to me, the person that does not /tell you before inviting you for no particular reason, should be /tell to be more polite and then decline. Because that is just rude, being a WHM myself i know that(and BRDs and RDMs, you too sooner or later feel it).

However i do ask ppl even if they dont have exp search comments or seek party flags because sometimes they do say yes. But in general, for those who invite without any particular reason, doesnt talk about pt lineup, doesnt talk about where to fight and exp, and especially doesnt even ask if you want to exp, should be ignored. If he does do it again, blacklist him.

Why else do you think theres alot of /anon people?

Edgar
04-20-2004, 12:42 PM
Live up with it. Healers always have to deal with such problems in most MMORPGs (maybe all). Groups also face the same problem in finding tanks and healers in those MMORPGs. I know because I usually play healer alts during my free time away from my mains in other MMORPGs and sometimes it's sickening to see 10 /tells overflow my chat window.

Why do you think I don't play healer as mains? :D

Citizen Bleys
04-20-2004, 03:54 PM
I play a healer as my main :)

It's part of the price of having a support character. It's just as well, anyways, since support characters aren't much good solo. WHMs are in such demand because 99% of players out there are kids who want to be an invincible superhero, not a weakling white mage, even if that white mage can lift combat characters to new heights. They want to be the lifted, not the lifter.

Garland
04-21-2004, 02:18 AM
Believe me, at first I was flattered. I saw all of these people getting booted or ignored, and people would seek me out from several zones away, willing to wait 30 mins or more just to have me in the group. My ego was so large it was about to burst. Now, however, I have a regular party of people I know will keep my fragile, healing self alive, and while I still appreciate the attention, it has begun to become grating.

As for being the supporter and not the supported, I like that role. Everyone and their brother is a black armored "damage dealer" these days (Read: Drk Knight and Dragoon because evil is cool). Being different is cool, because one doesn't need a scythe to survive in Vanadiel.

Lionx
04-21-2004, 03:07 AM
Its better than in RO where they walk up to you and say "heal plz" and expect you to be their healing machine =/

Citizen Bleys
04-21-2004, 01:08 PM
Its better than in RO where they walk up to you and say "heal plz" and expect you to be their healing machine =/

Hear, hear.

Don Salieri
04-21-2004, 09:12 PM
well if is really that bad just go /anon and nobody will bother you any longer. the only time i dont have /anon on is when im already in a party or seeking for one, and alot of the time is just to get invites and tell them NO!!!! :tongue:

Garland
04-21-2004, 09:37 PM
It's actually not that bad anymore. I noticed the invites really flare up to obscene levels in Valkrum Dunes and the Maze of Shakrami (and the adjacent areas). It must be a level range issue. People in areas weaker than those don't need parties, and people in areas higher than those already have established groups. Since I'm level 16, and in the process of preparing to get a subjob in the near future, I've been spending quite a bit of time in those areas (darn Ghouls).

Learza
06-02-2004, 08:20 PM
live it up whiners...u signed on the line for whm/rdm... i love my rdm i would neva change...ive met so many greatppl and sum bad... for the most part being in demand is a good thing...get urself a good pty add them to ur frnd list and lvl with thses guys all the time...if u go around /shouting WHM ON DUTY..wtf do u expect..ur gona get 50 /tells plz raise im dead///lol/// nehow... be flattered ur wanted in a grp i party myself with a whm and a mnk and a blm...us 4 can beat teh hell out of i.t. enemies with ease....long live the RDM

Citizen Bleys
06-02-2004, 10:05 PM
Would you care to rephrase that in a manner which is somewhat...oh, I don't know...coherent?

Garland
06-03-2004, 07:14 AM
Shouting WHM on duty? I think you replied to the wrong thread. Noone here claimed that. Also, noone's whining. Third, I don't have raise. When I do get raise, I'll be happy to raise anyone who asks, but in the mean time, I travel /anon. Fourth, being "in demand" is a good thing; people who make no distinction between a "Seeking Party" flag and the lack thereof are not good things. I wasn't complaining about getting bogged with requests for parties when I'm looking for parties. I was annoyed that whilst I only seek party members that have their flag up, many times, I'm not given the same luxury. But that was a while ago. This doesn't even bother me now. I no longer feel obligated to reply to every tell. If I offend someone by ignoring them, then all the better that they not try to steal me from another party.

Lionx
06-08-2004, 09:17 AM
Ok heres the thing, we DONT HAVE TO HELP YOU AT ALL. Its nice to do so and yes i would help, but we arent there to serve your needs on a velvet carpet and on a silver platter. WHMs and RDMs that help you are based on being nice, and is really a privilage, not something we have to do.

White Mage Nico
06-08-2004, 03:10 PM
I have a few things to say n,n 1. Don't get too angry, or your day is RUINED! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! 2. I am a superhero WHM lol
and 3. I am a white mage, I dont really get many invites lol pretty much bc no one helpoed me get to sandoria and I died like mad and now im lvl 10.... lol
:shame: :cry: :eep:

Kalel
06-08-2004, 10:10 PM
Well once your 55+ the opposite will happen: fewer requests. Yes, fewer requests, cause either not many ppl your lvl or already in parties.

Jalbrean
06-08-2004, 10:59 PM
That's true of every class though. Some more then others. I look forward to my hours of waiting on a party as a Dragoon. ;p

EternalBahamut
06-09-2004, 01:27 AM
I think that is why Link Shells are so important because at the higher levels it takes so long to level. Currently I m at lv 18 and Jabrean is what 38ish Dragoon. I'll work my but off over the next week or 2 to get the main job I want and lv it up and Maybe catch up enough to make it worthwhile partying with him. By the end of the month I could probably be close enough to pt (especially if he keeps helping people and works on his other jobs and gives me a chance to catch up). I can probably almost catch up to him to lv 38 quicker then he could get up to 40+.

Jalbrean
06-09-2004, 11:54 AM
No worries there. Most of my time will be spent acquring some much needed money for upgrades. I don't have any real plans to do much leveling. If any, so now is your chance to catch up. ;>