PDA

View Full Version : Most users ever online was 91

Strider
04-21-2004, 12:07 PM
This was just something I thought of right now.

I was glancin' over the memberlist just now, seein' what all of the people in the forums were up to, when I noticed something. Apparently, the largest number of people that has ever been active on the Eyes on Final Fantasy Forums is 91. That was on May 13, 2003.

Was that day special for some reason, or was it just a coincidence that so many people crossed through here? Either way, I just thought to myself how cool it would be if we could crack the century mark. 100 people on the forums at the same time.

How long has this place been around? Four or five years? Thousands and thousands of visitors, and yet never 100 people on the forums at a time. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course, but it should just. . . be done.

Next time we have something really important come around, we should get as many people together as possible. Or hell, we could just do it whenever! At any rate, in conclusion, that kind of stuff, that 91 is bothering me. It should be a cool 100.

Discuss.

Misfit
04-21-2004, 12:18 PM
I agree. @_@

I saw that a few days ago and thought of something similar, but y'know, I just let it go... :tongue:

BUT NOT NOW!

crono_logical
04-21-2004, 12:23 PM
It could easily have been skewed by someone using attachments here and remote linking (although people would have got an error message anyway since you have to log in to see attachments), artificially making the number higher due to large amounts of guests :p Well, if it was firaly real, then perhaps we'll see something similar again in May, since I wouldn't be surprised if the traffic goes up and down in a regular pattern over a period of a year - bit like how December/January is always quiet compared to normal :p

Mikztsu
04-21-2004, 12:33 PM
Could've been Ciddies day? It was around that time. *shrug*

Loony BoB
04-21-2004, 12:36 PM
The Ciddies were in June and it seems no official awards were going on in May. However, I did find this: http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=33422

And I'm pretty sure there were a few more threads made by Bleys and Unne aimed at each other in some kind of way, all made on that day. If anything, I imagine that would have bumped activity. Good times.

Agent Proto
04-21-2004, 12:44 PM
Even though EoFF is a large forum, it usually averages around 25 or so members online at a time. Have you noticed that most of the members here that are online are those who don't spam and whatnot?

Take a look at other forums similar to this one. Take FFWA for example. that forum averages more members than EoFF, but also has a higher percentage of crap members.

With more members comes more crap.

Peegee
04-21-2004, 01:44 PM
We *could* molecularly duplicate PG several dozen times and have them all access EoFF from the school computer lab. What do you say about that?

Actually you know what? I think I can go around the comp lab, load up EoFF as a guest, and then boost the numbers that way. Talk about cheating eh.

Baloki
04-21-2004, 03:33 PM
Unless their all on the same IP

*He thinks not having a clue if thats how this board picks it up...*

Polaris
04-21-2004, 03:35 PM
Congratulation.... :boohoo:

crono_logical
04-21-2004, 04:51 PM
Unless their all on the same IP

*He thinks not having a clue if thats how this board picks it up...*Nah, the board doesn't count by IP, more likely by session id - I've had 3 on at once from the one IP and they all show up individually in the Who's Online but with the same IP - me, a test account in another browser, and lurker on the laptop :p

Rainecloud
04-21-2004, 05:26 PM
We should christen it: "Eyes on Final Fantasy Day".

Psychotic
04-21-2004, 07:17 PM
Or "Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Day".

Strider
04-21-2004, 09:23 PM
Or "100 Users on the Board Day". Hey, it gets the point across. :p

Flying Mullet
04-21-2004, 09:29 PM
Can we name it "Flying Mullet Day"? :chef:

Peegee
04-21-2004, 11:25 PM
Let's call it omfgsars day in honour of pies

Del Murder
04-22-2004, 02:35 AM
I think it was a glitch, if I remember correctly the server was screwy and it showed way more members than there actually were.

DMKA
04-22-2004, 02:48 AM
The Ciddies were in June and it seems no official awards were going on in May. However, I did find this: http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=33422

And I'm pretty sure there were a few more threads made by Bleys and Unne aimed at each other in some kind of way, all made on that day. If anything, I imagine that would have bumped activity. Good times.
OMG where the hell was I when that was going on?!?!?

I just almost died of laughter and I'm STILL laughing at that thread. By FAR one of the best ever. :p

Yeah, I think that had something to do with it.

Yamaneko
04-22-2004, 04:07 AM
I think there was a thread asking what your name was on that day. I answered "Joe".

Casey
04-22-2004, 05:50 AM
Was that day special for some reason, or was it just a coincidence that so many people crossed through here? Either way, I just thought to myself how cool it would be if we could crack the century mark. 100 people on the forums at the same time.

How long has this place been around? Four or five years? Thousands and thousands of visitors, and yet never 100 people on the forums at a time. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course, but it should just. . . be done.

Yeah, but theres so many friggin ff sites out there and like games forums. Its probably not possible, or maybe so. Itd be cool though, to see alot of people on eoff like that day.

Dr Unne
04-22-2004, 06:32 AM
<i>I think it was a glitch, if I remember correctly the server was screwy and it showed way more members than there actually were.</i> --Del Murder

Yes, there was a glitch once where no one was deleted from the Who's Online list for a very long time after they appeared on it. I remember it because immediately afterwards, the entire MB crashed, and then I think I was talking to Master Vivi about it. Hard to remember. May have been one of those times when the server's clock got randomly reset.

Duo
04-22-2004, 05:45 PM
What's so special about 100? What, it's the first three digit number? Just change your number representation to the base 9.1 and it is 100! (Can you change it to 9.1? I have no idea how that would work. :-()

Or change it to base 2 and it'll be huge. 8-)

hi!

Sephex
04-22-2004, 06:27 PM
If you really want to get over 100 people online at once here, you have to band peopel together and tell them to leave a window open while being logged in! Just hope that no one screws with your screen name if you are not around.

Dr Unne
04-22-2004, 06:37 PM
I'm pretty sure even if you leave a browser window open, you're removed from the list after a certain period of inactivity. The server can't detect whether you have a window open or not after all. Maybe if you leave your browser window open looking at the Who's Online list it'd work, since that page auto-updates itself every couple minutes.

Loony BoB
04-22-2004, 06:52 PM
Unless you have a good connection and stay on the Who's Online page. The Who's Online page refreshes every minute and ensures that your cookies stay active. At least, it did in vB2.