PDA

View Full Version : Umm.. who are you?

Xander
04-22-2004, 11:27 AM
If you see someone when you're out somewhere or whatever and they know you, and they're all like "Hey, how are you, you've changed, what are you doing now and stuff", and you have NO idea who they are what do you do?

Do you just ask them who they are or do you feel silly doing that? I work at a supermarket sometimes and I'm always serving people who know who I am but I have no idea who they are. Usually I don't ask them cos I feel silly saying "That's great, but who are you?" so I try and guess, or just keep talking to them hoping I'll remember. *is silly*

Does this ever happen to you?

Peegee
04-22-2004, 11:41 AM
General rules of etiquette states that if you have no idea who a person is, it is better to admit fault than to hazard a guess. Lower the blow of your inability to remember somebody's name by remembering and stating something you know about that person ("We met at Krissy's party. You liked pie right? I'm sorry but I forgot your name").

It doesn't happen to me because I don't keep many friends in my company. The worst case scenario is if some misc member from my high school appears out of nowhere. I don't/can't be bothered to remember them all. Oh well. I didn't like them anyway.

Also I don't usually use people's names in conversations. I just say "hey" and "excuse me" and stuff like that. Never "Hey Jimbo, wanna pie?"

Baloki
04-22-2004, 11:54 AM
I usually scream in shock and then go calmly whats your name?

Of course afterwards everyone stares at me and I feel really stupid, but hey it works :D

edczxcvbnm
04-22-2004, 12:07 PM
I can never remember anyone's name or even who they are half the time, BUT appearntly everyone under the happy sun knows who I am!!! I am sorry I don't remember you from high school or where ever but I didn't hang out with you so you were flushed from my memory as you are conisdered a minor person in my mind. NO GO AWAY!

I am usually able to pull of knowing the person. I can't wait till I move away from where I am right now. Then I will not have to deal with this crap any more and go any where and be care free about it. If there is one thing I hate it is running into people I know who are not my friends. I just want to say 'Hi' and nothing more. I am not you FRIEND! I DO NOT HANG OUT WITH YOU! DIE YOU SCUM!

Misfit
04-22-2004, 12:22 PM
I usually say it before they say anything. It's like:

person: H-
me: "WHO ARE YOU!??!11/1!!"

Yeah, something like that. And if I still don't know them, I pick up a nearby animal and throw it at them then gallop on all fours back home. ^_^

Loony BoB
04-22-2004, 12:46 PM
Haha, when Mum used to introduce me to people - no matter who they were or what they did - I would casually ask "Name?" and get the troubles over and done with. Good times. It was amusing because it was so rude that the people often laughed.

Ryoko Masaki
04-22-2004, 02:27 PM
i always say... ehh yea Hi..i'm kinda busy so talk to you next time..then walk away..

Erdrick Holmes
04-22-2004, 02:28 PM
Usually it's most likely somebody I'm trying to avoid so I don't say a word to them, but sometimes they come speak to me and I either say "hi" back or "Piss off."

Levian
04-22-2004, 03:11 PM
I often remember where they are from, but I also often forget their names :p It's very annoying. I usually remember everybody's name at school, but when it comes to life outside school, I tend to forget :p Weirdness. Anyway, I just play along and avoid saying their name until someone else does.

escobert
04-22-2004, 03:31 PM
I don't talk to people.

PeTeRL90
04-22-2004, 04:26 PM
Oh yea. That happens to me a lot.

Makes me feel like I'm being stalked or something, mainly because I've never seen those people before.

Sephex
04-22-2004, 06:22 PM
It happens to me all the time. I sometimes don't remember who the person is. I usually play it off though.

Shlup
04-22-2004, 08:03 PM
I generally play it off, though it doesn't happen often. I generally make it a point to remember people's names, and I find it rude when someone who I've spoken to on several occasions can't make the effort to remember mine.

Lindy
04-22-2004, 09:34 PM
"Hey it's you! How are you man? Have a nice week?"
"I'm sorry, who are you?"
"You don't remember me, man, I'm so insulted! ...Oh wait, sorry, wrong person"

Whoops you silly person.

Del Murder
04-23-2004, 05:55 AM
No. I remember everyone I've ever met. Yesterday I saw my old manager from Longs whom I haven't seen in six years. I was about 100 feet away and only saw the back of his head but I knew exactly who it was. didn't talk to him though.

Meat Puppet
04-23-2004, 06:05 AM
I do remember anyone I meet, and I usually meet them at school. If I see them outside of school, I usually freak out and run away so conversation doesn't occur.

escobert
04-23-2004, 06:13 AM
That's it I'm comming to your house so you won't have anywhere to run to.

Mo-Nercy
04-23-2004, 06:19 AM
I try to remember everyone I meet but if someone comes up to me and starts talking, then I'll usually just talk to them as well. Since most of the people I meet like the same things, I can just be like "Hey, played DDR lately?" if it's a girl and "Hey, still play Initial D?" if it's a guy. The conversation ends after we're done talking about that. So :D

zacks_clone
04-23-2004, 06:23 AM
I usually scream in shock and then go calmly whats your name?

Of course afterwards everyone stares at me and I feel really stupid, but hey it works :D

:: nodd nodd :: yup.

Breine
04-23-2004, 12:27 PM
When I can't remember peoples' names and such, I'm usually drunk as hell. :)