PDA

View Full Version : Sex Cleavage

Shlup
04-23-2004, 02:24 AM
"Sex cleavage" is a term used to describe the tendancy for people to "hang out" with people of their own gender. While its up for debate whether this behavior falls into the category of "nature" or "nurture" in the age-old debate versus the two, one thing remains true:

I prefer the company of males.

When I was a little girl I had a couple of close female friends, but when we were on the playground I mostly played with boys. In junior high school I went through a phase were the lunch table I sat at was inhabited by only females, but the only one of those friendships that lasted once high school started was with Ashley (aka TheAbominatrix).

I have plenty of friends, but only two of my close friends are female:

1) Brandy, who is a Mormon and is far away and nearly un-reachable on her mission, and is entirely too close to my mother anyway so that if I tell her anything she will almost certainly casually mention it to my mother in conversation.
2) Ashley, who has spent the last three years without going to work or to school and I swear to God if I spend more than a few hours with her every couple of weeks I am going to punch her in the face for reasons that may or may not be obvious. Also, she hardly counts as a female. I mean seriously.

Other than that my next two closest female friends are Kim (Sean's wife), who, in reality, I've seen probably less than seven times in the last two years. We were friends in elementary school though and I always have a soft spot for childhood friends, and Nicky. The latter being a member here, Calliope, who I've never even so much as talked to on the phone, just sent a couple of letters back and forth.

This only started to bother me, though I can't say it really bothers me, when the subject of myself and BJ someday having bachelor/bachelorette parties. Think about it... My party will consist of a Mormon, a lazy psychopath, and maybe Sean's wife. My wedding party will obviously be Ashley and Brandy and BJ's little sister, while BJ has a hearty supply of as many groomsmen as he wants.

I still don't have a point though. Uhm... *thinks*

Oh yeah, my point was to ask everyone about whether their friendships are mostly of their gender or of the other. And if I'm weird. And if Ashley counts as a female or not.

P.S. No, I'm not engaged, the topic just came up for no reason.

Yamaneko
04-23-2004, 02:31 AM
Most of my friends are guys. Guys are easier to talk to than women. We aren't ambiguous and get straight to the point. Afterwards, we play it off and watch a Lakers/Dodgers/Raiders game. For me, women are a few friends, but not close friends, and my mom! :D

TheAbominatrix
04-23-2004, 02:38 AM
xD YOU SHUT UP!

I have a nice mix nowadays, really. When I was a kid I typically only had guy friends, because I was too much of a tomboy. Then for a while I only had chick friends, and now I have a pretty good mix.

I typically find it easier to relate with guys... because, as much as I'll yell at Mandee about it, I'm not much of a female. I just find guys easier to talk to, because most girls arent into video games and making asses out of themselves.

Erdrick Holmes
04-23-2004, 02:52 AM
The majority of my friends are male. My ignorant mom thinks I'm gay because of that?

fire_of_avalon
04-23-2004, 03:00 AM
I think alot of my really close friends are chicks, but I honestly tend to get along with my guy friends better, and I also my guy friends easier than I do chick friends, especially nowadays.

btw, just to make things especially clear (because mistakes have happened once or twict) I am female.

PeTeRL90
04-23-2004, 03:01 AM
Most of my friends are guys, and I find it easier to talk to them about stuff. Besides, I'm real bashful if I'm around a group of girls, although they say that's cute.

Ichy
04-23-2004, 03:15 AM
I go to school most of the day and can't stand the people there, so they don't count... I go to work most nights and "get along" with the people there out of sheer circumstance, so they don't really count either. All the other "friends" I had were either drug addicts or alcoholics, and I haven't done any drugs in years and I'm struggling back and forth with not drinking so... out of necessity, they don't count either. My only true friends are the people in the linkshell Windurst Liberation Army (see rockin sig), one of whom lives in the same town as me... Nice to have a tangible person to spend time and be honest with. Aside from him, the only real life tangible hear your voice shake your hand friend I have is a wonderful person I met at a party in November... who was only in town for 3 days and went home to Pittsbhurg the next day. Still, we talk on the phone a fair bit and she's coming up to visit for a week next Tuesday, so that's cool.

There ya go. I have 2 RL friends (one male and one female), a whole bunch of people who I know and basically just try to get along with when necessary, and an entire community on-line where gender really doesn't make any differance. Guess that splits me right down the middle.

Jebus
04-23-2004, 03:17 AM
Nearly all of my friends are guys. Mostly because they're who I hung around with in elementary school and who some of said elementary school peoples introduced me too. That plus I have an almost complete inability to talk to girls. Its quite embarassing.

Teek
04-23-2004, 03:22 AM
I used to say they were almost chiefly female, I've really decided I prefer to "hang out" with males. Females are too whiny and decedant (haha, let the banning commence) for my own tastes, and most men, however stupid, tend to be at least direct about their stupiditity.

I have a mix, though. *shrug*

Random Tonberry
04-23-2004, 03:24 AM
Well I'm a girl, my circle of friends is something like, 35% straight men, 45% gay men, 10% transexuals, 5% butch lesbians, 3% fem lesbians, 2% straight females.

Kirobaito
04-23-2004, 03:27 AM
Most of my friends are guys, simply because, well, I'm in the "nerd" social group, and we generally just don't hang around girls all that much. :p I do have girl friends, but they're not as close as my guy friends. I'm not gay, but that's just the way it is. One of them is my best friend since kindergarten, the other I met in 6th grade, and the other 7th. They are my main friends. My girl friends are Asians that I've known since kindergarten.

Peegee
04-23-2004, 03:28 AM
"I hang out with guys most of the time"

RED FLAG RED FLAG RUN AWAY!!!!

Well no, both Mandee and Ashley are really cool friends, and since I have no sexual interest in them it's okay. BUT typically speaking I don't find girls who avoid this 'sex cleavage' thing (never heard of it; is it a noun or verb or pronoun?) to be incongruent females. Case-in-point would be my roommate/ex girlfriend who claims to be just one of the guys yet is in every conceivable way a female. I know this because I purposely engineered it so that she's always trying to get my attention. In the case of "meeting" Tokki, that was just too easy.

(ooc: I'm talking about the idea of a woman who was interested in you, but lost interest because you were clingy. To get her back simply don't pay attention to her; bonus points if you are seen interacting with other females)

Anyway, I don't have a healthy supply of friends. In fact aside from online friends, my real-life friends amounts to about one guy friend, unless you include the people I sometimes hang out with when I go out with my brother (which I really don't count as friends). So my female friends count is something like 3/4 (roommates - ex /roommates + ex), and I have one guy friend.

So I guess I fail the sex cleavage test too. Run away, women, run far and fast!

Shlup
04-23-2004, 03:40 AM
Well, yes, that's true that most females who don't have other female friends are evil when it comes down to it. Females often see other females as cometition for males and so don't want them around. I... sometimes have that problem. That's not usually it though.

Andex
04-23-2004, 03:54 AM
I have nothing to say, i was attracted to this thread because of the word cleavage.

Dr Unne
04-23-2004, 04:07 AM
I grew up only with my sister. I have plenty of guy friends, but that whole "talking to them" thing is a bit beyond me.

HOOTERS
04-23-2004, 04:08 AM
I have nothing to say, i was attracted to this thread because of the word cleavage.

Yeah me too. :cry: Cleavage only needs the one defenition imho.

I have mostly guy friends, but I have a lot of girl friends too but I only see them at parties and such.

Then there's my ho-train but that's really another thing altogether...

:smash::smash:

LH
04-23-2004, 04:11 AM
Most of my friends are male, and all of my best friends are male. There are some things you can do with girl friends and some things you can do with boy friends. There are things in my life that bring me so much joy that most girls don't understand.

Del Murder
04-23-2004, 06:03 AM
It's about even.

eestlinc
04-23-2004, 06:51 AM
i like being around women more, usually, except for close guy friends.

Mo-Nercy
04-23-2004, 07:15 AM
I spend my leisure time around my girlfriend's girlfriends and their boyfriends. It's about the same, even though I go to an all boys school.

Meat Puppet
04-23-2004, 08:18 AM
Equal amounts, now that I count it. We don't talk about different stuff than if it was guy, or if it was girl. It's alright.

black orb
04-23-2004, 08:23 AM
>>> All my friends are male, and the few girls I know are boring to talk..

Big D
04-23-2004, 09:19 AM
Most of my close friends are girls... My tastes, views and interests are shared by only a small group of people, most of whom happen to be female. It's been said that I'm more "in touch with my feminine side" because of my concern for emotional wellbeing and whatnot, but ultimately I just seem to get along well with more women than men. Having said that, my closest friend for quite a while was male, but then that ended.

Calliope
04-23-2004, 09:37 AM
Dude.

I was at dinner on Wednesday with a flock of girls I went to high school with, and I spent the entire evening I was with Studan, Towns and G playing video games or watching The Emperor's New Groove or whatever, instead of this stupid girly shiny gossipy crap with the squealing and the cosmopolitan quizzes and the whole 'communication and let's talk about our feelings' rubbish.

Man, I'm so deprived of guy friends now. I'm getting used to it.

Amanda, have your wedding in Auckland. Joe, come here now.

ZuZu
04-23-2004, 09:50 AM
Well, my very dearest friend is girl and we can talk EVERYTHING. My closest cousins are guys so I have spend a lot of time with them and my friend can see that. I play games(a lot), I don't usually make up at all and sometimes I burb :D
I'm very happy that I have some guy friends *hug them* because sometimes it's fun talk with them different things than I talk with my girl friends.

Calliope
04-23-2004, 09:54 AM
I suppose I should add that my good friends such as Panzerknacker and Shaz are awesome, but are far too busy with their boyfriends to socialize anymore. Bah! Bah I say! Give me PS2 and capos, or give me death!

Peegee
04-23-2004, 10:04 AM
Joe, come here now.

*whipcrack*

I have female friends, but I'll sooner turn up the music or just plain walk away if they ever start getting all 'sharing their feelings' with me. In fact, my roommates are pretty cool. The two sorority girls just go out dancing/drinking with me, the other girl upstairs shares my wrestling passion, and my ex....

Well she'll do just about anything to drive me insane apparently. A few days ago she comes barging in and starts sharing some misc stories about her guy friends back at home. I'm here chatting with DCI Superfan or Tokki or Mandee or somebody while listening to music, so I don't really care.

*tap tap*

*turn*

She smiles

I turn away

(repeat the above several times)

She starts talking about her friends. I put on my headphones and turn up the music.

Sheesh, I'm NOT a girl. I don't do 'listen'. :grumble:

So why don't I hang out with guys? Because the typical exchange I have heard from my experience is:

a) omfg lets [insert graphic and/or disturbing portrayals of coitus/other non-family-friendly acts] or [insert alcohol related stupidity]

b) omfg women are [insert ignorant babble often solvable with the response 'you just suck with females]

Women are in theory the lesser of evils, though in Sept I will have to move, and I think I'll end up at a guys-only house. Whatever.

Loony BoB
04-23-2004, 12:24 PM
The old gang at school consisted of three guys and a crowd of around ten girls. Good times. From when I was still in NZ, my closest friends were Nikkei (Calliope), Sus (ms_devli), G (Raven), Stuballs (Nandor), Binda (Driftwood) and Mia (never registered). There was also Sus' friends who I would visit whenever I was down at her place (Sus is my cousin and lived five hours away), and they were Abs, En and Kez (all girls). I was pretty close to Sam and maybe Danielle, too, as far as have-fun-friends go. Uhhhmmm... online my closest friends have more often than not been girls. I'm closer to Kath, Sapphy, Nikkei, Stef, Emma, Ally, Laura, Sarah... the list goes on. There have been a few guys I feel I've been close to for a decent length of time, though, including Robb, Britt, Matt, Majin and blox. I chat to Roogle a lot these days, too.

Everyone I've listed will probably be surprised on some level that I said their name 'cause even though I'm close to them, I don't chat very often these days regardless. D'oh.

Overall, it's pretty even, although I prefer the company of a female to the company of a male because I find them easier to talk to and in most cases joke with. All of my major best friends over the years have been females.

gokufusionss1
04-23-2004, 12:32 PM
i'm male and allways found it easier to be friends with men i have no close female friends,
although i did when i was 16 have a close female friend but she was hot and i ended up in love with her.

Big D
04-23-2004, 12:49 PM
...this stupid girly shiny gossipy crap with the squealing and the cosmopolitan quizzes and the whole 'communication and let's talk about our feelings' rubbish.I don't particularly like that kind of behaviour from girls, either... my (female) friends aren't like that, perhaps a big reason they and I get along. On the other hand, I can't really stand "stereotypical male" behaviour of constant bragging about sexual objectification of women and the other profane garbage PeeGee mentioned. My male friends generally have plenty in common with me, too...

Polaris
04-23-2004, 01:09 PM
I don't have meany closes friend. My best friend died when I was 13 and I think taht it a was a big shock so I don't have many friends, also I knew yesterday that a friend of mine was saying bad of me, I mean what did I do to her?

I prefer male company because they're the one whom paly ff. I went to Oporto and the first thing when I told him "FF?" was "What?", so I told "Playstation?" and they "Disco?" and then I said "NO!" amnd they told me also "FF.. NO!" , so as may see it was love at 1st sigh...

But I was thinkin when I came her for the first tikme that I was going to get many friends!!!!!!!!! (NO Comment!)

Xander
04-23-2004, 02:01 PM
I don't have a lot of close friends anyway offline, but I'd say if you count online and offline friends together, I probably have more male friends. I find guys easier to get on with and less judgemental. Not saying that girls are all judgemental but I feel I'm judged more on what I look like or how I dress. Also a lot of my old school friends who are female, we got on okay at school, but I saw them the other day for a meet-up and we just had nothing in common now. Well correction, the four of them had nothing in common with me.

I feel more comfortable with guys and I know more guys who I can talk to, and are into the stuff I'm into. A lot of things, like personal things I wouldn't wanna talk about with girls, even my closest female friends, but it's cool to talk about stuff with guys. Talking about which girls we think are hot, for example xD

So yeah, it depends on the person really but I don't have many girlie-girl friends.

DMKA
04-23-2004, 05:46 PM
Hmm..back when I actually had friends...it was about even.

Now I have one semi-friend I see every now and then. Hes male as far as I know.

bennator
04-23-2004, 09:31 PM
I would say most of my friends are female, but it's like a 75%-25% split. I'm not a big fan of the "typical male behavior," so that means the guys I'm friends with are a select few.

(I'm male, BTW)

krissy
04-24-2004, 02:52 AM
i usually hang out with girls more often i like to think

actually i dont think about this at all, havent paid attention so i cant give you and average for this research assignment

Ultimate_Sandwich
04-24-2004, 03:48 AM
Well, I'm a guy... a straight one... and I prefer the company of guys. They are less complicated and we can insult each other to the core of our being only minutes before we forgive and forget. Forget, mainly. Girls stay pissed for eternity.

*Dylan

Shlup
04-24-2004, 05:22 AM
Amanda, have your wedding in Auckland.That would certainly cut down on the amount of "family" I hardly know showing up... but no. However, if you happened to be visiting Joe around that time and had the urge to roaf trip south a bit, I would be pleased.