PDA

View Full Version : Jobs

Kirobaito
04-23-2004, 04:56 AM
This is a thread about occupations. Have you ever been fired/quit from a job, and what was the reason? What do you do for a living?

My first job was a baseball umpire, and technically I still hold that position, but I'm now quitting. It takes thick skin and integrity that I lack. I suck at it. But hey, the money was great while it lasted.

Random Tonberry
04-23-2004, 04:59 AM
At my last job I was an American Airlines Ticket Agent... it sucked, I quit/was fired, yeah, I'm still looking for work.

escobert
04-23-2004, 05:00 AM
I've ben an emplyee for McDonalds for around 3 years now. I first was a grill person then I went to maintenance. Now I am a assistante manager but, I need more money/hours So I plan to quit and get a new job this summer.

Shlup
04-23-2004, 05:04 AM
My first job was at Disneyland. I didn't officially quit, but after my mom told me to quit I went to Disneyland as a guest fairly regularly until they fired me.

My second job was at Target. They was a horrible job. I walked out and left my resignation on the desk after ten days.

My third job was a substitute noon supervisor for the school district. I still have that job, but I only go when I want to, which I haven't in about a year now since I got another job.

Recently I stepped down as a teacher at a KinderCare to just a substitute so I can better focus on school. I go in when I want to.

I also help out with my boyfriend's parents' painting business when I want to.

My main job right now is to focus on school so that I can get my bachelor's degree and teaching credential and can be a public school teacher.

Kirobaito
04-23-2004, 05:06 AM
My main job right now is to focus on school so that I can get my bachelor's degree and teaching credential and can be a public school teacher.

HS, MS, or elementary school? You would be awesome to have as a teacher. :) Make sure to get a job at Southwest High School in Fort Worth. Sure, I won't be there if you go, but still...

PeTeRL90
04-23-2004, 05:24 AM
My first and only job was being a paper boy, but had to quit that job when I had to move.

Ever since, I've been jobless, but I've been searching frantically for one.

Del Murder
04-23-2004, 06:07 AM
Job 1: Retail clerk at the local drug store. Quit to move to college.
Job 2: Retail clerk at the University student store. Quit to get a better paying job.
Job 3: Administrative assistant in one of the college departments. Greatest job ever. I played on the internet and listened to my boss gossip all day. Quit when I graduated :(.
Current job: Data analyst for the same company in #1. It's great because all I do is crunch numbers and I am finally the mindless drone I've always wanted to be.

Calliope
04-23-2004, 09:46 AM
I really really really really really really really really want to quit my current job. Somebody invent some job for me and start giving me money.

Peegee
04-23-2004, 09:57 AM
Is this a resume thread?

First job: Cable installer; age 16-18; wage: 10$ - 12$
Second job: Wendy's employee: burger maker, morning prep; summer before I turned 19; wage: 7.25$ after some odd bonus (mim wage = 6.85 here)
Third job: Pharmacy misc employee; They needed somebody to help paint and set up a new section of the building (expansion); wage: 7$
Fourth job: Telecommunications Installer; age 21+; wage: 12$

There was some volunteering here and there. Day care and office aide.

The difference between the first and last job is (1) my experience in the field of telecommunications, (2) whether I could work on my own, (3) range of duties. For example when I started, all I did was install miles of CAT-5 data/CAT-3 voice cable and terminated them all at the site (not the closet), and then ran a tester on them all. Now I can terminate, troubleshoot, punch down CAT5 racks, punch down whatever that voice cable rack is called, install fiber optics, um...I don't remember what else actually, since all we do is install CAT5/5e/3 :p

Right now I'm unemployed.

Breine
04-23-2004, 12:23 PM
I quit my first job to get a better one. Then I got fired at the second job, but then they hired me for another job a week later :D

gokufusionss1
04-23-2004, 12:28 PM
i was a cleaner in the amry mess, quit because i couldn't be bothered to ride my bike up a 2 mile hill every weekend

metCloud
04-23-2004, 01:30 PM
Right now Im doing 2 jobs....running cars from auctions to my friends car lot and a parts runner. I also drop books and other stuff to stores.

Baloki
04-23-2004, 02:39 PM
Is this a resume thread?

First job: Cable installer; age 16-18; wage: 10$ - 12$
Second job: Wendy's employee: burger maker, morning prep; summer before I turned 19; wage: 7.25$ after some odd bonus (mim wage = 6.85 here)
Third job: Pharmacy misc employee; They needed somebody to help paint and set up a new section of the building (expansion); wage: 7$
Fourth job: Telecommunications Installer; age 21+; wage: 12$

There was some volunteering here and there. Day care and office aide.

The difference between the first and last job is (1) my experience in the field of telecommunications, (2) whether I could work on my own, (3) range of duties. For example when I started, all I did was install miles of CAT-5 data/CAT-3 voice cable and terminated them all at the site (not the closet), and then ran a tester on them all. Now I can terminate, troubleshoot, punch down CAT5 racks, punch down whatever that voice cable rack is called, install fiber optics, um...I don't remember what else actually, since all we do is install CAT5/5e/3 :p

Right now I'm unemployed.

The most you've ever earnt is $12, OMG, thats like nothing, they could have at least paid you $2 an hour and you probably would have earnt more.

Me, I was the schools webmonkey/manger/adviser/assistant until recently. I quit cos I have exams coming up and I need all the time to revise that I can....

Logan
04-23-2004, 02:58 PM
I've never been fired because I've never had a job. I'm a student. They can't fire me :D

Ichy
04-23-2004, 03:21 PM
Age 12-16: Sold Drugs.
Age 16-18: Sold "Fire Services".
Age 18-19: Sold Phone Packages... by phone...
Age 19-20: AutoCAD 14 -> Worked for an achitechture firm from home. Also began selling Flash to tattoo shops.
Age 20-21: Sold Knives door to door.
Age 21-22: School in Proffessional Travel Services.
Age 22-23: Sold Travel. Eventually stopped selling my drawings around this point.
Age 23-26 (present): Sell Retail Electronics (Radio Shack...unghhh...) and studying in IT Support Services to get my ass the Hell out of sales.

Baloki
04-23-2004, 03:27 PM
And your gonna move into support, how deluded you must be...

Ichy
04-23-2004, 03:33 PM
Naw, just jaded. Way I see it, I get an indeterminate government job, a decent pension, asingle room condo, and a motorcycle -> I'm a happy man.

It's nothing I haven't already been doing since 8, I just need the piece of paper ;)

escobert
04-23-2004, 05:04 PM
Oh yeah I sold drugs my freshmen year in High school.

m4tt
04-23-2004, 07:14 PM
1st job: I worked for Albertsons Grocery store for almost 4 years. I started out as a bagger, then worked my way up to Assistant Deli manager! Woo me!

Current job: I work for San Diego Gas & Electric drawing maps of the electric system.

Oh yeah I sold drugs my freshmen year in High school.

@_@

Shadraque
04-23-2004, 07:48 PM
I LOVE my job.

I work with international newspapers.. so I got to Brazil and Canada all the time, meet rich Journalists. I have been to 50 cities in 10 contries in the last 2 years. It's a lot of fun.

I used to be a waiter at the Olive Garden.. I LOVED that too.

Rainecloud
04-23-2004, 07:52 PM
I enjoy my job, even though it's been hellishly busy as of late. Besides my two week stint as a checkout assistant at the local supermarket (which I'm not counting as "proper employment"), I've only had one job. After I left College, I was looking forward to a long, relaxing six week break whilst I looked through the newpapers now and again for prospective jobs. I rang a few up and attended a few interviews, but I never expected to hear from any of them.

Two days into my holiday, one of the offices offered me a job, and I've been there ever since. Yeah, it sucked at the time, as I was looking forward to my holiday, but well, I'm happy and settled now.

Burtsplurt
04-23-2004, 08:34 PM
I left my first job as a trolley attendant when I went to university. I actually left twice: the first time I left was because they were giving me too many hours in exam times. They let me have some unpaid leave, so I went back for a few months... and then left again. I don't think they liked me...

A couple of years ago, I quit a job putting flat-pack furniture into boxes after 3 days, largely because I couldn't move after those 3 days. I was the only male on the production line, so I had to pack all the heavy stuff (table tops etc.). I still have nightmares.

I currently work for the Environment Agency in fisheries. I enjoy it.

Brian The Pink Shark
04-23-2004, 08:43 PM
I got fired from washing the dishes when my parents bought a dish washer :choc:

Cid
04-23-2004, 08:44 PM
I currently work at Kaiser Permanente 24 Hour Pharmacy. I don't like it. I constantly get yelled at by old people.

escobert
04-23-2004, 10:50 PM
Edit by Unne: Please don't talk about this kind of thing on the MB, thanks.

Loony BoB
04-23-2004, 11:18 PM
My first job was a help at a timber yard. Second job was a shop assistant at The Cheesecake Shop. Third job was at a furniture making shop. Current job is a mix between: SAX Controller, MADC Co-ordinator, Engineer Scheduler, Project Manager. So basically IT services. I work at a company called Computacenter, some of you in UK/Europe might have heard of it.

RSL
04-24-2004, 02:30 AM
I've had a lot of jobs. I'll try to list them all.

1st job, when I was 17 I think, was for a telemarketing company. My job was to try to sell credit cards over the phone. It sucked. I quit after a month and a half.

2nd job: I worked at Kmart for about two years. I started out as a cashier, but I think by the end I had done every job there at some point (besides things like management.) I even worked the overnight stocking shift for a month. I quit because I felt I could make more money elsewhere.

3rd job: Pioneer seed corn plant. I was there about eight months. I did a whole range of things, from fixing pallets to working on the harvest. I was laid off after harvest and told that they probably wouldn't need me back for 3 or 4 months.

4th job: So I went to work at the Winnebago assembly plant that's somewhat near here. I worked on an assembly line. I basically unloaded parts off a line all day long, and put them on pallets. I hated working there. The overall environment was just drab. I lasted about 6 months there.

5th job: I worked in the paint department at Lowe's. This job was really fun. The problem was that it didn't pay well, and they wouldn't give me enough hours. I probably worked there for a year before I quit.

6th (and current job): I work at a lumberyard. I'm a delivery driver. There are good days and bad days. I've worked there since August of 2001. I would love to find something else, but with the slowing economy (and my lack of a college education) there's not a lot out there right now. So I'm just going to have to stick it out. There are lots of reasons that I hate this job, but it would take a long time to type out, and this post is long enough as it is.

I've never been fired from a job. I've quit 5 jobs. Yikes.