PDA

View Full Version : *rant* EoFF e-mail viruses!

eternalshiva
04-23-2004, 11:29 AM
>:/

I've received two e-mails in the last month from the source eyesonff.mail.everyone.net in my EoFF account [thus thinking the e-mail attached file was safe] and the latest one I got had the subject line as *Honey* and .wav attachement called 18k-252-thumb[1] but it turned out to be a virus called W32.Klez.H@mm. The first one was a attachement as .mid file from the same source and the same virus, but the file name was different, it was Set[1].mid.

It came from "Webmaster" and "Kagome06" and no, I didn't write down the e-mail adress, I just deleted the file without thinking Dr. Unne, I'm sorry, but I do have this: *attaches images of Virus Scan reports*

I'm not sure what that virus actually does, my computer doesn't seem to be affected since it cleaned it out but still >.< Just thought I would point it out to anyone who might want to contact and or make a announcement of somekind *CID* >.<

crono_logical
04-23-2004, 12:42 PM
It's possible for a virus to fake it's source address and it's actually coming from someone else that happens to have those addresses in their address book.

Kirobaito
04-23-2004, 05:48 PM
I thought that I had heard something about this awhile back. Perhaps it was a prophecy of some sort. Oh well, I've never gotten a virus.

Dr Unne
04-23-2004, 06:47 PM
Yeah, it could've come from anywhere. Those viruses are very common. They infect your computer, and you never know you have it; then your own computer randomly sends the virus to everyone you know, without you knowing about that either. And it forges the source address to be from someone in your address book, so that people are more likely to open it. That's how it spreads quickly.

If you avoid using Outlook / Outlook Express, you'll be much less likely to get those kinds of viruses. Also, never ever open an email attachment, even if you know who it's from (or who it LOOKS like it's from), unless you specifically know that someone is sending you something, or if the email is personalized to the point where there's no doubt who it's from. Don't even view it in a Preview pane. Disabling the Preview pane entirely is a good idea to be honest.

Strider
04-23-2004, 06:47 PM
Yeah, I get that kind of stuff all the time from various e-mails addresses. Kalinda, Roogle, Danny (I think). . . I think Roo mentioned at one point that sometimes it can create it's own spam e-mail and stuff, Idunno. You'll have to ask him.