PDA

View Full Version : Top Guitarists

Rigormortis
04-23-2004, 09:37 PM
Who do you think are the top 10 rockin guitarists (electric) alive today.

For a start, my top 10 are as follows, in some sort of order.
1. Joe Satriani (Solo)
2. Jimmy Page (Led Zepellin)
3. Kirk Hammet (Metallica)
4. Steve Vai (Solo)
5. Slash (G N R)
6. Brian May (Queen)
7. Dimebag Darrel (Pantera)
8. Yngwie Malmsteen (Solo (I think))
9. Eric Clapton (Solo)
10. Kim Thayil (SoundGarden)

Kirobaito
04-23-2004, 09:41 PM
Alive today?

1. Carlos Santana
2. Jimmy Page
3. Eric Clapton

I don't really include anyone else, because no one else really compares.

jrgen
04-23-2004, 09:47 PM
I'm to lazy to make a list.
Kirk Hammet is my favourite anyways.
Not technically, but his solos are genious.
And I think it's more important how the stuff you play sound then how hard it is to play.
It's after all coming up with stuff that's the tricky part.

Rigormortis
04-23-2004, 09:53 PM
To King Bahamut
you obviously haven't heard the likes of Joe Satriani.
Download some of his songs such as Satch Boogie, Big Bab Moon, or The Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing.

Also the idea of this thread is to submit 10 guitarists, or if you don't know that many who are any good then at least 5. I mean come on you've gor to have a wider taste than 3 guitarists. :tongue:

Kirobaito
04-23-2004, 09:54 PM
Fine.
4. Kirk Hammet
5. Charlie Daniels

metCloud
04-23-2004, 10:00 PM
Who do you think are the top 10 rockin guitarists (electric) alive today.

For a start, my top 10 are as follows, in some sort of order.
1. Joe Satriani (Solo)
2. Jimmy Page (Led Zepellin)
3. Kirk Hammet (Metallica)
4. Steve Vai (Solo)
5. Slash (G N R)
6. Brian May (Queen)
7. Dimebag Darrel (Pantera)
8. Yngwie Malmsteen (Solo (I think))
9. Eric Clapton (Solo)
10. Kim Thayil (SoundGarden)

That list is good. My fav. is Kirk Hammett, but not the best of course.

I would add John Petrucci, Eddie Van Halen, Zack Wylde(sp), Angus Young and Tom Morello. No particular order though because they are all good.

Chzn8r
04-23-2004, 10:55 PM
But his solos are genious.
And I think it's more important how the stuff you play sound then how hard it is to play.
It's after all coming up with stuff that's the tricky part.

When was the last time Kirk wrote a good solo? All the great ones from the 80s were written by Hetfield... and since Kirk doesn't even solo now... why do you bother praising him for his solos?

Kirk is just a washed up, sloppy player who uses to much wah-pedal.

Del Murder
04-24-2004, 02:06 AM
What about Van Halen?

Hendrix beats them all though.

The Captain
04-24-2004, 04:57 AM
Agreed, Hendrix was the greatest.

I'd go with Clapton myself, he's been playing forever and only gets better with each show. I've seen him live at least 20 times and each show is wonderful and unique in its own way. Besides, they don't call him "God" for nothing.

Another good choice is Trey Anastasio. I'm not a big Phish fan, but he's very good.

Take care all.

Mr. Graves
04-24-2004, 05:22 AM
Dr. Chud of the Misfits
Johnny Marr of the Smiths
J. Page
Slash

If bassists count, Flea.

metCloud
04-24-2004, 11:45 AM
Agreed, Hendrix was the greatest.

I'd go with Clapton myself, he's been playing forever and only gets better with each show. I've seen him live at least 20 times and each show is wonderful and unique in its own way. Besides, they don't call him "God" for nothing.

Another good choice is Trey Anastasio. I'm not a big Phish fan, but he's very good.

Take care all.

I caught a Clapton concert once and I must say he is amazing. I dont listen to him alot but when I do it inspires me to learn different material.

jrgen
04-24-2004, 12:13 PM
When was the last time Kirk wrote a good solo? All the great ones from the 80s were written by Hetfield... and since Kirk doesn't even solo now... why do you bother praising him for his solos?

Kirk is just a washed up, sloppy player who uses to much wah-pedal.
Hetfield huh?
I always assumed it was Kirk who made them as he played them.
Then James Hetfield is the genious.

muchacho
04-24-2004, 05:46 PM
he solos a little bit, but not as muuch as he used to. the big solos are done by kirk(like one and fade to black)

anyway my fav. is
hendrix, page, krik, clapton, eddie van halen, randy roades, angus young, zack wylde. no order

metCloud
04-24-2004, 06:22 PM
Hetfields solos are more simplistic than Kirks. ie. The first solo in Master of Puppets is done by Hetfield and its sounds so good even though its just a simple penatonic scale with a few bends. The second solo is Kirks and its full of fast Hammer ons and pull-offs, Legeto and unisone bends(sp). Hetfield wrote some badass solos but when you say Kirk is washed up...uhhhh... well, the last record didnt have them but go see him live and you would be amazed. That is how I determine good guitarist, live material is there true test. If I had the right equipment and lots of time, I could make a recorded track of Flight of the Bumblebee (Yngwie) and just do part by part and piece it together. What I like is the fact these guitarist can do these things no sweat on stage perfectly. Kirk uses alot of Wah but he does know how to use it good... Like I said earlier, not the best but my favorite.

fire_of_avalon
04-24-2004, 06:24 PM
he solos a little bit, but not as muuch as he used to. the big solos are done by kirk(like one and fade to black)

anyway my fav. is
hendrix, page, krik, clapton, eddie van halen, randy roades , angus young, zack wylde. no order
Thank you, you are my new hero :love:

And for the rest:

Jimmy Hendrix
Eric Clapton
Angus Young (if only for his energy)
Tom Morello
Allen Collins
No others, really. And No order.

IGN64skanker
04-24-2004, 09:41 PM
Tom Morello is my fave overall just because he can get more out of a guitar and effects than anyone else.

Herman Li (DragonForce)
Joe Satriani
Yngwie Malmsteen (I really don't like this guy, but he is good at guitar...)
Blake Sennett (Rilo Kiley. Not the best at all, I just like his songwriting and playing style)
Dave Knudson (Minus The Bear. Way technical)

I don't really feel like listing too many more... Minus the Bear is awesome.

Rigormortis
04-24-2004, 10:10 PM
At last I see someone who has heard of Satriani, he rules.

To the people who wrote Jimmy Hendrix. He was the particular reason I said guitarists ALIVE TODAY, cos I knew if I said ever he would no doubt appear all over the place.

trekull
04-24-2004, 10:35 PM
All great guitarists, but here are my overlooked favorites

1. Tom Petty, lots of great stuff, nice 12 string action
2. Jack White, he is the band and can make it happen live
3. Dave Grohl, multi talented
4. Chris Cornell, Somebody mentioned Kim, but no Chris?
5.6. Mike and Stone from Pearl Jam, great duo especially early on
7. Dave Navarro, especially with Jane's Addiction
8. Prince, don't laugh he is an AWESOME guitarist
9. Jewel, Courtney Love, Meredith Brooks, Sharyl Crow, and every other chick rocker, way to go
10. ME, I rock the hardest (if only in my own mind)

muchacho
04-24-2004, 11:28 PM
yeah, dave navarro, tom petty, dave grohl, prince, alex lifeson, and kyle grass (yes, K.G from tenacious D) cant be forgotten

Mwork
04-25-2004, 07:18 AM
1. John Petrucci (Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment)
2. Marcel Coenen (Sun Caged, solo)
3. Ron Jarzombek (Spastic Ink, Watchtower)
4. Herman Li (Dragonforce)
5. Ron Thal (Bumblefoot)
6. Steinar Gundersen (Spiral Architect)
7. Michael Romeo (Symphony X)
8. Luca Turilli (Rhapsody, solo)
9. Timo Tolkki (Stratovarius, solo)
10. Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom, Sinergy)

YES

Shockwave Pulsar
04-25-2004, 01:17 PM
1 . Michael Romeo
2 . John Petrucci
3 . Kiko Loureiro
4 . Yngwie Malmsteen
5 . Jason Becker :(

Chzn8r
04-25-2004, 06:10 PM
Hetfields solos are more simplistic than Kirks. ie. The first solo in Master of Puppets is done by Hetfield and its sounds so good even though its just a simple penatonic scale with a few bends. The second solo is Kirks and its full of fast Hammer ons and pull-offs, Legeto and unisone bends(sp). Hetfield wrote some badass solos but when you say Kirk is washed up...uhhhh... well, the last record didnt have them but go see him live and you would be amazed. That is how I determine good guitarist, live material is there true test. If I had the right equipment and lots of time, I could make a recorded track of Flight of the Bumblebee (Yngwie) and just do part by part and piece it together. What I like is the fact these guitarist can do these things no sweat on stage perfectly. Kirk uses alot of Wah but he does know how to use it good... Like I said earlier, not the best but my favorite.

I didn't doubt Kirk's ability to play... back then... I pointed out that he didn't write the solos. Hetfield and Burton did...

And yes, he is sloppy and washed up now. Maybe you have a different definition for it... but my brother sure doesn't, and he didn't enjoy Kirk's playing at all seeing Metallica last summer. He is nowhere near his skill of long ago.

Zell's Fists of Fury
04-25-2004, 07:16 PM
John Frusciante :cool:
And seriously. Hendrix owns everyone.

admat97
04-25-2004, 08:02 PM
What about Al Pitrelli?

Moose Knight
04-26-2004, 12:21 AM
If I had the right equipment and lots of time, I could make a recorded track of Flight of the Bumblebee (Yngwie) and just do part by part and piece it together.

Are you saying that fast guitarists such as Malmsteen, Petrucci, or Satriani piece each solo they do note by note during long hours in the recording room? I hope to hell that's not what you mean, because that's just stupid.

Anyway, even if that is what they did, they can still play their fast solos live, just the speed they were on their recording (if not faster), so it wouldn't even matter.

Best guitarists who don't play classical...

1. Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)
2. John Petrucci (Dream Theater)
2. Joe Satriani (Solo)
2. Yngwie J. Malmsteen (Solo)
5. Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen)
6. James Hetfield (Metallica)
7. Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath)
8. Adrain Smith (Iron Maiden)
9. Alex Lifeson (Rush)
10. Michael Romeo (Symphony X)

Chzn8r
04-26-2004, 03:14 AM
(if not faster)

That reminds me... on the Dream Theater tour with Queensryche last summer, in boston, they played the middle section of Metropolis at 2x speed... as if it weren't already fast enough. Man, those guys are monsters!

Oh... and... how can you put up Adrian Smith, and not Dave Murray? The sum of the parts are not as great as the whole... or whatever. Basically, these guys are probably the best guitarist duo in metal, but individually, they're just... other metal guitarists.

Calliope
04-26-2004, 05:25 AM
GEORGE HARRISON <3

:love:

Rostum
04-26-2004, 05:30 AM
Hendrix
Jeff Martin
Slash
Jeff Buckley
John Butler
Hammet
Xavier Rudd
Carlos Santana
Robert Johnson
John Mayer (despite his pop image, he IS a brilliant guitarist, you should hear some of his blues solos, they are brilliant).

It's really a matter of what style guitaring you like, and what style the player plays.

Yeah some of them are Australian artists, very very VERY good on guitar, but you might not have heard them.

jrgen
04-26-2004, 02:41 PM
Speed has never impressed me.
Ok, if they want to show off their wanking hands on stage,
but there is nothing I hate more then having to hear that shit on albums.

Erdrick Holmes
04-26-2004, 04:36 PM
<b>1 . Michael Romeo</b>
2 . John Petrucci
3 . Kiko Loureiro
4 . Yngwie Malmsteen
5 . Jason Becker :(

Hell yeah, dude.

Anyway
1. Michel Romeo
2. Van Halan

Those are the only two I can think of.

Moose Knight
04-28-2004, 10:28 PM
That reminds me... on the Dream Theater tour with Queensryche last summer, in boston, they played the middle section of Metropolis at 2x speed... as if it weren't already fast enough. Man, those guys are monsters!

Oh... and... how can you put up Adrian Smith, and not Dave Murray? The sum of the parts are not as great as the whole... or whatever. Basically, these guys are probably the best guitarist duo in metal, but individually, they're just... other metal guitarists.

Yeah, I can remember Yngwie J. Malmsteen playing the song "Trilogy" on the live album I own a hell of a lot faster than it is on the CD.

The reason that I put Adrian Smith on the list and not Dave Murray is mainly because of the album Somewhere in Time. Most of the songs before that album were written by Steve Harris, but Adrian Smith wrote many of the better songs on Somewhere in Time (Also, he was the one responsible for their change in sound on that album, because he introduced the band to synths). So, really, I put Adrian Smith on that list instead of Dave Murray because of the unique way he wrote some of the songs on that album.

Chzn8r
04-28-2004, 11:24 PM
Well, that is a good reason. I did always wonder who was responsible for the synth that came in around that album and Seventh Son... guess it was Adrian!
And also- what do you think of Janick Gers? And about the 3 guitarist lineup Maiden has now?

jrgen
04-29-2004, 04:02 PM
I laugh everytime I see the "name" Yngwie Malmsteen.
The music sucks though.

Moose Knight
04-29-2004, 08:45 PM
Well, that is a good reason. I did always wonder who was responsible for the synth that came in around that album and Seventh Son... guess it was Adrian!
And also- what do you think of Janick Gers? And about the 3 guitarist lineup Maiden has now?

I haven't heard enough of Janich Gers, but I have heard Fear of the Dark though, which is pretty good, but i wouldn't list him along-side Adrian or Dave. about the current three-member guitarist line-up, though, I'd say its good but they could really use all three players to a greater advantage. They could do things like triple leads, but they don't.

I laugh everytime I see the "name" Yngwie Malmsteen.
The music sucks though.

What the hell is that supposed to mean? You laugh every time you see the "name?" Why is 'name' in quotes? Are you saying its incorrect for rockstars to have fake names? Are you a crack addict?

I'll disregard the 'music sucks though' seeing as it comes from the fan of 4-note industrial "music."

jrgen
04-29-2004, 10:10 PM
What the hell is that supposed to mean? You laugh every time you see the "name?" Why is 'name' in quotes? Are you saying its incorrect for rockstars to have fake names? Are you a crack addict?

I'll disregard the 'music sucks though' seeing as it comes from the fan of 4-note industrial "music."
I apologize about the "the music sucks though".
I should've put it more like "I don't enjoy the music though."
To me his stuff ís only hard to pull off but doesn't sound good.

I laugh at his name as I find it funny to turn Yngve Malmsten into Ynwie Malmsteen.
I'm sorry if you were offended by that.

And what do you know about the music I listen to?
The only bands you could possibly have heard of that I listen to are
Metallica, Rammstein and KMFDM and they are not even close to being my favourite bands.

And yes I'm a crack addict.

Skogs
04-29-2004, 11:46 PM
Mark Knopfler. :mad2: