PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy Constants

The Captain
04-24-2004, 07:46 AM
It's been said that Final Fantasy's greatest strength and weakness is that each game is apart from all the others, that they connect really only in the name, but each game tells its own unique story. However, there are obvious ties to each game such as chocobos, magic, various items that are always in games, and the like.

My question for you today is simple: Has there been any aspect in any of the games that you wished would become a constant throughout the rest of the series?

For example:

I prefer the fact that in FF8 you saw all the active members of your party. For some reason, that appealed to me more, and I hope that in future games they do this as well instead of still only showing the lead character.

Enough about me though. What do you all think?

Take care all.

Del Murder
04-24-2004, 08:13 AM
I like it too. It didn't make sense that the only person on screen was the main character. Then again, being able to lug all those items around didn't make much sense either.

I was glad when the dash button became a constant. Walking sucks.

I wish all your characters would get exp even when you don't use them, like maybe half that of the active party. Similar to FFVII. I also like the abaility to switch out your members mid battle, but I can see where that would be hard in an ATB setting.

The Captain
04-24-2004, 08:17 AM
Definitely Del. I enjoyed being able to swap out characters whenever we wanted to in FFX, and being able to do that would solve the EXP problem as well because if you used each character in a fight, they'd all gain experience.

As for the item problem... perhaps the more items they have, the slower they can run?

I'd also REALLY like to hear more orchestrated versions of songs in the actual flow of the game. Don't get me wrong, the music in the games is wonderful, but if they had these songs orchestrated, wow, that would be quite a feat in my opinion.

Take care all.

skatehippie
04-24-2004, 09:21 AM
So far I agree with you guys on those constants...not like it's THAT bad but it's quite tedious to have to go through PHS or something just to adjust a certain character (FF7) as where in 8 you can tweak anybody from one screen.

Running: I wish they'd thought of that in 97...playing FF7 and Xenogears would be slightly more fun in that case.

Changing characters: Very awesome in my opinion. Yes each game has a "main" character...but thats for the STORY. When in BATTLE I want all my chars to get some action and not be 10 levels behind the lead guy(s).

One thing I don't like is the whole "class varient" thing...Yeah I guess it'd be convenient to be able to have three black mages/warriors/thieves/whatever, but I like each character having his/her own forte'. In X all the characters pretty much had their place, but the sphere grid could change that if you really wanted to. In other words, Lulu was THE black mage imo and it tarnishes the appeal if you can just teach the black magic to Kimahri as well. I didn't have a problem with the dresspheres in X-2 though...I think it's cuz of the costume changes...made it much more realistic.

Summons: use them like characters like in X! I loved how when you used an aeon, you controlled it and battled instead of just waching one 30 second animation.

Loony BoB
04-24-2004, 09:41 AM
Decent endings.
World maps you can roam around on (I hate FFX not having that).
Semi-Hidden characters (example: Vincent).

And although it's not been done to my knowledge: The ability to keep playing the game once you've 'finished' it. In other words, you can go around the world being praised as a hero and complete and side-quests you missed, and stuff. One thing I didn't like about VII was that you didn't get to see anything after the ending, really, and in VIII you couldn't do crap on the last disk because the world was locked up. It would have been nice to be able to finish the game and then go back to the world and see what the REAL result of you saving the world was.

crono_logical
04-24-2004, 04:39 PM
FFTA lets you continue after completing the game, BoB :p

Del Murder
04-24-2004, 05:03 PM
Yes, the last disc crap in VIII and IX was annoying, but that should be a thing of the past with todays DVDs. You can fit the whole game on one disc.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-24-2004, 06:21 PM
Running: I wish they'd thought of that in 97...playing FF7 and Xenogears would be slightly more fun in that case.Both of these games have a run button.

The Captain
04-24-2004, 07:42 PM
"And although it's not been done to my knowledge: The ability to keep playing the game once you've 'finished' it. In other words, you can go around the world being praised as a hero and complete and side-quests you missed, and stuff. One thing I didn't like about VII was that you didn't get to see anything after the ending, really, and in VIII you couldn't do crap on the last disk because the world was locked up. It would have been nice to be able to finish the game and then go back to the world and see what the REAL result of you saving the world was."

That is an absolutely awesome idea! You could also decide how each character ends their quest. Perhaps, if they settle down to get married, or continue to be an adventurer, or if they become a King, or Leader of some sort. That would truly be great.

Take care all.

Rase
04-25-2004, 07:01 AM
Nice ideas here. I really like Looney BoB's.

Del Murder
04-25-2004, 07:34 AM
And although it's not been done to my knowledge: The ability to keep playing the game once you've 'finished' it. In other words, you can go around the world being praised as a hero and complete and side-quests you missed, and stuff. One thing I didn't like about VII was that you didn't get to see anything after the ending, really, and in VIII you couldn't do crap on the last disk because the world was locked up. It would have been nice to be able to finish the game and then go back to the world and see what the REAL result of you saving the world was.
After you beat the last boss in the old Dragon Warrior games you were able to walk around and visit towns and hear everyone sing your praises for vanquishing evil before you returned home for the ending. It was very encouraging. More people should play those games.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-25-2004, 07:50 AM
The LUNAR games do this the best.

The Captain
04-25-2004, 08:04 AM
Perhaps I should play some of these games to see what you all are raving about.

Take care all.

DJZen
04-26-2004, 03:34 AM
I want more swords and sorcery. Also, Moombas should make a comeback :cry:

The Captain
04-26-2004, 06:17 AM
Another aspect I'd like to see continue, is the "Max Damage Limit Break" or whatever it was called in FFX. I feel that if you train you characters enough, you SHOULD logically be able to deal more than 9999 worth of damage.

Also, once again being able to gain experience in boss fights. They started it again in FFX, but in 8 and 9, that was one of the biggest pains.

Take care all.

Teh_Sephiroth
04-26-2004, 10:22 AM
The Limit Break as seen in FFVII, it made a lot of sense to me.
The Battle System as seen in FFX, it also made a lot of sense to me.
Being able to see everyone from your party as seen in FFVIII was good but not crucial.
Possibly the leveling up system of FFX - The Sphere Grid - was a cool addition.

Mo-Nercy
04-26-2004, 11:47 AM
I like the item system in Tales of Phantasia. You're only allowed to carry 15 of each item, which is still a lot, but makes more sense than lugging around 99 Potions, Hi-Potions etc.

Also I loved how you could fill a food sack with food to slowly replenish your HP as you walk.

I also wish for more armour. I miss being able to equip a sword, a shield, body armour and an accessory or two. These days, it's like equip a weapon and a...bangle/bracelet.

The Captain
04-26-2004, 07:23 PM
Indeed, I enjoyed the days when you could equip a lot of armor, a la Final Fantasy VI, XI, and Tactics. More armor for me is definitely a plus.

Take care all.

DJZen
04-26-2004, 07:55 PM
It also allows for more character customization. Equipping a breastplate that absorbs fire, a helmet that casts regen, a shield that blocks gravity attacks and ribbon as an accesory would be so unbelievably cool. I can understand why they didn't have it in VIII though. It would just get confusing. I'm amazed they even let you upgrade your weapon.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-26-2004, 09:35 PM
Another aspect I'd like to see continue, is the "Max Damage Limit Break" or whatever it was called in FFX. I feel that if you train you characters enough, you SHOULD logically be able to deal more than 9999 worth of damage.The idea prior to FFX was that it should take some intense training to get your characters to where they can do even close to 9999 damage.

Rase
04-27-2004, 12:01 AM
It also allows for more character customization. Equipping a breastplate that absorbs fire, a helmet that casts regen, a shield that blocks gravity attacks and ribbon as an accesory would be so unbelievably cool. I can understand why they didn't have it in VIII though. It would just get confusing. I'm amazed they even let you upgrade your weapon.

:thumb: :D