PDA

View Full Version : X-men

Snowman
04-24-2004, 07:27 PM
is anyone up to speed with the current x-men issues, i left around about the end of age of apocalypes and go tsome back issues recently.....now psylocks dead and rogue has wolverine claws??

TasteyPies
04-24-2004, 07:31 PM
sorry........im not into x-men
was never into x-men even as a kid i thought they were stupid

Snowman
04-24-2004, 07:34 PM
no pies, that was your reflection :tongue:

somone better tell me betsy comes back :D

Loony BoB
04-24-2004, 07:54 PM
They're still making those comics? =o Wow.

I hope they didn't make Rogue get the claws due to her touching Wolverine. That would have been really stupid, given that they aren't a mutation.

Ultimate_Sandwich
04-24-2004, 09:26 PM
Loony Bob, I am afraid you are mistaken. Wolverine's natural bone claws ARE a mutation, just like his healing factor. The adamantium is the only unnatural part of him, that's why Rogue gains bone claws, not metal.

Yeah, I collect comics. And no, they are not stupid. Not like TV...

*Dylan

Loony BoB
04-24-2004, 09:31 PM
I thought they were also adamantium? =o It's kinda weird for someone to have a mechanical mutation. Then again, I suppose there were guys made out of metal, too. Man, it's been ages since I read the comics and collected the cards. Good times.

m4tt
04-24-2004, 09:49 PM
They are laced with adamantium.

I've been reading the Ultimate X-men series. Yeesh, that reminds me, I haven't picked up my subscription issues from the comic shop for over a month! :aimsurp:

BatChao
04-25-2004, 01:14 AM
I was reading Xtreme X-men untile a couple months ago when it became all dumb and boring. Last I read, Rogue and Gambit had both lost their powers (maybe they got them back though... I dunno), and uhh... nothing else really important. The X-men continuity is all messed up anyway.

Big D
04-25-2004, 02:03 AM
That's what happens when you try to keep a story going for four decades... there's only so much 'outlandishness' the writers can come up with before they start to run out of, or worse recycle, ideas.
Fortunately, now we have the X-Men movies to showcase all the good and original ideas, without the convolution and murky continuity that comes from an on-going comic series...

Actually, I've never read an X-Men comic, although I did plenty of research into them (inspired by the films) and I once read a cross-over novel combining the X-Men with another fictional cast.

Del Murder
04-25-2004, 02:35 AM
The issues from the late 80s-early 90s were best.

Snowman
04-25-2004, 03:36 PM
actually Big D, the movies are inferior compared to almost all of claremounts issues of teh x-men, best stuff, check out when he worked with Lee and the dark pheonix saga.

it's only recently within teh last couple of years did the x-men continuity really fall apart mainly instigated BY the movies...as marvel sold tier soles to cash in. unlike DC who simply delt with continuity problems with CRISIS on infinite earths and zero hour. theres no comparison that DC is better at teh moment.

Wolverine whos history dates back to long long ago was born with bone claws and a healing factor. eventually teh canadians were making their own super soildger projects and trapped logan...infusing his skeleton with adamantium and sending him off the deep end....eraseing his past history. at somepoint rogue must have touched him since she now has bone claws

gokufusionss1
04-25-2004, 03:39 PM
does anyone know how old wolverine is? because i've seen issues of him in world war 2

Snowman
04-25-2004, 03:52 PM
i belive he predates teh american depresstion.....if i remeber right his origin stems from the "little house on the priari" period and before that. Marvel did a Origin story...i didnt read it, but then they will reinvent that any time they want. during WW2 he served in teh canadian secret service

Rinoabella
04-26-2004, 06:30 AM
They are laced with adamantium.

Yeah, Matt's right. Wolverine actually had bone claws, they got covered in Adamantium. I stoped collecting X-Men comics ages ago.

m4tt
04-26-2004, 02:10 PM
i belive he predates teh american depresstion.....if i remeber right his origin stems from the "little house on the priari" period and before that. Marvel did a Origin story...i didnt read it, but then they will reinvent that any time they want. during WW2 he served in teh canadian secret service

I have that Origin series, it's pretty good. Tells about when he first discovers his powers. It looks like he's from the south, I don't remember where/when it was though.

Snowman
04-27-2004, 05:47 PM
cheers Gau. i think it was teh little house era because of the artwork...wasnt he originally called Dog. whitch would hint to why he uses the codename Patch

m4tt
04-27-2004, 07:28 PM
His "enemy" (who looks an awful lot like Sabertooth) was called Dog. I think.. I'll have to look at it when I get home from work.

That's what happens when you try to keep a story going for four decades... there's only so much 'outlandishness' the writers can come up with before they start to run out of, or worse recycle, ideas.

With the Ultimate series, they are "re-writing" the x-men history. Some of the backgrounds are different, as are the ages and whatnot. The authors plan to kill of almost all of the original x-men at one point to bring in new guys. They've already Almost killed Beast twice, the second time I'm not sure if he's dead since the next issue will clear that up. Cyclops was assumed dead for 5 issues when Wolverine let him fall off a cliff and so on... I'd recommend the Ultimate X-men series, since it's only on issue 44 and really easy to get into. Cross-overs are cool too, with Ultimate Spider-man jumping in a few issues.

Mr. Graves
04-27-2004, 07:36 PM
I've stopped reading after the Onslaught saga. It just didn't feel like the old X-men anymore.

BatChao
04-28-2004, 12:28 AM
Yea, the new Ultimates line tries to restart everything with a fresh modern twist to them. They are easily Marvel's best books at this current time.

Wolverine's real name is James Howlett or something... his enemy was called dog (I'm pretty sure he is Sabertooth) and they are half brothers (same father).

Calliope
04-28-2004, 01:53 AM
I have one X-Men comic, and it's one of those "What If?" ones. Bah.

Dammit Daniel!

Snowman
04-29-2004, 01:48 PM
for some reason im not getting notified of new posts..oh well.

i tried the ultimate line when i worked in a comic store through uni but it really didnt work for me, i guess im too old school. ive never liked jean grey, but having a telepath beam dirty jokes into your mind just doesnt interest me. however teh short lived ultimate war between teh ultimates (avengers) and X-men was fun....no way america could take wolvie in a fair fight..he had to cheat.

thats righ the onslught saga...now THATS what i stopped at, cause age of apocalypse was fun...but they started spinning this thing of "who will betray teh xmen" and im sat there saying, come on it's obvisouly xavier, all teh dumb people who wrote in were saying iceman and wolive......and lo and behold it was proffesor x..what a let down.