PDA

View Full Version : random?

DiggyPup
04-25-2004, 05:34 PM
ok i kno this has nothing to do with ffviii really but i dint kno where else to ask, what is a frame rate drop???? :mog:

Del Murder
04-25-2004, 05:57 PM
Help Forum is where you take this sort of thing, so now you know.

Dr Unne
04-25-2004, 06:05 PM
In terms of video games, frame rate is how many times the screen refreshes per second (or per whatever period of time). The higher the frame rate the better for the most part, because the animation and movement on screen will seem smoother.

With some games I think the frame rate is fixed. For example with NES ROMs, I think the frame rate is always some certain amount, probably defined by the NES hardware. To use a hypothetical example, say an NES game needs to be displayed at 20 frames per second in order to look "right", i.e. to look like a real NES game played on NES hardware. Say you're using a computer whose hardware can't handle 20 frames per second; your video card and CPU just aren't fast enough to keep up with that. In that case, either your computer can try to show all the frames even though it can't keep up, in which case the game will look like it's going in slow motion and be unresponsive; or your computer can realize that it's not good enough, and "drop" some frames. Meaning that every couple frames or so, it'll skip rendering a frame, so that the animation is choppy, but the game will play at normal speed.

I don't know if that answers your question, or if I'm even right in my explanation. Someone else will <s>ridicule</s> correct me if I'm wrong.

Baloki
04-25-2004, 08:04 PM
Sounds about right, but I give Archie 5 mins...