PDA

View Full Version : Random IE Starting

Kirobaito
04-26-2004, 11:05 PM
Okay, I'm running a Compaq Computer on Windows XP, 512 MB RAM. I think that's all that would matter in this case, maybe not the RAM. I know very little about computers.

I had two applications open, MSN Explorer and Internet Explorer, both with EoFF open on them. I clicked the banner at the top of the page to go to the Main Index, and suddenly a whole bunch of Internet Explorer windows began to open. I wasn't holding a key down or anything. I could press the X in the corner, but they would simply continue to regenerate. I did a CTRL ALT DELETE, and ended the process of IEXPLORE.EXE. All of the IE windows terminated, like you would expect, but they immediately started to regenerate again. I eventually cut off the power to my computer to stop it.

What's up? I have AdAware and Spybot, and I both scans came up with nothing when I restarted my computer. What's up?

Flying Mullet
04-26-2004, 11:13 PM
When's the last time you updated your virus definitions and ran a virus scan?

Kirobaito
04-26-2004, 11:13 PM
Yesterday.

Dr Unne
04-26-2004, 11:20 PM
God only knows what caused that. If you use IE you can expect it to behave like trash, because it is trash. The solution, use <a href="http://mozilla.org/firefox">Firefox</a>. If you want to continue to use IE, you already found the best solution: restart Windows. That solves a great many Windows problems, at least temporarily, and temporarily is the best you get when you use Windows, so there you go. If restarting your computer doesn't solve your problem, I recommend reinstalling Windows.

Kirobaito
04-27-2004, 12:45 AM
Okay, I don't wanna make another thread, so I'll just post it in this.

I finally got up the energy to download Firefox, but it won't go to any websites.

Screenshot:

http://www.angelfire.com/dragon2/kingbahamut/mozilla.JPG

crono_logical
04-27-2004, 01:04 AM
Are you running a firewall? You'll have to configure that to let Firefox use the internet. While you're at it, remove IE's access too :p

Kirobaito
04-27-2004, 01:05 AM
I had already configured my firewall to allow Firefox to access.

crono_logical
04-27-2004, 01:11 AM
What firewall is it? Can Firefox access if you disable/close the firewall? If it can, then you've configured it wrong.

Kirobaito
04-27-2004, 01:12 AM
Well, when I started Firefox, my Norton Personal Firewall popped up and said that Firefox.exe is trying to access the Internet. I told it to Allow it every time.

EDIT: Never mind. It randomly started working.

Baloki
04-27-2004, 09:30 PM
It was probably a pop-up with a cool regen script and will probably happen with any browser so enjoy being tricked by the best :)

Kirobaito
04-27-2004, 09:43 PM
Well, no, because the pages that were loading were EoFFs, my homepage.