PDA

View Full Version : New GC Metroid - What you'd like to see.

Shoeberto
04-27-2004, 04:58 PM
Yeah, so in the new EGM they had a few screens of the new Metroid game coming for GC. What would you like to see?

I really thought that the space station was the coolest environment in Prime, and you were really only in it (when it was functioning, at least) for about 10 minutes in the beginning. I think it'd be cool to work around in a dark, claustorphobic space station - something like in Fusion, only better.

I'd also like to see the return of Kraid in full 3D. Granted, the mechanics of fighting him would be very weird - the way you fight him in the 2D games obviously wouldn't transfer over well into 3D. But still, a 3D Kraid would be badass.

EGM said in the brief article that they would like to see the controls changed to the dual-stick aim setup. Personally, I'd like to see them lick me. I hate dual-stick FPS on consoles. It tries to emulate the keyboard and mouse style, only it includes the feeling of getting stabbed in the head with a railroad spike. The lock-on system was great.

neway sup

Erdrick the Hero
04-27-2004, 06:05 PM
i personaly thought that the lock on method was alittle cheap. for things like heat seeking weapons and missles, it should have been used, not everything. that was half the fun of metroid, having aim.

i hope that the game is a little bit more of a maze and it doesn't tell you exactly were to go like the previous games.

Vermachtnis
04-27-2004, 09:32 PM
That game looks great. I liked one stick thing, the set up is great and how do you change weapons in this new one. Another thing I'm little bit curious about the Multi-player. I wanna know if it's another prequel or if it takes place after Fusion. Arg, I have so many questions, I wanna play it so bad.
Oh BTW, sup.

Chzn8r
04-28-2004, 01:28 AM
1. how do you change weapons in this new one. 2. Another thing I'm little bit curious about the Multi-player. 3. I wanna know if it's another prequel or if it takes place after Fusion.
Oh BTW, sup.

1. Judging by the only screenshots, probably the same **awesome** way, though that's not for sure
2. Well we only know that there will be multiplaying, and not much else. Seems like 4 players, possibley deathmatches, but we just don't know.
3. It's right after Prime (being Prime 2 and whatnot).

@Topic poster: Ok, you can't say Kraid won't work in 3D. I mean, everyone was saying that nothing from Metroid could work in 3D, especially the ball rolling. But they made it work, so if Kraid happens, it will work. And- I totally agree about the controlls. I hate games like Halo with their dual analog controls. I'm used to Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, etc... and Prime's controls ruled. They shouldn't change them (except maybe remove lock-on for most items).

EDIT: Oh, and the only hand-holding Metroid so far was Fusion, though that worked really really well for the type of game it was, and there was still plenty of opportunity for freelancing (like the entire end of the game, getting all the leftovers). Prime only gave remote hints, and only for the most major things. Everything else you had to search, hunt, or study (the scan logs) for.

Lindy
04-28-2004, 08:55 PM
I liked the open areas of Prime, open areas made a change from the usual enclosed Metroid, and I think trying to make a 3D Metroid scary and claustrophobic would detract a lot from the game.

Though, a larger spaceship section would be very interesting, granted.

Doomgaze
04-29-2004, 09:18 PM
Better Metroids. They were all weak except for the Fission Metroids in Prime.

They should keep the controls as is, they were fine.

gokufusionss1
04-30-2004, 05:37 PM
cell shading and cartoon graphics.

omnitarian
04-30-2004, 05:39 PM
EGM said in the brief article that they would like to see the controls changed to the dual-stick aim setup. Personally, I'd like to see them lick me. I hate dual-stick FPS on consoles. It tries to emulate the keyboard and mouse style, only it includes the feeling of getting stabbed in the head with a railroad spike. The lock-on system was great.

w00t.

i personaly thought that the lock on method was alittle cheap. for things like heat seeking weapons and missles, it should have been used, not everything. that was half the fun of metroid, having aim.

Metroid was never about having aim. It was about timing, multi-tasking, and using weapons strategically, which the lock-on emulates to a tee. Instead of the 'normal' FPS system of dexterously finagleing the controls, the lock-on forces you to defeat enemies carefully and systematically.

The Metroids never rewarded running around, firing randomly at anything that moves in a berserk fury. And neither did Prime, so I'd like to see it stay that way.

Erdrick the Hero
05-01-2004, 08:50 PM
i found the lock on method cheap because if i didn't know if something was an enemy or not, i could just hold the lock on button and find exactly what i needed to hit. And yes, metriod is a lot of running around blowing up enemies in a berserky frenzy. and prime made it too easy. the dual sticks allow for a LOT more control of your aim. the lock on levels the playing field way to much. Skill goes out the window it seems. Personally, i am a lot better at circle strafing with 2 sticks then this lock on method, and i know a lot of other people that owuld agree