PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Redux (spoilers)

Thaumaturge
04-27-2004, 09:44 PM
Yeah, okay. This isn't getting me anywhere.

First off, to whoever closed my previous topic, I originally, spent about thrity minutes typing up my post, only to have it deleted by a glitch in your stupid board. When I hit Post Topic, it logged me out of the freaking system instead. So instead of wasting another thirty minutes retyping it (and since I can't very well remember about five good paragraphs of text), I condensed the thing to two short paragraphs.

I'm sorry you didn't feel that other posters deserved a chance to reply to my post, or that my post didn't deserve a reply. It would have if your board hadn't glitched my post in the first place.

Since you assumed I knew little or nothing about Shadow, and told me what I already freaking knew, I'll try to sum up the ORIGINAL post - the one no one got to see.

I am very well aware of the whole 5 Shadow dreams + 1 Realm and 1 Stago thing. I've beat the game at least 12 times, probably more. I know already that Square denies the existence of more dreams.

But what I think people are failing to take into account is the fact that different versions of the game might exist. I know that video game manufacturers sometimes find bugs AFTER a game has been released, so the version of a game can change from one production run to the next, just like computer software.

I have tested this with FF6, using the Game Genie. Using the same console, and the same Game Genie, I have found that some codes work on one copy of FF6, but not on others. This leads me to believe that more than one version of FF6 is out there.

Now, normally the games should be identical in every way that the end user can see - it's just bug and glitch fixes that the developers change. But what if they changed more. As I said originally, the first time I played the game, it was a week old, so it's highly likely that the cartridge was part of the first production run. It is possible - possible - that in all subsequent productions of the game, whether intentionally or not, a line of code or something was left out, and Square is just denying this to cover up a mistake, or something like that.

Now, I am more than willing to admit I could be wrong, but the fact that so many other people seem to think there is something they are missing makes me think I am not wrong.

Long before I ever visited my first FF website, I had this theory, so you can't say I got the idea that way. I came up with the theory indepentently of anyone else. The only other person I even knew that played FF6 was my step brother, who was there the first time, and he remembers it too.

Fast forward about three years, and I finally get my own copy of FF6, and my step brother and I played through it for our second time. After watching the ending, my brother looks at me and says "Wait, I thought Shadow's ending was different last time." Well, I had been thinking the exact same thing the whole time we were watching the ending. We both thought this independantly, without any prompting from the other person.

So, after playing through the game two or three more times, we finally got on the internet and looked up some walkthroughs. But we were surprised to find that alot of people (though a minority, to be sure) felt as we did, that there was some other ending they had seen.
Now, I know very well that rumors on the Internet are about as reliable as tabloid headlines, or less, but we thought somehting was different before we read the rumors. We didn't get the idea from the rumors, but the rumors meant that someone had the same feelings as us.

I posted hear because I wanted to put an end to my wondering. I know I could just have a faulty memory, but when my step brother has the exact same belief as I do, without me even saying anything at all... well, it's just that I can't shrug that off as just a coincidence. I posted hear to find something out, but a moderator's curt reply told me *snip*-all.

I just registered here today, and I already hate the mods. I don't care if I get kicked off, just let some people respond for god's sake. I know there has been conversasion on this topic, and I've read alot of it here and elsewhere, but no one has ever seemed to acknowledge the fact that a) there may be a different version of the game, or b) square might actually LIE!

If this doesn't make sense to you, then skip it. Don't make the assumption that others won't see it and go "Oh yeah, I had that impression too."

All I'm saying is that the rumors had to start somewhere, and this might be were they come from. I had the impression that something was different before I knew anything at all about such rumors, so I'm inclined to believe that there are more people out there who thought as I do before reading the internet rumors. So, I guess my message is to those people who think Shadow has more story than the five dreams reveals because of their own experiences with the game, not because of what they read on the internet.

If there are any people on this board like that, then please respond. If not, then just let this post die, and I'll not bother you prissy moderator types any more. Okay? Too much to ask?

jeez.

Please don't swear - Gau

Kirobaito
04-27-2004, 09:58 PM
No offense to you, but a case of n00b branding may have occurred with your first post. Similar to the "I FOUND A WAY TO REVIVE AERIS!" threads that occur in FFVII forums across the land. On behalf of EoFF, I apologize for any and all offense that you may have felt. And, if you have any further comments of our volunteering Cid's Knights, please direct them to the Feedback Forum. And Kishi, the Moderator that closed your other thread, is probably the most knowledgeable moderator we have on this forum. Kawaii is unimaginably brilliant when it comes to video games.

When you state FF6, do you mean FF6, the PSX game that came along with V, or FFIII, which was released in 1994 for the SNES? I own a copy of III, albeit it probably not from the initial release week, and I have not experienced any of these issues.

But, you see, you state that a line of code could have been left out in all subsequent versions, but that wouldn't give Shadow a different ending, most likely. Barring that he had multiple endings, of course, and each ending was depending on some other event that you had a choice on, or something else like that. It's extremely unlikely, almost preposterous that Square would have lied about something like that.

And in order to fully understand what you mean, can you or your stepbrother inform us of what occurred in this supposed "different ending" for Shadow?

m4tt
04-27-2004, 10:05 PM
You hate the mods, yet only one of them closed your thread. Nice reasoning. If you have a complaint, pm the mod you have a problem with, or one of the admins. Consider this a warning. Oh, and don't swear.

crono_logical
04-27-2004, 10:35 PM
It's not a glitch - if you do nothing for 15 minutes, you're logged out automatically for security purposes. If you don't like that, then enable cookies and make sure the Remember Me box is ticked next to the log in box.

Yes, there's several versions of FF6. There's at least 2 versions of the english SNES ROM, and you can easily find them on the internet if you know where to look - the differences will be the version number since the newer one will obviously have some bug fixes in. Obviously, Game Genie codes might change/stop working as bugs get fixed, or maybe new codes start working. As a programmer, I very much doubt missing out or changing one line of code is enough to completely remove all traces of a possibility of an alternate ending for a character which will need programming to draw the scene and what sprites to use, how to move them, and even have dialogue in, etc.

What's more, lots of people on the internet have hacked the ROM and made their own versions of the game, some with stats changed, others with dialogue changes, and other stuff too. If there was such an alternate ending, I'm pretty sure such dialogue or other bits of code would have been discovered by now, much like how people have found out about monsters in the game that never appear, but still have stats, sprites, and even battle tactics present in the cartridge.

Shadow's not female. That's a rumour spawned from a translation error/problem in the English version if I remember rightly.

And as King Bahamut said, expanding on what you thought happened in this alternate ending of yours would be useful :p

Thaumaturge
04-27-2004, 10:38 PM
Okay, first, I'm sorry about the flaming, I was just ticked that I wasted and hour on two posts. And I already knew the second version of the post (the one the Mod closed) was n00b like, but I really hate typing long drawn out stuff only to have it glitched into non-existence.
And i wasn't actually that angry - I WAS going to completely flame the mod, in an attempt to get my account deleted or banned. But I calmed down and halfway through the post I decided I still wanted to try to get an answer. I tried to edit most of the hate out of the post, but guess I missed a few tidbits. Sorry.

Really, no offense. And I'm much more reasonable and logical when I'm not ticked off about wasting my time. So, I hope we can all get along.

That said, I own the SNES FF6 cartridge, and the PSX version but for purposes of this discussion, I am talking about the SNES version.

Finally, as I said, I know I might be crazy, but I really did think all this before I ever once heard the rumors, so when I heard that other people had found more dreams, I was skeptical, but I kinda believed it.
And I know it's unlikely that Square would lie, but it is POSSIBLE, and no one seems to think it is.
So, once again, I am just trying to find: A) people who think Shadow has more story because they saw it for themselves, not what they read on the internet , or B) the source of the rumor, if it turns out to be completely unfounded.

Sorry again for the flame, just having a bad week.

m4tt
04-27-2004, 10:46 PM
As for the topic, I had the SNES cartridge and only saw 5 dreams (since I always saved Shadow). I have a rom version and have only seen 5 dreams. I have the psx version and have only seen 5 dreams. :p

The Female Shadow thing has to do with when you find him in the cave on the veldt. I guess the game editors forgot to fix that part and left it as if only Relm could be there.

TheAbominatrix
04-27-2004, 11:47 PM
People have hacked the roms of this game and found no extra endings. If you've found an extra ending, please check your beverages to make sure no one's dropped an LSD tab in there.

There is no extra ending. It's a rumor. There are only five dreams. There are, however, seven 'dream sequences' in the game. Five are Shadow's. If I remember right, one is Relm's, the other is Cyan's.

Shadow is not a girl. Gau explains the point there. If you have seen all of the dreams, you may have been confused when the girl walks out of the house to help Clyde (aka Shadow, the game only THROWS that in your face plenty of times) and then 'Shadow' (dressed as his sprite is, and not as the Clyde sprite is) walks out of the house later. Presumably he left when Relm's mother (his wife or lover, he had to have done her at least once) died, or perhaps only after he'd had sex with her. That's up for grabs, but it's probably the former since Interceptor is cool with Relm.

Can someone change the title to include a spoiler warning, just in case?

DocFrance
04-28-2004, 12:40 AM
Shadow is not a girl. Gau explains the point there. If you have seen all of the dreams, you may have been confused when the girl walks out of the house to help Clyde (aka Shadow, the game only THROWS that in your face plenty of times) and then 'Shadow' (dressed as his sprite is, and not as the Clyde sprite is) walks out of the house later. Presumably he left when Relm's mother (his wife or lover, he had to have done her at least once) died, or perhaps only after he'd had sex with her. That's up for grabs, but it's probably the former since Interceptor is cool with Relm.
Actually, the source of confusion come from the cave where you rescue either Shadow or Relm. If you waited for Shadow on the Floating Continent, he will be there instead of Relm. The problem is, nobody bothered to make the dialogue between your characters any different depending on the situation. So when you rescue Shadow, your characters will refer to him as "she" and "her," because the game is using the dialogue provided my the case that you're rescuing Relm.

TheAbominatrix
04-28-2004, 01:08 AM
Actually, the source of confusion come from the cave where you rescue either Shadow or Relm. If you waited for Shadow on the Floating Continent, he will be there instead of Relm. The problem is, nobody bothered to make the dialogue between your characters any different depending on the situation. So when you rescue Shadow, your characters will refer to him as "she" and "her," because the game is using the dialogue provided my the case that you're rescuing Relm.

Which Gau explained, and I referenced that point. However, some people argue that scene I just described above as another way of proving Shadow's sex as female.

Thaumaturge
04-28-2004, 02:38 AM
Okay, this is what I was looking for. It seems to me that, since I originally played the game when it was brand new, it may have had a few translation errors that confused me. In later versions, those may have been fixed. Or, alternately, they weren't fixed, but being more familiar with the game I was able to subconsciously figure out what they mean from the context. I'm not sure on that, but the point is that you all have told me that many people make that mistake.
That is likely the source of the rumor: vague pronoun refrence, or some other grammatical oversight. For some reason I just don't fall for it now.
It's still a coincidence that my brother and I would misinterpret the same translation error to mean the same this, but it's a plausible coincident.
I wasn't convinced I was right, or anything. I just couldn't come up with any other explanation that made sense to me. But this one does, so I can hopefully stop wondering about it.
So thanks for clearing this up. And to whichever mod I sorta flamed, sorry about the n00b-like posts earlier (I'm new here, but not to forums in general). Thank you for your patience and help.

Outsider
04-28-2004, 08:14 AM
I believe that there are a lot of FF6 rumors because the history has some open things. Just like the whole "Gogo is Daryl" thing.

I remember when I first played through FF6 (I was only 13 back then), I thought that Shadow had more dreams just because the others 5 dreams weren't really helpful to explain his past (it was hard to understand that Clyde was Relm's father or maybe I was just a very stupid kid). And I lost a couple of hours searching for a dream that I never found.

Magil
04-28-2004, 07:10 PM
I remember when I first played through FF6 (I was only 13 back then), I thought that Shadow had more dreams just because the others 5 dreams weren't really helpful to explain his past (it was hard to understand that Clyde was Relm's father or maybe I was just a very stupid kid). And I lost a couple of hours searching for a dream that I never found.

Did i miss something the 3 times i played the game???
could somebody please post the dream locations or whatever...
and i dont recall Relm having any dream...
damn.... im clueless....

TheAbominatrix
04-29-2004, 12:55 AM
The 'dream' Relm has is when you find her in the cave on the Veldt, if you dont get Shadow. Cyan's dream is the whole deal in Doma castle in the WoR. And Shadow's dreams are just random. Take Shadow around and sleep in different inns, at Doma Castle, at free beds... just wherever, and he'll randomly have these dreams.

Edgar
04-29-2004, 12:00 PM
I think you have to do it in WOB. I remember that you can't get these dreams in WOR.

TheAbominatrix
04-29-2004, 12:23 PM
You can get all five in the WoR. I've done it myself plenty of times, because there's so few opportunities to have Shadow on your team in the WoB.