PDA

View Full Version : Speaking to Game developers

Erdrick Holmes
04-27-2004, 10:19 PM
I'm cross posting this because I htink that this is pretty important to me at least.

I've though of alot of interesting stoylines and Ideas for video games but lack the hardware/software/training/time to get them made. I was wondering if anyone knows a way that I can possibly get a hold of game developer (Such as Capcom or Sega) to get them to make my ideas into games so I can make some money off of it. Any help can be appreciated, if you even have a shred of info then post it here.

Flying Mullet
04-27-2004, 10:44 PM
Most game developers will not take stories or ideas from outside sources because they have to pay royalties to the outside sources and they also would be flooded with outside ideas.

And not to say that youre ideas are bad or anything, but 95% of the ideas that they get would be crap or wouldn't sell video games.

sora
04-27-2004, 10:52 PM
try e-mailing them and if they say no keep on emailing them until they block you

BatChao
04-28-2004, 12:22 AM
The most surefire way of getting your idea into actual production is to get a job as a game producer or director. But of course, this requires years upon years of dedication in the gaming industry. Most publishers and developers will not even look at sent in game ideas because a) they would get flooded by them b) most of them are probably not that great c)they have to pay royalties and d) they already have top talent whom they pay to do stuff like that. If you think of it, it does make sense. If you're some popular author like the author of Harry Potter, I don't think you'd write a book about what fans suggest. You do whatever you want. It's a similar concept with games. My suggestion is to keep your ideas with you until you have a real chance at getting one made into a game... perhaps ten or so years down the line when you've gotten yourself into the position to be suggesting game ideas.

Another way that may or may not be easier (depending on who you know) is to get a group of people together and create the game on your own. You can get your hands on Playstation and GBA development kits rather easily these days and if you find some good programmers, they can study them and develop for them. You yourself don't actually need to know how to program for you can be the leader. But this also calls for perhaps some business sense and skill. Once you finish your game, you can take it to trade shows like GDC and E3 where you can talk to publishers about getting your game published. Actually, talking to publishers before it's even done might be a good idea too if you've got a website, screenshots, or an unfinished build they can look at. My friend is doing just this and he's gotten pretty far into development. He has secured some investors and he might have a small demo ready by summer. It's not easy, but if you make a product that's good, a publisher will probably pick it up. Start with a more simple platform like GBA first and work your way up. Many developers take this route if they don't have any connections with the 'big boys'. Just look at Shantae for the Gameboy Color. It was a great game, published by Capcom, but basically developed as a pet project of a few people. Now they're working on a sequel for the GBA. If they prove themselves again, they might start getting offers from big name publishers.

There's not much more to say I guess... Honestly, submitting your game idea by e-mail, fax, or whatever has about a 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000....(maybe like 1 million 0s)1 chance of getting made if you're some no named person. The safest bet is to save those ideas (if you send them out, you don't know who might get their hands on them and they could get stolen) until you have a surefire way of getting it made. That's it, and good luck to you!

Doomgaze
04-28-2004, 07:30 AM
most game companies will NOT read game ideas. It protects their asses in case you come up with something similar to something they do in the future and try to sue them.

Outsider
04-28-2004, 08:36 AM
If you really, REALLY want your ideas to become a videogame, here's one friendly advice: You'll need one comfortable chair, while you learn how to program the damn thing. And I'm telling you this because this chair here is killing me.

Maxico
04-28-2004, 05:46 PM
I would say if you really want to get a game made you should work up the ladder. What could you offer to a game developer (seeing as there are a lot of jobs needed to make a modern game e.g. concept design, sound, composing, 3d modeling, ect) maybe take a course. Then find a small comapany to work with. A small team will mean that you can get a lot of input. once you are in a good position they are much more likley to listen to you.

I myself have lots of ideas for games but you really should resign to the fact that they will probably never be made.