PDA

View Full Version : Erm power problems?

Casey
04-28-2004, 04:48 AM
Well Im on my computer room right, and the lights in the room blink to almost off and on, and as soon as it keep doing that my computer turns off. Im not sure what it is, but it usually happens when Im playing a cd in the dvd/cd-rw combo drive that I just recently installed. Ive checked the wiring and Im almost positive everything is right in place. An its been 3 weeks now that its been in the computer and no problem has happened tell today. Its happened three times now, and I dont want it to happen again, so Im just going to either wait and find a solution to this problem, and if its the dvd/cd-rw I might is well put back in my old DVD/cd-rom drive in. An if its not the new dvd/cd-rw drive could it be somthing else?

System Specs.

512 MB RAM
AMD Atholon XP 1900+
1.4 Ghz
DFI Lan Party II Chipset
Windows Xpee

Yeah, I think Im going to check my computer for viruses now. Im under safe-mode as I type this by the way.

Help be appreciated thanks. :)

crono_logical
04-28-2004, 06:01 AM
If it's using the drive that's causing the power problems, then something very obscure is happening, like that drive uses just enough power to cause the computer to use just enough power to cause problems in your room, which I think is extremely unlikely :p If that was the case, then the same would happen if you suddenly start using some other electric appliance, most notably an electric shower, although perhaps a TV and stereo and a few other power hungry appliances.

Can you actually cause the problem whenever you want? Do you have a sure-fire way of making that happen? If not, I'd probably suggest you call an electrician :p If you do, then you'd probably want to call one anyway since it sounds dangerous :p

Casey
04-28-2004, 06:17 AM
Can you actually cause the problem whenever you want? Do you have a sure-fire way of making that happen? If not, I'd probably suggest you call an electrician If you do, then you'd probably want to call one anyway since it sounds dangerous

Nah, it just the lights blinker alittle like all the power is a bout to turn off, then somtimes the light blinkers really fast my computer hard-resets.Now that you brang that up, I think it is the electric lines or somthing. Cuz I live in a old 100 year old house, and it still has Thomas Edison two-way wiring. >.< Yeah Im just gunna unplug my computer, and some electric appliances so a fire doesnt start in the mean time.

I gtg sleep. Thnx.

Endless
04-28-2004, 10:07 AM
Might be your electrical installation indeed. One night at my grandparents', I turned on my comp, and it caused the whole appartment to go off. The worst was that it wasn't our fuses going off, it was the old security fuse in the service stairs that would shortcut, so we had to wait for it to calm itself before we could have electricity again. My computer had a slight power defect, that combined with the old plug it was in and the old lines and fuse would just shut down the power even before our fuses would trigger.

Baloki
04-28-2004, 12:45 PM
Endless is right, if your computer doesn't have enough power it turns off, and if your power virtually goes off, so does your computer. So wait till the Electicity board fix the supply and you'll be fine.