PDA

View Full Version : Cannot access this page

Del Murder
04-28-2004, 06:11 AM
Spuuky sent me an IM saying that he cannot access the forums. He gets a 'page cannot be displayed'. He says that it happens a lot at random times. Any clue what's going on or is he sol?

crono_logical
04-28-2004, 06:18 AM
The IE error thingy for obscure errors? Probably his internet connection or browser then. If it was a forum problem, then he'd be seeing a forum error message most likely.

Dr Unne
04-28-2004, 06:22 AM
I agree, browser problem or problem with his own connection.

Does anyone who uses IE really even DESERVE to see the forums anyways?

*hides under a shrub*

crono_logical
04-28-2004, 06:24 AM
One day, Unne is gonna move onto Windows users :p

Del Murder
04-28-2004, 06:26 AM
Del: cl: The IE error thingy for obscure errors? Probably his internet connection or browser then. If it was a forum problem, then he'd be seeing a forum error message most likely.
Snuggles: Yeah, that doesn't really help me correct the error
Del: Unne agrees with him
Del: Then makes a comment on how IE sucks
Snuggles: Of course
Snuggles: Fine, I will try some inferior browser

crono_logical
04-28-2004, 06:28 AM
He could also try pinging the server from a command prompt and see whether the server is reachable at that point in time or not - if not, then it's certain it's his connection :p

Del Murder
04-28-2004, 06:29 AM
Then again, this could be our chance to finally get rid of Spuuky.

Shlup
04-28-2004, 06:42 AM
I admit it. This is my doing. I'm out to drive teh Joe insane.

Loony BoB
04-28-2004, 07:47 AM
Sounds like a connection issue more than anything. IE has never given me any problems with vB3, while it seems people using other browsers seem to have more trouble.

Does he go to any other vB3 forums, or any other forums at all? Does it still happen there?

m4tt
04-28-2004, 03:06 PM
Does anyone who uses IE really even DESERVE to see the forums anyways?K, I'll stop coming here then. :(

Loony BoB
04-28-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Psychotic, in his LJ (http://www.livejournal.com/users/psychoticville/25308.html)
OK, since liek, EoFF had a server move or something, it only rarely worked for me. Usually I'd have to disconnect and reconnect a couple-a-times.

But now it doesn't work at all, since Freeserve became Wanadoo. The front site works, but the forums don't. Hell, the front site doesn't even work if I use firefox. Meh.

No EoFF for me. Liek, evar. Srsly. D00d, I might end up joining some crappy other forum :OOOOOOOOOO.

In other news, Spoon.

..hmm. This is an odd one. I'll ask him the same questions being asked here. I think this should be moved to Feedback (Help?), too. Any objections?

crono_logical
04-28-2004, 10:26 PM
Move if you want :p

Ask him to ping www.eyesonff.com and forums.eyesonff.com from the command line and give us the output.

Loony BoB
04-28-2004, 11:06 PM
DanieLoony: clout: Ask him to ping www.eyesonff.com and forums.eyesonff.com from the command line and give us the output
DanieLoony: try forums.eyesonff.com D=
Skykotik: Ew they all had group masturbation posts
Skykotik: OK wrong window xD
Skykotik: CLASSIC ;D
DanieLoony: x_x
Skykotik: (That was about tGA :P)
DanieLoony: oh yeah
DanieLoony: i know!
Skykotik: It won't let me copy and paste it, but it's both looking fine.
DanieLoony: hmmm, okay...
Skykotik: At the moment, the forums are working though.
Skykotik: When I tried earlier, it wouldn't give a response.
DanieLoony: *nods*
DanieLoony: yeah, you ain't alone, we might move the thread into feedback soon if it causes more trouble
DanieLoony: keep us up to date D=
Skykotik: Well, the same kinda thing happened with FFI, and Skwowwy said it was something to do with a hotlinking script.
DanieLoony: hm
DanieLoony: does he use vB3?
Skykotik: No, I don't think so.
DanieLoony: okay, thanks
DanieLoony: I'll let you know if they come up with solutions, you might want to chat to clout in teh meantime, otherwise I dunno :-(
Skykotik: Ok, thanks

Yamaneko
04-28-2004, 11:27 PM
Snuggles: Fine, I will try some inferior browser
As long as he's using it.

We should put a huge 500% font link at the top of the site and forums linking to the Firefox download page.

Loony BoB
04-28-2004, 11:40 PM
http://www.livejournal.com/users/psychoticville/25308.html

Oh yeah, and like I said, I tried Firefox (I don't know version, but it would be the latest one) and that didn't even load up eyesonff.com, as IE loads the frontsite OK, like I said.

Let me know if you want that to appear in 500% font.

Dr Unne
04-28-2004, 11:47 PM
It's apparently just a general sucky Windows problem then. You can't expect Firebird to work well on top of an OS like that.

Loony BoB
04-28-2004, 11:51 PM
=P Yeah, I've noticed that every windows user has suddenly stopped posting. Oh, wait...

But seriously, I guess it's just a connection issue. Oh, yeah, click on that link I put for the answers of the other questions I gave him.

Del Murder
04-29-2004, 02:03 AM
I'm moving this thread to help because I don't feel like telling him everything you guys say.

Spuuky
04-29-2004, 05:55 AM
My seemingly random ability to view the forums has been restored for the moment. It took until 4am last night, which is longer than usual. I'm sure it will randomly stop working again.

crono_logical
04-29-2004, 06:00 AM
Give us the ping result stuff from when it's not working :p

Spuuky
04-30-2004, 01:45 AM
Ping request could not find host forums.eyesonff.com. Please check the name and try again.

crono_logical
04-30-2004, 06:27 AM
It's clearly your connection/PC then. Probably your ISP's DNS server is goofing up if rebooting doesn't help you. Go complain to them :p

If you're desperate though, then you could add

<code>65.75.172.209&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;forums.eyesonff.com
65.75.172.209&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;www.eyesonff.com</code>

to the end of your C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file for when it isn't working, though you'll have to remember to remove those two lines should we change server yet again :p

Spuuky
04-30-2004, 11:28 AM
I will add them, so remind me to remove them when I complain about not being able to visit here after our next server change.

Burtsplurt
04-30-2004, 08:22 PM
The same thing has been happening to me rather frequently. I can't access EoFF about 50% of the time.

I use Firefox.

crono_logical
04-30-2004, 11:11 PM
Do the ping thing like I told Spuuky :p

Peegee
04-30-2004, 11:32 PM
Looks like the same problem I had weeks ago. I expect sometime down the road a bunch of us will start ranting about EoFF.com not being reachable, then we will have to replace our hosts file with whatever

crono_logical
05-01-2004, 01:27 AM
If a few dozens of people had problems rather than just a few people, then I think Sean might need to speak to the hosts about why the address doesn't always resolve. But since it's not that many people, it's most likely their ISP's fault or their own PC's connection configuration for now :p

Loony BoB
05-05-2004, 11:56 PM
For those not familiar with #eoff, I'm the underscore guy.

<<i></i>Kelly> I haven't been able to go to EoFF for about a week!
<<i></i>_> How are you?
<<i></i>_> Really? x_x
<<i></i>Kelly> Good! And yourself?
<<i></i>_> The site/forums/both?
<<i></i>Kelly> Both!
<<i></i>_> :(
<<i></i>_> What do you get?
<<i></i>_> Page cannot be displayed or something?
<<i></i>Kelly> Sorry, we could not find www.eyesonff.com
<<i></i>Kelly> Please check the spelling, or try one of the items below.
<<i></i>_> Hmm.
<<i></i>_> Weird. x_x
<<i></i>Kelly> Am I banned?
<<i></i>_> Nah, not from the main site xD
<<i></i>_> I don't think you're alone, though. Spuuky and Psychotic have had problems. I'll copy/paste this into EoFF.
<<i></i>Kelly> Okay!
<<i></i>Kelly> And I know I'm not spelling it wrongly because I did a search on google and clicked the link from there ;?
<<i></i>_> If you can make an LJ entry about it or something so people can contact you, that'd be kew.
<<i></i>Kelly> ok!
<<i></i>_> In the meantime... hmm. I'll copy/paste the thread into your LJ entry :P
<<i></i>Kelly> Rightyo
<<i></i>Kelly> Done!
<<i></i>_> Link? :)
<<i></i>Kelly> http://www.livejournal.com/users/kittyfry/22652.html?mode=reply

Kirobaito
05-05-2004, 11:58 PM
This was happening to me on a different computer yesterday. It works on my PC fine, though.

Rainecloud
05-06-2004, 07:13 AM
I've never heard of anything like this happening before.

Well, it couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Shame about Kelly, though.

Psychotic
05-06-2004, 11:29 AM
The ping thing mentioned only works sometimes. Sometimes I get a response (And I can access the forums) And sometimes I can't.

I usually just disconnect and then reconnect, and it sometimes works, but sometimes it doesn't, and when I later restart, it works.

And sometimes it works, then later on through a session, it stops.

Kirobaito
05-06-2004, 01:26 PM
Sometimes when I'm logged on, I click the picture link at the top and it gives me a "We can't find www.eyesonff.com". All I have to do is press back and click the link again, though, and it works fine.