PDA

View Full Version : Pencils on the ground are for keeps?

Agent Proto
04-29-2004, 02:17 AM
Ok, you find a pencil, a very good pencil. One of those good mechanical pencils with plenty of lead and the eraser is still intact. This pencil is on the ground, and no one around is particularly looking for a missing pencil. Do you pick up the pencil and keep it, or do you leave it alone?

In fact, when I find a good pencil or pen on the ground, I'll pick it up and keep it to myself. However, if I saw someone dropped a pencil, I'll give it back to them because it's rightfully theirs, but if not, then I'm keeping the pencil. :tongue:

What about you? What do you do when you find a pencil or pen on the ground?

Linus
04-29-2004, 02:18 AM
http://loonybob.homestead.com/files/little.gif This is the same question I asked, but replacing $3 with a "nice pencil." You're the terrible person now, HA!

Erdrick Holmes
04-29-2004, 02:20 AM
Thats how I have so many Mechanical pencils. I found them on the ground.

Madonna
04-29-2004, 02:21 AM
If it's been obviously abandoned, as in no possible owners in the area, it's mine. If I think it could be someone's who just recently went out a door or something, I'll try to return it. If it isn't theirs, it's mine.

It's a pretty vague rule, but it works for me. I lend out pencils and don't have them returned, so it's an almost balance.

Agent Proto
04-29-2004, 02:24 AM
http://loonybob.homestead.com/files/little.gif This is the same question I asked, but replacing $3 with a "nice pencil." You're the terrible person now, HA!

WRONG!!!

Three dollars fell out of my friend's pocket today, so I picked it up and kept it.

Do you call that the same as this one?

Ok, you find a pencil, a very good pencil. One of those good mechanical pencils with plenty of lead and the eraser is still intact. This pencil is on the ground, and no one around is particularly looking for a missing pencil. Do you pick up the pencil and keep it, or do you leave it alone?

In fact, when I find a good pencil or pen on the ground, I'll pick it up and keep it to myself. However, if I saw someone dropped a pencil, I'll give it back to them because it's rightfully theirs, but if not, then I'm keeping the pencil.

What about you? What do you do when you find a pencil or pen on the ground?

Your thread was basically telling us what you did and had a poll asking whether it's right or not about what YOU forking did! This thread is basically asking whether you would keep a pencil found from the ground with no one there to claim it. Not that same question! *smacks Linus*

Del Murder
04-29-2004, 02:29 AM
Your thread was basically telling us what you did and had a poll asking whether it's right or not about what YOU forking did!
Wolf!

The pencil is up for grabs.

Andex
04-29-2004, 02:42 AM
What kind of question is this? Even if the owner is in the area looking for it, i still keep that shit! :D

Logan
04-29-2004, 02:43 AM
Nah. I have my own pencils. And who knows where that pencil has been! :O

Shlup
04-29-2004, 02:46 AM
In fact, when I find a good pencil or pen on the ground, I'll pick it up and keep it to myself. However, if I saw someone dropped a pencil, I'll give it back to them because it's rightfully theirs, but if not, then I'm keeping the pencil. :tongue:I would say it works that way with most things.

Agent Proto
04-29-2004, 02:49 AM
I would say it works that way with most things.

True, but I'm talking about pencils here! Stick to the topic missy! *snap snap*

frr_vegeta
04-29-2004, 02:49 AM
The pencil was probably mine in the first place. Regardless, if it's free, I'll take it.

fire_of_avalon
04-29-2004, 02:51 AM
I like wooden pencils.

RSL
04-29-2004, 02:56 AM
I probably would just ignore it. Not that I see pencils lying around all the time.

Ran Ciel
04-29-2004, 02:58 AM
Replace pencil with dimension/time-travelling royal necklace, and you've got a deal my friend.

escobert
04-29-2004, 03:13 AM
I only use pens.

TasteyPies
04-29-2004, 03:20 AM
No its not ok because its original owner might find it.

I loose things ALL the time and pencils are the worse. I always find them the next day though.

This is an actual quote from earlier today at my computer station:

Me: Sweet a pencil! score its mine now! :love:

Friend: Dude...isn't that the pencil you had yesterday? :greenie:

Me: .........yeah....so? :confused:

m4tt
04-29-2004, 03:26 AM
I don't even use pencils, so I'd ignore it.

Mr. Graves
04-29-2004, 04:26 AM
I keep 'em. I love using mechanical pencils. I found one in Japanese class a few months ago, and I figured that if I ever dropped a pencil, no one would exactly hand it over to me. So, I just kept it.

Kirobaito
04-29-2004, 04:30 AM
I keep all pencils I ever find, on the ground or not. I steal pencils off of people's desks. If they're not alert enough to notice, I figure there's no reason for them to need to use the dang thing.

Bernie
04-29-2004, 04:56 AM
If I find it on the ground, I won't take it unless it's a nice mechanical pencil. Wooden pencils irritate me because then you have to sharpen them, and I hate sharpeners.

But I wouldn't take it from someone's desk. There was this one girl in my fifth grade class that had a crap-load of stolen pencils and other stuff in her desk, and most of them belonged to the other kids. People who take stuff from people's desks should be hit in the head with a coconut. It's just not nice. :crying2:

Calliope
04-29-2004, 07:56 AM
I probably wouldn't keep it, because I prefer to write either with black ballpoint pen, or very plain pencil, unless I'm letterwriting, in which case I don't have to read it, so anything goes.

Shadow Knight
04-29-2004, 09:49 AM
Keep it, unless I see them drop it.

Meat Puppet
04-29-2004, 09:56 AM
3 words:

Finders keepers loser weepers :cool:

Xander
04-29-2004, 01:08 PM
I'd leave it alone, at least for a while. If the person who owns it is anything like me they will be back looking for it, hehe. I hate losing pens/pencils. However if it's somewhere like in my college room and it stays there for weeks I might take it if it's a good pencil. But if I find the person who's it is then I'd give it back :) I can buy my own pencils though.

eternalshiva
04-29-2004, 02:06 PM
I so keep the pencil. If I saw it fall OUT of something, I would give it back, but it's fair game by itself on the ground unless someone comes frantically looking for it, makes me feel bad, then I would give it back.... only THEN.

Misfit
04-29-2004, 02:22 PM
Do you pick up the pencil and keep it, or do you leave it alone?
If I see them in school or somewhere, I usually kick them away... I don't touch them because people are gross and could've been licking on that pencil or something, ew! >=o

Polaris
04-29-2004, 04:14 PM
Im don't like to do it, I think that it's not honest. I'm not saying that you are not honest.

Today, Rita, a friend of mine, said "Look there's a pencil there!" and I said "It's not mine!" and it's wasn't her, too, a minute after she figured out that it was from our friend Cortes and I'm keeping it and tomorrow I'll deliever to him!

frr_vegeta
04-29-2004, 04:55 PM
3 words:

Finders keepers loser weepers :cool:
Need a numberline?

Ouch!
04-29-2004, 05:03 PM
Need a numberline?

I have a gut feeling he refused to count on purpose..

Anyways, yes, I'd keep it. I do all the time, I mean, hey, it's only a pencil. I don't generally like mechanical ones, they irritated me because the lead always snaps or gets stuck in the pencil because the piece isn't long enough. Of course, wooden pencils bother me when one half gets sharpened but there's still wood coming up the other side... oh my, I'm rambling.

BatChao
04-29-2004, 06:35 PM

NOPE! Not only is the question not the same, but good ol' Proot said that if he saw someone drop the pencil, he'd give it back! Oh-ho!

Anyway, onto the question, if I saw someone drop it, then yes, I'd give it back. If not, then it's up for grabs unless you notice that it is a very very nice pencil (some pencils cost a hefty amount) and if so, I'd leave it there... or if it was at a store or something, place it in lost and found.

Psychotic
04-29-2004, 06:37 PM
Depends on if it's shiny or not.

Peegee
04-29-2004, 07:31 PM
It's plenty shiney

TasteyPies
04-29-2004, 11:06 PM
Pretty shiny?

...well....what size is the lead?

DMKA
04-30-2004, 01:40 AM
I always keep them. I'm poor and have no pencils anyway, so it works out quite nicely. :D

Kitsune
05-01-2004, 04:13 PM
I'd keep it. simple.. if any asked have I seen a pencil on the around... I'd say no.

Rase
05-01-2004, 11:11 PM
I'd fight off five polar bears and a deranged old lady for the pencil. PENCILS RULE!!!! wOOt!