PDA

View Full Version : The cicadas are coming to town!

Agent Proto
05-01-2004, 03:41 AM
Watch out for these bad boys if you live in the east coast of America.

http://www.ent.iastate.edu/images/homoptera/cicada/17yrcicada.jpg

If you see one, eliminate by any means. These cicadas emerge every 17 years, and when they come, they fight hard. Watch out for bombarding cicadas, kamikaze cicadas. These guys are huge and annoying. The noise they make is so loud that it will drive you nuts!

EDIT: Also, watch out for their cousins which come every 13 years.

Are you guys prepared for the worst coming this month? I know I'm not. :D

Kirobaito
05-01-2004, 03:42 AM
I've never seen a 6 1/2 inch bug before. *dies*

HOOTERS
05-01-2004, 03:43 AM
We get them every year. You can wear the shell thingys they discarde as badges.

PeTeRL90
05-01-2004, 03:44 AM
What the hell kind of bug is it anyways?

Logan
05-01-2004, 03:50 AM
I love the West coast?

Misfit
05-01-2004, 03:52 AM
THAT WAS LIKE... last last Summer those BEASTS came out!

O_@

It was a living HELL for me! I hate bugs, and oh my God they were huge and the first time I've ever seen them. :(

My friend and I had to carry out tennis rackets with us to smack them away because they're really stupid and fly right at you. O_@!!!! *thwack*

Shlup
05-01-2004, 03:53 AM
Do they do anything other than make annoying noises?

Misfit
05-01-2004, 03:54 AM
Yes, they fly at you trying to suck off your face.

PeTeRL90
05-01-2004, 03:54 AM
Maybe they try to crawl inside of your head to lay their eggs.

HOOTERS
05-01-2004, 03:55 AM
They discarde their shell thingys and you can wear them as badges.

frr_vegeta
05-01-2004, 06:07 AM
They discarde their shell thingys and you can wear them as badges.
I want a badge :(

escobert
05-01-2004, 06:09 AM
Yeahthose things are crazy but I'm ready for em :)

TheAbominatrix
05-01-2004, 06:11 AM
I think I saw some of those when I was in Missouri. We got some guy to eat one.

*stays in California, where the bugs dont come out of cheesy radiation horror flicks from the 50s.*

escobert
05-01-2004, 06:16 AM
Yeah I was just reading some site and they were talking about how if you cook em in the right food they are like eating cooked potatos. ewwww

Meat Puppet
05-01-2004, 06:17 AM
Cicadas are friendly chatty creatures and are one of my favourite insects next. One sat on my shirt and sung a pretty song. I feel sad when I accidently did an underground one of them and their eyes are burnt by the sun and they never got to experience life as a real cicada :'(

TheAbominatrix
05-01-2004, 06:21 AM
Yeah I was just reading some site and they were talking about how if you cook em in the right food they are like eating cooked potatos. ewwww

Ewww!

Actually we were just bored and we dared him to eat one he'd caught. I think I may be thinking of a different bug, but they're still huge and gross so it all fits.

And I cant believe somone actually figured out that they taste good. I mean... who was like "Hey, let's eat this disgusting huge ass bug!"?

escobert
05-01-2004, 06:22 AM
I dunno they said the ones that are fresh out of the ground are the best or something like that... I dunno they must be on some weird drugs or somehting.... kinda like how in korea spam is a common gift to a co-worker or to give to a date :/

Doomgaze
05-01-2004, 07:35 AM
I hate that noise they make.

We also get hordes of Asian Ladybugs in later summer/early fall. They bite.

Loony BoB
05-01-2004, 07:47 AM
Cicadas are cool. I miss 'em, I don't think they get them up in Edinburgh. But yeah, my little brother Joshy and I would find them sitting on our deck or something sometimes and we'd make them crawl onto our fingers and stuff. Oh, man, it's hard to get them off sometimes though. You have to put your whole arm into a good swing and flick your hand at the end of it. Cute li'l suckers, though. It can be a bit over the top when there's about a thousand of them surrounding you when you walk through a bunch of their preferred trees or something, but that's just the sound of summer. A summer without cicadas is a summer that isn't quite hot enough.

And yeah, we used to collect their shells when we were kids. :D There was this one tree that was like a gold mine to us kids. We filled up a whole massive peanut butter jar with them. Like... a 2-3L jar. Good times.

It's a rarity that a cicada accidentally flies into you - it's just as likely for a bee to accidentally smash into you (not land, smash).

EDIT: Once every 17 years? Do you guys not get them every year, or is this some kind of special cicada?

DMKA
05-01-2004, 08:34 AM
Bugs scare me, and the bigger, the scarier. :cry:

Meat Puppet
05-01-2004, 10:13 AM
EDIT: Once every 17 years? Do you guys not get them every year, or is this some kind of special cicada?

Yes, they live underground for 17 years then come out have sex and die and lay eggs for things to be underground for another 17 years. But every year you get a different batch, like this years batch was 17 years ago, and last years batch was 18 years ago it's real cool.

BTW New zealand cicadas are cooler cicadas than the evil ones in Brazil or wherever the hell :)
Cicadas singing means summer. I miss summer.

Peegee
05-01-2004, 12:06 PM
Burn the entire eastern USA! It's worth it! AHh bugs make mad

Psychotic
05-01-2004, 12:54 PM
Why burn when you can nuke? Sure, there goes a few million people, but they just had to take one for the team. Viva la anti-Chicathingy resistance!

PS: I live in the UK. HA HA!

Loony BoB
05-01-2004, 01:25 PM
Yes, they live underground for 17 years then come out have sex and die and lay eggs for things to be underground for another 17 years. But every year you get a different batch, like this years batch was 17 years ago, and last years batch was 18 years ago it's real cool.

BTW New zealand cicadas are cooler cicadas than the evil ones in Brazil or wherever the hell :)
Cicadas singing means summer. I miss summer.
I have been educated. :) Further proof that NZ really does kick ass. Even our cicadas are cooler.

Roogle
05-01-2004, 01:32 PM
I think I saw some of those when I was in Missouri. We got some guy to eat one.

*stays in California, where the bugs dont come out of cheesy radiation horror flicks from the 50s.*

I live in Missouri, but I've never seen those before. I've only seen their shells or whateverq—their shedded skin. I didn't know every seventeen years they grow huge and attack people.

Maxico
05-01-2004, 02:12 PM
I love london.

We killed off most of OUR bugs hundreds of years ago.

Dragonflame
05-01-2004, 03:18 PM
You killed most of everything in England hundreds of years ago.

I don't know about everyone else, but I've never been attacked by a cicada. In Texas we have grasshoppers for that.

TheAbominatrix
05-01-2004, 05:04 PM
I live in Missouri, but I've never seen those before. I've only seen their shells or whateverq—their shedded skin. I didn't know every seventeen years they grow huge and attack people.

Really? Maybe it's because of where I was, in the middle of the forest and all. I swear, it was like someone took all the bugs I knew and threw in some ones I didnt and then poured radiation on them and made them huge. Horse flies as big as ones thumb (they rarely get as big as a thumbnail out here), moths with a wingspan as large as my hand (never larger than my finger here), a bunch of others and then those damn cicadas. And they were flippin everywhere...

The one nice thing about Missouri/East Coast bug life is fireflies, though. Made it all worth it.

fire_of_avalon
05-01-2004, 06:26 PM
I hear them every summer at home, but I never see them. They must be way back in the mountains.

And all of our bugs are bigger out here. Horseflies scare me O_O

Doomgaze
05-01-2004, 07:05 PM
I love fireflies. We don't get nearly as many where I live, since it was a farm field 10 years ago and there's not enough big trees for shade and stuff.

Erdrick Holmes
05-01-2004, 07:13 PM
Aren't those the bugs that make that loud buzzing sound that can be heard on hot days all throughout the neighborhood?

Yamaneko
05-01-2004, 07:35 PM
And this concerns me, how? HAHAHAHA!!! You people may be closer to the nation's capitol, but at what price?