PDA

View Full Version : Verbal displays of affection.

HOOTERS
05-01-2004, 08:14 PM
what do you think of people who use all those affetionaate words with partners or even people who like to display affection publiculy. It makes me sick imho fyi.

Logan
05-01-2004, 08:16 PM
I hate it when they use honey, sweetie, lover, darling, and some other vomit-inducing ones.

Rye
05-01-2004, 08:19 PM
Not too much. I mean, if it's sweetie or honey it's kinda cute but if it's like a personal pet name it's a bit annoying.

Leeza
05-01-2004, 08:24 PM
Most sound superficial. I never use them.

Doc Sark
05-01-2004, 10:02 PM
Only in private. Never in public.

Skogs
05-01-2004, 10:04 PM
Doesn't bother me. :mog:

Xander
05-01-2004, 10:12 PM
I like darling, it's sweet and old fashioned, me and Lindsey generally call each other that =]

And affection publicly is sweet, like holding hands and the odd hug, but I don't think there's any need to go over the top in public, plenty of time for that when you're alone.

Meat Puppet
05-01-2004, 10:16 PM
When me and my friend were at the shopping centre he was pushing around a pram and using it as a shopping trolley and when I walked out of the store I said "Come on sweetness", like you would to your wife so everyone thought we were a gay couple which we aren't that's why it was funny.

But I don't actually mind other peoples business .

Kirobaito
05-01-2004, 10:56 PM
I'll call you whatever you want, Hootbaby.:love:

And I don't really care about the second question.

Yamaneko
05-01-2004, 10:59 PM
Hey you.

Shlup
05-01-2004, 11:34 PM
I like to call BJ sweety honey poopy butt but he doesn't like it very much.

Loony BoB
05-01-2004, 11:57 PM
In private more than anything: Yes. In private, it's okay, but you still shouldn't really overdo it. There are some words that I hate being called no matter what, such as sweety and darling and uh... yeah, sweety and darling. You know how they say it all stereotypically-homosexual-like? Yeah, that's what I hate. When they say it to you and you're not even their partner, you're just a friend or something. Affectionate words like that are yucky when used between friends.

I use honey a lot when talking to girlfriends and even some very close friends, but more often than not it's in private. It's always better in the long run to just have a personal nickname for them. It's just plain better.

Fuzakeru
05-02-2004, 02:23 AM
Babe, baby, sweetie, sweetheart and then the all famous - Hubby and Wifey. :love: On the phone, in each others arms, in public, online . . . yeah. We are the annoying couple HOOTERS speaks of.

Psychotic
05-02-2004, 02:52 AM
People that do it in public are generally just showing off, rather than doing it for affection. Makes me want to hurl. Broken bottles, that is.

fire_of_avalon
05-02-2004, 06:21 AM
I use the term sweetheart, babe, honey, and darlin' constantly, but I use them on everybody. Just what I was raised around.

Bernie
05-04-2004, 01:12 AM
Well, I usually don't use verbal phrases, but when I do, I call people "honey", "sugar", and "sweetie". But it depends on the person that I'm talking to. I don't mind what sex I'm talking to, it just comes out my mouth.

I think I picked it up from one of my friends, because she refers to people as "sweetheart", "babe", and "hon".

I don't mind when people use them. I do, however, draw the line at excessive use of pet names.

Dragonflame
05-04-2004, 01:35 AM
I don't ever call anyone by anything, regardless of whether it's a nickname, pet name, or their real name. I just talk to them. They know if I'm talking to them, there's no need to restate it. It kind of annoys me when other people call each other by pet names, but it's no big deal.

Peegee
05-04-2004, 06:29 AM
I say "I hate you" all the time to a certain special lady friend of mine. Is that a sign of affection?

I don't really believe in them. It sounds fake and silly to me.