PDA

View Full Version : The Labyrinth??????

Doc Sark
05-01-2004, 10:13 PM
I justt posted a reply in an another thread which got me thinking about the Labyrinth. Anyone remember that film? I used to love it as a kid but I watched the other day, under the influence of alcohol I believe, and it is totally messed up.

There's a little worm, with a mohican, that asks in a helium induced cockney accent if Sarah (Jennifer Connolly) would like to come in and meet the missus. WTF?

And my biggest gripe is David Bowie's really tight trousers, they leave nothing to the imagination I tell you. He might as well not be wearing them, god forbid. And he has a lovely haircut in the film aswell.

Does anyone else think that Labyrinth is one truly twisted film?

Xander
05-01-2004, 10:57 PM
Ah, Labyrinth, I have it on video. Wonderful film, it's fun, maybe a little weird, but cool. Gotta love the songs in it too. And Danny John Jules (The Cat) does a voice too, yay =D

The thing that was stuck in the tree was so cute, awww. It's a sweet film, I used to love it so much.

Doc Sark
05-01-2004, 11:11 PM
Which voice is Danny John Jules, is he one of those wierd jamaican sounding things who can remove their heads and throw them about?

Shlup
05-01-2004, 11:41 PM
I used to watch that movie regularly as a kid. I remember when we hit puberty one of my friends started to get hot for David Bowie and it freaked me out.

Great movie though.

gokufusionss1
05-01-2004, 11:44 PM
brilliant film haven't seen it in years yay rock people.

metCloud
05-02-2004, 12:05 AM
Havent seen in such a long time, Very cool movie though! The Goblin guy was cool lookin' too. I need to watch again because I dont remember alot about it.

White Raven
05-02-2004, 12:30 AM
Great Movie!!!

I absolutely love the movie, but I think only because of the 80's novelty of it all. David Bowie was awsome (his best acting preformance other than UHF), and I think he even used his real hair. That bog was pretty disgusting (the one that always farted), and I thought that the dog riding a dog was pretty funny.

Big D
05-02-2004, 08:09 AM
I saw this movie for the first time in 2002 :cool:
Bizarre, but oddly brilliant too. I liked the disjointed imagery that appears in places, like the Escher-esque stairway scene near the end. Then there are little touches, too - like the milk bottles on the porch outside the castle - to remind you that the entire plot is based on the story that Sarah's reading at the start, intermingled with elements of her own life. However, this interpretation means that Bowie's character is secretly in love with her...kinda weird, but it fits with everything else.

Doomgaze
05-02-2004, 08:59 AM
I've never seen it ;_;

Rainecloud
05-02-2004, 09:02 AM
I use to love watching this film when I was a kid - almost as much as I loved watching Jason and the Argonauts (but not quite). The music was great (thanks to David Bowie), and the monsters/creatures that lived in the Labyrinth were very creative. The little worm that invited Sarah in for "a nice cuppa tea" made me giggle, the tiny dog that took on the entire Goblin army was inspiring, and the gigantic, rock-commanding horned monster known as "Ludo" was...lovely and cuddly.

"The Bog of Eternal Stench" sticks in my mind, for some reason. ;)

Loony BoB
05-02-2004, 10:26 AM
Oh man, I remember this one too. My sister loved it, and I thought it was pretty cool too. Especially the parts with the tiles, the doors and the guys who threw their heads around.

For some reason, I always grouped this film together with The Dark Crystal. One film always reminded me of the other.

Spuuky
05-02-2004, 10:44 AM
It's a fantastic movie. David Bowie carries it, though.

Xander
05-03-2004, 09:55 AM
I'm not sure who DJJ does actually... *makes a note to look it up later*

Rainecloud
05-03-2004, 07:11 PM
http://www.the11thhour.com/archives/092000/features/images/fantasy13.jpg

And baby said...?

Ouch!
05-03-2004, 08:01 PM
I finally got around to seeing it about two months ago. My friend had advised me to watch it, he described it as fantastic. It was, albeit a bit wierd. He told me not to look down when David Bowie was on; of course, I looked. I wish I hadn't.

Good movie though.

Doomgaze
05-03-2004, 08:25 PM
I think they are both done by the Jim Henson company, Daniel.

Doc Sark
05-03-2004, 08:49 PM
So the general consensus is that this is a top film, I must say though Big D, I have never really considered the plot line of the movie but of course, you are right in your observations.

*what kind of magic spell are you,
*slugs and snails and puppy dog tails

gokufusionss1
05-03-2004, 10:55 PM
loony bob, you mentioned dark crystal that sent me into ultimate nostalga mode i just spent the last half hour looking on fark crystal fan sites and just downloaded the game.

look pod people http://lavender.fortunecity.com/tomatoes/168/darkcrys/gallery/photos/Podlings-med.jpg

Logan
05-08-2004, 06:00 PM
I love this movie. The soundtrack is really good too, my sister and I listened to it the other day. I loved Ludo. :D

Jareth: "You remind me of the babe."
Goblin: "What babe?"
Jareth: "The babe with the power."
Goblin: "What power?"
Jareth: "The power of voodoo."
Goblin: "Who do?"
Jareth: "You do."
Goblin: "Do what?"
Jareth: "Remind me of the babe."

Montoya
05-09-2004, 12:42 AM
Like people here I watched this movie when I was a child and I like it a lot. But the creatures that threw there heads around scared and freaked me out.