PDA

View Full Version : Most Powerful combat system - junction etc

Snowman
05-02-2004, 10:46 AM
i dont mean the active time battle and such, i mean how you get your powers.

EXCLUDING BREAK DAM/HP LIMIT

i think it's gotta be FF8's junction simply because, as soon as you embark on the mission with the magic lamp you can get diablos without much trainin (almost no training) then with him you can begin to refine cure magic and boost your HP straight up to 5000, a couple more items and your at 9999 on disc one with almost no traingin needed.
sures theres the drawback of not using your magic so you stay strong...but with draw, just suck it right out of your opponant.

Mo-Nercy
05-02-2004, 12:28 PM
I agree, the junction system allowed the most flexibility. Squall was doing 1000+ damage at level 12. It was a good idea originally, but I think Square could have done a lot more with it to make it more complex and fun to use.

FallenSilence
05-02-2004, 01:05 PM
Yeah, the Junction system was pretty flexible. I prefer the Sphere Grid though because you gan get very powerful very quickly. You also get to learn the skills of the other characters, which is pretty cool. Yuna casting Ultima is a very good thing.

Del Murder
05-02-2004, 05:26 PM
Junction was powerful, but don't count out Knights of the Round.

eestlinc
05-02-2004, 05:54 PM
I don't care how strong KotR is, I will never breed and race chocobos to get it.

Del Murder
05-02-2004, 06:03 PM
What a humanitarian.

eestlinc
05-02-2004, 06:41 PM
yes, stop the chocsploitation!

Aphelion
05-02-2004, 07:29 PM
I hate junction. You have to collect lots of spells to each character and I don't have time for that. The most intelligent system is the AP system from FFIX.

DJZen
05-02-2004, 09:41 PM
There's an inherent problem with this quiz, and it's that the damage scale is different in different games. In FFI 500 damage was a LOT, and just FORGET about 500 MP in FFII. The growth system in FF2 isn't WEAK, the damage scale is just smaller. There's also the X factor of sheer difficulty. FFVI is probably one of the easiest FFs out there. You just walk through the game without taking much time to level up. Is this because FFVI's Esper/Relic system is more powerful, or is it because the developers simply didn't put in any truely difficult battles?

ForeverZeroUltima
05-03-2004, 02:43 AM
hrm....i've only played two FFs so far...6 and 7. In 6, the damage you start out doing is like.......12. By the end of the game, You'd already be doing like 2000-4000, at lvl 30 or so. In 7, you start out doing about 40 and end up doing 7000 about lvl 60.

yeah...

and NOW, for the most powerful combinationn ever, give one person teh following materia:

W-Summon
KOTR+Quadra Magic
Mime+Counter
Mime+Counter
Mime+Counter
Mime+Counter
Mime+Counter
Mime+Counter
Mime+Counter
Mime+Counter

If you character gets hit even once, your char will counter with 64 KOTRS! :D

Del Murder
05-03-2004, 03:16 AM
If you have more than one mime-counter you do more then one counter? Has that actually worked? Plus you can't do KotR with Quadra. Just like you can't use All with Contain. Personally I like France's Bahamut-Mark-XXIII-something-something better.

Mo-Nercy
05-03-2004, 08:47 AM
If you have more than one mime-counter you do more then one counter? Has that actually worked? Plus you can't do KotR with Quadra. Just like you can't use All with Contain. Personally I like France's Bahamut-Mark-XXIII-something-something better.
Yeah, A few weeks/months ago, someone posted Barret owning Emerald Weapon with like...8 Ungarmaxs in a row. Done by Mime-Counter.

And you can't link KotR with Quadra Magic. 250 times 4 is 1000, which is more MP than you can get.

Snowman
05-03-2004, 10:21 AM
summons like knights of the round dont count since every ff has summons, nor does breeding chocobos, i was reffering soly to each games ability/magic system.

DarkDragonKnight - you dont need to collet lots of spells, your Gaurdian Froces/summons can simply refine them from everyday items you wouldnt use. giving you almost instant boots of power.

Dj, just look at the system itself, how much damage you can do doesnt matter, what matters is how easy, fun, complicated it can be to get to your max output/HP/attack. otherwise the fact you can break damge limit in FFX/X2 and your characters can knock off over 9999 would beat any other FF, so ignore that. for example, to reach that level takes you ages on either sphere grid, but you can get to the FF8 equivalent in no time.

you always use quadra with bahamut zero, and use double with KOTR. however i belive Yuna+Gunner+Catnip+trigger happy+triggerhappy LV3 - may equal KOTR damage.
But summons dont count, otherwise the fact FFX summons break damage limit would count

the worst has to be in FF9. useing spheres to learn abilities ...uurghhhh

Spuuky
05-03-2004, 10:34 AM
FFV's job system is clearly the most powerful. I guarantee that given a setting that evened out the sheer numerical differences to the appropriate proportional values, I could beat any other character with those from FFV.

Snowman
05-03-2004, 09:46 PM
well i admit ive had no dealings with FFV's system...but as for beating anyone.....i would love to pit my old FF8 team against yours :D there isnt a weapon i havent beaten before the guides advise you too lol

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-03-2004, 10:14 PM
Materia is without a doubt the most powerful system due to the incredible combinations of actions and attacks that can be achieved by linking the right materia and how open to creativity devising such tactics is.

Fire + Quadra Magic
Fire + MP Turbo
Fire + MP Absorb
Fire + HP Absorb
Fire + Added Cut
Fire + Steal As Well
Fire + Magic Counter
W-Magic
Magic Plus

With this combination, Fire (or any offensive spell, really) will be cast upon random targets four times, pausing between blasts while the spellcaster rushes in and steals their possessions. Every blast returns some HP and MP to the caster, and if any enemies survive the magic, they'll be nailed by four regular attacks thanks to Added Cut. Then W-Magic makes it happen all over again. MP Turbo and Magic Plus enhance the strength of the magic, which is probably superfluous, but Magic Counter sets off the combo when the character is struck, meaning that nobody even has to act for it to work.

---

Of course everyone knows about Final Attack + Phoenix, which brings the party to as close to immortality as they'll ever need to be.

---

Deathblow + Added Cut: even if the deathblow doesn't hit, the added cut certainly will, removing all risk from taking a shot at double damage, which itself becomes triple-damage.

---

Cover
HP Plus (or Final Attack + Revive)
Magic Counter + Comet
Counter + Deathblow
Counter Attack (as many as possible)

When the character equipped like this is struck--which he invariably will be, thanks to Cover--the retaliatory chain is set off with a deathblow, Comet, and as many regular attacks as you have Counter Attack materia. HP Plus and Final Attack + Revive keep the character alive, since it's necessary to have him take a beating to activate the chain. Again, this is all set up with counter-type materia, meaning no one needs to take a turn to make this mess.

DocFrance
05-03-2004, 11:05 PM
Materia is without a doubt the most powerful system due to the incredible combinations of actions and attacks that can be achieved by linking the right materia and how open to creativity devising such tactics is.

Fire + Quadra Magic
Fire + MP Turbo
Fire + MP Absorb
Fire + HP Absorb
Fire + Added Cut
Fire + Steal As Well
Fire + Magic Counter
W-Magic
Magic Plus

With this combination, Fire (or any offensive spell, really) will be cast upon random targets four times, pausing between blasts while the spellcaster rushes in and steals their possessions. Every blast returns some HP and MP to the caster, and if any enemies survive the magic, they'll be nailed by four regular attacks thanks to Added Cut. Then W-Magic makes it happen all over again. MP Turbo and Magic Plus enhance the strength of the magic, which is probably superfluous, but Magic Counter sets off the combo when the character is struck, meaning that nobody even has to act for it to work.

That's so beautiful I want to cry.

Ouch!
05-03-2004, 11:17 PM
Only Kishi would come up with such sheer genius.

ForeverZeroUltima
05-04-2004, 02:03 AM
And you can't link KotR with Quadra Magic. 250 times 4 is 1000, which is more MP than you can get.

actually you CAN get over 1000 mp if you have the HP<=>MP Materia.

DocFrance
05-04-2004, 03:25 AM
But you still can't use Quadra Magic and KotR together.

BatChao
05-04-2004, 05:15 AM
I agree that Materia is probably the most versatile magic system. I didn't really take the time to master, it though (my most impressive combo was Cure<->All Hahaha!). But I have seen some pretty awesome materia combinations.

I really liked Junction as well, and it was pretty fun to use.

My favorite probably goes to either FFX's sphere grid or FFX-2's Dressphere. Though probably not the most 'powerful' I found them very fun to use and gaining new abilities didn't seem like a chore.

Snowman
05-04-2004, 04:06 PM
while materia did certainly become a very addaptive medium, i still dont feel it's teh best if anything because of the time and effort needed to train all your materia up to level three etc, with the junction and aeons you simply choose specific talents to learn and get ultra powerful magic instantly. that said the dressphere system could decimate the materia system easily.

not only do you take into account the inhernt abilites of the many dresspheres, but the truck loads of differnt garment grids which have varying kick arse bonus. decreasing any magical attacks, while absorbing magical attacks, reflecting them while building your stragth, giving you teh abilities of a black mage while being in the powerfully immune stance of a darknight...and if anytthing gives you trouble, catnip with trigger happy

ForeverZeroUltima
05-05-2004, 01:23 AM
hey, I might borrow FF8 from a friend and copy it soon, so what's the combat system in there? someone told me it was "kind of" like Legend of Dragoon combat system.

Snowman
05-06-2004, 01:39 PM
to have commands other than attack you junction a GF/summon to yourself. this allows you to use items, summons etc as well as get boosts like streagth 30. also you can attach magics to your stats, so cureaga will boost your HP into the thoughsands, aura will increase your streatgh allowing yout to tailor your team to whatever you need

DocFrance
05-06-2004, 08:26 PM
"Tailored to whatever you need" really means "everyone is exactly the same."

Doomgaze
05-06-2004, 08:51 PM
I didn't realize that effects could be stacked like that. That's brilliant.

ForeverZeroUltima
05-07-2004, 02:17 AM
I'm confused.

Snowman
05-07-2004, 04:05 PM
maybe yours were the same doc because you couldnt work it?

it's simple. all your character stats. HP, attack, def, M def, magic, luck, magic absorb, status attack, status defence etc. you can attach magics to each of these which useually increase or decrease them as well as your offensive and defensive abilitys.

whats more your aeon can learn abilitys, growing in power, abilitys you can use that enhance you further or refine items into magics, cures, other items etc

ForeverZeroUltima
05-08-2004, 01:32 AM
uh huh. I'm just gonna wait until i play it for myself.

DJZen
05-08-2004, 03:03 AM
FFVI has Vanish+Doom. That ain't too shabby...

Edgar
05-08-2004, 08:38 AM
Junction was terrible to me. My life in FFVIII was something like this:

*random encounter*
>Draw:blizzard>>Draw:blizzard>>Draw:blizzard>>Draw:blizzard>>Draw:blizzard>>Draw:blizzard>>Draw:blizzard>>
Draw:blizzard>>Draw:blizzard>>Draw:blizzard>>Draw:blizzard>>Draw:blizzard>>Draw:blizzard>>Draw:blizzard>>Draw:blizzard>>
Draw:blizzard>>Draw:blizzard>>Draw:blizzard>>Draw:blizzard

then...

>Draw: cure>>Draw: cure>>Draw: cure>>Draw: cure>>Draw: cure>>Draw: cure>>Draw: cure>>Draw: cure>>Draw: cure>>
Draw: cure>>Draw: cure>>Draw: cure>>Draw: cure>>Draw: cure>>Draw: cure>>Draw: cure>>Draw: cure>>
Draw: cure>>Draw: cure>>Draw: cure>>Draw: cure.

etcetc...

Then a few levels later...

>Draw: blizzaga>>Draw: blizzaga>>Draw: blizzaga>>Draw: blizzaga>>Draw: blizzaga>>Draw: blizzaga>>Draw: blizzaga>>
Draw: blizzaga>>Draw: blizzaga>>Draw: blizzaga>>Draw: blizzaga>>Draw: blizzaga>>Draw: blizzaga>>Draw: blizzaga>>
Draw: blizzaga>>Draw: blizzaga>>Draw: blizzaga>>Draw: blizzaga>>Draw: blizzaga>>Draw: blizzaga

and in the end all the boss fights were too easy. WAY too easy.

FFVI's runic and esper, Genji Glove + Offering was powerful but then you get offering quite late in the game.

So I have to go for Junction. TOO powerful.

EDIT: Fixed table stretch. -Murder

ForeverZeroUltima
05-08-2004, 02:16 PM
*looks at all the spells that Edgar wrote :eek:*

............i'm.....just gonna....go play it myself.

Snowman
05-08-2004, 10:19 PM
why didnt you just refine the higher magics Edgar, it only takes a couple of minutes and saves on drawing

Lamia
05-14-2004, 02:38 PM
FFV's job system is clearly the most powerful. I guarantee that given a setting that evened out the sheer numerical differences to the appropriate proportional values, I could beat any other character with those from FFV.

PhoenixAsh
05-14-2004, 03:12 PM
I think I'll go with a tie for FFVII and FFVIII (though I've yet to play V).
VII clearly has the most options and is probably the most creative, but this really only applies in finding better ways to take out the Weapons, you can kill everything else easily before you've developed your materia too the right extent.
VIII just rewards knowledge so much. Put a novice VIII player and an advanced player in front of the game for a few hours and the difference in their parties will be ridiculous. The hours spent developing characters that would even out players is almost completely removed.

So VII wins in full on power, VIII wins on speed and practicality.

Snowman
05-14-2004, 06:33 PM
im strangly finding FFX2 very powerful and simple, due to the mass of power both defensive and offensive you can use when combineing multiple garment grids, there abilitys and that of the easily masterd dresspheres