PDA

View Full Version : DVD Players

Shlup
05-03-2004, 04:20 AM
My birthday was over a month ago, but I've yet to get my present from my father and stepmother. They ordered me the CyberHome DVD CH-500 Region Free DVD Player (http://www.jlist.com/cgi-bin/shop.cgi?function=product.display&id=12599617) from J-List. That would be great except that J-List sucks and everytime I order from them I consider myself lucky if they're not already out of stock. I read a review on it and the review said it would be a great DVD player if it worked regularly.

I'm tired of looking on my own, so I'm asking for recommendations. I want a region free DVD player, preferably one that can play MP3s.

Anyone got a little help for a lady?

Dingo Jellybean
05-03-2004, 05:40 AM
If you want a region free DVD player, look no further than your PS2. Buy a Gameshark 2(usually cheap right now, mainly version 2, around $15). Then follow the instructions that blocks out the region restrictions. It works. Honest.

As for MP3's...you'll have to ask someone else.

Shlup
05-03-2004, 05:51 AM
My PS2? I don't have a PS2. :p

angel
05-03-2004, 02:29 PM
i got a dvd player for 50 €(euro) thats about $60 or something (someone do the math ?) it came with a form saying how to make it region free. So my suggestion is : buy one (look up the brand on the internet and see if it has a region free trick-thingie)

Then again we rarely use it since we (me and my girlfriend) both have a dvd player and we have a dvd burner in our almost identical machines ;)
and we live in region 2 wich is the same as japan...
:P

p.s. my birthday is soon I expect lots of e-cards :P

Erdrick Holmes
05-03-2004, 02:40 PM
Shlup, don't go with Dingo's idea, if you watch DVDs on a PS2 for too long it can ruin the lens and the insides so it can't read discs anymore.

Rainecloud
05-03-2004, 02:54 PM
Posted By Joel:
...if you watch DVDs on a PS2 for too long it can ruin the lens and the insides so it can't read discs anymore

Are you serious? I've never heard of anything quite like that before. I've been watching DVDs on my PS2 for years, and it's still working just as well as the day I bought it - except for a slightly faulty joypad port.

angel
05-03-2004, 02:57 PM
people that claim that the ps2 breaks down after 2 years must really abuse it ... since i know a fella that still has his first ps2 and it still works... and the way he handles hardware ... well .. its shocking ;_;

Peegee
05-03-2004, 03:10 PM
Get off your bun and go shopping, Shlup. DVDs are everywhere.

MecaKane
05-03-2004, 03:51 PM
Are you serious? I've never heard of anything quite like that before. I've been watching DVDs on my PS2 for years, and it's still working just as well as the day I bought it - except for a slightly faulty joypad port.
That'll eventually happen with all DVD/CD players, I'm sure. It'd take a lot of work to burn the lens out on anything, though.

Erdrick Holmes
05-03-2004, 04:14 PM

http://www.techtv.com/xplay/features/story/0,24330,3516150,00.html

This explains it but I was wrong, it happens with CDs and I think certain PS2 games as well.

Baloki
05-03-2004, 06:29 PM
This explains it but I was wrong, it happens with CDs and I think certain PS2 games as well.

I've had this argueement before and it only happens if the disc is faulty and when it heats up bits come off it, and if your stupid enough to buy fake games or WWE Wrestlemania then its your own fault isn't it!!

p.s. my birthday is soon I expect lots of e-cards :P

Will do!

TasteyPies
05-03-2004, 08:02 PM
A ps2 is a verry verry verry bad dvd player.

I always get a INCREDIBLY NOISY staticy sound.

You cant hear what the actors are saying.

Baloki
05-03-2004, 08:23 PM
A ps2 is a verry verry verry bad dvd player.

I always get a INCREDIBLY NOISY staticy sound.

You cant hear what the actors are saying.

Thats the fan :D

Rainecloud
05-03-2004, 08:41 PM
There's a fan in there too? Wow. You learn something new almost every day.

Baloki
05-03-2004, 09:02 PM
There's a fan in there too? Wow. You learn something new almost every day.

OMG yes, its actually a mini NASA wind tunnel but I didn't tell you that *taps nose*