PDA

View Full Version : From Strider With Love

Loony BoB
05-03-2004, 12:24 PM
News flash: THERE IS SOMETHING HORRIBLY HORRIBLY WRONG WITH MY COMPUTER.

Yeah, I have no idea what it is. It all began Saturday afternoon, when I was online for a little while around noontime, just checkin' my fantasy baseball team and such and generally :love::love::love::love:in' around before I went to do some stuff. Anyway, I was gonna send Kristen an IM lettin' her know I was takin' off for a while, but before I could. . . a strange error message came up. Hmm.

LSA Shell (Export Version) has encounted an error and will close. Huh? I guess it's some process my computer deals with, so no big deal, right? Jesus, I was wrong.

A minute later, a new message pops up, saying that my computer will restart in 60 seconds. Say whaaaaaat? I have no idea what happened, but now I effectively cannot use the Internet on my own computer. SHIT. Every time I try and log on, the same LSA Shell (Export Version) :love::love::love::love:up error shows up and my computer restarts.

What makes the situation worse is that no one seems to know exactly what it is. I've had three different people in the building look at it: Andy, Steve and Michael. They're all among the best of the best as far as handling computer stuff in the building, but none of them could figure this one out. So. . . What to do?

Well, for now, I have no damn clue. I'm stuck, because everything else works fine, but I can't do anything online to save my computer's life. Ugh. Anyway, that's what the problem is.

If anyone has any ideas. . . well, I'm usin' a computer here in Carlos Bee right now, so I'll check my e-mail sometime tomorrow if I can. My LJ comments go straight to my inbox. PleasepleasepleasepleasepleasePLEASE give me some help.
If you want to leave a comment directly in his LJ, the entry is here (http://www.livejournal.com/users/striderx284/109098.html?mode=reply&style=mine). Otherwise I'll probably just copy/paste them over. I'm not sure if he has access to EoFF, but I figure since he hasn't posted this in here already that there's something stopping him. Or he's just not smart enough to realise that the people here are uber-helpful. :)

Spuuky
05-03-2004, 02:16 PM
msblaster worm again, eh?

Peegee
05-03-2004, 02:26 PM
I KNOW this isn't the forum for it, but we really need a perma-stickied "super happy kawaii chibi advice fun-fun" page which gives the solution to this, the AOL desktop item removal, and all sorts of fun things not covered by annoyances.org. (Feel tree to change the name I suggested.

:love:

Leeza
05-03-2004, 04:12 PM
Here's another thread on this same subject. It is the msblaster worm.

http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=45659

Do a Windows Update and download the latest updates. That's what I did and it cleared everything up very nicely.

Baloki
05-03-2004, 08:01 PM
He'll have to remove the damn thing first though, Synmantic.com or whoever makes norton has the removal tool on it.

Strider
05-03-2004, 09:15 PM
Okay, well, I managed to put a bandage on it for now, thank goodness for that.

Anyway, I went to a link that Spuuky mentioned in my LJ, but the problem is that there's a whole bunch of different updates I could download and I don't know which one is the right one. A little help, maybe? :D

Baloki
05-03-2004, 09:44 PM
Okay, well, I managed to put a bandage on it for now, thank goodness for that.

Anyway, I went to a link that Spuuky mentioned in my LJ, but the problem is that there's a whole bunch of different updates I could download and I don't know which one is the right one. A little help, maybe? :D

The easy link is http://www.windowsupdate.com

Go there and it will be included in the default downloads after you have scanned for updates.

Leeza
05-03-2004, 10:02 PM
Strider, go to Tools on your Menu and click on Windows Update. Download all of the criticals.

Baloki
05-03-2004, 10:10 PM
Strider, go to Tools on your Menu and click on Windows Update. Download all of the criticals.

Didn't some nice person already mention that, I HARE YOU!!!!!!!

Leeza
05-03-2004, 10:16 PM
Nope. Some nice person gave him a link though. :)

Baloki
05-03-2004, 10:17 PM
Nope. Some nice person gave him a link though. :)

Same difference

*Contnues Haring you*

Strider
05-04-2004, 12:17 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4890780/

This HAS to be what it is. A word of precaution for everyone, this could get ugly.

RSL
05-04-2004, 12:23 AM
Yeah, I hate windows.

EDIT: I got this thing the last time it was going around. One thing I learned is that a firewall is very, very helpful in preventing things like this. Also, everytime you computer tells you that there are new Windows updates to install, just do it.

crono_logical
05-04-2004, 03:16 AM
Silly people, it's not the MSBlaster worm, it's a new worm using a new exploit :p Yeah, the patch is only a week old :p

Dr Unne
05-04-2004, 07:15 AM
There's another patch for Sasser <a href="http://www.gentoo.org/">here</a>, which works quite a bit better than the official MS one.