PDA

View Full Version : Return to the old style

Clyde Arronway
05-03-2004, 10:51 PM
Among many FF Fans, IX is considered to be the pinnacle of ff. If you'r not one, don't make a big stink about your distaste please. Why doesn't Square make more games like IX. I've previously made suggestions that Square make more old style games, complete with old graphics, but why not make more games like IX. It would need several key points. One, It needs old style themes, including somthing, anything pertaining to a crystle of some sort. Second it needs another old style battle theme. There must be no doubt of it's similarity. I've heard the battle from I, III, III, VI and IX played in one uber-remix where each runs simultaneously! It must be that close. Third, Classes are a must. Be they set by the programmers like IV or IX, or settable by the person as in I, III, or V. Personally I like those set by the game. Wether it be Rydia's fear of fire being overcome because the party needs fire cast and she's the only one who uses black magic, or if it's all the Locke thief cracks, or the thief-knight zidane-steiner rivalry, it just lends so many things to the game and defines a person's outward charecter so well without the writers going into it. It Garnet was a black mage killing machine it would considerably change the storyline, yes? If sabin was a bard, or if edge were a dancer, would it not alter the story mearely by the definition of it's class? Why not more like IX specifically, with a deep witty plot, if not a little too empty world map?

SeeDRankLou
05-04-2004, 12:30 AM
Wether it be Rydia's fear of fire being overcome because the party needs fire cast and she's the only one who uses black magic, or if it's all the Locke thief cracks, or the thief-knight zidane-steiner rivalry, it just lends so many things to the game and defines a person's outward charecter so well without the writers going into it.

Hmmm....you make a good point there. However, you can have jobs/classes without enforcing the Job System.

I'm all about old school FFs, but I also like the new styles as well. The problem with having a constant or even somewhat constant flow of FFIX's is that it will become just that, old school. People will get tired of playing them, sales will go down, CEOs will be mad. So they have to mix it up, keep everyone on their toes. FFX-2 brought back the Job System, and I hear FFXII is going to be FFT-ish. They can't just keep doing them the same way everytime, because, well, it gets old.

Clyde Arronway
05-04-2004, 01:02 AM
yeah, they can't keep turning up the same stuff, but if a few square people came together and made a game on IX's technological level, it'd be a little cheaper and not affect the company's main vision. they could churn out mabey two games, keep the old schoolites happy for the next 5 years...
what they really need to do is merge V's class system with VI's espers, IX's item mastering and IX's skill equip system. Mabey throw in some materia too. the thing is that one would need to make the systems into one system, rather than running 5 systems simultaneously. I've been trying to make such a system for years, but I've still got to work the espers and materia in better.

RSL
05-04-2004, 02:49 AM
Why not throw in FFVIII's draw and junction system and FFX-2's dress up system while you're at it.

Clyde Arronway
05-04-2004, 03:08 AM
draw and junction could make espers integrate more easily...I'll add that now... but to draw magic when you'r already learning it from materia and equipment and espers... it's overdone. here's my model so far:

People change to a specific class. (V)
The junction espers to gain abilities like magic, item, summon (VI, VIII)
As armor is equipped, skills that mach up with armor, class and espers ar learned (VI, IX)
Skills are converted into materia'esque stones that are equipped in the skill system from IX (VII, IX)

anyone got any refining Ideas?

(sorry, I don't know about dress up. I only have a psx. I don't know anything about FFX, FFX-2, or FFXI. for proof of that last sentance, look in the XI section for a thread I started. I really don't know their systems in any way.)

DocFrance
05-04-2004, 03:22 AM
It seems to me that this would only give the people who played it a horrible headache.

RSL
05-04-2004, 04:06 AM
Dress up is similar to FFV's job change, except it's more drawn out and the girls wear skimpy outfits and that's really the point of final fantasy anyway is girls in skimpy outfits.

Clyde Arronway
05-05-2004, 01:57 AM
It seems to me that this would only give the people who played it a horrible headache.

yes.. absolutely :D
this is why I ask for advice.

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
05-07-2004, 12:01 PM
gameplay is fine the way it is....what makes ff9 great is that square made it feel so authentic....its classic....few tweaks on some areas (i.e story toward the end) though.....but the gameplay is fine!

golden_queen_mercury
05-07-2004, 02:32 PM
I love FF9. I agree that square should make more games like FF9. But what I think is strange, is that the FF12 characters, Vaan and Ashe, look a lot like Zidane and Garnet. But, it's only me. :)

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
05-08-2004, 01:22 AM
^Ashe looked more like the grown up Eiko to me!!

Clyde Arronway
05-08-2004, 07:24 PM
FF XII is based off of FF Tactics Advance, which worries me terribly. I don't think they should add new staples to the series in a little tangent. But there's hope.

aeris2001x2
05-10-2004, 08:35 PM
i dont care what style they use, just make it good. the old school style has its genius (ff6) just as it has its mediocrity (ff2) and the new style has its genius (ff7) and its mediocrity(fx-2).

i would like to see another ff9 style game, but at the same time, i would not abject to complete sci-fi as long as they could intergrate the magic and summons in a sci-fi setting. if it was old school though i,d prefer a model on ff6, which i view as the old styles pinnacle.

please, lets never have that awful dress sphere systerm again. :( :eek:

little devil
06-11-2004, 01:52 PM
Why doesn't Square make more games like IX.

at last some1 that agrees with me!!!! i want them to make a no.2 or somethin!!!

Del Murder
06-12-2004, 01:58 AM
I like these throwback type games. Puts some fantasy back in the series. I hope there is a similar PS2 offering.