PDA

View Full Version : FFX Survey (Help a girl out!)

Loony BoB
05-05-2004, 01:33 PM
I got an email today from someone doing a term project, asking me to complete the following questions - I figured I'd go one better and post the entire lot here so that she can have some emailing-time saved for her. =) Anyway, please answer these questions and help a girl out with her mid-terms! And I don't think you have to make your answers as long as mine, I was bored. :p

1. How did you first get introduced to FFX?
2. Why do you find FFX interesting?
3. What do you think the theme is? Please explain.
4.Tell us any aspects of or relating to the real world you found in the game.
5. How is it different from other games you have played?
6. How is it similar to other games you have played?
7. Did you find the game challenging? If so, explain.
8. Tell us any deep, spiritual meaning you found in the game. (I realize this sounds lame)
9. How did the game affect you?
10. Do you think the game has made any difference in the world today?
11. Who is your favorite character and why?
12. Who is your least favorite character and why?
13. Have you played any other final fantasy games? If so, how does FFX compare to these games?
14. Is this something you do in your spare time?
15. Would you recommend this game to anyone? Why or why not?

As I work at a Final Fantasy website, I was informed of the up-and-coming FFX. I don't think I was working for it at the time, but more so browsing and posting - but this is what alerted me of it nonetheless.

Personally, I don't find it as interesting as other FF's, but one thing it does have in common is a few plot twists and, more importantly, an entire world that has been created from scratch. I love the way that Square Enix can create such worlds, as I'm doing something similar myself.

Oof. I always hated these questions in my English exams. I guess there are a couple of themes, such as perserverance/dedication to what you believe in, and also the Hollywood theme - living in the eyes of the world and having to live up to their expectations or be thrown down by people who don't even know you. ...did I pass? I really suck at themes.

Definitey the latter of those two things I just mentioned - I know a lot of people who can say the slightest thing and the whole world can take it out of context and even further out of control. It's a crule world sometimes. On a more personal level, following my heart and doing my best to get to where I want to be, believing in things that other people think aren't even worth a second thought... stuff like that. I feel that I live life to it's fullest with the least regrets, and I do this by going after the goals that I want to achieve, not by what other people think I can achieve.

It had too many FMV sequences and the characters had a very odd dress sense. That's about it, really. Of course, come FFXII, it'll be even weirder.

Guy and girl (who will fall in love) travel all over the world to save it from an evil force. They travel with a strong but silent (and non-human) character, a couple of more matured people and a chirpy little girl. What more can I say? Oh, they can survive getting shot numerous times but can use a sword to kill a beast about 500 times their size. Can't forget that. ;)

Not really. I got bored of it after a while, mind you.

8. Tell us any deep, spiritual meaning you found in the game. (I realize this sounds lame)
Don't worry, if the game didn't have deep, spiritual meanings then it would have been a failure on yet another level. Thankfully, it did give a few nice thoughts, such as going after what you believe in, as I said before. Unfortunately I never was good at picking these kind of things out, so I'll just stop there.

I got really frustrated at the fact that you had so little control over how things went. It may be all about what the character wanted to do, but that wasn't what I wanted to do! Because of this, the only thing the game really did for me was leave me frowning as I put down the controller and put another game into the PS2.

No, I don't think a game can really achieve that kind of thing.

Hmm. Tough call. Not Wakka. Certainly not Tidus. Not really Lulu. I don't think Yuna really grasped my attention, she was too soft and timid. Rikku was entertaining - I usually can't stand the bubbly whiney little girl, but they pulled it off this time. But overall, Kimahri was my favourite character. Creativity is lovely, and non-human characters are cool. I liked the culture that they gave to his race (the Ronso), too.

Tidus. Probably because I felt I should have more influence and control on his character, and I couldn't because the game was so fixed.

13. Have you played any other final fantasy games? If so, how does FFX compare to these games?
Yup, and FFX unfortunately doesn't compare well. Graphics wise, it's amazing. Story and involvement wise, it's awful. Sorry. It had a lot of potential but they were too fixated on making the story that they forgot to let you have the chance to feel like you're a part of it. This is done rather well in the previous FF games.

Not really - I lose interest when I don't feel like I'm involved in how the story will turn out.

If they want a game with a lot of graphics and a nice fixed storyline, yes. If they want a game where they can make things happen and "become" a character in the story, no. It's just a matter of taste, I guess.

Iceglow
05-05-2004, 03:05 PM

I got introduced to FFX through being a long term fan of the series of games.

'Cause it has a gripping storyline questioning the reality that people see every day and the idea of morals and who controls the world

the theme of FFX in my opinion is the idea of questioning our traditions to find a better way a way to break a cycle. This is because the characters of Tidus and Yuna come from different backgrounds and Tidus makes Yuna a girl who was going to blindly follow the path her father took and complete the cycle again, question the cycle and what the worth of repeating it will be and is there a better way to deal with a problem.

The game relates to the real world in the sense that we have all these morals and traditions and yet we don't ever truly question them and therefore will never know what would happen or what could be if we lived by different morals and traditions. Also the world is ruled by Religion and to not be a part of that religion is to be outcast from the society this reflects the way we treat people who disagree with our morals and traditions.

the game is different from others in the sense that they (the creators) really made the characters beleiveable and then threw questions not so much at the other characters but at the players themselves. Also the game was one of the first to begin near the end so to speak that I have played the idea of playing out the past of the main characters with his thoughts as a narration was quite unique for me.

it poses philosophical questions about societies norms and values. This is present in most of the Final Fantasy series of games.

I found FFX challenging in the respect of yes some of the battles were hard and the game quite hard to complete, but more in a philosophical point of view it challenged my precepts of society as I see it.

I found deep meaning in the way that they convey a world with realistic beleifs and values and then question everything it made me question the real world and religion.

Other than the philosophical questions? :D I know, I've gone on about them a bit. I suppose it had made me open my eyes to the society we live in and ask the point of if there was a different set of norms and values what would society be like and would it improve or impede humanity as a whole.

Most likely no, there was no outcry against the game or much public attention apart from gamers and maybe their parents who brought the game for them. However the children of today who played it could be the government of tommorrow so those who played it and came away with the same questions and points ofview as me could influence the society of the future.

My favourite Character was Auron because he summed up a lot of the questions he had been through the cycle and seen how it ends and begins again and had the insight of being part of the inner workings of the cycle. He challenged the other characters to face their destiny and decide to either change their world for better or worse and live or give up and die.

My least favourite character is a difficult one out of the party you control for the majority of the game I have to say it was Wakka seeing as he never really showed the insight to question the society he lived in up until the end when they had no choice in it. Out of all of the characters in the game I think it had to be gand maester Mika as he had broken his own laws to keep a cycle going when it could have been broken decades before.

I have played every FF game in the series and have to say that in many aspects they are all similar and X relied on some of the aspects of it's predecessors to convey ideas or to make a point. All FF games convey the idea of Love, Sacrifice, Honour, Defeat, Victory, Friendship and Trust. X was not my favourite FF game of the series but it was within my top three of the series.

I have a lot of spare time and therefore do a lot of gaming but I am also a social person and feel that it is something that I do in moderation in my spare time. However my playing of computer games has also crossed over into my studies and work before so it is a work thing too.

I would recommend this game and any of the FF series because they are well written and executed games. they pose many questions and the answers they give you, are not always the answer you would think of but nonetheless they are justifyable answers. They also help convey basic ideas of how people should act towards each other in terms of courtesy and respect, and they also show people that if you have to fight then fight with all of your heart and don't give in no matter what people say to you.

Kegsay
05-05-2004, 05:06 PM
I liked FF7 and 8 and 9 so I thought 10 would be good aswell.

The characters now have voices and they add to the depth and emotion of FFX. I like a good story, that's why it's interesting.

Umm, religious, in a way. Lots of people fighting over petty things. A big killer (Sin, religious word) and such.

Things like everyone's afraid of Sin. Sin is like the bully to Spira, and it compares to the bullies in this world.

It has an in-depth story which is very different to general shoot people, race cars, etc... I prefer a story.

It's similar to other FF's and that's it.

Yeah it was tough at points, like Seymour on Gagazett, he was tough. A little training though, and you win.

That there's always someone who's bigger, badder and wants to rip you to shreds. Heh, no really it shows that there are nasty things in this world.

Yuna........ Err I mean, the characters were good. Made me think about a lot of things throughout the storyline.

No, it's just a game.

Ummm, Auron, he's cool. Silent but.. i dunno, just cool.

Kimahri, he sucked. Maybe just cause i don't really like silent types.

Yes, FFX made a big step with voices. It turned out pretty good, i like the voices. Also, the first FF on the PS2 was bound to get attention. I think it should've been 2nd best FF ever (which it is imho, 2nd to FF7)

Yes, playing games is what I do. I should read a book, but nah, that's boring, heh.

Yes to people who like a good story, 'cause that's what it is, a story and a game, smushed together. ;)

BatChao
05-05-2004, 05:44 PM
Hmm... I want to take a class where the midterm involves writing about FF games! :D

I'm an avid gamer so I follow gaming news closely. I learned of it when it was first announced... probably through IGN.com since I go there a lot.

Well, I really like the gameplay. The battle system was probably the most decent battle system I've ever used in a FF. I liked how you could switch characters out on the fly, which helped you level them all up evenly. I also really enjoyed the story.

Theme...theme.... I haven't played for a while so I can't come up with an exact theme... in fact, I only remember the overall storyline. I'd say it might have something to do with reality vs dreams, following your heart, and religion.

I guess you could say it relates to the real world because some people go through doubts of religion and moral and stuff like that like some characters go through in the game.

Aside from the obvious gameplay differences, I'd say attention to plot is a better than your average game, which Square-Enix is known for.

It's obviously similar to other FFs, but it also has some gaming cliches like guy falling for girl, people saving the world, etc, etc.

Actually, this might have been one of the easier FFs since they did away with the world map, if basically guided you everywhere you needed to go. I actually ran away from a good part of the battles later in the game so the final boss whupped me good. I had to go back and level up a bit... that was the only challenge I faced.

I don't do spiritual stuff... sorry. I'm not a spiritual kind of guy.

I guess it raised the bar in what I expect of RPGs. The gameplay was wonderful.

Oh, definitely. Square-Enix has once again raised the bar on console RPGs and what is expected of them. Huge words, insanse effects, and a deep storyline. They did this years ago on the PSone with FFVII, and they did it again with FFX. Now competitors must try and match this game, for they'll probably be compared to it.

Hmm... I actually didn't think the characters where all that great in FFX... but if I had to pick one, I'd say Auren. I like the fact he carries a jug of like...sake... around with him and chops people up with his HUGE sword. Oh, he wears shades too, which is like a first in a FF.

Probably Kimahri (sp?). He's so useless in battle and so idiotic.

Yea, I have. This is my favorite FF game. I think the battle system and Sphere Grid are my favorites in the FF series (actually, I like FFX-2's battle system a lot too), and it made battles a bit more fun unlike other FFs which had battles seem like a chore.

You mean play games? Yea, I guess you could say that. I actually play more than I have spare time. And soon it'll be my job to play games...or I should say test games.

Oh, sure. The game is really fun! That's the only reason I'd recommend a game. Games are supposed to be fun and FFX is just that.

Kirobaito
05-05-2004, 06:48 PM
BoB: You have no idea how I felt when I read the topic, and who started it.

I had played VII, VIII, and IX, and had a PS2, so I figured I might as well try X.
It was an FF game, and the whole mysteries of the game that you don't understand until the end really pull you into it.
We must enjoy life while we have it, and do the things that we alone can do, because we will all fall from grace and life in the end.
It had cities. Oooo..and people! And sports!
You can switch characters mid-battle.
[n]6. How is it similar to other games you have played?[/b]
It had battle sequences, and creatures that you summon in-battle. The main character dies at the end.
Only Yunalesca and Seymour Flux did I find challenging.
I answered it in the theme.
It made me want to kill myself.
No. Besides several suicides.
I liked Rikku because she was hot.
Tidus because he's a girly pansy.
It's not as good as the others (Except VIII)
Play FF games? Yeah, if I had a PS2 right now.
I'd recommend it simply for the sake of playing it, but it's not that great of a game.

aeris2001x2
05-05-2004, 07:04 PM

i was a keen final fantasy fan and bought it june 2002 but didnt play it until april 2003 cause i heard it sucked and had a social life. i now ask why i didnt play it the day i got it

it has a very original story with some fantastic characters. i also loved the sphere grid and the pal versions super bosses took battles to a new level. it was a prime example of geniius inovation(sp).

i think it is love but not just romance. be it tidus love for yuna, tidus love for his father, auron love for jecht etc it basically says that even when the darkness swallows the world, love will shine eternally.

breaking the shackles of hyprocrisy in the form of yevon forms another theme , that of you have to find different solutions to a problem. you cant just rely on one thing or do as society instructs. it warns of what happens when u blindly follow religion and dont think for yourself.

the obvious one is the religious one. the victors write the history and those who portayed themselves as saints are sinners, yevon. you can compare this to religion itself, its hyprocisy, but also to governments like the bush adminstration. every empire, every religion, every government as a double face, dark secrets to hide.

its ctb systerm i had reservations about first. but far from being awful, it created a whole new tactical systerm that i love. i would have to say it is the most tactical final fantasy for you have to plan ahead alot more and predict enemy attacks. also the sphere grid was highly genius. its class systerm combined with complete customisation was a stroke of divinity. i normally prefer a lv systerm but it proved that there is much more originality left in ff battle systerms. also it was the first ff to feature voices.

well still has similar training, similar chocobos/cid/summons etc and of course story line and characters were top notch as they r in most ff games.

yes. on my first play certain bosses required tactics over power. evrae, seymour flux, sanctury keeper, spectral keeper etc were very memorable in that area. and of course there are 46 enemies harder then the last boss including the notrious dark aeons.(pal version) u required near enough max stats to rule the game.

follow your own heart. do as tidus did and fight for what u believe in and do things your way. i know theres a better 1 but i,m tired...

not as much as other ffs, but tidus meeting with jecht in sin and tidus's death were particularly emotional...yes i cried, almost all ff's make me cry.

not as much as it should. but it has the raised the bar for graphics and battle systerms. it is a glimpse of the future. maybe if games like ff were more recognised as an art like literature, films and music then this game would be hailed as a classic.

yuna. because she represents the uncorrupted purity that everyone strives for. she starts off as a feeble naive girl who must do her duty. but through tidus she matures and becomes more independent, culmanting in the sequal. but she never loses her innocence and kindness, the core of her being.

i didnt dis like any characters at all.

its very fantastic, right near the top. but it just falls short of final fantasy 6 and final fantasy 7.

yes but final fantasy is also the thing i,d do the most if i was a millionaire. final fantasy is my fav thing ever.

yes, for all the reasons i have listed lol.

SilverEclipse
05-05-2004, 08:18 PM
Well, I knew when it came out, but I wasn't an RPG fan at the time. I got interested in it when I heard FFX-2 was coming out, and at the time I had just entered the wonderful world of RPG's thru the amazing Skies of Arcadia..

Just the the level of how emotional the story is, only game that can almost bring a tear up. And the insanely good presentation.

Sacrifice, and a shot at organized religion.

Just some of the emotions in the game

Best story and soundtrack to ever grace a game, and so cinematic.

Well, it is an RPG, you got your random battles and emphasis on story.

Yes, usually at the bosses.

Can't say deep spriitual meaning, but it had an emotional effect.

Almost cried at the ending

Showed that games being like movies isn't necesarily a bad thing

Tidus and Yuna. Yuna cause she's hot and strong-willed. Tidus was just a cool main character. I missed him throughout X-2.

Kimarhi, he serves no purpose in battle and does little for the story.

FF7 and FF8. It's miles above either in every category.

Yea, FF is awesome.

Anyone who has ever played a VG and liked it, should play this game. It has some of the best music, CG graphics, and story ever seen. Not just in a game, in ANYTHING. No movie I've ever seen had a story like FFX.

Silent Warrior
05-06-2004, 10:11 PM
Some ICQ-muppet threw a URL at me. OK, take a look, whopping. Whee.

Now, I'm not really all that interested in it, but then, AURON! AURON, DAMMIT!

Theme? I suppose it would kind of have to be determination (Auron, Seymour) and dedication (Yuna, Wakka, Tidus).

The major religious society is corrupted and intolerant. :p Other than that... No, can't think of any.

You can go up to 99'999 in both damage dealt and HP! :eek: I think it's also the only game I've touched that officially markets itself by graphics. Maybe that's a sign of a character-flaw on my part, but...

It's pretty much a run-of-the-mill videogame-RPG. 'Nuff said.

Not very much until the Dark Aeons dislodged the whole thing.

8. Tell us any deep, spiritual meaning you found in the game.
Oh man, I'm gonna lose a lot of selfrespect because of this... If I could only find an answer, or a way to express myself. :D

It didn't.

No way.

Auron. He has depth, and it seems the writers actually spent some time working out his background instead of just making it up as they went along.

Oooo, tough one... I suppose that would be Tidus. "But I want everything." *Shudder* Lost in translation or otherwise, that's THE MOST HORRIBLE LINE IN ANY GAME I'VE PLAYED!

Sure. It beats all but #6.

Is it even possible to play videogames professionally? ... Oh, yeah, it is. Oh well. Yes, in my spare time.

I wouldn't put my heart into it. I just don't find it worth the effort. I might as well p1mp a game I really like. Like Planescape Torment. :tongue:

Xander
05-09-2004, 06:54 PM

Well I knew about it because I was already into FFVII and IX, but I didn't buy it for quite a while because I was still playing FFIX.

Because I think it has a really interesting storyline and the whole thing with Tidus is interesting - (although sad =| )

Hmm..relationships, such as the relationship of Tidus and his father, love, the love of him and his father, and him and Yuna, and Lulu and Wakka. Or possibly the whole religion thing too.

The relationship between Tidus and his father, that could apply to how people feel in the real world.

It's very involving, and the battle system was interesting, plus the voices were a good addition.

Obviously it was similar to the other Final Fantasys I'd played, in terms of general FF type things like the enemies, creatures, etc.

The game itself, no, but the dark aeons and monster arena bosses were definately challenging.

I didn't really find anything deep or spiritual...

It just made me addicted to it for the time I played it, it made me sad at the end too.

No..in the end it's just a game, it's not going to make a difference to the world.

Rikku, because she's cute and carefree and funny and she always had a positive attitude.

Kimahri, he was kinda boring and you didn't need him in fights really either as Auron had the same skills but better pretty much.

I've finished VII and IX, and FFX is certainly different. I like it better in some ways such as the graphics, voices, and I enjoyed the battle system for what it was. But FFIX is still my favourite.

Yes, when I have time. Playing games rocks.

Yeah I'd recommend anyone at least try it, it depends if you like those sort of games though, but it's a lot of fun I think.

Carnage
05-10-2004, 07:51 PM
your doing a term paper on ff-x. wow i wanna take that class.