PDA

View Full Version : [Talking about everything in FFIX except Kuja]

The Nique
05-05-2004, 09:21 PM
So, I just got to disc 2... its the furthest i've ever gotten in IX, and I'm beginning to enjoy it... or rather, i WAS.

This Kuja charecter... I'm having a hard time dealing with his rather high-quality female-looking torso/clothing (minus the top-half) while he himself is a dude. a man. a guy. This is so very disturbing.

But in anycase, I am enjoying the game regardless. just a question, when do Zidane and Garnet meet up again?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-05-2004, 09:58 PM
From the beginning of Disc 2, about three dungeons separate Zidane and Garnet. One of them is extremely small, however.

As for Kuja, grow up.

The Nique
05-06-2004, 08:23 PM
*check's out Kawaii Ryűkishi's sig*

Sure. 'Grow up' he says...

Anyway... Kuja is by far the most disturbing example of an uber-effeminate make in the FFs that I've seen, and I've played most of them.

Thanx for the info. oh, and please tell me that the cleyra village that just got destoryed, took Quina along with it? Cuase i hate him/her.

SeeDRankLou
05-06-2004, 09:07 PM
This Kuja charecter... I'm having a hard time dealing with his rather high-quality female-looking torso/clothing (minus the top-half) while he himself is a dude. a man. a guy. This is so very disturbing.

And what is so disturbing about it? It's just clothing.

m4tt
05-06-2004, 09:18 PM
*check's out Kawaii Ryűkishi's sig*

Sure. 'Grow up' he says...

You gotta be 21 to drink that stuff, that's plenty grown up. ;)

oh, and please tell me that the cleyra village that just got destoryed, took Quina along with it? Cuase i hate him/her.

You'll find out a little later on. You'll probably be disapointed though.

Silent Warrior
05-06-2004, 09:30 PM
The Nique: That's just the way the game looks. Ok, sure, Kuja doesn't look quite right (though I believe some of the questions will be cleared up further along the story), but that's like chewing out Black Isle or Interplay for releasing Baldur's Gate in a cardboard CD-holder-thing instead of some snazzy DVD/jewel-case. Go complain about Steiner being ridiculous instead. :)

The Nique
05-06-2004, 11:03 PM
Go complain about Steiner being ridiculous instead. you are only reminding me why i refused to play the game in the first place... Don't make me hate it again -_-

Anyway, it wasn't just Kuja's clothing... it was the fact that below the neck, he looks like an underdeveloped woman. When I know, that he is indeed, a man. (The midriff, the butt-floss beneath his skirt thingy @.< etc) This is of course to say nothing of his hair...

I hope I get to kill this cocky, flamboyant silver-haired no-goodnik. Becuase other than his girlesque looks and demeanor, his black mages are really starting to irritate me.

HanaKirei
05-07-2004, 12:41 AM
I hope I get to kill this cocky, flamboyant silver-haired no-goodnik. Becuase other than his girlesque looks and demeanor, his black mages are really starting to irritate me.

Kuja has his reasons for looking the way he does. Not spoiling anything, just leaving it at that.

Though I really don't see what's wrong with a guy being feminine; if you disliked him for what he's done, that's one thing. But hating him for the way he dresses and looks is just kinda petty. @_@ No offense, of course. *poddles off*

Del Murder
05-07-2004, 02:29 AM
You can't hate him for the way he dresses, but you can hate the way he dresses.

The Nique
05-07-2004, 06:18 AM
Though I really don't see what's wrong with a guy being feminine; if you disliked him for what he's done, that's one thing. But hating him for the way he dresses and looks is just kinda petty. @_@ No offense, of course. *poddles off*

Plenty wrong with a guy being feminene... I don't mean just an normally considered effeminate quality like compassion or what have you, but full-blown-*this*-far-away-from-seeming-to-be-an-actual-woman. Although that could get into a mighty un-PC conversation, so I'll leave it at that.

And of course I don't hate him for his clothes... he's obviously the smug bad-guy... hating his clothes and appearence is the by-product of hating him, of course ^_^

aeris2001x2
05-07-2004, 09:14 AM
for god sake i,m sick of these kuja comments and other stuff like "adel is such a man" and "seymour is queer" etc. this is the japanese style of the uber cool villan. i find it funny that sephiroth escapes this, but he wont in advent children.

kujas finery is super and he is incrediably feminine yes, but having been immersed in japanese manga and anime so long i can easily tell a characters gender and kuja always looked male 2 me.

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
05-07-2004, 12:56 PM
funny thing is........its that people will know ff9 for a badly dressed charcter.....kuja will be in our mind forever because of his perculiar sense of "style"!

one thing......what does the term "uber" mean ?

golden_queen_mercury
05-07-2004, 02:26 PM
It's alright the Nique. Garnet and Zidane meet back up after a lot of dungeons to face. Kuja is my most hated character also. But his feminine look makes him more evil. I like it.

Thaliel
05-07-2004, 06:34 PM
Truncation by Kishi: Mark your spoilers.

DocFrance
05-07-2004, 07:08 PM
WOAH THERE!!! Major spoilers! He's only on Disc 2, for the love of God!

SeeDRankLou
05-07-2004, 08:23 PM
Plenty wrong with a guy being feminene... I don't mean just an normally considered effeminate quality like compassion or what have you, but full-blown-*this*-far-away-from-seeming-to-be-an-actual-woman. Although that could get into a mighty un-PC conversation, so I'll leave it at that.

And of course I don't hate him for his clothes... he's obviously the smug bad-guy... hating his clothes and appearence is the by-product of hating him, of course ^_^

Too late, you already started it. It's not that you hate him, it's the reason you hate him that's the problem here. "Plenty wrong with a guy being feminine," like there's plenty wrong with a girl cutting her hair really short, wearing blue jeans, a big t-shirt, no make-up and no bra, and working on a car. That is the most hypocritical double standard I've ever heard. That people still even think like this disgusts me. You should take a history of fashion class and see how men used to dress throughout history. I'd probably be funny to see you vomit over how men used to dress in 500BC, 1200AD, and 1800AD. Throughout history, based on today's defention of feminine, men have been FAR more feminine than woman have. The way people dress is based on so many factors: societal, political, economic, ecuminical, personal, ect. The way Kuja dresses does not imply in the slightest that he is feminine. If he lived on Earth (particularly in rural Texas) then maybe he could be considered feminine, but he doesn't. He lives on Gaia in a fantasy world with different economics, politics and the such. Everyone dresses weird on Gaia, Kuja is no different, he's just showing skin.

P.S.: Many psycologists say that when people have a problem with the way others look, it really reflects an insecurity they have with themselves.

Lord Xehanort
05-07-2004, 08:33 PM
Personally, I find Kuja to be one of the smexxiest things to ever walk my T.V screen. The 'thong' was luscious, the makeup running when Bahamut hits him... *swoons* I love Kuja so freaking much, it's depressing that he gets whipped by that scrawny punk Zidane!

The Nique
05-07-2004, 10:03 PM
for god sake i,m sick of these kuja comments and other stuff like "adel is such a man" and "seymour is queer" etc. this is the japanese style of the uber cool villan. i find it funny that sephiroth escapes this, but he wont in advent children.

Well, I've never said or thought either of the other two you've mentioned. In fact, Kuja is the only FF charecter I've complained about in this manner, i.e., an isolated observation for me. IMO, he is an outstanding example of flamboyancy, and in Final Fantasy, that's not easy to achive.

Kuja's mannerism thusfar is all too wrong for the japanesse uber cool villian, if, indeed, we are going to use such terminology. Sephiroth and Kuja don't even compare at this point. Not in the slightest. Sephiroth was a warrior, very masculine, long hair notwithstanding. Seymour was slick, and not so much of a physical threat as sephiroth, but not 'femminene'.

Now admitedly, there's a finesse' about Kuja which is, yes feminene, but also adds to his villain-esque aura. This I don't mind so much, as Sephiroth, and Seymour had this as well. The difference? The appearence, and 'deilivery' if you will, of the charecter. And that, my firend, is all I'm complaining about.

Kuja is my most hated character also. But his feminine look makes him more evil. I like it.

I would agree, and do to a certain extent. But Kuja just doesn't really inspire the same kind of hatred for evil that Seymour, Sephiroth, or Ultimecia did. Maybe later in the game... I'm only at fossil roo right now...

Now. It seems my comments are being interpreted as sexist, so i have this to say in reponse, first. *ahem*

Dear moron,
Get over yourself.
Thank you.
-With Love, The Nique

Too late, you already started it. It's not that you hate him, it's the reason you hate him that's the problem here. "Plenty wrong with a guy being feminine,"

*Yawn.* read: The Nique: And of course I don't hate him for his clothes... he's obviously the smug bad-guy... hating his clothes and appearence is the by-product of hating him, of course.

like there's plenty wrong with a girl cutting her hair really short, wearing blue jeans, a big t-shirt, no make-up and no bra, and working on a car.

Yes. That's exactly what I said. What is with those girls wearing no bra? i mean seriously. and working on cars? That's not a woman's job. She should be making my apple pie! And getting beat by me becuase she's a woman! And also not voting!!!!one!!!!

That is the most hypocritical double standard I've ever heard. That people still even think like this disgusts me. You should take a history of fashion class and see how men used to dress throughout history.

Hmm. Interesting. Oh, and I have some advice for you as well. Stop physco-analyzing me, and reading into my posts what isnt there.

I'd probably be funny to see you vomit over how men used to dress in 500BC, 1200AD, and 1800AD. Throughout history, based on today's defention of feminine, men have been FAR more feminine than woman have.

Ok, I'm going to cut through the sarcasm here. Seriously, just shut up. I don't care about anything you just said, nor do I think it is in any way relevant to this disscussion, not to mention modern society.

500BC? oh history lessons. Yay. OK, how about this; Egyptian woman had essentially the same citenzenship rights and privleges as men. Oh hey look at that. i know some stuff too. We should like, get together and totally flame people for not, like, knowing smartness stuff like j00 and m3!!!one!1 Even if they DO know stuff, we should just assume they don't!

Just what DO you think the modern definition of feminine is, compared to the "old" one, anyway? Me? I usually ascirbe to this;

Feminene: Describing a trait normally assoiciated with the female sex.

Don't know how much of a spin you can put on that, but go nuts.

P.S.: Many psycologists say that when people have a problem with the way others look, it really reflects an insecurity they have with themselves.

That's funny. Many say the same thing about people who feel the need to analyze and critisize others for no readily apparent reason. Guess we both need some therapy, eh?

I may have been indiscrite and insensitive when I posted that Lou. I'm sure I could've worded it better to convey my actual meaning, instead of what you interpreted it as... But you're really insufferable, not to mention over-sensitive and egotistical...

Now, can someone tell me why fossil roo is so stinking easy? I was hoping for a challenge...

Oh, and for the record, I don't beat women. :eep:

SeeDRankLou
05-07-2004, 10:58 PM
Please take your nonhumorous sarcasm and flush it along with any bull*explitive* you have left in your system. And your last post just justified everything I said in my last post.

Now. It seems my comments are being interpreted as sexist, so i have this to say in reponse, first. *ahem*

(later in the post)

Yes. That's exactly what I said. What is with those girls wearing no bra? i mean seriously. and working on cars? That's not a woman's job. She should be making my apple pie! And getting beat by me becuase she's a woman! And also not voting!!!!one!!!!

Hmmm....wonder how we got that idea.

So here's the deal. You made a sexist comment, and possibly/probably a homophobic comment. Whether you meant for that to be the case or not, it was the case. I do not say this because of my feelings on the matter, I say what I said for anyone who might read this and take offense to it, because in this day and age people should not have to be subjegated to reading something like that. Not to mention there are teenagers on this board who don't need their minds tainted with such comments. So all I'm saying is please watch how you word things if you're going to make comments like that, because I assure you that post was insulting on many levels, both blatantly and implicatorily. And I'm spent, maybe I'll continue my arguement later.

Fossil Roo is just a maze. Nothing too hard about it. Kind of giving you something easy before you get to the Outer Continent.

The Nique
05-07-2004, 11:54 PM
Please take your nonhumorous sarcasm and flush it along with any bull*explitive* you have left in your system. And your last post just justified everything I said in my last post.

Wasn't meant to be funny. it was meant to make a point. How on earth did that justify anything you said to me?

Look. Its obvious that you're on some moral high horse about this, but I will assure you once again that you are misinterpreting what I'm saying, or at least exagerating it. I can't even begin to point out the fallacies in your "arguments". So do me a favor and spoute your narrow minded dribble elsewhere.

Hmmm....wonder how we got that idea.

I am amazed. If you didn't take my 'women beating comments' as utter, utter, sarcasm, making a point opposite to the literal statment, there is NO hope for you.

Are you saying that my OBVIOUSLY sarcastic remark might *gasp* offend someone? Well, I guess thats what people get for not 1) reading into the context and 2) understanding the concept of sarcasm.

So here's the deal. You made a sexist comment, and possibly/probably a homophobic comment. Whether you meant for that to be the case or not, it was the case. I do not say this because of my feelings on the matter, I say what I said for anyone who might read this and take offense to it, because in this day and age people should not have to be subjegated to reading something like that.

How noble of you. I AM a teenager, just as an FYI. And I already admitted miswording my post. Although its funny how you seem so worried about someone else getting offended, when the only person having a problem with this... is you. Are we projecting our feelings onto others? That's also a sign of a phsycological/emotional problem.

If you want my actual viewpoint, then read:
There is nothing wrong with being a women.
Women are of equal worth to men.
IMO, women generally carry qualities associated with their sex, EVEN IF they preform steriotypically male jobs. This works the same for men.
Generally, women wear WOMEN'S clothing. And Men wear MEN'S Clothing. Do women wear jeans and a T-shirt at times? Yeah. Do men wear dresses? Sure, although for some reason, it is frowned upon and doesn't happen usually.
I happen to think that men and women should dress according to what is socially acceptable. Does that mean a hard and fast rule? No. If a woman has to wear a t-shirt to work on a car, or is just doing whatever. fine. It is more socially acceptable for a woman to wear more,... comfortable clothing anyway.
With men, it doesn't work to wear women's clothing, perhaps becuase woman's clothing is made specifically to fit the female form, along with a number of other reasons, not all or even most of which are morally 'wrong headed' or even homophobic.

You wanna argue about how thats a evil thing, for society to put gender roles on people in the form of clothing, fine. But this isn't about that. Its about a game. I expressed my opinion on a charecter in the game, and YOU really need to drop this side subject. Besides that, you're talking to me like I'm a Klan member or something, and I find THAT incredibly offensive.

So all I'm saying is please watch how you word things if you're going to make comments like that, because I assure you that post was insulting on many levels, both blatantly and implicatorily. And I'm spent, maybe I'll continue my arguement later.

No. Don't bother. Your illogic is mind-numbing, and your hollier-than-thou attitude is irritating.

Fossil Roo is just a maze. Nothing too hard about it. Kind of giving you something easy before you get to the Outer Continent.

Thanks.

Lord Xehanort
05-08-2004, 12:03 AM
=You made a sexist comment, and possibly/probably a homophobic comment. Whether you meant for that to be the case or not, it was the case. I do not say this because of my feelings on the matter, I say what I said for anyone who might read this and take offense to it, because in this day and age people should not have to be subjegated to reading something like that. Not to mention there are teenagers on this board who don't need their minds tainted with such comments. So all I'm saying is please watch how you word things if you're going to make comments like that, because I assure you that post was insulting on many levels, both blatantly and implicatorily.

I hate homophobics and all bigots in general.

Also, am I the only one who notices that The Nique defends himself on the issue of sexist statements, but not homophobic statements? Perhaps he intended on a homophobic statement. He seems not to care about the atrocious way he words things or other people's opinions, for that matter.

The Nique
05-08-2004, 12:15 AM
So now I'm being labled? I've never been met with so much hypocrisy in my life. Not to mention irrelevance. NOWHERE does homsexuality come into play in the disscussion. I said that Kuja was effeminate. I did NOT say "Oh god I hate him cuase he's so obviously GAY" (which he is not, and nor do I belive he is, although his sexual preferance doesn't really matter in the story at this point) and to interpret my post as such is not only a gross misrepresentation, but it is further unethical to make an example out of me based on that exxagerated-at-best viewpoint.

Lord Xehanort
05-08-2004, 12:31 AM
So now I'm being labled? I've never been met with so much hypocrisy in my life. Not to mention irrelevance. NOWHERE does homsexuality come into play in the disscussion. I said that Kuja was effeminate. I did say "Oh god I hate him cuase he's so obviously GAY" (which he is not, and nor do I belive he is, although his sexual preferance doesn't really matter in the story at this point) and to interpret my post as such is not only a gross misrepresentation, but it is further unethical to make an example out of me based on that exxagerated-at-best viewpoint.

"This Kuja charecter... I'm having a hard time dealing with his rather high-quality female-looking torso/clothing (minus the top-half) while he himself is a dude. a man. a guy. This is so very disturbing."

Males who act and/or dress like females... sounds like bisexuals or homosexuals to me. Well, at least bisexuals b/c that's kinda how I act. I wear thongs, and if I had Kuja-sama's outfit, I'd wear it at the mall. If any homosexual can pick up the other half, please do.

"Anyway, it wasn't just Kuja's clothing... it was the fact that below the neck, he looks like an underdeveloped woman. When I know, that he is indeed, a man. (The midriff, the butt-floss beneath his skirt thingy @.< etc) This is of course to say nothing of his hair... "

Like I said, thongs are nice. I wear them, I love them, anybody with a problem can shut the trout up about it.

"If a woman has to wear a t-shirt to work on a car, or is just doing whatever. fine. It is more socially acceptable for a woman to wear more,... comfortable clothing anyway.
With men, it doesn't work to wear women's clothing, perhaps becuase woman's clothing is made specifically to fit the female form, along with a number of other reasons, not all or even most of which are morally 'wrong headed' or even homophobic."

So... women can cross-dress but men can't?

Do you now see how you could possibly be taken for a homophobic?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-08-2004, 02:08 AM
Oh come on. Not even Nique deserves this.

From now on this thread is just about Nique's questions about the actual game. Any more Kuja-talk, either for or against the guy, will get it closed. Arbitration (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=arbitration), baby.

The Nique
05-08-2004, 03:00 AM
Oh come on. Not even Nique deserves this.

Ouch. That hurts. Didn't think I had a bad reputation here... or even any reputation here at all.

But beggers can't be choosers, so I'll take whatever support I can get. Thank you. As I've conceded, the unmentionable comment in question was more immature than intended, and my sarcasm and wording is not always 'on the nose'. But I assure everyone here that I am neither insecure about my manhood, nor am I homophobic, or sexist. Any interest in a moral disscussion of related topics should be sent over PM, as I now tend to aviod the 'eyes on each other' section.

Topic at hand. Are the Black mages human in any way?

Linus
05-08-2004, 03:11 AM
Spam.

Not this thread, just this post.

The Nique
05-08-2004, 06:12 AM
Um, ok. That's ...well. That's out-and-out dumb.

Can I get an explination of the abilities system in the game? I couldn't stand 'teach me mogster' so I just winged it. You seem to gain... abilities you control, and other auto-abilities, or conditions. (Like add-stat or auto-potion)

Not quite sure how this works... seems fairly simple though. Any way I could get a brief rundown?

Del Murder
05-08-2004, 07:17 AM
You learn abilities by equipping items. As you gain AP you can master the ability, shown by the little meter underneath said ability. The action abilities have a red jewel and they are used in battle (Fire, Shiva, Power Break, etc.). The abilities with a blue jewel are the auto-abilities that are equippable from the menu (auto-haste, Body Temp). You need points to equip them, so you may only use a few at a time. You get more points as you level up. Hope this helped!

SeeDRankLou
05-08-2004, 08:31 AM
Topic at hand. Are the Black mages human in any way?

This information would spoil the game for you. I assume you're continuing to play the game, you'll find out at about mid Ch 3 (I think). "What" the black mages are has to do with several characters in the game. It's a juicey tidbit, I don't want to spoil it for you.

The Nique
05-08-2004, 10:37 PM
You get more points as you level up. Hope this helped!

Indeed it does. So, if I have this straight, items are the only way to gain new actions, and auto-abilities?

This information would spoil the game for you. I assume you're continuing to play the game, you'll find out at about mid Ch 3 (I think). "What" the black mages are has to do with several characters in the game. It's a juicey tidbit, I don't want to spoil it for you.

Appreciated, although... how do you define the chapters? Not by disc # I assume...

Anyway, i get that they are somehow comprised of the mist... although since kuja supplys the mages, and is from the outer world I'm not sure how he would have them outside of the mist cintient, seeing as the outer continent is deviod of the mist.

I could be misunderstanding this aspect though.

Del Murder
05-08-2004, 11:53 PM
So, if I have this straight, items are the only way to gain new actions, and auto-abilities?
Yes. So don't get rid of your old crap!

The Nique
05-09-2004, 12:53 AM
At the risk of sounding silly... thats nifty. Slightly irritating, but nifty...

More commentary on FF IX's system later. stay tuned.

SeeDRankLou
05-09-2004, 01:22 AM
Appreciated, although... how do you define the chapters? Not by disc # I assume...

Oh wow, I've been playing FFX-2 for too long. I meant disc 3 not Ch 3. Oops :D

The Nique
05-09-2004, 10:00 PM
got ya.

Yeah. FFX-2... fun fun fun... still haven't beaten it though.

But I need to finish 9 first... In fact, I think I'll play right now...

aeris2001x2
05-10-2004, 08:15 PM
I love cheese.

ok i know i,m immature. i hope known of u claim ffx-2 is better then ff9.

i think all the ff games should be split into chapterd i miss the old feel of joy every time i finished a disc on ff7-9 and it just feels natural. it gives u a sense of progress. will ffxii be super huge and have more then 1 disc???

The Nique
05-10-2004, 10:55 PM
yeah, well. When I played FFX, I got over that real fast.

Switching discs was kinda cool, but I'll take my uber graphic + VG fun ps2 Final Fantasys on dvd-roms anyday.

lilman2907
07-07-2005, 12:34 PM
Well one tip just think it over as u play and it will be revieled more clearly!!!!

Craig
07-07-2005, 01:43 PM
Someone told me that in Japan Kuja was actually female, and named differently. Any substance to that?

TurkSlayer
07-07-2005, 09:04 PM
Someone told me that in Japan Kuja was actually female, and named differently. Any substance to that?

I don't believe so. I've many things about Kuja, but never that. But then, I don't live in Japan, so what do i know?

Buccura
07-07-2005, 09:15 PM
[QUOTE=The Nique]This Kuja charecter... I'm having a hard time dealing with his rather high-quality female-looking torso/clothing (minus the top-half) while he himself is a dude. a man. a guy. This is so very disturbing.QUOTE]

Wuss

Lord Xehanort
07-07-2005, 09:23 PM
KUJA'S OUTFIT IS SEXY AND SO IS HE!!!! KUJA-SAMA IS A SEX GOD AND ALL WHO DISAGREE ARE INFIDELS!!!!!!!!!

OwneD
07-08-2005, 10:50 AM
for the first: Kuja doesn't look gay in his clothes, it's only the player himself that judges him to that becouse of his cloth style that is different from the others

second: what's really wrong with quina? s/he's not useless at all, instead very powerful, if u're getting annoyed by their clothes so shouldn't be playing the game

GooeyToast
07-08-2005, 10:53 AM
Quina is the bomb.

rcabronx
07-08-2005, 08:09 PM
The Nique NEVER said Kuja looked GAY! He said he looked effeminite by his body shape and clothing. Kuja has softly rounded, thick hips and a tiny waist, which is a feminine quality. His clothing accentuates his physique. The Nique finds it disturbing that the main bad guy of the game looks so much like a woman when he is obviously a man. Not once did the guy say Kuja was gay, or that he didn't like Kuja because of his clothing or whatever. He is getting attacked for an opinion he posted about a villain's look that is being read into as something else way too much.... it's pretty ridiculous....

I think everyone just needs to chillax and not take everything so damn to heart.....

The Nique
07-09-2005, 02:57 AM
Didn't think it would be THIS thread that would drag me back here...

As much as I appriciate how you have managed to realize that I was in no way hate mongering or otherwise being a bigot, rcabronx, I started this thread over a YEAR ago. It's time to drop it. If the way this disscussion went before is any indication of how the forumites currently react, then it is best to leave it alone.

Can we lock it please?

Del Murder
07-09-2005, 03:09 AM
Old thread. People weren't following the rules of this topic anyway.