PDA

View Full Version : Is NOTHING Sacred?!

The Captain
05-05-2004, 10:07 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=545&ncid=755&e=1&u=/ap/20040505/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bbo_spider_man_on_base

Quite sad if you ask me. Ads on Jockeys, buildings, cars, now in bases. What's next?

Do you think there is anyplace that is still immune to having ads on it?

Take care all.

Peegee
05-05-2004, 10:13 PM
Maddox

My journals also lack ads.

Kirobaito
05-05-2004, 10:14 PM
I lack ads.

BEAST WARS!!!

The Captain
05-05-2004, 10:16 PM
It can be argued that you both are subliminally advertising what is in your signatures.

Still, I take your points. Touche`!

Take care all.

Kirobaito
05-05-2004, 10:18 PM
It can also be argued that I advertised what was in my sig in my previous post.

Lindy
No, nothing is sacred any more.

Roll on adverts in church sermons, I bet the catholics will be first.

Dr Unne
All 15 people who still watch baseball on TV in the US are probably going to be upset.

Lindy
05-05-2004, 10:22 PM
All 15 people who still watch baseball on TV in the US are probably going to be upset.
Insomniacs in the UK can watch it late night on one of our channels, so you can't count those 4 out.

Rye
05-05-2004, 10:24 PM
Never thought I'd see the day that movies would be advertised on bases. xD

Kirobaito
05-05-2004, 10:25 PM
I think all 15 of those people post on these forums, too.

The Captain
05-05-2004, 10:27 PM
I know I do.

I'm now just counting the days until Major League Baseball becomes: Starbucks Baseball League, or something to that extent.

Take care all.

escobert
05-05-2004, 10:48 PM
Vermont lacks Billboards. It's illegal here :)

m4tt
Doesn't really bother me all that much. From the look of the picture, it's a very small logo. Most of the camera angles in baseball games are too far out to even see that.

Unless they show the games on fox where they like to zoom in close enough to see Barry Bonds' nose hairs.

Dragonflame
How many people do they really think they're going to reach by advertising on bases? The few hundred people good enough to play professionally? Somehow, I don't think a few hundred baseball players, who will probably ignore the ads anyway, will affect anything's sales enough to be worth the price of advertising.

Shlup
I hate advertising. It enrages me to think about it.

Kirobaito
05-05-2004, 10:50 PM
Seriously, I was planning on seeing Spiderman 2 anyway.

Dragonflame
05-05-2004, 10:59 PM
Actually, I wasn't, but now that it's appearing on bases I can't refuse.

Skogs
05-06-2004, 12:18 AM
I'm suprised they didn't think of it earlier.

Peegee
05-06-2004, 12:38 AM
I hate advertising. It enrages me to think about it.

You're one of those jerks (:p) who don't watch commercials, aren't you? That's stealing, I says!

Kirobaito
05-06-2004, 12:39 AM
This lacks logic. The two biggest movie audiences are in LA and NY, and it's not like any game involving those teams will show ANY batter touching a base.

BatChao
05-06-2004, 01:07 AM
I think it's a cool idea... yea. I don't mind advertising as long as it isn't affecting me in any way and stopping me from doing anything. *kills popups*

Dragonflame
05-06-2004, 02:57 AM
Advertising in itself isn't a bad thing. But most advertising is worthless, and irritates me. Putting advertising on bases doesn't affect me at all, except to pity the poor idiot who suggested it and will shortly be losing his job due to encouraging his company to waste their money in such a stupid way.

frr_vegeta
05-06-2004, 05:40 AM
All your base are belong to Peter Parker.

Rainecloud
05-06-2004, 07:07 AM
Insomniacs in the UK can watch it late night on one of our channels, so you can't count those 4 out.

Didn't you hear? They died.

Ran Ciel
05-06-2004, 07:23 AM
I had heard a short time ago on the news about this guy who wanted to sell advertising space on his head. Apparently he put the offer out there cause he needed to put his kids through college, though no company had taken it yet.

DMKA
05-06-2004, 07:35 AM
WTF? Thats just stupid...and disturbing. If anything, I think this will make them lose money. Sheesh. When I first read "ads on bases" I thought it was military bases that were being refferred to, however, then I remembered that thats already been going on forever...here in the US anyway. :p

Yeah its pretty sad but eh, it really doesn't bother me...

Did I say it doesn't bother me out loud? Crap...*runs from ad hating mob ready to lynch I, the blasphemous heathen*. :eek:

Ariel
05-06-2004, 09:46 AM
That's just cheesy. xD

With too much advertising, I get annoyed. That makes me less inclined to be interested in purchasing whatever's being advertised, and makes their time and money, at least for one potential customer, worthless. When will people learn that overexposure can be a bad, bad thing? @_@

Dreamtiger42
05-06-2004, 05:43 PM
I always see cows with adds on them :confused: its really strange, anyone else see them round their area? :confused:

Ouch!
05-06-2004, 06:06 PM
This is absolutely rediculous.

Why would a little red diamond on a bass with yellow webbing "reach out to younger audiences? It's not like it's going to make kids say, "Daddy, take me to the baseball game so I can see the Spider-man bases!" I say we line up the advertising agents responsible and eliminate them in the most gruesome way possible.

DMKA
05-06-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Zaphier
I say we line up the advertising agents responsible and eliminate them in the most gruesome way possible.
No no, just allow them a little more time to do it themselves...they deserve a chance at Darwin Awards. :D

Dragonflame
05-06-2004, 09:50 PM
This is absolutely rediculous.

Why would a little red diamond on a bass with yellow webbing "reach out to younger audiences?

Whoa! They're putting them on fish too? I knew they were advertising on bases, but on bass!?

Doc Sark
05-06-2004, 10:46 PM
I am amazed this wasn't thought of before. I am by no means an expert on exclusively U.S. sports, but I checked out some baseball jerseys and I noticed there were no sponsors on them. Is the case for most American sports. I know this is the case with Major League Soccer.

Football (soccer) is the English national sport and ALL teams in the top 4 leagues and most below that are sponsored by a complany and wear that name on their shirts. Furthermore, The Captain suggested that renaming Major League Baseball to Starbucks Major League Baseball would be crazy. It happens in England though, you have the FA Barclaycard Premiership, Nationwide League Division 1,2,3 and Conference. Then the lower leagues have been sponsored by everyone from Anglian Windows to Dr. Martens. Its done to an excess in motor racing, ads plastered all over the cars.

Dragonflame
05-07-2004, 12:38 AM
Anyone advertising in American soccer games is really wasting their money. No one in the U.S. watches soccer.

Doc Sark
05-07-2004, 12:48 AM
Sure they do, I have seen some pretty packed stadiums when I watch the higlights on the internet. It is the fastest rising sport in America. Why would they put it on tv if no one watched it, plus soccer is the most popular international sport by a mile, and with the rise of young Freddy Adu, it won't be long before everyone wants to sponsor him too adding to the profile of the MLS.

bennator
05-07-2004, 02:46 AM
Whoa! They're putting them on fish too? I knew they were advertising on bases, but on bass!?

*slaps you with a trout* :trout:

Dragonflame
05-07-2004, 09:22 PM
Well, I just saw today that they decided not to advertise on bases after all, due to excessive fan protest.