PDA

View Full Version : Battle System

jonnyt61
05-06-2004, 08:33 PM
I'm from the UK, and I'm waiting for PS2 version of FFXI to be released but I just would like to know how the battle system works. I have read many articles but none seem to explain it properly. Can anyone help me?

Flying Mullet
05-06-2004, 08:40 PM
It's a pretty simple engine really. Just imagine your active time battles in the final fantasies and apply that to an open roaming game. You walk around and you see an enemy. You pick that you want to fight it and you just walk up and the two of you start duking it out. There are no cut-scenes or battle vs. wandering around screens, it's all seemless, kind of like Chrono Trigger. The biggest reason that people don't understand how battles work is that they are thinking of Final Fantasy battles in the traditional sense where you are wandering around and the screen flashes, makes a noise, and then you are taken to a battle screen. That doesn't happen in this game, it's a lot similar to Chrono Trigger or Parasite Eve in a sense that you go straight from wandering to battle.

jonnyt61
05-06-2004, 08:43 PM
Oh I think I understand it a little bit better now, thanks a lot.

Learza
06-02-2004, 08:14 PM
best part is ...the computer does all the work...all u do is input magic and special abilities..sweet...at least this allows for eazier sending for help when in battle..lol. ;)