PDA

View Full Version : INSANE music quiz

Lindy
05-07-2004, 08:44 PM
I was bored, wrote a long quiz with lots of hard questions about music I like, and so on.
So try the questions, <b>PM me the answers</b> (not post), and I'll reply with your score.
Whoever gets the highest after, I dunno, however long it takes for this to die wins.
Depending on how I'm feeling, who it is that wins or by how many the winner gets right, I may give out a prize.
This could be anything musically related, well I say anything, it could be something like a CD from Amazon, or maybe if I'm feeling very cheap, my entire MP3 collection on CDs (1915 tracks).

Eh, so anyway, on with...

The Insane Music Quiz

1. Which two bands share the word "Boy" as the first word in their name, and share the same record label?
2. Which famous route in America is the title of a song by an indie band, and contained in the lyrics of <s>another (now not very, but used to be) emo band</s> Jimmy Eat World?
3. Name the two bands.
4. Name the band and song from which these lyrics are taken : "It's the price to fly, in a cage of wire"
5. Which band derived the song names for their new album from film titles and lines?
6. Name the album.
7. Which UK band's recent New York gig, part of the tour for their new album, sold out within minutes of going on sale?
8. Name the lead singer of Snow Patrol
9. Name the main side project for which he wrote all the songs.
10. How did the band "Ash" get their name?
11. How were they first marketed by their producers?
12. Which Chicago-born pop-rock band have their own Cognicentric Laws?
13. East Bay Ray is the guitarist for which band?
14. Name the lead singer of the most famous UK Trash Rock band Placebo
15. Which UK "metal" band supported Iron Maiden on their recent UK tour?
16. What was the name of Feeder's most recent album?
17. Who designed the covers of the album and all the singles from the album, except for Find The Colour
18. In what were the promos of the Greenday album "Warning" packaged in?
19. What was the name of Chester (of Linkin Park infamy)'s band before Linkin Park?
20. Which joke-punk band taught us that flowers are pretty?
21. Name the two bands that were formed from the split of At The Drive-In
22. Name their first EPs
23. Which a-political punk band sang the song Ego Fum Papa?
24. Name the pretentious but successful musician who wrote a number of the tracks famous to The Matrix and Matrix Reloaded
25. George Thorogood's band "The Destroyers" were for a short while once known under what name?

Basically, this is for those of you with your fingers in all the pies, those of obscurity and popularity, and just good natured fun music.
Try, try with all your might, and for the love of a good woman, DON'T CHEAT, please? You're only cheating yourself.

P.S. Post about how lame my taste in music is, if you want, or comment on how the questions suck.

Xander
05-07-2004, 10:30 PM
I think I did quite well :)

And your taste in music rocks, except for the lack of Blink 182.

Kirobaito
05-07-2004, 10:32 PM
I think I did quite well :)

And your taste in music rocks, except for the lack of Blink 182.

And the lack of country music. http://www.roughstock.com/cowpie/images/gee-tar.gif

Lindy
05-07-2004, 10:38 PM
Yes, so basically it's about GOOD music.

Kirobaito
05-07-2004, 10:39 PM
No point in arguing with that...me and Fuzakeru are the only people here that know what music is. :p

Lindy
05-07-2004, 10:45 PM
Eh, some country is alright, I prefer bluegrass mostly anyway.

Though I like some Lambchop stuff, mild country rock, listenable stuff. Try the quiz?

Kirobaito
05-07-2004, 10:49 PM
I tried the quiz already. Here were my answers.

1. Which two bands share the word "Boy" as the first word in their name, and share the same record label?
I don't know.
2. Which famous route in America is the title of a song by an indie band, and contained in the lyrics of another (now not very, but used to be) emo band Jimmy Eat World? Route 66
3. Name the two bands. I don't know
4. Name the band and song from which these lyrics are taken : "It's the price to fly, in a cage of wire" I don't know
5. Which band derived the song names for their new album from film titles and lines?
I don't know
6. Name the album. I don't know
7. Which UK band's recent New York gig, part of the tour for their new album, sold out within minutes of going on sale? I don't know
8. Name the lead singer of Snow Patrol. I don't know
9. Name the main side project for which he wrote all the songs. I don't know
10. How did the band "Ash" get their name? From TheAbominatrix
11. How were they first marketed by their producers? As baseball bats
12. Which Chicago-born pop-rock band have their own Cognicentric Laws? I don't know
13. East Bay Ray is the guitarist for which band? I don't know
14. Name the lead singer of the most famous UK Trash Rock band Placebo. What the hell is Trash Rock?
15. Which UK "metal" band supported Iron Maiden on their recent UK tour? I don't know.
16. What was the name of Feeder's most recent album? I don't know.
17. Who designed the covers of the album and all the singles from the album, except for Find The Colour. I don't know.
18. In what were the promos on the Greenday album packaged in? I don't know.
19. What was the name of Chester (of Linkin Park infamy)'s band before Linkin Park? I don't know.
20. Which joke-punk band taught us that flowers are pretty? I don't know.
21. Name the two bands that were formed from the split of At The Drive-In. I don't know
22. Name their first EPs. I don't know
23. Which a-political punk band sang the song Ego Fum Papa? I don't know.
24. Name the pretentious but successful musician who wrote a number of the tracks famous to The Matrix and Matrix Reloaded. I don't know.
25. George Thorogood's band "The Destroyers" were for a short while once known under what name? I don't know.

Lindy
05-07-2004, 10:51 PM
At least you're honest, you'd need an obscure taste to get even a few of them.

Xander only got 3 out of 25.

Kirobaito
05-07-2004, 10:53 PM
And I didn't just copy "I don't know" in every line. I actually read the question. I just had never heard of any artist, song, or album on that list.

It's not that I haven't tried getting into other kinds of music; I just find those other kinds to be so mind-numbingly stupid, that I can't help but go back to my roots.

Xander
05-07-2004, 10:56 PM
I think I made some pretty good guesses. And I couldn't be bothered to write out "I don't know" 22 times. :rolleyes2

Lindy
05-07-2004, 10:57 PM
Oh well, different strokes for different folks. I find Country music hard to get into because to me it's mind-numbingly boring, most of the time anyway. Urg, Kris Kristofferson, bad memories.

Most of the bands mentioned are from the UK anyway, which works for me since I am too, so it's just dependant on where you're from I guess.

Bah, more people should attempt this so I can laugh at how odd my taste in music is.

Kirobaito
05-07-2004, 11:00 PM
So, did I get any right? Was the band "Ash" really named after TheAbominatrix?

Rigormortis
05-07-2004, 11:01 PM
To be honest I have no idea of the answers to that quiz cos I don't listen to all that "country" "bluegrass" "trash rock (???)" and stuff like that. :confused:
No offence implied to ne 1 but in my opinion... I only listen to bands with real skill, and are actually good. :cool:
Now that that's off my chest, I have to say King Bahamut provided the most original, definitive and down right funny answers I have ever seen to a quiz.
I say give King Bahamut the prize. :D

Kirobaito
05-07-2004, 11:04 PM
There was nothing about country or bluegrass on the quiz, sadly. I'm not quite sure what kind of music that is, actually. If it was country and bluegrass I would pwn it.

Lindy
05-07-2004, 11:06 PM
It's mostly indie, emo, soft rock, or assorted random punk rock stylings, and they ARE skilled bands.

I suppose you're going to say that you like a few million metal bands now, well get this, talent does not always mean a band is good, if they just go over the top all the time.

I'm happy with three or four chord songs, I don't really need much more if the music sounds good.

IGN64skanker
05-08-2004, 02:02 AM
Tough quiz. I think I did "okay"... maybe by comparison, but not too well overall.

Lindy
05-08-2004, 07:47 PM
9/25 Skanker, pretty good considering how hard I made the evil thing, you got the ones I would have expected you to anyway, what with your indie/emo roots.

IGN64skanker
05-09-2004, 11:13 PM
9/25 Skanker, pretty good considering how hard I made the evil thing, you got the ones I would have expected you to anyway, what with your indie/emo roots.

Which ones did I get right? I think there were only 7 or 8 I knew for sure...

escobert
05-10-2004, 12:01 AM
No point in arguing with that...me and Fuzakeru are the only people here that know what music is. :p
I listend to country last night and this morning :)

Peegee
05-10-2004, 06:02 AM
Emo? Tokki is a self-styled emo geek.

I listen to country also, but I'm not a psychotic fan :D

Calliope
05-10-2004, 06:25 AM
Brian Molko?

I have failed you Lindz!

Lindy
05-10-2004, 08:27 PM
Nicky, Nicky, Nicky, I'm disturbed that you don't know the answers to the two questions about Ash, disturbed and saddened. I'm also disturbed that you haven't even tried the rest of them.

And Skanker, you got 2, 8, 9, 13, 14, 20, 21, 22 and 23 right.

Oh, and PG, we all know that Emo is great. It's the most supreme form of comedy, that's why I love it so.

Calliope
05-11-2004, 02:54 AM
"Ash" was the first short word they liked in the dictionary.

And...err...the band had to perform in drag?

I'M SO SORRY!

Lindy
05-11-2004, 07:11 PM
And...err...the band had to perform in drag?

I'M SO SORRY!

Rent Boys ;___; Because they were managed by people from Holland, so what do you expect?

YOU SHOULD BE SORRY

Next you'll be telling me you don't know the names of all the members ;__;

eestlinc
05-11-2004, 09:50 PM
At the Drive-In has something to do with the Mars Volta or something. My roommate has that cd.

Calliope
05-13-2004, 02:42 AM
I went and looked at Charlotte's homepage yesterday. It's great!

DMKA
05-13-2004, 02:22 PM
Theres only 2 country songs that I find ok: Amazed by Lonestar and Strawberry Wine by Deanna Carter...not sure why those 2, but meh.

But John Denver is the evilest of evils...one of the few musical artist that I celebrated when his death was announced.

Anywho, yeah, I have my crap I listen to and the rest of you have yours...its all good, but I can't stand when people tell me "you don't know what REAL music is" just because I don't listen to what they listen to >_<.

White Raven
05-13-2004, 04:05 PM
Heh, my knowledge of all those bands mentioned in most of the first 24 questions is little to none.

Though for 25, I think the answer is "Delaware Destroyer's"...or was it "Destroyer's in Delaware"? In anycase it's something like that.

If you don't mind, I'll give a bit more trivia...

What names do these classic rockers usually go by?

-Patricia Andrejewski
-John Francis Bongiovi
-David Robert Hayward Stenton Jones
-Clyde Jackson Browne
-Vincent Damon Furnier
-Robert Zimmerman
-Reginald Kenneth Dwight
-Marvin Lee Aday
-Farouk Bulsara

Lindy
05-13-2004, 06:10 PM
Though for 25, I think the answer is "Delaware Destroyer's"...or was it "Destroyer's in Delaware"? In anycase it's something like that.

The former, and I'm very glad that at least someone knows that.

Calliope
05-14-2004, 11:31 AM
Oh, and were you talking about Warning when all the cds were packaged in "Warning" tape? I should have stolen some ;_;

Lindy
05-14-2004, 08:11 PM
Oh, and were you talking about Warning when all the cds were packaged in "Warning" tape? I should have stolen some ;_;
I was talking about Warning, just realised I forgot to put the album name, whoops.

But it wasn't Warning tape, no, it was the packaging from Apple Mac computers, printed with the warning logo, very snazzy, almost got my hands on one and then I realised that the album sucked.