PDA

View Full Version : Weird Laws

Kirobaito
05-07-2004, 09:33 PM
Here are some weird laws. Discuss.

Alabama
- It is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle.

- Dominoes may not be played on Sunday.

- It is illegal to wear a fake mustache that causes laughter in church.

California
- Sunshine is guaranteed to the masses.

- Animals are banned from mating publicly within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school, or place of worship.

- Bathhouses are against the law.

- It is a misdemeanor to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale.

- Women may not drive in a house coat.

Florida
- Women may be fined for falling asleep under a hair dryer, as can the salon owner.

- A special law prohibits unmarried women from parachuting on Sunday or she shall risk arrest, fine, and/or jailing.

- If an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle.

- It is illegal to sing in a public place while attired in a swimsuit.

- Men may not be seen publicly in any kind of strapless gown.

- Having sexual relations with a porcupine is illegal.

- It is illegal to skateboard without a license.

- When having sex, only the missionary position is legal.

Kansas
- Prohibits shooting rabbits from a motorboat.

Louisiana
- It is illegal to rob a bank and then shoot at the bank teller with a water pistol.

Indiana
- It is illegal for a liquor store to sell cold soft drinks.

- Liquor stores may not sell milk.

Michigan
- You may not swear in front of women and children in the state of Michigan.

Nebraska
- It is illegal for bar owners to sell beer unless they are simultaneously brewing a kettle of soup.

New York
- A fine of $25 can be levied for flirting. This old law specifically prohibits men from turning around on any city street and looking "at a woman in that way." A second conviction for a crime of this magnitude calls for the violating male to be forced to wear a "pair of horse-blinders" wherever and whenever he goes outside for a stroll.

- It is against the law to throw a ball at someone's head for fun.

- A license must be purchased before hanging clothes on a clothesline.

- The penalty for jumping off a building is death.

North Dakota
- Beer and pretzels can't be served at the same time in any bar or restaurant.

- It is illegal to lie down and fall asleep with your shoes on.

Ohio
- It is illegal to fish for whales on Sunday.

- It is illegal to get a fish drunk.

Pennsylvania
- A person is not eligible to become Governor if he/she has participated in a duel.

Texas
- It is illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing.

- It is illegal to drive without windshield wipers. You don't need a windshield, but you must have the wipers.

- It is illegal for one to shoot a buffalo from the second story of a hotel.

- It is illegal to milk another person's cow.

- A recently passed anticrime law requires criminals to give their victims 24 hours notice, either orally or in writing, and to explain the nature of the crime to be committed.

- The entire Encyclopedia Britannica is banned in Texas because it contains a formula for making beer at home.

Wisconsin
- You must manually flush all urinals in a building.

- Butter substitutes are not allowed to be served in state prisons.

:smash:

Rye
05-07-2004, 09:35 PM
- A license must be purchased before hanging clothes on a clothesline.

Lies! We did it all the time when we had a clothesline! xD

Dragonflame
05-07-2004, 09:35 PM
Hurry up and get that soup started! I want my beer!

Breine
05-07-2004, 10:06 PM
Haha! I've always thought that Americans have silly laws! :D

Maxico
05-07-2004, 10:12 PM
Well aparantly there is a very old english law that allows you to shoot a welshman with a crossbow in a certain churchyard on the border of england and wales on a sunday.

Mikztsu
05-07-2004, 10:15 PM
Here's some weird laws from Canada:

Toronto - You can't drag a dead horse down Yonge St. on a Sunday.

Alberta Provincial Laws - It is illegal to set fire to the wooden leg of a wooden legged man.

New Brunswick Provincial Laws - Driving on the roads is not allowed.

What the hell is wrong with you N-American people. :greenie:

Strider
05-07-2004, 10:47 PM
- Sunshine is guaranteed to the masses. It wasn't a couple weeks ago. I oughta sue the state government.

Erdrick Holmes
05-07-2004, 10:52 PM
In Michigan if a person breaks into your house and hurts themselves he/she can sue the house owner and win

Smoking while sleeping is against the law

In some place in Australia only a licsenced electrition can change a light bulb.

Kirobaito
05-07-2004, 10:55 PM
I forgot to mention: some of these laws have been since repealed. Such as the "Sunshine is guaranteed to the masses." That was to try to get settlers to come to California. When they realized that it does RAIN there, they repealed it before anyone bothered to read the laws.

Ichy
05-07-2004, 11:17 PM
There's an old law I heard of from way back when the first automobile was produced that stated it was illegal to to drive anywhere without a man carrying a green coloured lantern running in front of your vehicle yelling "CAR! CAR!"

In the town where I live (Aylmer, Quebec) it is illegal to carry an empty ice cream cone in your left pocket.

Meat Puppet
05-07-2004, 11:52 PM
It should be illegal to make laws whilst under the influence of drugs

PeTeRL90
05-07-2004, 11:59 PM
It's illegal to molest trash cans in Florida.

It's illegal for your dog to molest a car in Kansas.

And in Canada (I think), it's illegal to molest a moose or push a moose out of a plane.

Kirobaito
05-08-2004, 12:18 AM
For you international people, you're not exempt from dumb laws, either.

United Kingdom
- With the exception of carrots, most goods may not be sold on Sunday.
- All English males over the age 14 are to carry out 2 or so hours of longbow practice each week, supervised by the local clergy.
- London Hackney Carriages (taxis/cabs) must carry a bale of hay and a sack of oats. (Repealed 1976)
- It is illegal to be drunk on Licensed Premises (in a pub or bar).
- It is illegal for two adult men to have sex in the same house as a third person.
- Any person found breaking a boiled egg at the sharp end will be sentenced to 24 hours in the village stocks
- It is illegal to stand within one hundred yards of the reigning monarch when not wearing socks
- Chelsea Pensioners may not be impersonated.
- A bed may not be hung out of a window.
- It is illegal for a lady to eat chocolates on a public conveyance.
- Any boy under the age of 10 may not see a naked manequin.
- It is illegal to leave baggage unattended.
- Picking up abandoned baggage is an act of terrorism.
- Those wishing to purchase a television must also buy a license.
- It is illegal for a Member of Parliament to enter the House of Commons wearing a full suit of armour.
- Destroying or defacing money is illegal.
- If a steam locomotive is driven on roads, a man must walk in front of the vehicle with a red flag during the day and a red lantern at night to warn passersby.
- All steam locomotives are limited to 4mph on roads.
- Anal sex is prohibited.
- You may not make out in public.
- It is legal for a male to urinate in public, as long it is on the rear wheel of his motor vehicle and his right hand is on the vehicle.
- Committing suicide is classified as a capital crime.
- Interfering with the mail or sleeping with the consort of the Queen is classed as treason, and as such, carries a maximum penalty of death.
- Placing a postage stamp that bears the Queen (or King) upside down is considered treason.
- One may not "blemish the peace".
- A license is required to keep a lunatic.
- Damaging the grass is illegal.
- Jesuits, Seminary Priests and other suchlike disobedient Persons must be banished.
- Since 1313, MPs are not allowed to don armor in Parliament.

Australia
- Lawmakers are proposing a new law that will not allow anyone to come closer than 100 meters from a dead whale's carcass.
- A life sentence is 25 years.
- Children may not purchase cigarettes, but they may smoke them.
- You may never leave your car keys in an unattended vehicle.
- It is illegal to roam the streets wearing black clothes, felt shoes and black shoe polish on your face as these items are the tools of a cat burgular.
- It is illegal to walk on the right hand side of a footpath.
- Under Australian Communications Authority (ACA) regulations, a modem can't pick up on the first ring. If it does the, ACA permit for your modem is invalid and there's a $12,000 fine. -Telecommunications Act 1991.
- Taxi cabs are required to carry a bale of hay in the trunk.
- Bars are required to stable, water and feed the horses of their patrons.
- The legal age for straight sex is 16, unless the person is in the care/custody of the older person, in which case it is 18.

And to satisfy Mik, there are no weird Finnish laws, but here is Norway:

Norway
- You may not spay your female dog or cat. However, you may neuter the males of the species.
- Licenses must be bought in order to own television sets, and even VCRs.
- If your vehicle stalls and you leave it on the side of the road, you must mark the vehicle with a red, reflecting triangle. This equipment is only mandatory when the car stalls, not at any other times, however.
- A fee is levied on each purchaser of any plastic bottle which is returned upon return of the bottle.
- Beverages containing more than 4.75% alcohol may not be sold on election days.

Peegee
05-08-2004, 12:42 AM
Florida: - When having sex, only the missionary position is legal.

I'm so insulted by this law :aimmad:

Lord Xehanort
05-08-2004, 12:43 AM
Michigan

That was repealed 2 or 3 years ago.

Here's some that are in existence:

Kalamazoo, MI
-It is legal for a farmer to sleep with all of his animals.

Burton, MI (my hometown)
-Discrimination based on sexual orientation is legal.

All of Michigan
-The floors of all adult video and book stores must be made of a hard, nonabsorbent material.

EDIT: What's the 'missionary position'? I thought missionaries were forbidden to have sex.

Del Murder
05-08-2004, 05:45 AM
I think it would be better if people in Florida just didn't have sex in the first place.

The Captain
05-08-2004, 05:47 AM
Agreed, less heart attacks in the elderly community.

Take care all.

Peegee
05-08-2004, 05:54 AM
DEAR HEAVEN. You people have ruined my perceptual skills for good. Thanks a lot.

Big D
05-08-2004, 06:38 AM
These laws weren't "made" specifically, as such. I mea, the state legislature didn't get together and say, "hey, let's pass an enactment banning people from giving alcohol to fish!".

Rather, these sorts of things are common law decisions - a judge decides a court case on a particular matter, and the "rule" s/he makes applies to those particular facts.

For example, in Donghue v Stevenson, the case in my profile, it was held that ginger-beer manufacturers have a duty to make sure that dead snails don't wind up in their bottles, even if the ginger beer is ultimately drunk by someone other than the person who bought it - i.e. someone with no contracual relationship to the company.

However, the actual <i>ratio decidendi</i>, or rule of law, is that manufacturers owe a duty of care to those who ultimately make use of their product.

Every decision would seem weird if you just looked at it in light of its material facts.

- It is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle. The guy would've been charged with dangerous driving, or something similar, after being caught wearing a blindfold behind the wheel. The prosecution was able to prove, in court, that such an act constitutes "dangerous driving" under the law, so he was prosecuted.

It is illegal to wear a fake mustache that causes laughter in church.Probably a "public nuisance" decision or something, from the old days. Decisions like that are less likely to be followed in this day and age, but until a judge has occasion to overrule or ignore them, they technically remain "the law".

Giggles
05-08-2004, 06:54 AM
Having sexual relations with a porcupine is illegal.

Oh Dear God. They've found me out.

Rainecloud
05-08-2004, 07:06 AM
Some of my favourites. I know some of them have already been mentioned, but well...

Ireland:
- It is illegal for a student to walk through Trinity College without a sword.
- In Trinity college, students can demand a glass of wine at any time during an exam, provided they have their sword.

England:
- A Chelsea Pensioner may not be impersonated.
- Any boy under the age of 10 may not see a naked mannequin.
- It is legal for a male to urinate in public, as long it is on the rear wheel of his motor vehicle and his right hand is on the vehicle.
- Mince pies are not to be eaten on Christmas Day.
- A bed may not be hung out of a window.

And the rest:
- In Liverpool, it is illegal for a woman to be topless in public - except as a clerk in a tropical fish store, or in a bank if handling foreign currency.
- In Scotland, it is illegal to be a drunk in possession of a cow.
- Also in Scotland, it is perfectly legal to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow (except on Sundays). *

* Which begs the question, it someone did indeed shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow (in a pre-meditated attack), would they be arrested and charged for it? After all, these laws do still apply.

Big D
05-08-2004, 09:38 AM
Which begs the question, it someone did indeed shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow (in a pre-meditated attack), would they be arrested and charged for it? After all, these laws do still apply.The current Crimes Act (or whatever) supercedes any old common-law decision. Every time a new law's made, it erases any inconsistent law from an earlier time, except Supreme Law stuff like, say, the US Constitution.

Maxico
05-08-2004, 10:21 AM
- Those wishing to purchase a television must also buy a license.

Yes unfortunatly, although this only accounts for two television stations (you can see the studio from my window). And this is to fund them as they pride themselfs of not having any adverts. So if you prove that you do not receive these stations Im not sure if they can charge you.

IlGreven
05-08-2004, 11:14 AM
Michigan

That was repealed 2 or 3 years ago.

As a direct result of it being applied in a strict sense, against a canoer who was swearing in a river, a good 1000 feet from a picnicking family...

All of Michigan
-The floors of all adult video and book stores must be made of a hard, nonabsorbent material.

This one actually seems quite plausible. Y'know, it's easier to clean up messes...

Psychotic
05-08-2004, 03:00 PM
- All English males over the age 14 are to carry out 2 or so hours of longbow practice each week, supervised by the local clergy.
- It is illegal to be drunk on Licensed Premises (in a pub or bar).
- Any person found breaking a boiled egg at the sharp end will be sentenced to 24 hours in the village stocks
- Placing a postage stamp that bears the Queen (or King) upside down is considered treason.

Oh man, I'm public enemy #1. Haha, I'M A CHELSEA PENSIONER! Oh noe, I broke another law :p

DMKA
05-08-2004, 04:48 PM
Arkansas - A man may beat his wife, but no more than twice a month.

Thats a true law that still applies today.

zacks_clone
05-08-2004, 05:06 PM
Im quite happy that Maine doesnt have any of these bizzar laws...it may explain why we're all so loony though o.O

Dragonflame
05-08-2004, 05:12 PM

Since when do eggs have a sharp end? I was under the impression they were round.

Rusty
05-08-2004, 05:15 PM
America have some really strange laws.......

Dragonflame
05-08-2004, 05:16 PM
Yes, and we're proud of them.

Levian
05-08-2004, 05:22 PM
Norway
- You may not spay your female dog or cat. However, you may neuter the males of the species.

Hmm, not true. Both of them is allowed.

- A fee is levied on each purchaser of any plastic bottle which is returned upon return of the bottle.

That's actually not a stupid law, it's quite nice actually, since then there won't be bottles laying around in the streets everywhere. Bottles are worth about 10% of what they cost. Other countries should have this law to save themselves from some garbage too :p

Dragonflame
05-08-2004, 05:27 PM
You don't understand. Empty bottles lying in the street are a form of modern art. It's sure as hell better than what you'll see in a museum.

DMKA
05-08-2004, 06:51 PM
Yes, and we're proud of them.
Speak for yourself.

Shlup
05-09-2004, 01:20 AM
Just goes to show that rules are made to be broken.

Kirobaito
05-09-2004, 01:21 AM
Yes, such as the sixth one on the Florida list.

Moomba Misstress
05-09-2004, 10:45 PM
- It is illegal to wear a fake mustache that causes laughter in church. This makes me giggle. ^^ Man, I broke the law alot in MIchigan, I AM a woman and I swear ALOT. =O :moomba:

escobert
05-09-2004, 11:26 PM
Vermont:
In Vermont it is illegal for a woman to walk down the street on a sunday without her husband 20 ft behind her with a loaded riffle.
Lawmakers made it obligatory for everybody to take at least one bath each week-on Saturday night.
In Vermont, it is illegal to deny the existence of God.
It is illegal to whistle underwater.

Mikztsu
05-09-2004, 11:31 PM
That's actually not a stupid law, it's quite nice actually, since then there won't be bottles laying around in the streets everywhere. Bottles are worth about 10% of what they cost. Other countries should have this law to save themselves from some garbage too :p

We have this very same law in Finland, and I thought nearly every country has. And no, it's not weird at all. :)

escobert
05-09-2004, 11:39 PM
Yeah Vermont has a law thingy like that.

Iceglow
05-10-2004, 05:20 PM
hmm I think that the long withstanding law about welsh men is missing here. This law introduced in a war with the celts of Wales has never and I do mean Never been Repealed to my knowledge (we covered it as an active law in our law class this year and it hasn't changed yet) the wording is in latin but I will translate roughly to you the law:

Any Welsh man wearing a leek on his head may legally be shot with a bow and arrow from a church or indeed anywhere this side (english) or the other side of the border.

Right now where's the welsh village idiot with that leek strapped to his head I wanna shoot something with my mandatory archery lesson (also still not repealed).

Although the law exists I think if someone shot and killed a man under the law then the charge would be murder and the law would get repealed rather quickly, however you could still stand a chance of getting away with it. As for the archery lessons they are still meant to happen but what church has a hundred and thirty yards for archery practice and what priest would permit it in this soft day and age so the law is ignored and left at that although you can get some churches (in the country) that offer archery lessons.

Edit: Oh and as for austrailian law it is mostly based on English law them being the penal colony of England for well we never really gave it to them so for, forever. And a life sentence in the UK is also 25 years serving a minimum of 10 before Parole becomes available. To keep a person in prison they are classed as "detained at her majesties pleasure" under that rule only royal pardon can free a person and they come rarely.

Maxico
05-10-2004, 05:33 PM
Thats the one I mentioned but couldn't remember all of :( .

IlGreven
05-10-2004, 08:34 PM
Im quite happy that Maine doesnt have any of these bizzar laws...it may explain why we're all so loony though o.O

Maine
-- In Portland, it is illegal for men to tickle women under the chin with feather dusters.
-- The most money one can legally win gambling is three dollars.
-- It Rumford, it is illegal for a tenant to bite his/her landlord.
-- In Waterville, it is illegal to blow one's nose in public.

Hah!

Big D
05-10-2004, 11:36 PM
hmm I think that the long withstanding law about welsh men is missing here. This law introduced in a war with the celts of Wales has never and I do mean Never been Repealed to my knowledge (we covered it as an active law in our law class this year and it hasn't changed yet) the wording is in latin but I will translate roughly to you the law:

Any Welsh man wearing a leek on his head may legally be shot with a bow and arrow from a church or indeed anywhere this side (english) or the other side of the border.

Right now where's the welsh village idiot with that leek strapped to his head I wanna shoot something with my mandatory archery lesson (also still not repealed).

Although the law exists I think if someone shot and killed a man under the law then the charge would be murder and the law would get repealed rather quickly, however you could still stand a chance of getting away with it. As for the archery lessons they are still meant to happen but what church has a hundred and thirty yards for archery practice and what priest would permit it in this soft day and age so the law is ignored and left at that although you can get some churches (in the country) that offer archery lessons.That law is an old one, so it was impliedly repealed by the subsequent legislation prohibiting murder, i.e. the killing of another human being. Laws don't have to be expressly repealed; if a new law contradicts an old one, the old one is gone.
It Rumford, it is illegal for a tenant to bite his/her landlord.
It's illegal for anyone, anywhere to bite someone without their consent. It's called assault.:smash:

The Captain
05-11-2004, 01:55 AM
Yet, we're becoming such a litigious society, that soon we may need consent from our food before we chew.

Take care all.

Dragonflame
05-11-2004, 02:26 AM
It is illegal to whistle underwater.

Since when is that even possible?

escobert
05-11-2004, 02:32 AM
I dunno but it's against the law here.

Dragonflame
05-11-2004, 03:27 AM
Well, I'm glad to hear that your fine state is protecting the poor helpless water from people that want to... whistle in it?

escobert
05-11-2004, 03:27 AM
That's right you might contaminate it.

Dragonflame
05-11-2004, 03:32 AM
Yeah, that's right! Save the water!

Logan
05-11-2004, 03:37 AM
Animals are banned from mating publicly within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school, or place of worship.

Tch. Animals screw all the time at my school. Birds, squirrels. Butterflies and bees. =o

Ed, Edd n' Eddy
07-28-2004, 03:00 AM
are these laws really in effect?

Kirobaito
07-28-2004, 04:01 AM
Some of them are. Others aren't.

Freya
07-28-2004, 04:30 AM
there was one from louisiana- if you are skinny dipping with someone of the opposite gender, your clothes may not be on the same side of the river/pond/or lake.
and theres another but i cant member where from
-you may not swim on dry land. and its on a land locked state.

Yamaneko
07-28-2004, 04:54 AM
There's a law here that says not to revive dead topics. It's still in effect.