PDA

View Full Version : Gonzo Journalism

TheAbominatrix
05-08-2004, 01:14 PM
gon·zo ( P ) Pronunciation Key (gnz)
adj. Slang
Using an exaggerated, highly subjective style, especially in journalism: “a hyperkinetic, gonzo version of Graham Greene” (New Yorker).
Bizarre; unconventional.

So, is anyone else a Hunter S. Thompson fan? Ever since I was introduced to his work I've been in love with it, devouring every peice of writing I can find, not to mention the media aspects. The latest documentary on the man, Breakfast with Hunter, was amazing.

For those of you who don't know, Hunter has long been a well-known and unconventional journalist. He wrote for Rolling Stone for quite a while, and is most famous for the (mostly) true story, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, about the exploits of himself and then Chicano rights activist Oscar Acosta (R.I.P.) in Las Vegas. The book was made into a movie in 1995, starring Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Toro.

If you havent read anything of his yet, do so now. And right now, talk about this amazing man.

Strider
05-08-2004, 04:15 PM
I read a few of his columns on ESPN.com's Page 2 section, and it's quite interesting. To say the least. I can't say that I've read much past that, but I wouldn't mind gettin' my hands on some.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-08-2004, 05:02 PM
The book was made into a movie in 1995, starring Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Toro.Wasn't it '98?

Rainecloud
05-08-2004, 05:05 PM
This fellow sounds "Interesting", to say the least. I've never heard of him, though.

The Captain
05-08-2004, 05:48 PM
Brilliant man, and a hoot in real life. I saw him give a lecture in NYC a few years ago, and what struck me was how professional he actually was, despite the what would seem to be a loner/extreme mentality on writing.

Take care all.

TheAbominatrix
05-08-2004, 11:20 PM
Wasn't it '98?

That's certainly possible. It's stuck in my mind as 95, but it could have been 98. I get confused easily. In fact... yeah, it was probably 98.

Brilliant man, and a hoot in real life. I saw him give a lecture in NYC a few years ago, and what struck me was how professional he actually was, despite the what would seem to be a loner/extreme mentality on writing.

Take care all.

I am so insanely jealous. I'd love to see the man speak.

And Juan, grab any books by him that you can. I love his Hey, Rube! columns.

What I really love about Hunter is how he can make things I don't give a damn about interesting. I love political articles, but I hate sports... yet I'm just as interested in Hunter's articles about the super bowl as I am about the Nixon ones. I have a copy of The Great Shark Hunt, which is a collection of his various articles. Love it.