PDA

View Full Version : Special classes in school

Erdrick Holmes
05-11-2004, 02:19 PM
No, I don't mean special education classes for people with learning disablilities. I'm talking about when you were in school did you take some sort of class that was sorta advanced and not easy to get into?

About two years ago I took robotics, I got a B in that class. Funnest class I had ever taken. We made a few animatronic robots that we stuck little animal puppets onto, we made an animatronic monkey puppet, we made it's head move back and forth, stuck a piece of copper rod in it's hand and made him swing it like it was a musical conductor. We started making little mobile robots with wheels that move when activated, I still have my robot but I have to find a way to put a remote sensor on the breadboard. At the end of the year the class divided into 6 teams and we all made sumo wresting robots and made them compete, the robot my team built had a wooden body with a steel floor with the car battery mounted on it for power, we painted it pink for laughs and made it compete, when it was trying to push the other robot out of the ring it sorta looked like it was humping it.

The next year I took network administration and Windows 2000 certification. I having completed it yet but I'm studying at home to get my cert after I get out of high school

crono_logical
05-11-2004, 02:26 PM
I went to a few maths ones in several of my years at high school. Some were at another local high school, though two of them I went to were sort of boarding school-like in another town, a week each.

Erdrick Holmes
05-11-2004, 02:31 PM
What a shock. Arche never went :P once in this post.

metCloud
05-11-2004, 03:17 PM
When I was in 12th grade I took Buisnees Law and Buisness Managment...Anyone can get in but there were only about 8 people there and the teacher wasnt mean but had about the hardest class I ever took. I took it because I like learning about how buisness's work. (*evil voice-I will own a music shop some day Muahahaha) :D . Our school was very cheap so we didnt have cool robotics classes, im jealous. That class and Sociology gave me the most out of my highschool education. They were very difficult but the most fun to learn about.

crono_logical
05-11-2004, 03:22 PM
What a shock. Arche never went :P once in this post.Quiet, stay on topic :p

Flying Mullet
05-11-2004, 03:29 PM
What a shock. Arche never went :P once in this post.

I'm, I'm, I'm feeling faint...

It's not really an advanced class, but it was a unique class. I took scuba diving in college for one of my PE credits and it was a blast. I took all of the advanced/AP classes in high school too, but those aren't really advanced or special anymore.

Yamaneko
05-11-2004, 05:18 PM
AP for me too. I also took a computer repair class, which was devoted to playing Counter Strike during the semester.

Dr Unne
05-11-2004, 05:53 PM
AP European History, Honors English 9-11, AP English 12, AP Computer Science, CHS Calc 12 (College in High School). I can't remember if there were any others in HS. In college I took the only honors CS class they offered, which was a robotics class.

LH
05-11-2004, 06:05 PM
My school sucked, so the best they could give you is the option to take an 8th grade level class while in 7th, or an 11th grade level class while in 10th, and so on. I took them all one year ahead of time except for some of later math classes because I decided not to go to math anymore. :D

Kirobaito
05-11-2004, 06:50 PM
Let's see, I take all honors classes, but beyond that, I'm taking AP US History this year. Probably by the end of high school, I'll have taken the following:

AP US History
AP European History
AP Calculus
AP Statistics
AP English 4
AP English 5
AP Spanish 4
AP Government
AP Economics

There will probably be more, but that's all I plan on for now.

Peegee
05-11-2004, 07:03 PM
We had a 'streaming' style in high school. Meaning there were advanced, general, and basic level courses for every (major) class, like math, english, science....um...some other stuff I'm sure. I never took anything other than advanced.

When I was in my last year, they no longer had advanced stuff. It was just 'OAC (gr 13)' courses, but the young'ins had something that is probably the same as AP courses. And they still had the streaming style. So those people were just geeks :D

Strider
05-11-2004, 07:15 PM
AP Language and Composition
AP Statistics
AP Calculus AB
AP U.S. History
AP U.S. Government

What made some of 'em kinda cool was that I was in the class the first year they were offered, so the teachers -- more often than not -- didn't really know where to go, so we got a lot of free time. Good stuff.

War Angel
05-11-2004, 08:00 PM
Advanced World Domination class, at the Megalomaniacs' School.

Flying Mullet
05-11-2004, 08:01 PM
Advanced World Domination class, at the Megalomaniacs' School.
I hear that the fees for the supplies for that class are outrageous.

Peegee
05-11-2004, 08:04 PM
World domination at our stage of 'civilisation' is ludicrously expensive. Why, back in my day, all we needed was a few hundred thousand men and a pile of bow/arrows. All we had to do was cut down some woodland areas and we were set.

What's this? I need Plutonium? And technicians? And scienticians? To hell with this!

:o

bennator
05-11-2004, 08:52 PM
All the AP classes my school offers with the exception of French and Spanish. I'm planning on taking some sort of higher level science next year at a local university through PSEOP.

muchacho
05-12-2004, 12:19 AM
damn you guys are smart. im in learning stratigies :D. funnest class ever, all i do is sit around and talk with my friends and do some note cards every now and then. but next year im takeing guitar, that with be fun...... i hope

Rye
05-12-2004, 12:34 AM
I'm going into AP History and AP English next year. :)

golden_queen_mercury
05-12-2004, 12:38 AM
I'm in 8th grade right now. I have Freshman English with an A average. Physical Science with an A average. Algebra I with an A average. Literature and Drama with an A average. Phew...I am advanced with all of my classes. I couldn't take 9th grade Social Studies because they didn't have the class. But the 7th graders this year get to apply for it. No fair. I wish I was in 7th grade. Oh well...

Shlup
05-12-2004, 01:03 AM
I was a year ahead in math so I didn't have to take any my junior or senior year. I dropped all my other honors classes though 'cause I realized I didn't give a flying crap.

escobert
05-12-2004, 01:14 AM
I'm taking Advanced Human Anatomey and Physiology. Had to get a B- or higher in College Prep biology to get into it. And I'm taking astronomey.

War Angel
05-12-2004, 01:49 AM
Seriously now - I attend the National Defence College, where I study strategy, history, finance, and social studies... basically, everything that has to do with a country's well-being. Very, very interesting.

Del Murder
05-12-2004, 03:29 AM
I was in GATE in elementary school. One day a week we would go to another school and do fun stuff like make toothpick bridges and play checkers. It was sweet. In junior high the attraction wore off so I usually skipped class to hang out at Raileys and eat candy.

Yamaneko
05-12-2004, 03:35 AM
I was in GATE in elementary school. One day a week we would go to another school and do fun stuff like make toothpick bridges and play checkers.
We took a test where the instructions said do not answer any of the questions. Everyone went ahead and did the test anyway. GATE was cool though, because we got out of regular class for it.

Rase
05-12-2004, 03:45 AM
We took a test where the instructions said do not answer any of the questions. Everyone went ahead and did the test anyway. GATE was cool though, because we got out of regular class for it.

Yep, same here. That's about it.

fire_of_avalon
05-12-2004, 05:56 AM
I was always in the "smart"/"advanced"/whatever classes. And the AIG (Academically/Intellectually Gifted) program until forever.

crono_logical
05-12-2004, 06:57 AM
We took a test where the instructions said do not answer any of the questions. Everyone went ahead and did the test anyway. GATE was cool though, because we got out of regular class for it.If I was given such a test, I'd probably do them anyway but leave the answer sheet blank, seeing as there probably wouldn't be much else to do then :p

Mo-Nercy
05-12-2004, 09:10 AM
I take 'Introduction to Computer Hacking' and it deals with everything a basic hacker should know. All students are given an automatic 'F' and have to hack into the school computer and change the grade to an 'A' in order to pass.

Calliope
05-12-2004, 12:02 PM
Uh...Towns and G and I were in the top class in high school (ahahaha '3A BE QUIET THIS INSTANT! YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE THE BEST CLASS SO SHUT UP AND DO YOUR WORK!'), but outside of that did 'advanced' English, Art and something else I can't remember so probably can't be relevant or interesting in any way.

muchacho
05-13-2004, 02:27 AM
man, ive gotta be the dumbest guy at eoff. SCORE ONE FOR THE TARDS!!!!!!!!

Shoeberto
05-13-2004, 02:34 AM
Advanced Freshman Science. Two periods a day. The course combines physical science (regular-level Freshman science class) and biology (regular-level Sophomore science class) and it's been a challenge. Biology has, at least.