PDA

View Full Version : Most original game concepts

Xander
05-12-2004, 10:18 AM
What games do you think have the most original concepts, games that you can't really compare to any others.

I think Toejam and Earl on the Sega Megadrive is definately one of the most original. Two aliens who have to collect their ship pieces from Earth, have to find the pieces on the islands while collecting presents which have various things in to help them. When they find each ship piece they use a lift to go up to the next level, but if they fall off an island they end up on the level below again.

Sometimes a phone rings and if you find it it uncovers map pieces. If you get to close to a Hula girl, you start dancing the hula making you vulnerable to enemies, and if you get hit by Cupid's arrow your directions mess up. There's also a Santa which steals your presents and a secret island where you can drink lemonade and relax in a jacuzzi with some girls xD And if you leave the character too long they fall asleep and you have to hit buttons madly to wake them up again.

It rocks and I wouldn't really put it in a class with any other game.

Strider
05-12-2004, 10:36 AM
Earthworm Jim. 'Nuff said.

White Raven
05-12-2004, 01:38 PM
I really think that the Harvest Moon series is the most original out there. When the first one came out for SNES, the idea of being a farmer, doing RPG like tasks, and having a set time and calender was the only time we've seen that in a game (that I know of). Even today, I havn't seen an other HarvestMoon-type game out there, just more great Harvest Moon games for GC and GBA.

Levian
05-12-2004, 03:09 PM
Clock Tower.

In most horror games you are able to defend yourself with some machine gun or other guns, while this horror game is actually more realistic. You don't have anything to defend yourself with, but you can hide or use objects near you to stall the killer :p The killer is also masked and I like finding out the identity of killers :) Unique indeed.

Outsider
05-12-2004, 05:06 PM
Dungeon Keeper - You build a dungeon full of monsters in order to slay good heroes. You can't get much better than that.

Rampage - You assume control of a large beast (I always played with a gorilla), that for an unknown reason has to run around a city destroying buildings.

blue_midget192
05-12-2004, 05:32 PM
Dungeon Keeper - You build a dungeon full of monsters in order to slay good heroes. You can't get much better than that.

now that i agree with :) dugeon keeper was very original :) but DK 2 was much better!

Germ Hamee
05-12-2004, 06:24 PM
I really think that the Harvest Moon series is the most original out there. When the first one came out for SNES, the idea of being a farmer, doing RPG like tasks, and having a set time and calender was the only time we've seen that in a game (that I know of). Even today, I havn't seen an other HarvestMoon-type game out there, just more great Harvest Moon games for GC and GBA.

Agreed. There's a few other games I'm thinking of that were pretty original, but I think the farming game takes the cake.

Sim City and The Sims deserve mention as well.

Kirobaito
05-12-2004, 06:49 PM
I'd say DDR. I mean, it's a game...that you DANCE to. WTF?

Rainecloud
05-12-2004, 07:34 PM
Blast Corps. :D

Yrkoon
05-12-2004, 07:43 PM
Nights in to dreams (sega saturn)

Maxico
05-12-2004, 08:16 PM
Parapper the rapper.

Lindy
05-12-2004, 08:23 PM
Metal Gear.

I mean, omg? A sneaking game? That won't work.

But it did, oh so well. And the MSX version was better than the NES version.

The world's only Tactial Espionage Action game series, of course it's original, it invented it's own genre.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-12-2004, 11:07 PM
Dynamite Headdy and Mischief Makers. Shake, shake!

Shoeberto
05-12-2004, 11:15 PM
Wario Ware

DocFrance
05-12-2004, 11:25 PM
X-COM: UFO Defense

Agent Proto
05-12-2004, 11:30 PM
I personally think Ape Escape was one of the most original games to come out for the PSX. It uses both analog controls to play, and the object of the game is to capture monkeys. Great stuff! :D

ZeZipster
05-12-2004, 11:35 PM
DANCE DANCE REVOLUTION!

Yeah, man, it's the only game that makes me actually break a sweat.

escobert
05-12-2004, 11:38 PM
Animal Crossing.

Erdrick Holmes
05-12-2004, 11:39 PM
DANCE DANCE REVOLUTION!

Yeah, man, it's the only game that makes me actually break a sweat.

I got kicked out of an arcade for breaking that game once.

I found that the Parry and Superart system of Street Fighter 3 2nd Impact to be effeiciant.

Del Murder
05-13-2004, 01:37 AM
Burger Time.

Calliope
05-13-2004, 02:47 AM
BOOM BOOM SHAKA! BOOM BOOM CLAP!

Dammit Xan now I want a megadrive.

Maxico
05-13-2004, 05:46 PM
A game came out recently in japan called katamari damashii. You play as a small stick ball that rolls around increasing in mass untill its big enough to stick such objects to itself as scyscrapers, oil liners and giant squid.

Lindy
05-13-2004, 06:14 PM
Dynamite Headdy and Mischief Makers. Shake, shake!
Headdy was IMPOSSIBLE, or at least approaching such, but I do think the general fact that he attacked with his exploding head, which could be interchanged for more and varied destructive items is far outweighed by that fact that to get to the second level he's sucked through an incredibly small hole. Classy.

Also, Mischief Makers was the original game I wanted an N64 for, but I never actually got it in the end. Shame.

Vaan
05-24-2004, 09:22 AM
Legend of Zelda. You play as a hero that must save a princess from an evil bad guy. All right all right I'll get serious...let's see...

Aha! EarthBound. If that doesn't fit the ticket, I don't know what does.

Cz
05-24-2004, 05:19 PM
Vib Ribbon, and the more recent Mojib Ribbon. Both simple rhythm games at heart, but with such clever ideas implemented so well. Plus, 'Vib' was only Ł10.

Shoyku
05-24-2004, 05:22 PM
Rez.

The Captain
05-24-2004, 06:09 PM
Pong and Pacman, the games that started it all....

Also, the old, old, old game for the original Nintendo, I believe it was called, "Track and Field" or something to that degree, where you had to run on a floor pad and race people, or could jump hurdles.

Take care all.

Vaan
05-25-2004, 04:03 AM
Is 'Take care all' like your sig or something, or do you actually bother to type it out for every post? Just curious.

The Captain
05-25-2004, 08:20 AM
Well, I wouldn't say I 'bother" to type it, since it's not really a bother; but yes, I do type it at the end of each entry in hopes that anyone who reads it will in fact have a good day/night and the like. I figure we all deserve at the very least, a little exchange of pleasantries.

Take care all.

Vaan
05-25-2004, 07:42 PM
Makes sense.

Breine
05-25-2004, 09:44 PM
Rez, without any doubts.