PDA

View Full Version : Meanings of names

Rusty
05-12-2004, 03:00 PM
Hey all! I was wondering if anyone new the meaning to some names from FF8!

Like Selphie, Zell, Irvine, Quistis, Seifer and Rinoa. I already no what Squalls means, but can you help me out with the others?
Rusty

ShivaBlizzard8
05-12-2004, 04:50 PM
I think a lot of the names are made up, without any real meaning, but some do have a backstory or are found in real life (i.e. there is an Irvine, California).
To get lots of info on all the characters, including name meanings, check out character shrines - web pages built by fans. Many are quite in-depth. For instance, Rebelling Princess, the biggest Rinoa shrine probably ever, talks about her name quite a bit:

The name, in English spelling, 'Rinoa' was made up by Kazushige Nojima, if I remember right, he's the Scenerio Director. He then created and used the best fit in katakana, that's all there is to it. No deep meanings or origins. It was simply made to be unique.
Some have mentioned the early and extremely bad mistranslation 'Lenore' (Edgar Allen Poe reference) floating around, but it was speculation made before any official FF8 romanized information was available. When information about any FF game is first released, the character names are only shown in katakana. . .
To read more about her name, and the names of her parents, check out their site here: http://rinoa.nu/rinoa/

This Quistis site goes into her name quite a bit: http://kalyka.net/quistis/

As does this Ellone site: http://marvolo.org/ellone/indexx.html

And Laguna: http://farplane.org/laguna/

Ect, ect. You get the idea. There is a great listing of shrines for all FF characters here: http://www.hollowmind.net/shrines/ Search through them and find our what others think, and make your own speculations. Unlike Squall, most don't have definitive answers. :)

Kirobaito
05-12-2004, 06:53 PM
Squall is named that way because we all want him to die in one. :)

Flying Mullet
05-12-2004, 07:03 PM
Agreed. I prefer to think of "Squall" as "Squash".

queen of the jungle
05-12-2004, 07:16 PM
doesn't squall mean "storm"?

Flying Mullet
05-12-2004, 07:31 PM
Yep.

Rusty
05-13-2004, 04:00 AM
No Squall means "rain on a lagoon" .

DocFrance
05-13-2004, 05:22 AM
No Squall means "rain on a lagoon" .
Wrong.

squall ( P ) Pronunciation Key (skwôl)
n.
A brief sudden violent windstorm, often accompanied by rain or snow.
Informal. A brief commotion.

intr.v. squalled, squall·ing, squalls
To blow strongly for a brief period.

TheAbominatrix
05-13-2004, 05:53 AM
I remember reading, before VIII came out, that Laguna was named after Laguna beach, California. Which is my favorite place so it made me happy. Of course I'm sure that's explained in ShivaBlizzard8's links.

Rusty
05-13-2004, 08:40 AM
I'm right docfrance :P why in the world would they name squall after a windstorm :P

Mo-Nercy
05-13-2004, 09:24 AM
I'm right docfrance :P why in the world would they name squall after a windstorm :P
Why not? Anyway, DocFrance said a squall is a violent storm, not that Squall was named after one. You say it means 'rain on a lagoon' which doesn't make much sense. I can see why you would think it does though (Raine on a Laguna...which is sexual and dirty if you REALLY think about)

Also, Seifer is derived from the word Cipher which means:
1. the arithmetical symbol for nought, or no quantity or magnitude
2. a person or thing of no value or importance
3. a secret (method of) writing; code

TheAbominatrix
05-13-2004, 01:08 PM
Yeah, DocFrance. How could you even think the dictionary would be correct? [/sarcasm]

Anyway, Squall is a warrior. A squall is a fierce storm. Seems pretty fitting to me. Certianly more fitting than naming a big beefy hero after a fluffy white cloud.

Rusty
05-13-2004, 01:17 PM
Ok ok! Think what you want! I just want to wanted to no the meanings of names :P Anyways..I wasn't thinking about it in that way.....I found that out, and it doesnt have to be dirty.. can't belivev you'd think that way...

and the dictionary doesnt have to be write :P we're talking about names, not the dictionarys descrisption of what squall means in a weather term :P

TheAbominatrix
05-13-2004, 01:24 PM
... The dictionary doesnt have to be right? What? The dictionary is the official definition of all words in the English language. And Squall's name comes from the weather term. That's what it means. If you name a kid Flower, flower still has the same definition. The definition doesnt change because you give the name to someone, they're still named after a plant. It doesnt become something different.

Flying Mullet
05-13-2004, 02:23 PM
Yes, Square specifically stated that they named Squall after the definition of a squall because of the coming violent and turbulent storm that is the story of FFVIII.

DocFrance
05-13-2004, 02:29 PM
Well, I would argue that Squall was named after a wind storm because he really blows :p

Flying Mullet
05-13-2004, 02:43 PM
I'll agree with you there. :)

Whether or not the story meets Square's claim is another discussion entierly, but that was Square's reasoning for naming him Squall.

Lanceph
05-14-2004, 04:16 AM
Squall sounds like the name of an oddly mishapen bird...

Rusty
05-14-2004, 05:32 AM
:P Alright! Backt ot he subject, does anyone no the meanings to the names I listed?
Enough about squall..I want to the the other peoples meanings!

TheAbominatrix
05-14-2004, 12:20 PM
Try reading ShivaBlizzard8's post. She more than answered your question.

Rusty
05-14-2004, 01:53 PM
I thank you shiva for your input in this post..but the only reason I put a post here is to find out what people new about the meanings of names etc.
Its supposed to be a discussion...why is it this is the only forum where you cannot have fun discussing things :)

TheAbominatrix
05-14-2004, 02:02 PM
Well she gave you all the meanings of the names, and there's not really more to say about them. You asked for the meanings, you got em.

Rusty
05-14-2004, 02:08 PM
She gave me sites where I could find em...oh this will go on forever. End of discussion till I make a new one :D

Flying Mullet
05-14-2004, 02:09 PM
Yeah. The whole point of your thread is to find out the meaning the name sof a bunch of FFVIII characters. You got those answers. And since the main purpose of this thread has been completed don't complain that it moves into other areas.

People aren't going to sit here and talk about the same thing (what their names mean) over and over again if it's all already been answered.

Flying Mullet
05-14-2004, 02:14 PM
Fair enough, but don't tell people to relax when you're the one feeding the fire and getting mad at people. We're simply telling you why your thread is behaving the way it is.

Rusty
05-14-2004, 02:19 PM
I was having fun :P Ever since I made this thread I have been smiling :P Alright peoples! Refer to my thread stating..discussion over till I make a new one :D