PDA

View Full Version : Keep or let go?

Jolts
05-12-2004, 06:16 PM
Who do you generally get rid of, excluding the "commoners." I, personally, try to keep all the "special" characters. I don't know why, but I just have to keep the "one of a kind"s. This does pose a problem when trying to breed monsters though, since there's a total of 16 "special"s (including the three you get at the beginning of chapter 2 (Rad, Alicia, and Lavian, I think their names are), Boco, and Byblos), and you can only have 16 units.

I always get rid of the first group you start out with when I get enough "special"s to fill a 5 party team.

Flying Mullet
05-12-2004, 06:22 PM
When I start the game I keep four "commoners" for my main party and dump everyone else. Then I keep any special characters that I pick up along the way. I also keep monster(s) if I am mining their offspring for items from poaching.

BG-57
05-12-2004, 11:18 PM
I usually dump Alicia, Lavian, Rad, and Boco. They have no unique abilities you can always get replacements later and give them the same names. That gives me enough space to breed monsters as necessary.

Lachlan
05-13-2004, 01:06 AM
yeah when I get maybe 1/2 way threw chapter 4 all the generic characters become useless. But Rafa and Malak start off that way :p
Anyway, the 3 or 4 generics you get at the begining of chapter 2 I accept, strip of weapons/armon and dismis. Usually you need a little bit of cash early on and thats a good way to get some. LOL

Del Murder
05-13-2004, 02:26 AM
I keep 3 generic characters around, along with the story characters that have unique classes. I don't ever get deep enough to get Byblos so that leaves two sopts open for monster breeding. :thumb:

Outsider
05-13-2004, 05:17 AM
I keep all the initial generic characters (I need all of them).

I don't breed monsters, so it gives me enough space to keep all special/secret characters besides Rafa and Malak (I don't like their special powers).

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-13-2004, 05:45 AM
I keep all special powers, 3 generics for quest purposes (I end up dismissing one of the ones in my intial party), Byblos and some Red Chocobos that I never use.

Outsider
05-13-2004, 06:07 AM
Byblos is one of the strongest characters in the game. Difference is sooooo cool.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-13-2004, 03:53 PM
I might end up using Byblos this time around, I'm considering using either him or Mustadio, I'm not sure which I'll pick.

Lachlan
05-14-2004, 02:11 AM
bylobs is the only character I have never gotten. Is he worth getting? Guess I will find out cause I am determined to get him this time.

Outsider
05-14-2004, 03:11 AM
Byblos is very strong. He can deal 999 damage against Elidibs (Difference)

And in the last battle Byblos (Difference) and Cloud (Climhazzard) can finish the last boss in a few turns.

Jolts
05-14-2004, 08:05 AM
You know, Beowulf has a move called "Shock!" which does the same thing difference does (I think). If Difference is the one that does damage according to the enemy's HP, then nevermind. Either way, though, they both rock :D.

Outsider
05-14-2004, 08:48 AM
Difference does damage according to the enemies' total MP. That's why it's so great against bosses.

GhostGoose
05-14-2004, 12:03 PM
When I start new games, I always keep 4 "commoners" depending on their brave/faith, I like to keep 2 commoners with high brave and 2 with high faith. Then I keep all special characters simply because I think they're cool and some of them in order to get other characters, like mustadio for cloud and worker8

Lamia
05-15-2004, 02:10 AM
I preferred the commoners over the special characters, actually...

I use all generic characters and Ramza for the most part.

Felldoh
05-15-2004, 07:47 PM
I always dismiss my beginning generics, Rad, Alicia, Lavian, and Boco. I keep everyone else though, poaching would suck too much otherwise.

Dignified Pauper
05-15-2004, 09:26 PM
I dismiss my regular beginners from the get-go and get 5 brand new soldiers. Then when i get to where I can get the story-line characters, I keep them until I get Cloud. then I start killing off the useless ones, including Cid, lets face it, he makes the game way to easy, and he's way too old to be fighting anyways. I usually end up killing Agrias and Mustadio just because they annoy me. I keep Rafa and Malak just for truth and untruth. Cloud i have for his awesome attacks, even though they take forever to charge under normal conditions. Reis and Beowulf I don't use much, but generally keep. And byblos is a definite keeper, he friggin rocks, especially if you use the Monster Talk skill he has.

Lachlan
05-15-2004, 10:13 PM
wow, agrias and mustadio can kick the friggin sh!t outa Rafa and Malak. They are even more useless than the commoners. Truth and Untruth are decent abilities, IF THEY EVER HIT. Which they rarely do. Agrias with lightning stab and mustadio's snipe abilities are definitly goot aditions.

Dignified Pauper
05-16-2004, 01:26 PM
Obviously, you have never outfitted Malak and Rafa correctly, they are amazing! I can kill the final boss with just those two. Agrias is just annoying, i can't stand her, i'd rather have had Gafgarion. Mustadio is worthless after you get cloud, i never used his snipe abilities anyways, I never saw much of a point for them. Besides, I like making their brave story say they died somewhere, it makes for dramatic affect.

unknown88
05-17-2004, 10:02 PM
I ussually dismiss Meliadul because shes too situational and Orlandu does what she does best. I keep everyone else because they have their utilities (Mustadio's gun and high speed makes him a good chemist). Normal additions aren't welcome and I got 13 spots, used in a Behemoth, a Hydra and a Tyamat :d

Tatics Master
05-19-2004, 02:08 AM
I keep Rad and the 2 lady knights that you get because I don't have time to train a squire from level 1.It slows ya down. Just keep all 3 and then get a squire and train him with them and they share jp. Its easier that way and I usually make Rad an Oracle and the Knights,I make one a Monk,and the other into what I need.Or I just train her in all jobs.
I throw away Boco because he's full of crap after a couple of battles so after he lays an egg and I get a black or red one he's oven roasted choco for the team to eat. Then I get all the storyline people and keep Byblos for a second and throw him away(I can't really find a use for him other than poach) and I keep a vampire at all times.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-19-2004, 04:20 PM
Obviously, you have never outfitted Malak and Rafa correctly, they are amazing! I can kill the final boss with just those two.

How do you make those two good? I have nver seen anyone use them effectively.

Jolts
05-19-2004, 04:53 PM
I tend to have bad luck with using their skills. They're supposed to hit up to 6 times in a random spot (of the five affected tiles). With me, I usually get 4-6, and they hardly ever hit anyone.

The Captain
05-19-2004, 07:22 PM
Since I'm a little insane, I like to keep half of my 16, as common characters, who I train and build up so that they're usable all throughout the game, plus I can get extra JP sending them away on Jobs.

The other spots I fill with characters who I think can serve true and unique purposes in the game: Mustadio, Orlandu, Agrias, the brother and sister mages Malak and Rafa, Beowulf, Cloud, and a Chocobo to ride like a steed.

cheer
05-21-2004, 02:17 PM
hahaha me i keep ramza (woot! i ddnt kno that), like four of the "commoners" (ü) - a dancer, a guy knight, a guy summoner aand a guy back-up monk. the knight and back-up monk used to be back-up for ramza before ppl like meliadoul and orlandu and beowulf came along, then now they're just there for old times' sake. =D the dancer and summoner sometimes get out of the house more and have fun leveling-up, just for kicks=D, cuz they're interesting Ivalicians. Then hmm that's 5 olredy, i keep 2-3 chocobos, one yellow (Boco, just can't let him go -hey that rhymes) , a red and black when my poor sprites get really pissed.=D among the special ones i keep agrias, meliadoul, beowulf and orlandu, cuz i use them all with ramza, i also keep cloud cuz i have to get that quest's worth!=D haha kidding..ditto for reis. mustadio was also there because he's kewl and he gets out every so often. everyone else like malak and rafa, i forgot where i put them but i think i kept them along tho they just stood pretty there =D

Tidus StarWind
05-27-2004, 05:09 AM
I like the keep the "Special" people but I like to have a couple of people to go and do the jobs and find the lost lands and get the treasures or whatever they call it on here..it's been so long since i've played..

Brownjames07
05-31-2004, 04:29 AM
I keep the special characters because I think that they are cool. I don't use them though. I love the commoners, because they change their clothes. If you ask me, they can become better then any other special class. But that's just my personal opinion.

Edgar
06-01-2004, 05:31 PM
OR-LAN-DU!!!

Get outta my party!