PDA

View Full Version : Luck or fate?

Dingo Jellybean
05-13-2004, 04:06 AM
Believe in luck? Fate?

Personally, I'm in between both. Although yes, I am an atheist, I'm torn between picking the two. Like winning the lottery, we talk about that being luck. While some who win thinks they were destined to win it.

I hate to believe in fate because I feel everyone should be able to control their own lives, but for some who try to control their own lives I feel should deserve a little luck. Luck and fate are just one of those abstract things...you always wonder, but you never truly know. And I mean NEVER TRULY KNOW. I don't care who you are or how religious you are, no one I mean NO ONE can tell the difference between fate and luck. We can take an attempted guess, but we'll never know for sure.

We say that those with degrees earn 1 mil more than those with high school degrees. Yet there are a few with high school diplomas that earn millions upon millions, and those with degrees sometimes never pan out to much in life. Either it was just by chance that the person wasn't meant to succeed or s/he was never meant to succeed because it was pre-determined.

I mean we believe the saying "What comes around goes around", but is that really true? I'm sure there are tons of murderers who end up dying naturally long after they enjoyed a luxurious life. Then there are humantitarians who have their houses blown away by hurricanes. Do bad and good people ever truly get what they deserve? Or is deserve also another abstract term? It's tough to say. I mean part of me wishes that someone I like, I'm destined to be with...while sometimes I don't study hard and hope I luck out on the exam and get a good grade.

But eh...I'm just in between.

Jebus
05-13-2004, 04:13 AM
I guess it would be a little of both. I believe in karma. Both the cosmic and instant kind. So its a kind of in between state.

Peegee
05-13-2004, 04:21 AM
Luck is silly. Yes if you buy a lottery ticket you are just 'guessing', but if you win it's not luck, it's a bunch of variables working to your favour (is that luck btw?). I tend to see luck as something that you attribute because of your ignorance of what is going on (ie: finding money on the ground...you didn't actively seek it, but it was bound to come up in front of you, or whatever).

Fate is...it's an idea that (like God's omniscience) challenges free will. I'm not getting into that.

And I'm not even going to start with karma :D

HOOTERS
05-13-2004, 04:26 AM
I believe in Karma. And Kramer. And Karamel spelt with a K.

:smash:

Strider
05-13-2004, 05:02 AM
Yes and yes. I've always believed in luck, and a convert as far as fate in the past few years.

Yamaneko
05-13-2004, 05:07 AM
I believe in the distant luck of fate.

Calliope
05-13-2004, 09:12 AM
Yeah love is your faith, yeah death is your fate!

Peegee
05-13-2004, 09:13 AM
Speak for yourself; I'm immortal.

Polaris
05-13-2004, 03:01 PM
Both, I'm budist I must believe in fate.
I don't have luck so for me that word doesn't exist!

Del Murder
05-14-2004, 02:29 AM
Luck is one of the few intangible things I believe in.

I don't worry about fate. If it exists there's nothing we can do about it, and if it doesn't there's no reason to think about it.

zendust1
05-14-2004, 03:51 AM
I don't believe in luck, or in fate for that matter. I believe that we have complete control over our lives and that every action we partake in starts a chain reaction of many different effects that at the end come back to you and affect you in some "lucky" or "unlucky" way, depends on what kind of action you did.

So for example (very basic example) if you open a door for someone today (good action) then, in a different place/same place/etc (doesn't matter), you will find a $5 buck in the ground.

Again, that was a very simple example, but I think it sums up what I wanted to say.

Ouch!
05-14-2004, 04:24 AM
I think Del has made one of the most sensible things I have ever heard.

Luck exists in the sense of the world. I don't believe any one has luck or doesn't. I believe people get lucky occassionally during their lives, some more than others.

Fate, however, is a bogus idea as far as I'm concerned. But like Del said, if it's their or not, it doesn't matter.