PDA

View Full Version : Online shopping with a debt card

Erdrick Holmes
05-14-2004, 02:19 PM
I'm getting a debt card sometime today (I think) and I wonder if there are any places online where I can buy games and stuff with a Debt card. Any idea?

Agent Proto
05-14-2004, 03:12 PM
I have a debit card... more like an ATM card and I can't really use it online, myself.

However, if your debit card has an expiration date, and have one of those 3 or 4 digit numbers on the back, then I'd say you can use it as a credit card.

Edit: You should also ask for some checks, as there are sites that give you the option by paying by checks online.

m4tt
05-14-2004, 03:43 PM
I think you can use paypal with debit cards..

Leeza
05-14-2004, 04:08 PM
I've never heard of being able to use a Debit Card online before, but maybe through PayPal like Gau said.

TheAbominatrix
05-14-2004, 04:11 PM
When I had my debit card I used it everywhere... animenation, gamestop, all kinds of places online and I never had a problem.

Agent Proto
05-14-2004, 04:12 PM
When I had my debit card I used it everywhere... animenation, gamestop, all kinds of places online and I never had a problem.

Can you tell me how? I've never quite figured it out. :cry:

Erdrick Holmes
05-14-2004, 04:16 PM
Hmm I might go with the Paypal option here, but Ashley, please show me how to buy stuff with my debit card.

metCloud
05-14-2004, 04:16 PM
Yes...I have a Visa debit card through my bank...I order from Gamestop, EbGames, TowerHobbies, musicians friend, Ebay...anything paypal.....Works perfectly. I wasnt sure either when I first got mine but I just tried and it worked, now I use it all the time.

Joel its just like a normal credit card but it takes money straight from your checking account.

TheAbominatrix
05-14-2004, 04:17 PM
From what I remember (it's been a while) all I had to do was, when it had the drop down box of 'select payment method', I just had to select 'debit card'. I think that's all there was to it. I'd look right now but I have a torrent on and I'm lagging like crap.

frr_vegeta
05-14-2004, 05:34 PM
Paypal > Debit :D But yeah, most sites accept some form of debit payment. And many others count it as a credit card.

Rainecloud
05-14-2004, 06:03 PM
The only website that doesn't accept my card is LiveJournal. :(

You should be okay with everything else.

Zell's Fists of Fury
05-14-2004, 07:42 PM
Just charge it. It'll take a couple days to come out of your account but it'll still do it.

Shlup
05-14-2004, 09:28 PM
You can use your debit card for most sites, but its not recommended. A debit card is a lot easier to steal because if someone gets ahold of the number and makes charges the money is automatically withdrawn from your account and you can't dispute it like you can with a credit card.

Even when I had a debit card I used my mom's credit card online until I got my own.

RSL
05-14-2004, 11:32 PM
I use my debit card all the time online. I bought this computer with my debit card online.

I suppose maybe there are different types of debit cards. Mine is also a mastercard and can be used as a credit card if I wish, but I never do that.

Leeza
05-15-2004, 02:21 AM
I have no problems with using my credit card online, but I don't think that I would ever use a debit card because, like Shlup said, it's straight cash that's gone if someone gets your numbers.

Erdrick Holmes
05-15-2004, 07:22 PM
Hmm, see the reason why is because I don't wanna get a credit card, ever. My Econ teacher says that there are so many risks with a credit card, you miss a payment even by a few days the repot men come by and punch you in the stomach and take your stuff when you're passed out. Also if you get your credit card stolen, people can just buy stuff to their hearts content and when the bill gets to you, you then realize you can't pay for the 45,000 dollar car with the 500,000 dollar engine that <i>you</i> bought online then you get arrested for not being able to pay for the stuff.

metCloud
05-15-2004, 07:31 PM
Hmm, see the reason why is because I don't wanna get a credit card, ever. My Econ teacher says that there are so many risks with a credit card, you miss a payment even by a few days the repot men come by and punch you in the stomach and take your stuff when you're passed out. Also if you get your credit card stolen, people can just buy stuff to their hearts content and when the bill gets to you, you then realize you can't pay for the 45,000 dollar car with the 500,000 dollar engine that <i>you</i> bought online then you get arrested for not being able to pay for the stuff.

You should really get a credit card anyway...just be carefull. You need to start building your credit because in the future good credit helps you alot. Banks will be more easy on getting you loans for cars, a house and such. Just dont go nuts with a card :D

Mr. Graves
05-15-2004, 10:52 PM
I don't buy stuff on-line very often at all, and I don't think I will anytime soon, as I'm having to save money for college and things.

What I have bought, though, was J-pop CDs (Namely from Ayu and Maaya Sakamoto), books that are hard to find anywhere off-line, and Softcore pr0n movie files. That about covers it.

Personally, I'd rather make my purchases off-line.

Skogs
05-15-2004, 10:58 PM
Personally, I'd rather make my purchases off-line.

*nods* But not always possible. In England, now, many sites are startin to accept 'Solo', which means I can order stuff online. Which may end up not being a very good thing...

Doomgaze
05-16-2004, 06:16 AM
You shouldn't use your debit card online - you're liable for the entire balance of your account. Most credit cards you're only liable for $50.

"My Econ teacher says that there are so many risks with a credit card,"

if you're stupid, which most people are.

Anyway, I'm not sure about actual DEBIT cards, but you can use check cards anywhere.