PDA

View Full Version : Repairing a scrathced CD

Erdrick Holmes
05-15-2004, 04:32 PM
The disc 1 of my Metal Gear Solid game for PSX is all scratched and gameplay freezes on the part after The DARPA chief has that heart attack and dies is there anything I can do to repair it?

Shoeberto
05-15-2004, 04:37 PM
Step 1. Don't waste money on a CD repair kit.
Step 2. Get some non-gel toothpaste. It's important that it be non-gel, because gel toothpaste doesn't have a rough surface like the other kind. Put a small application of toothpaste onto a rag or paper towl, and rub from the inside of the CD to the outside all around. Don't go into circles, since that's just going with the grain of the CD and won't do much. Once you've gotten toothpaste on the whole thing, maybe go over one again with the paper towl just to make sure it did something, then wash it off (water won't hurt it so don't worry) and dry it before you put it in any device. This does work - it repaired my second disk of Xenogears when it froze up. But, if the scratch is too deep, you're kind of SOL.

Erdrick Holmes
05-15-2004, 04:48 PM
When I dry the disc should I whipeo ff the water with a clean rag or just let it air out?

Shoeberto
05-15-2004, 04:59 PM
You can wipe it off with a towl or rag, just be careful. Go from the inside out again and don't put too much pressure on it.

Erdrick Holmes
05-15-2004, 05:03 PM
Tried that, I'm seeing some improvement is loading times but it still freezes up at that part.

Shoeberto
05-15-2004, 10:39 PM
The scratch is probably too deep then. You can try doing it again to see if it works, but when the scratch is too deep there isn't much that can be done about it.

Yrkoon
05-16-2004, 01:50 AM
good old water and toilet paper works for cleaning cd's

1. stick cd under tap (cold)
2. use toliet paper to abosrb moisture as u clean from the centre outwards.
3. if it doesnt cure it use a cotton bud soaked with some lens cleaner fluid on the cd/dvd lens and should work.

extra note.
on a ps2 with disc read error step 3 works very well to cure it :)

Erdrick Holmes
05-16-2004, 03:21 AM
No, no, no. My disc is scratched, not dirty.

Big D
05-16-2004, 07:54 AM
A good game store should be able to re-surface your CD in about fifteen minutes, for no more than a few dollars. Re-surfacing is totally reliable, as long as the back (label) side of the disc isn't damaged. Once the procedure's done, your disc will literally look and work as good as new. I've had it done with both CDs and DVDs - second-hand ones I bought that were both scratched and buggy - and now they're fine.

Rainecloud
05-16-2004, 08:34 AM
Failing that, buy a new copy of the game. It's dirt cheap, after all.