PDA

View Full Version : Game Soundtracks

Erdrick Holmes
05-15-2004, 06:24 PM
With games getting more technical and advanced with graphics and sound we can now go beyond the music of just little bleeps and chirps and go with music that was actually record with heavy metal guitars, orchistras, and vocals. Most of the time the thing that grabs my attention in a video game is the music. My personal favourtie game music has to be the hardrock from the Guilty Gear X games, I've gone as far as to make a CD with songs from that game to listen to on the bus.

What games d you think have the best soundtracks?

Germ Hamee
05-15-2004, 06:37 PM
I love, love, love the Silent Hill soundtracks. The first game had a ton of spooky noise, sure, but after that all of the tracks had a bit of melody to them, despite being spooky as hell. The guitar and vocal tracks are really great too.

I also really love Xenosaga, particularly for the chanting tracks (Zarathustra, The Miracle, etc...), and Chrono Cross had some good ones too.

And Arcanum.

Felldoh
05-15-2004, 07:33 PM
The Silent Hill series has, in my opinion, the best soundtracks ever. Songs like "A Stray Child" (SH3), "Promise and "Promise (Reprise)" (SH2), "Tears of..." (SH), "Fukuro" (Art of SH), "Not Tomorrow 2" (SH), "I Want Love (Studio Remix)" (SH3), there is just to many great songs from that series.

Final Fantasy Tactics also has some of my favorite game music. "Requiem" and "A Chapel" are my favorites.

Devil May Cry is also quite high up on that list. I love all the battle themes and the normal music when you're not in a battle is usually quite good.

I can say the Sonic games are also on my list of best soundtracks. From all the Sonic games I've played, I cannot think of one of those songs I truely hate. "This Way Out" (SA2), "Metropolis" (Sonic 2), and "Won't Stop Just Go!" (SA2) are my favorites from there.

Sephex
05-18-2004, 04:02 PM
Well, I have a bunch of FF soundtracks burned. I also have the Chrono games burned along with Xenogears. I have actual copies of FFIV: Piano Collections and FFVI: Grand Finale.

Lately, I have been rockin' out with my official copy of "The Black Mages". Good stuff.

Rainecloud
05-18-2004, 06:20 PM
I love the Final Fantasy soundtracks, and I own nearly all of them.

Besides that, I enjoy listening to music from Zelda, Little Big Adventure (1 & 2), Descent II and the Donkey Kong Country series. I always grab my remixes from OCRemix and VGMix, too.

Sephex
05-18-2004, 06:51 PM
Oh yeah, Zelda music is cool too. I also forgot to mention my love for the Silent Hill soundtracks as well!

Del Murder
05-19-2004, 01:58 AM
The Castlevania series has put out some good soundtracks. FF is the best, though.

CloudDragon
05-19-2004, 05:27 PM
Most anything Nobou Uematsu has done with FF games. My favorite gaming soundtracks have to come from the works of Yasunori Mitsuda with Xenogears, Xenosaga, and Chrono Cross.

BatChao
05-19-2004, 06:24 PM
Chrono Trigger is my fave soundtrack, but I also like Chrono Cross, Kingdom Hearts, and Final Fantasy X-2.

Germ Hamee
05-19-2004, 10:19 PM
Donkey Kong Country series. I always grab my remixes from OCRemix and VGMix, too.

I forgot about DKC. I loved the soundtrack to DKC2. I remember just turning on the game and standing around at certain levels just to listen to the music. =) I wish they'd make a new Donkey Kong game that actually lives up to the SNES ones.

Hrmm.. I wonder if I'm the only one that thinks the FF soundtracks are generally over-rated? :confused:

Iceglow
05-20-2004, 03:19 PM
I have to say that the sound track to Ace Combat 04 - Distant Thunder rules quite a bit too the work by Takanori Goto on the electric guitar is better than some 80s thrash metal bands were and we all know if you want thrash metal you look to the 80s if anyone happens to have it then let me know I've been hunting it for around a year now