PDA

View Full Version : i just started playing. Monk or theif?

kovah
05-16-2004, 01:51 AM
hey all i have just started playing this game and have one major delima. I can't decide if i should be a monk or a theif. So i decided to get some outside opinions. which of these classes is better at the low, mid and high levels of game? which class has higher hp? attack power? defence? which class gets to use the better armor and weapons?

i guess what this all boils down to is which class would you rather be grouped with while exping.

any and all feedback is appreciated.

VDeity
05-16-2004, 05:46 AM
Monks have the highest HP in the game. They have much better regular attack power than the thief, and can equip around the same kinds of armor as a Thief, even better ones too. Later on they do really high damage, and their skills round them off to be one of the most versatile fighters out there :P

Thieves on the other hand have really high Dexterity and Agility, giving them a higher chance to hit and dodge. They also have passive abilities to find more Gil than anyone else and increase their chances of finding items from defeated enemies, which makes them good for getting rich. Of course they can also steal items too. They get a nice ability called Sneak Attack, which when used at the right time delivers massive damage to enemies.

They're both good in different ways, when it comes down to choosing your job, it's just up to your preference.

kovah
05-16-2004, 08:03 AM
hrm... intresting. so now i know the skills of each class but i'm still not sure which class would be better in a group situation and a solo situation. It sounds like a monk would be better solo because of the high hp and attack power. While both sound like they would make an excellent source of secondary damage in a group, if there is a warrior as main. Theif richness is good because having the best armor possible is always an added bonus. I guess my next question is how much of a role does money play in this game. for example is the best armor avaiable purchased or found off ememies? will the extra money from playing a theif really make that big of a bonus. From the sounds of things monks can equip just as good armor as theifs which sounds kinda weird to me seeing as in all the final fantasy games and many other online games such as everquest monks could never use armor with that much protection, they always had to use armor that was light in weight.

anyway thank you very much vdeity your info was very helpfull.

Lionx
05-16-2004, 09:21 AM
Monks have the highest HP in the game. They have much better regular attack power than the thief, and can equip around the same kinds of armor as a Thief, even better ones too. Later on they do really high damage, and their skills round them off to be one of the most versatile fighters out there :P

I dont find this armour thing to be true, what does the THF wear at lvl 7? Leather Armour, but the MNK wears the Kenpogi series, in fact theres basically the WAR set and the MNK/SAM/NIN set, so they dont get similiar equips. MNK has cloth armour, while THF get light plate armour if they choose to wear it. Doublet is the only thing i think they share.

They are one of the best dmg dealers that do dmg over time, their DEX isnt as bad as DRK who one shot things for dmg, but you do dmg alot, and with Focus, your Multi-hit WS will connect more often and do more dmg. MNKs use Fists and Blunt weapons, hence they will have an advantage vs bone type undead monsters. But on the same note because they are blunt, they are weak vs hard shelled type armours. Good SATA(Sneak Attack+Trick Attack, aka Fuidama).

Active Abilities:
-Hundred Fists Monk: 1 (2hr ability)
Single Increases attack speed (typically 1sec delay)
-Boost Monk: 5
Builds your power up to give a stronger attack, stackable
-Dodge Monk: 15
Increases your Evasion of blows.
-Focus Monk: 25
Increases your accuracy
-Chakara Monk: 35
Heals Hit Points, based on your VIT stat
-Chi Blast Monk: 41
Sends a blast of mental energy to damage the enemy. Based on MND stat.
-Alarmed Monk: 45
Increases you chance of a counter attack while lowering your defense.

Passive Abilities:
-Martial Arts I Monk: 1
Improves your hand to hand attack percentage
-Subtle Blow I Monk: 5
Reduces the amount of TP gained by enemies when striking them.
-Counter Monk: 10
Will occasionally block an attack and counter attack for damage.
-HP Max Up Monk: 15
Increase in Maximum Hit Points
-Martial Arts II Monk: 25
Increases your hand to hand attack percentage
-HP Max Up II Monk: 35
Increases your Maximum Hit Points.
-Kick Monk: 51
Attacks include random kicks for damage
-HP Max Up III Monk: 55
Increases Maximum Hit Points
-HP Max Up IV Monk: 75
Increases Maximum Hit Points.

THFs on the other hand are hate control, not so much pre-30, but afterward they are used primarily for that and the Distortion Skillchain. Their Viper Bite does massive ammount of damage later, especially coupled with Trick and Sneak. Basically they control hate with Trick attack(which converts all hate from the dmg done from THF onto the person they are facing, namely the tank or trick partner). They use Sneak Attack to amplify that attack and make it much more devestating, and even ViperBite at times, doing over 400 damage one hit easily. But besides that one hit wonder, they do mediocore damage. At lvl 45 they get Treasure HunterII, and hence increase the drop rates of RARE labeled items, namely treasure and coffer keys. They are not to be underestimated despite what people say.

Active Abilities:
-Perfect Dodge Thief: 1(2hr Ability)
You evade all physical attacks.
-Steal Thief: 5
Chance to steal an item from the enemy.
-Sneak Attack Thief: 15
A powerful blow to the enemy. This can be used before combat is initiated, or during battle, but only when you are directly behind the enemy. Damage based on DEX trait.
-Flee Thief: 25
Lets you run twice as fast.
-Trick Attack Thief: 30
High Damage Attack that transfers all hate from strike to the person you are facing. Damage based on AGI trait.
-Mug Thief: 35
Chance to steal Gil from the enemy
-Hide Thief: 45
You disappear, basically the Invisble effect making you unable to be detected by sight.

Passive Abilities:
-Gil Finder Thief: 5
Enemies drop more gil for you.
-Physical Evasion Up I Thief: 10
Increases your evasion ability
-Treasure Hunter I Thief: 15
Mobs have a greater chance of dropping common items.
-Resist Gravity Thief: 20
Resists the effect of Weight(therefore ups the resists you from running slower from status effect).
-Physical Evasion Up II Thief: 30
-Treasure Hunter II Thief: 45
Mobs have a better chance of dropping RARE items.
-Phusical Evasion Up III Thief: 50
-Triple Attack Thief: 55
You have a chance of striking three times in a single attack

How much role does money play? ALOT. Items can be found of enemies, but thats pretty rare. Rare and strong armour drop off NMs(super monsters), but they spawn irregularily by the hour(or even a 4 hour spawn), so usually you will buy or craft your items. Crafting is an investment, so dont go in any craft without at least 10K. Takes gil to make gil. Also economy needs to be studied to know how and what item will benefit you from crafting.

BTW there is no such thing as secondary damage. There is damage and thats it. The tank, if its PLD or NIN, doesnt do alot of dmg for the most part, as they are just there to gather hate, the only way a WAR gathers hate is dmg, and thats the only tank that does it. Theres roles, namely: Tank, Damage Dealer, Healer, Nuker, Support. Thats how it is, each person is filling a role, and theres no secondary, unless backup healing.

kovah
05-16-2004, 10:57 AM
wow, thank you lionx. I couldn't have asked for more information or a better reply. This helps me alot. I'm pretty sure i've decided to make a mithra theif. It sounds like the offence of both classes is pretty comparable with the monk in slight advantage but i believe the better armor available to theifs will make more of an impact.

thanks again too everyone, you have helped more then i thought possible.

Citizen Bleys
05-16-2004, 03:14 PM
Let's not forget, however, that Final Fantasy IX lets you change your job as many times as you want, with no penalty (Save that if you level your jobs at different rates, you may need to keep lots of additional weapons and armor in your mog house)

What you could do is level as a monk up until lv 7 (When you get access to your first series of bigger and better weapons/armor), and then switch to THF and level it to 7, etc.

Another thing to keep in mind is that in FFXI, you can have a subjob after Lv 18...So you could have MNK as your main job, and THF as a subjob. Hence, when you're LV 30 as a MNK, assuming you kept up levelling your subjob, you'd also have the abilities of a LV 15 THF, including Treasure Hunter.

Even before getting a subjob, you could always change jobs at your Mog House and only play as a THF when you want to go gil farming.

Personally, I find THF more enjoyable to play, but my advice would have to be to use MNK as your main class and THF as your subjob, because the MNK's 2hr ability is absolutely effing AWESOME. It rules as much as Chainspell (RDM 2hr) sucks.

kovah
05-16-2004, 05:07 PM
heh one more question. Which class at mid and higher levels is better if you are going for solo exp? from the sounds of things i think monk would be.

VDeity
05-16-2004, 05:52 PM
Wow, people know so much about this game. LOL.

Ummmm, as far as choosing Thief over Monk just for armor, I don't think that's a great idea, because neither Thieves nor Monks are good tanks. It's true that Monks have very high HP, but usually tanking is left to the Warriors and Paladins, or Ninjas with Utsusemi :p . As far as soloing goes, I don't think any class is great for soloing, except maybe Beastmasters and Summoners. This game almost requires partying to gain exp, because monsters are so strong, but there are a few people who like to fight smaller monsters for less exp, but leveling is much slower. And Gi's/Cloth armors are cool :) They add stats pretty good.

Lionx
05-17-2004, 12:59 AM
Technically, the MNK benefits from the WAR sub alot more, Provoke, Beserk, Double Attack, and the sort. It really helps. MNK can tank up to lvl 30, then mobs get serious and then its time for MNK to take full time battle and not tank. THF can only offer Sneak attack at lvl 30, thats quiet a long way, and also Trick at 60, which is also a long way, so a WAR sub is much more appropiate for a MNK. BTW your first good MNK gear is lvl 8, been crafting so i know what a kenpogi's lvl is...o-o;;

SMNs are not that great solo, while it looks good on concept, every hit they do isnt that strong against good monsters, and they cost MP to keep out, not to mention MP to do their special abilities. And if they die without another avatar...your screwed because SMN has the lowest HP ever, not to mention the lightest of cloth armour.

BST is the ultimate solo job, i agree, with nothing to stop you but CHR, you can charm and lvl with charming monsters. BST are not invited to many pts commonly, so they are THE solo job.

RDM can solo a bit after lvl 41, they buff with Protect, Shell. Then they add on a Bar-status to help them, then they put on Enspells to enhance their attack a little bit, and put up Phalanx(ultra DEF spell), Stoneskin, Blink, and Refresh(MP Regen). If they run out of MP, they cast Stoneskin to absorb dmg, then Convert(switch MP and HP), then CureIV and keep on fighting, basically they outlast their enemies, but after lvl 41 only with the proper buffs.

Your going to party, especially after lvl 16 ish where melees stop soloing because of mob difficulty. If you really really hate partying(doesnt get good til lvl 30ish tho, newbs at low lvls are learning so that hampers some exp gain), try BST. But for solo farming..THF is pretty good actually..just make sure the monster is not facing you, and SATA on its back, it should do enough for farmable monsters.

and VDiety is correct, choose the job that will fit you best, not for the armour.

It rules as much as Chainspell (RDM 2hr) sucks.

Thats so not true. When they reach lvl 59, and sub BLM, when things go bad, Chainspell+Escape, and therefore instant escape. Which could be a 15-20second cast without it. They can also solo some strong monsters with Chainspell/Convert+Refresh. It doesnt suck, just situational.

UltimateSpamGrover
05-18-2004, 03:01 AM
at level 18 you get this thing called a subjob. You should have Thief main and Monk sub.