PDA

View Full Version : The original or the remake?

DeBlayde
05-16-2004, 08:05 AM
I was a massive huge really big fan of Chrono Trigger on the SNES. Now, years later, I bought Final Fantasy Anthologies. So. Which version do you like better?

I must say, I do enjoy the new cut scenes and endings. But the sounds and gameplay were all kindsa better on the SNES. and everybody does kinda look like the DBZ gang. I mean, on the cut scenes, I kept expecting Chrono to turn into Goku, Magus into Vegeeta, and Frog in the end once the curse is broken looks like Gohan after green hairdye. Kinda funny.

so. whatcha think?

Jebus
05-16-2004, 07:45 PM
Well, Akira Toriyama (sp?), the guy who drew DBZ, did the cutscenes. I'd have to agree with you on most points though. But the cutscenes were nice :D

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-17-2004, 01:17 AM
I found the cut scenes incredibly ugly. The animators responsible for adapting Toriyama's work did a really terrible job.

ChocoboRider
05-17-2004, 08:32 PM
original, i must say. im a hardcore snes fan, and have yet to play any ff later than 6 (3 on snes). i saw the scenes over at my friend's house and couln't stand them. if they want to change the story or write a new ending, they need to make a new game. the game's been out for almost 10 years, and that's too long to make new scenes.

crono_logical
05-18-2004, 01:13 AM
SNES version for me :p

Kirobaito
05-18-2004, 02:30 AM
Having never played the PS one, I'll have to go with SNES.

Del Murder
05-18-2004, 02:32 AM
I don't like the load time (however slight) between the battles. The cut scenes were decent but FFIV-VI's were better.

Killy
05-18-2004, 02:51 AM
Snes, the load times on psx were just too long. That and the fact that it wont run on my PS2 no more.

System Id
05-19-2004, 09:28 PM
I'd definitely give up all the cutscenes for the disappearance of those blasted load times. The battle load times don't really bother me, but opening and closing the menu is such a stinking chore now.

Sephex
05-20-2004, 04:17 PM
I don't mind the cut scenes. I do mind the load times. SNES version all the way!

Rase
05-22-2004, 10:55 PM
I don't mind the cut scenes. I do mind the load times. SNES version all the way!

Vermachtnis
05-23-2004, 01:16 AM
I heard the load times for FF4 where really bad, I never heard anything bad about CT load times. The cut-scenes look allright to me, but I never even played it on PS, so I can't really say either one. It's the same game right, so it really shouldn't matter.

Sefie1999AD
05-23-2004, 11:13 AM
Definitely the original. Even though I haven't played CT PSX, Arche told me its loading times are so annoying that they rival those of FF6's, which were really bad, IMHO. From what I've seen in reviews and screenshots, sound quality has got inferior in PSX, and some graphical stuff have been removed, like the time warp effect in the background during the final battle. I don't really like the new anime FMVs, either. The opening FMV was cool, but the rest were meh, and the ending cinematics totally sucked. The game allows you to get multiple endings in SNES, but in PSX, the same ending is always forced by giving you the same ending FMV, and it's a stupid attempt to tie CT and CC anyway.

Triple T
07-21-2004, 01:37 PM
I'm going with the PS one. I don't have a SNES. And besides, I didn't even notice the loading times. ._.

fro828
09-09-2004, 02:50 AM
i played both, i rented it for 7 days on the PS and got the rom on my pc, and i like the snes better. no real big difference though. snes just feels like home to me though, the graphics n music n sounds, all from the good old snes days. i would really like to own CT for snes, would anyone know where i could get it?

Rase
09-09-2004, 05:57 AM
Ebay, maybe EB Games, Game Crazy... quite a few places.

Necronopticous
09-10-2004, 10:49 PM
original, i must say. im a hardcore snes fan, and have yet to play any ff later than 6 (3 on snes). i saw the scenes over at my friend's house and couln't stand them. if they want to change the story or write a new ending, they need to make a new game. the game's been out for almost 10 years, and that's too long to make new scenes.

I'm guessing you're just making up the fact that you saw the new scenes at a friends house and just haven't given it a chance, because the new scenes aren't new story. They're anime style FMVs that illustrate key events that already happen in the game I.E. Frog cutting the mountainside open with Masamune, etc. I don't know where you came up with the new ending thing, Chrono Trigger has many endings, none of them are new. They did write a new story with new endings, they called it Chrono Cross.

bEoWuLfX
09-11-2004, 07:43 PM
well, I really hate the load times for the psx version of the game, but I was wondering if the snes version gave you all the extras for example a treasure guide, music box, and tech lists? I'm gonna go for the psx version. The cut scenes weren't that bad and in fact if I think crono should look like goku. I mean if you could redo the animation which anime would it take after? Trigun maybe?

DJZen
09-15-2004, 02:00 AM
The SNES version didn't have any extras. No treasure list, bestiary, music box or tech list.