PDA

View Full Version : XBox question

Erdrick Holmes
05-18-2004, 02:19 PM
I got the DVD playback kit for my XBox so I can watch DVDs on it, but my XBox is hooked up through the AV ports on my VCR which is connected to my TV, I heard that if you watch DVDs on an XBox connected like that it can ruin the XBox hardware forever, I just wanna know why it does that.

metCloud
05-18-2004, 03:28 PM
It wont ruin it....Basically all you are doing is running your xbox on a extended AV cord. But your using more power keeping your vcr on. You should just get a rf switch for it...makes things much simpler.

RSL
05-19-2004, 12:13 AM
Joel, if you could play games by having your Xbox hooked up to the tv via the VCR, then why would DVDs be a problem?

So yeah, that's just nonsense.

Kirobaito
05-19-2004, 12:14 AM
Aren't XBox games DVDs anyway?

Erdrick Holmes
05-19-2004, 01:21 AM
Well I read about this in an old Gamepro magazine about some guy watching Friday on his XBox and it started clicking and it shorted out, when he mentioned how it was hooked up on AV ports through his VCR the staff at Gamepro said that hooking it up like that and watching a DVD moive messes with the circutry, then my friend Nathan was watching a DVD movie on his XBox and it stopped working ever sence the day that happened.

metCloud
05-19-2004, 02:25 AM
Well I read about this in an old Gamepro magazine about some guy watching Friday on his XBox and it started clicking and it shorted out, when he mentioned how it was hooked up on AV ports through his VCR the staff at Gamepro said that hooking it up like that and watching a DVD moive messes with the circutry, then my friend Nathan was watching a DVD movie on his XBox and it stopped working ever sence the day that happened.

Well if your scepticle, dont do it. I dont see anyway how it could be a problem though.

edczxcvbnm
05-19-2004, 03:05 PM
Joel....return that DVD playback kit now!

You will have nothing but problems from it. What everyone here has failed to mention to you is that the macrovision that is encoded into DVDs doesn't allow you to route the DVD picture or sound clearly through a VCR. Why? Because then you could rent DVDs and hit record on your VCR and not pay for it.

You will get shitty sound and a shitty picture. It will fade in and out all the time from really bright to overly dark. You need a modulator if you want to watch DVDs on a TV that doesn't have AV cables.

Erdrick Holmes
05-19-2004, 08:10 PM
Hmm, alright I'll just have to buy an RF switch then.

edczxcvbnm
05-20-2004, 07:10 AM
Hmm, alright I'll just have to buy an RF switch then.

I am pretty sure buying an RF switch will not solve the problem Joel. I would e-mail microsoft and ask them. As well as Sony because they would use the same type of technology. I am pretty sure and RF switch would give you the same type of output as running AV cables through a VCR.

I say this because I can't use a coax to watch DVD movies on my DVD/VCR combo. I MUST use AV cables or better.

Iceglow
05-20-2004, 03:23 PM
well its not the same on the PS2 I can tell you from experience the PS2 gives what is generally called the green screen effect. The entire picture is tinted green and whilst that can actually improve visual effects on some films such as the film swordfish looks quite good with a pale green tinge on it, it does make for crap video copies of DVD's (I tested this for a friend the picture is nearly all green and no actual picture)