PDA

View Full Version : how good is ffV? (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

aeris2001x2
05-19-2004, 03:45 AM
i keep hearing diff things. some ppl put this with ff2, ff8, ffx-2 etc while others hail it as the best.

is it true it sacrifices story 4 gameplay? u see i,m doing ff3 and ff4 right now and will be coming to ff5 after. i dont want the euphoria of ff4's genius to be followed with disapointment, escpically as it will be leading on to FFXI in november and i want the ff lust to be on a high when i splash like 100 pound plus subscription charges and broadband on it. a similar thing happened between ff1 to ff2...genius to horrors. i dont know what hit me.

so how good is it ppl? though please, dont put any spoilers! just a general summary of the games genius/or lack of...

Kirobaito
05-19-2004, 04:27 AM
It is a wonderful game.

I would agree that it does sacrifice a little story for gameplay, but the gameplay is by far the best out of all the FFs. The Job System you'll fall in love with. It was one of the most enjoyable long-term games I've ever played. I'd recommend picking up Anthology or the ROM.

eestlinc
05-19-2004, 07:09 AM
the "sacrifice" in the storyline is actually quite nice. ANyway, the game could have no story whatsoever and still be a great game because it is so well done. gameplay is fantastic, the challenge is good, the game is long but not too long, you don't have huge cut scenes that just waste time, and you have the highest percentage of female characters.

aeris2001x2
05-19-2004, 01:19 PM
ohhh highest percentage of girls hey :cool:

what u say about game play sounds really exciting, i almost want to skip ff4 now :D

Dragoon Kain
05-19-2004, 11:44 PM
NO! keep playing 4! 4 is the best! ALL HAIL 4!!!

:mog: kupo :mog:

DJZen
05-20-2004, 05:47 AM
I have to disagree. I don't think it sacrificed story at all. Granted, the plot doesn't twist quite as violently as it does in FFVII, but it's still a solid plot. I haven't played Anthology though, only a translated ROM and that was a while ago.

Mr. Graves
05-21-2004, 04:06 AM
What eest said. The gameplay is sheer bliss, the story is passable and I like the way it takes a backseat to the gameplay, and the challenge rate keeps you on your toes. There is very little to dislike about this game, besides the fact that building job levels gets tedious after awhile.

The Captain
05-21-2004, 07:00 AM
A very solid title. I usually play the games for their story, so it took me a while to warm up to V, but it was enjoyable. Definitely give it a shot.

Take care all.

Carnage
05-21-2004, 07:56 PM
You might start to lose interest towards the end cause of the lack of a storyline. But its put together very well battle system, Job/Class system everything.

aeris2001x2
06-07-2004, 10:40 AM
i,ve just *saved* mid from the ancient libary, bout 6 hours in. im just trying to work out if i,m enjoying this game or not. i mean there is something just iffy about it. i dont know if its the happy music(this has got to be nobou uematsu's most uplifting ff soundtrack and a complete departure from what i,m used too),

or the disapointment that i can only equip 2 abilities ( e.g so cant have Bartz be a knight/mage/summoner/ninja/thief simultanesously)

or that the story aint up to much yet...etc. i dont know, i should not be drawn to ffIII over ffV but i am. i must admit though the jump in complexity in terms of battle systerm to this from the previous 4 games is immense. maybe i,m just not compled by Bartz, Relina, Galuf etc over Cecil and co (though that scene where the guys sneak into to that pirates room and develop heart bubbles above them cause they discover her true gender is SO classic! :D )

do u think i,ll like it later if i,m not grabbed by it now?(aka entrance of Gilgemesh?)

Ultima Shadow
06-07-2004, 02:47 PM
I think you should play trough FFV before you play FFIII. It's less fun if you play 2 (or more) FF games at once (atleast I think so). Also, there's some class abilities that will stay passive when you are non-class. And there's one class that have 3 ability slots.

eestlinc
06-08-2004, 06:48 AM
you'll like ff5 more as you get into it, once you start mastering jobs or once you just make a party of dancers.

aeris2001x2
06-08-2004, 09:07 PM
lol i definitly am loving this game now. i just saved the moggle from that powerful t-rex skelton thing.

the story has like zoomed up lots and i LOVE cid and mid, they are so cool :cool: , always so helpful and really funny(except when they vanished from our base under the sea and it took me hours 2 find them :mad2: )

yeah i think i will stay away from ffIII and see this through. i actually think the story and character development is really good. ok its hardly ffVI but its right behind ffIV and my ninja/theif, black/time mage and white/summoner mage really kick ass. i however want to equip more then two abilitys (which job class has three ability slots?)

anyway when i go home its back to another 12 hour ffV session :D

Ultima Shadow
06-08-2004, 11:49 PM
(which job class has three ability slots?)

It's an class called mimic and it's the one and only class that is hidden... and it's NOT easy to get. Tell me if you want to know how to get it. But i warn you... by the time you can kick the butt of the final boss, the one who guards mimic is still very hard.

aeris2001x2
06-09-2004, 10:10 AM
i bet its Shinryu or Omega!!!

yeah i wondered why i was missing a class. anyway i,ll wait to the replay for that me thinks, this game will be a joy to master i suspect.

and the game has gone up again in the last 12 hour session. the story is amazing, the game play i love and Gilgemesh is Uber! and he got sent to the N-zone poor guy :( (and now i know where ffVIII excalipoor came from ;) lol). i,d say this game is better then ffIV right now (amazing, what 24 hours can do, ffV was like 9th then in my chart, now its 3rd or 4th).

i,ve started the quest for the 12 weapons(galuf, NO! come back!) and at lv 31, 16 hours in. am i i near the end yet?

Ultima Shadow
06-09-2004, 10:25 AM
i bet its Shinryu or Omega!!!

yeah i wondered why i was missing a class. anyway i,ll wait to the replay for that me thinks, this game will be a joy to master i suspect.

and the game has gone up again in the last 12 hour session. the story is amazing, the game play i love and Gilgemesh is Uber! and he got sent to the N-zone poor guy :( (and now i know where ffVIII excalipoor came from ;) lol). i,d say this game is better then ffIV right now (amazing, what 24 hours can do, ffV was like 9th then in my chart, now its 3rd or 4th).

i,ve started the quest for the 12 weapons(galuf, NO! come back!) and at lv 31, 16 hours in. am i i near the end yet?
I can say it's not Shinryu or Omega... but still a hard one. This one is much harder to find than Shinryu and Omega. I laughed when I first faced that boss... eum well, enough said, I wont spoil anything.
However you CAN'T miss Shinryu or Omega... and when you see them, you know you are close to the end. And yea... Gilgamesh is uber (just wait and see...).

aeris2001x2
06-09-2004, 10:34 AM
lol so is like omega and shinryu in the cleft of dimensions? are they as hard as reputation says? and there is more then two super bossess in this game? :cool: sweet more challenges!

ohh no, i hope gilgemesh does not wreak havoc on my party, its not my fault X-Death tricked him with the excalipoor :D

ok i,m going to bed soon, i want to play more ffV now!

Ultima Shadow
06-09-2004, 10:39 AM
ohh no, i hope gilgemesh does not wreak havoc on my party, its not my fault X-Death tricked him with the excalipoor :D

Don't worry, (you'll) be happy!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;)

Oh, I almost forgot, yea Omega and Shinryu are that strong... atleast Omega. There's an special strat that works very well against Shinryu but Omega is a real bad ass. Oh, and I heard you said something about FF2 bosses having annoying defense... ha... haha... hahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D :D
Just wait for Omega...

aeris2001x2
06-10-2004, 06:49 PM
i just finished ffV!!! :D and i was only lv38-40. it took a few goes but i crushed neo X-death and what an end!!! my 3rds fav ff game.

yeah i met Omega and you were,nt joking, my meteo did what, 50 or sumthin??? i scuttled past him as quick as i could and when i eventually met shinryu i just fled straight away... :cry: . i did like that book about how even the legendary 12 could not stand against them :D it wernt exageratting.

i also met a surprise at the bottom of the ocean, Gogo whooped me and i did not return. it seems i,m gonna need 2 do alot 4 my replay, i mean i didnt get ramuh till right at the end, didnt get phoenix and only got levithan and bahamat as my power house summons. i wonder how long it would take 2 master all the jobs...gulp :eek: .

ahhh i love this game. but first i must replay and master ffIV, and ffIII..bah forget ffIII lets...actually i,ve played 20 hours of ff in a very short period...i think i need 2 rest a bit first. man, i havent played an ff so obessievly since i was 15.

Ultima Shadow
06-10-2004, 06:58 PM
Well, you get alot of AP in the cleaft of dimensions so it shouldn't take way to long. You get 140AP or something from the Movers.

And there is actually a way of beating Shinrryu very fast at level 40 as well. I actually was at level 43 when i killed him. Even Gogo migth be harder if you use the super killing Shinrryu strat.

aeris2001x2
06-10-2004, 07:03 PM
i,m so tempted to ask u 2 tell me but can i ask instead, does it involves any of these classes...knight,white mage,black mage,time mage,summoner,theif,ninja? if so i may go battle him soon with my lv 40 team.

so is gogo another super boss that is never talked about? i also get the impression this Omega, unlike the others, actually lives up to the hype.

Ultima Shadow
06-10-2004, 07:08 PM
Well the class is... none of those. You also need 4 coral rings or his tidalwawe will wipe you aout. And you need a weapon that can be rarely stealed from crystal dragons. But this strat don't work on Omega since you will do 0 damage to him instead of 9999. Omega is hard.

Yea Gogo is a super boss since he his so much stronger than X-Death.

aeris2001x2
06-10-2004, 07:15 PM
well me thinks it will be a replay 2 beat them then. i actually had to buy 4 coral rings to survive levithan and this X-Death servant's tidal wave counters, man i loved them.

on omega, i,m assuming there is sumthin that can pentrate his defense...is,nt bahamat unblockable elemental damage? he has about 50,000 hp doesnt he? not a million i hope? :eek:

Ultima Shadow
06-10-2004, 07:21 PM
I think it was 55.300 or something. I did 850+ each hit with my Ragnarok and massamune 2weapon x-figth. Do you want me to tell you the class you should use on Shinrryu is?

aeris2001x2
06-10-2004, 07:29 PM
thanks but no its ok 4 now, though if i get stuck your be my first port of call :D ( i bet its a Class i would normally never even equip). i didnt know there was a ragnarok anywhere, are there better weapons avaliable then the legendary 12? would omega still be a potent threat at lv99?

Ultima Shadow
06-10-2004, 07:31 PM
Ragnarok is the only better weapon and you get it by beating Shinrryu. It will take 9999999 years to reach level 99 in FFV. :D

aeris2001x2
06-10-2004, 07:33 PM
lol yeah it does look a time but it would have 2 be done eventually, no exp eggs either :( . what sort of stats/hp do u think lv99 characters would have?

Ultima Shadow
06-10-2004, 08:59 PM
About 6000-7000hp maybe. More with the hp+30% ability. Oh, and I almost forgot... the weapon you can steal from the Crystal Dragons is also more powerful than most of the legendary weapons. Steal some if you can.

Lamia
06-15-2004, 09:47 PM
You know... I actaully love FFVs story.

At first I thought it was lame. I was like. .. WTF? This is monotonous! Going from tower to tower to save some
crystals! But after all that, the game does take some twist and turns. And well, I personally think the game has a majestic feel to it. It may not be some crazy sci fi crap like 7,9, and 10.. but whatever, .. as if I prefer that. :) haha.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed this game. It's freakin awesome.

FleshMask
06-18-2004, 08:09 PM
It's okay...

as long as you overlook the 2nd grade story line...
or the annoying "Horn MIDI" Music...
or the silly situation between the sisters (or brother and sister... whatever).
Or the strange noise coming out the dragon...

yup it's good....

CloudDragon
06-22-2004, 07:32 AM
This game is close to brilliant. I like it, but yet to finish it.

kingtonberry
06-25-2004, 07:41 PM
The last boss is great! Not as GREAT as kefka though, but I won't spoil it for ya. It is a great game I really enjoy playing it. I'm gonna complete it again to keep myself entertained.

Black Mage FF1
07-11-2004, 07:51 AM
This game is close to brilliant.

*Agrees* FFV is one of my favorite FF games. There is so much you can do in this game. Just like in FFT. Plus the story is really good too.

UltimateSpamGrover
07-11-2004, 11:32 AM
this is how you defeat Gogo:

*SPOILER STARTS*

you defend the entire battle, do absolutely nothing, then he'll give up and you get the mime class.

*SPOILER END*