PDA

View Full Version : Single most favourites

Lindy
05-19-2004, 09:56 PM
Ok, I'm fed up of the wishy washy rubbish, like the "Top 5/10/100 songs/albums/bands"

Just pick ONE favourite song, ONE favourite album, ONE favourite band/artist.

Just one and only one.

<i>Song :</i>
Snow Patrol - Chocolate.
The subject matter isn't exactly joyful, the story of a guy who was dumped by a girl, but now really wants her back, but it's just the way it's performed and put across that just makes it so wonderful and easy to listen to. Plus, it always reminds me of the hilarious video when I watch it too.
Oh, and the position in the album is perfect too, after Spitting Games about a guy wanting a girl he can't have, and before Run, about finally having someone to be happy with.

<i>Band/Artist :</i>
Snow Patrol
Because? They're just so easy to listen to, no matter what mood, and I have enough songs (3 albums, 3 hours) to keep me occupied.

<i>Album :</i>
Hell Is For Heroes - The Neon Handshake
This one was a hard choice, since it was a toss-up between this or Ok Go's self-titled, but I prefer this one since I can just listen to it any time, any mood and it just works. I love all the album, and I can't pick out any real favourite songs, whereas there are some songs on Ok Go that I don't like as much as others. It's all season music too, whereas Ok Go are more summer music. Plus, they're an awesome band live, and the whole album makes me think of them and how great they were playing live.

So yes, post ONE song, ONE band/artist and ONE album that you consider your favourite.

JUST ONE.

Rainecloud
05-19-2004, 10:28 PM
<i>Song :</i>
Mandalay - Beautiful (7" Canny Mix).
I first heard the song whilst watching a FFIX music video that was constructed by a member here at EoFF (who's name eludes me at the moment). I enjoyed the tune, and I thought the female vocals in the piece were extraordinarily beautiful. Plus, the girl sings with an English accent, which is pretty rare these days. Also, the lyrics are quite strong, cheerful and powerful, which again makes for a welcome change.

<i>Band/Artist :</i>
David Bowie.
I'm really *sad*, apparently. Ah well, I don't care. I was brought up listening to David Bowie, and I just <i>love</i> his voice. It's so unique, and I can listen to his music for hours and hours without becoming bored or frustrated. He's one in a million.

<i>Album :</i>
Vanessa Mae - Subject to Change.
An obscure one, no? I enjoy listening to all the various incarnations of Vanessa Mae's music, and this album is no exception. As well as some heart warming classical pieces, the compilation also contains some trance remixes, some crazy dance tunes and a couple of ethnic tracks which really are quite diverse. I love listening to this album, because every track is totally different.

Good topic, my dear Lindz. :greenie:

Lindy
05-19-2004, 10:44 PM
Eh, it's an ok topic, but not as good as the fact that YOU LIKE BOWIE!

omg, the heartage.

Skogs
05-19-2004, 11:22 PM
One Song:
Jeff Buckley - Last Goodbye
So uplifting for a sad song. Always puts me in a good mood when I hear it.

One Band:
Powderfinger
They've got a song for whatever mood you're in. And they're Australian. What more could you want?

One Album
Jeff Buckley - Grace
One of the greatest albums of all time. Hardly a weak song on it. (Ok, that's a lie - So Real isn't a great song). But other than that... the voice, the guitar, the songwriting, the arrangements - amazing.

Kirobaito
05-20-2004, 12:43 AM
Song
That's Why I'm Here - Kenny Chesney
This is a song about alcoholism - one of the worst things in the world today. It can really make you cry.

Lyrics:
I ain't had nothin' to drink
I knew that's probably what you'd think
if I dropped by this time of night.

Remember way back when
I promised you I'd drop in
At one of those meetings down at the Y.

Well, they started talkin' 'bout steps you take,
Mistakes you make, the hearts you break,
And the price you pay - I almost walked away.

You could hear a pin drop, when this old man
Stood up and said I'm gonna say it again
Like a do every week
For those who don't know me.

It's the simple things in life
Like the kids at home and a lovin' wife
That you miss the most - when you lose control
And everything you love starts to disappear
The devil takes your hand and says "No Fear"
Have another shot - just one more beer.
I've been there....that's why I'm here.

Well this ol' boy stood up in the aisle
Said he'd been livin' a life of denial,
and he cried - as he talked about wasted years.

I couldn't believe what I heard
It was my life word for word
And all of a sudden it was clear...

[REPEAT CHORUS]

I know for us it may be too late
But it would mean the world to me
If you were there when I stand and say

[REPEAT CHORUS]

Wonderful song.

Artist
John Denver
His songs about folk music and a traditional way of living exemplifies the way that I live - Thank God I'm a Country Boy.

Most famous works:
Annie's Song
Thank God I'm a Country Boy
Take me Home, Country Roads
Leavin' on a Jetplane
This Old Guitar
Farewell Andromeda
Follow Me

Favorite Album
Toby Keith - Unleashed
I love every song on it. 'Nuff said.

Tracks:
01 - Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue
02 - Who's Your Daddy?
03 - Good to go to Mexico
04 - It's All Good
05 - Beer for My Horses
06 - Losing My Touch
07 - Huckleberry
08 - It Works For Me
09 - Ain't It Just Like You
10 - Rock You Baby
11 - Rodeo Moon
12 - That's Not How It Is

Calliope
05-20-2004, 08:54 AM
Favourite Song - Travis - Writing to Reach You
My favourite song since it was released. Panzerknacker and I used to sit in her room and she'd play the chords and I'd play the bass and neither of us would sing; I'd reserve that for at home during sunset. It's good to know that you don't know I'm hurting. Sometimes it makes me feel like running. The video is also one of my favourites and features Fran running around being shot at and having rocks thrown at him; it's great! Really.

Favourite Band - Blur
While my favourite song is prone to change, my fave band is not. Four English blokes produce six CDs that cheer me up when this is a low. It's exciting, really it is. Modern. Life. Is. Rubbish. LIVES IN A HOUSE, A VERY BIG HOUSE IN THE COUNTRY! THE ENGLAND HE FOUGHT FOR IS NEVERMORE! Go download the video for 'charmless man'. BLUR VS OASIS! LET'S OVERTHROW THATCHER! Gallagher supposedly said of his arch-enemies, "I hope they catch AIDS and die." Hype hype hype hype hype. Screw Think Tank; BRITPOP FOREVER! Don't even mention "Gorillaz", "Simon Tong", or "Crow Sit On Blood Tree", please. I doubt they'll ever get back together. Oh well. There's always "Live at the Budokan". NINTENDO! ATARI!

Favourite Album - Eee-O-Eleven: The Best of the Rat Pack
Swingy, poppy, self assured and romantic, if the need be. To be fair, I always skip the sappy songs and instead gleefully listen to Davis sing the blues. Deano, Deano, Deano, why do you get stuck with the terrible songs? It makes me sad that my only friend who would approve of Frankie, Sammy and Deano moved away. Why do only old people like The Summit? HAVEN'T YOU YOUNGINS SEEN 'OCEAN'S ELEVEN'?! NO THAT WASN'T WRITTEN BY THE DOCTOR FROM ER!

jrgen
05-20-2004, 10:02 AM
It's impossible for me to pick only one favourite of those.

Erdrick Holmes
05-20-2004, 01:58 PM
Song- Accolade II. It's just one of the best songs I'd ever listened to. It's lyrics sorta fit the storyline of my Desteny's Heroes story.

Band- Symphony X. They have Michel Romeo, the best freaking guitarist alive now, need I say more.

Album- V The new Mythology Suite. If you listen carefully to all of the songs in order from begining to end it somewhat tells a story.

Rostum
05-20-2004, 02:19 PM
Alex Lloyd - Lucky Star

One Band:
The Tea Party

One Album
Jeff Buckley - Live at Sin-e Legacy Edition

White Raven
05-20-2004, 02:24 PM
They were difficult choices but here they are...

Song :
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
The guitar solo at the end is by far one of my favourites and the lyrics are so moving, IMO. The video for this song in the movie, The Wall, is so sad too. The live versions for this song on P.U.L.S.E. and Outside the Wall are amazing too. Such a great song...

Runners up:
Pink Floyd - Echoes
Led Zeppelin - The Rain Song
The Beatles - A Day in the Life
Rush - 2112 Overture/Temple of the Syrinx

Band/Artist :
Pink Floyd
What can I say? They've made so many golden and inspirational albums, and the variation with their music is spectacular. And the story of the bands history is a drama in itself. With the fall of Berrett at the begining, to the war between Waters and Gilmour near the end. I have nearly every one of their aprox. 25 albums in vynal form, and now I've begun my tape and CD collection of them. I have many floyd clothing and other floyd merchandise. Syd, Roger, David, Richard and Nick...how I love thee...

Runners up:
Led Zeppelin
The Beatles

Album :
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Floyds greatest achievment by far. I hardly listen to a single song on the album at a time. The album must be heard in complete everytime because all the songs flow into each other beutifully. And I don't think anyone can argue that this isn't one of the best albums ever recorded in the world. In the US, the album is the 18th best selling album ever and has spent a total of over 740 weeks on the Billboard magazine music charts with the longest continuous period in history, lasting 591 consecutive weeks. I don't think that any modern album will ever come close to that record. Yes, it is a fantabulous album for sure.

Runners up:
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Led Zeppelin - IV
The Beatles - Abbey Road

Silmaril
05-20-2004, 03:11 PM
Song:
"Heaven" By LIVE

Band/Artist:
Lifehouse

Album:
No Name Face from Lifehouse

Burtsplurt
05-20-2004, 05:50 PM
Song:
'Sleep' by Godspeed You! Black Emperor. I listened to this song almost constantly for a couple of years. It's 23 minutes long and played by a band with nine members, so I'm still discovering new things (it's essential to listen to it with headphones). The last 6 or 7 minutes is the most beautiful music I've ever heard.

Artist:
The Microphones. My favourite "band" of the moment (I say band, because the Microphones is really Phil Elvrum who enlists the help of his musically-minded friends on some tracks). I don't know how to describe the music. It's largely acousticly based, but can be punky, even verging on metal in some tracks. It's lo-fi, but the production is brilliant (the music often pans from speaker to speaker or bursts into distortion - simple, but hugely effective).

Album:
Probably the hardest choice. I'll go for 'The Holy Bible' by Manic Street Preachers. I haven't listened to it for ages, but for a long time I loved it. I haven't liked an album as much, even if I have grown bored with it now.

DMKA
06-30-2004, 05:13 PM
Well these change for me all the time...so I'll just assume you mean rigth now...(I'll probably be hunter down and killed for these...)

Song: Affirmation by Savage Garden...its just a catchy while soothing tune and I really like what it says and it pretty much says alot of what I think.

Artist: Sublime. I just really love Sublime and have for along time...maybe cause I can really hear what Brad Nowell is saying in just about every song he sang.

Album: T.A.T.U - 200 Km/H in the Wrong Lane. Why? I'm really not sure why, but I just love it to death and never get tired of it.

So there you have it...I'm an oddball who loves tunes of all sorts.

Xander
06-30-2004, 08:15 PM
Song - Unchained Melody - Whoever sung it

Band - Blink 182, duh.

Album - Blink 182 - Dude Ranch

Zell's Fists of Fury
06-30-2004, 09:56 PM
Song: There is no way in hell I could possibly ever pick out a favorite song. It fluctuates way too often. Right now? Jenny Was a Freind of Mine - The Killers. That'll change in three days to a week, though.

Album: Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd

Band: Red Hot Chili Peppers.

You know it.

black orb
07-01-2004, 07:47 AM
Song - Some japanese song

Artist - Nobuo Uematsu

Album - GGX2 OST

Cuchullain
07-01-2004, 08:40 AM
Song: Libertas Ragusa, by The McCalmans. A very sad song, with harmonic vocals to die for. Three Scottish male voices singing in perfect harmony to a haunting song; beautiful

Artist/Band: Iron Maiden

I've been a fan of Maiden for 11 years now, and have just about everything of theirs I can find. Seen them three times, and I can spend forever listening to their stuff.

Album: "Songs for Swingin' Survivors" by Mick Softley.An album from the 1960's Hertfordshire folk legend, Mick Softley. Some odd takes on songs by other artists ("Strange Fruit" by Billie Holiday and "The Bells of Rhymney" by Pete Seeger) along with great folkie songs "The War Drags On" and "After The Third World War is Over (Or how I learned to live without myself)" which also has the comical verse "Fire's been and gone burned everything to the ground, I put my hand in my pocket and I pull out a pound. I laugh to myself though it hurts my face, 'cause I've got a pound but there's no human race"