PDA

View Full Version : WHATS HAPPENInG????

wilrod89
05-20-2004, 11:54 PM
i've been playing Final Fantasy for years and hate the way itz turning out...i mean i loved the old battle style like in 7-10, and now it seems like the fighting style is like the style of Devil May Cry.....i mean wasn't it Final Fantasy that made that style popular? then why change it? and another thing......i hate the clothes the charecters are wearing, i mean honestly who wears those type of clothes??? i liked the style they wore in 7 and 8 but since 9 no way.....dont get me wrong i love all the final fantasy games square enix has made but, dont you think they should make things the way they were? i liked the fact that the charecters could talk in ff-10 but it didn't feel like an RPG to me, i liked it when u could name your charecters, hey im not saying i like to read but it juz felt more realistic to me.....well do u guyz think final fantasy and square enix changed???
- please reply

Kirobaito
05-21-2004, 12:00 AM
In a way I agree with you. I fear that because of ALL the changes that are occurring, I may lose my interest in FF. The new games that are coming out have lost the feel of a video game, nearly. I would really like to see a new, 2D FF game that goes back to the style of the old ones. That would be my dream. Of course, it ain't gonna happen, but it still makes me feel sad to see the ways that the FF series is changing. Just everything seems so off...FFX was bad, because it was more of a movie than a game. I fear FFXII may be the same way. :(

DocFrance
05-21-2004, 12:40 AM
It's called "doing something different." FF I all the way through X saw very little changes in gameplay. I'd argue that they were really all just the same games with slightly different plots.

I, for one, am looking forward to something radically different from what we've been playing for the past fourteen years.

TasteyPies
05-21-2004, 12:47 AM
I agree with Bahamut and Will FF got popular with the old stuff, with all the changes its almost like its not FF anymore! It might as well be Devil may cry.......still going to buy though.

Ouch!
05-21-2004, 01:31 AM
"Shame on Square Enix for trying something new." I forgot who said that, but they were right. Shame on them.

The Captain
05-21-2004, 01:32 AM
I'm taking a wait and see approach. I'm very intrigued by the changes honestly and am hoping for the best. I've played all the games based mostly upon their plots and characters and thus far, FFXII doesn't look like it'll disappoint.

Take care all.

ZeZipster
05-21-2004, 01:51 AM
I don't believe this is a wrong turn, in any-way... After X-2, they can't do much to get me angry. I'm not going to complain about this game, because it is not that bad. It's not like they're defacing the classics in any way.

escobert
05-21-2004, 02:10 AM
I mean yes Ff was based on something new but I agree that they're changing it too much. They want it to look like a movie or real life. And fantasy just itsn't real. That's why it's called fantasy. I'll most likley buy the game but, I just don't know how I'm gonna feel about it. I have mixed emotions on the new FFs. I liked tactics advanced and CC. they had the feel of the older FFs but with new add ons and such.

Ouch!
05-21-2004, 02:34 AM
At this point, we have no reason to say that it's going to play like a movie. For all we know, it could be heavily gameplay oriented. Just because the visuals are astounding, doesn't mean the game is going to be any different from any of the other greats in the series. It's unfair to make a judgement about the game at this point, given relatively how little we know.

Daunte
05-21-2004, 06:09 AM
Have any of you played any of the other games Square has published? It sounds like no one here has. I have to agree that X and X-2 were lacking, even when compared to 9...but seriously, take a look at Secret of Mana or Seiken Densetsu 3, and you'll see where a lot of these play-forms are coming from.

The Captain
05-21-2004, 06:48 AM
Classic titles such as Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, and the like show how far Square has come, yet still can remain the same.

I believe that they have to change each new title, even a little bit because otherwise, they'll quickly run the well dry so to speak. To succeed in today's world and marketplace, you must always be re-inventing and re-creating yourself, so it seems that with every game, Square is attempting new things, while keeping certain things the same. So long as sales are steady, I'd say we'll always see new innovations. If sales for XII drop, then Square might go back to older styles, but otherwise, onward toward the future, be it for good or bad!

Take care all.

Del Murder
05-22-2004, 05:23 AM
They don't make them like they used to. Toying with the look and ability systems is one thing, but I agree that changing around the whole format for the game would make the series lose it's identity. I think FF is more of a style than a name, even though in reality it's just a couple words Square slaps on a box. I hope for another game like IX that takes you more to the old style. I'll still give these later games a chance, though since they are a hell of a company.

Whatever happened to the 2D platform side scroller?

Rase
05-24-2004, 12:12 AM
Whatever happened to the 2D platform side scroller?
They all went to the GBA.

Anyway, I liked the old ones more, but still feel that, like The Captain said, the must constantly be re-inventing it and tweaking it every so slightly or radically. If each game was the same, only with better graphics, it'd have been worn out long ago.

Del Murder
05-24-2004, 05:21 AM
They all went to the GBA.

Really? New ones?

Mo-Nercy
05-24-2004, 07:20 AM
Square is not only trying to satisfy a niche market of gamers that have been loyal to them from the beginning but they're also looking to tap into previously unmet demand in hopes of increasing profits and adding to the already massive fan base. After all these years, and with each passing game, Final Fantasy further adds to the risk of becoming stale and old. If Square had decided to stick with the same stuff over and over again, how long do you think FF would have lasted? 3? Maybe 4 sequels, considering how good a company Square is. But because they've changed FF so much, it has managed to stay pretty fresh for 15+ FF games spanning from NES to PS2/GC

In fact, I hope Square someday goes for a massive, radical change to Final Fantasy, not just the occasional tweak. You can tell they've already tried testing the water by working on other series and other genres to see if the public is interested (FFT, The Bouncer etc. etc.) And so far, we haven't really reacted much to anything else but the mainstream FFs, everything else seems a side project. But more likely than not, Square is looking for something to fall back on WHEN (not IF) Final Fantasy dies.

Cz
05-24-2004, 05:00 PM
Really? New ones?

Of course. It's got the word 'Advance' in the title. So it's a totally different game, duh!

I honestly don't see the problem with some of the changes that Square are making. I can't honestly say that I'll miss random battling, for example.
However, I do think that by constantly trying something new, they are alienating a loyal fanbase. I will most likely never play FFXI, as the online gaming 'revolution' is something that I don't want to be a part of right now. FFXII doesn't look as if it will be anything special (It's far too early to make a serious judgment, but from what I've seen and heard, it doesn't look too promising). FFX-2 was hopefully a one-off, because FF is not about bombarding the player with mini-games. If the series continues to go in this direction, I may well find myself giving up altogether.

Jenn
05-25-2004, 12:55 AM
I personally love the Graphix... but i'm going to make graphix so i guess that is why. I'd like to see them make FF more of an action game mixed with RPG. I think that would be cool... But hey that's just my opinion.

wilrod89
05-25-2004, 01:12 AM
what do you mean an action game mixed with RPG???? if square continues the way its going, then it will be nothing but an action game with no RPG in it...........final fantasy X didn't feel like an RPG to me..... its just how i feel......

Mo-Nercy
05-25-2004, 07:22 AM
what do you mean an action game mixed with RPG???? if square continues the way its going, then it will be nothing but an action game with no RPG in it...........final fantasy X didn't feel like an RPG to me..... its just how i feel......
I don't know how you could come to that conclusion. FFX was just as much RPG as any other FF, in some respects maybe even more. To me, the CTB battle system made every other FF I've played seem like an action game. True, it is a very linear game and it does make it feel sort of like an action game. (i.e. go through an area, fight boss, next stage etc.) and it was a bit unconventional but just because it doesn't always play like an RPG doesn't mean it's not one. Would you say the Zelda games are platformers not RPGs? I most certainly hope not. :eek:

DJZen
05-27-2004, 05:37 AM
The Zelda series always got thrown in the "adventure" category...

Seriously though, this thread is kinda funny to me. To me, FFVII is new-school. When new-school FFers talk about being miffed about the new-school, I get all confused. Also, if you think FF has ever been anything other than go through area, beat next boss, you're seriously fooling yourself. In fact, the gameplay mostly consists of pressing the A button over and over again. The only thing that's really changed is that now they seem to make the game press the A button for you, making things a little more simple. Hmmm.....

DMKA
07-17-2004, 07:06 PM
Personally, I'm all for originality. I was VERY impressed with all the new crap square tried with X-2 and I was very happy to see that their willing to try different things. I personally LOVED X-2's battle system as well, and I'm hoping for even more chaos in the next's games system.

But while I am all for originality and new stuff, I also fear FF losing its identity and then becoming something I don't like. I just hope it stays Final Fantasy thats all, and doesn't turn into something that doesn't even resemble its predessors.

I won't judge till I play though.

sephiroth21
07-18-2004, 05:18 AM
well square cant help it. each and every ff to thim has to be diffrent one way or another.