PDA

View Full Version : Is there any non xeno game that rivals the amount of emphasis put on story

darkchrono
05-21-2004, 07:57 AM
as it is for those two games.

Is their any other game out there that has as much or almost as much emphasis on the storyline as xenosaga or xenogears has.

Erdrick Holmes
05-21-2004, 01:44 PM
Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2.

aeris2001x2
05-21-2004, 06:49 PM
yes definitly, and the legacy of kain seris are fantastic 2. soul reaver 2 for example is the most beautifully written game ever made.

p.s- metal gear solid 2's story is SO much better then the original.

The Captain
05-21-2004, 07:26 PM
RPG Maker has the potential to be better, if you wish to spend years writing the story.

Take care all.

Doomgaze
05-21-2004, 08:42 PM
I'd say Xenogears is pretty much the peak of story above all else, but... hm. You might like the Suikoden series, especially II - IF you can find it.

Lindy
05-21-2004, 09:31 PM
Yup, Xenogears is tip-top in story terms, heck, the second disc was pretty much JUST story (which in a way was a small let down), and it left every loose end tied up.

Except..Shevat crash landed? I never remember seeing that happen in the game, must have missed it I guess, but then I made sure to watch every single part of everything.

Doomgaze
05-21-2004, 09:36 PM
I think it crashed when Id busted out of prison. That's one of the things the game kind of ignores - the other is a general lack of information about what happened between Sophia's death and the defeat of the Diabalos

Lindy
05-21-2004, 09:46 PM
Oh well, let's just ignore the plot holes and just go back to the fact that CITAN GETS AN AWESOME SWORD.

Oh yeah baby. Citan sure is the best, Fei would be better if his 7AP technique wasn't Dark Elemental.

Doomgaze
05-21-2004, 09:54 PM
Fei doesn't even come close to matching Citan on foot. It's a shame Fenrir isn't good enough to keep up with its pilot.

Lindy
05-21-2004, 10:00 PM
Weltall-2 vs. Xenogears?

I got very attached to System Id, but then, the free hyper mode in Xenogears is nice, but taking three turns to build up makes things awkward. Then again, with a natural hyper mode, you can use that status effect extension accessory and boost it's effects to 6 turns, right? And you can't do that with System Id.

Oh, and Weltall-2 vs. Xenogears in the battle arena game. We all have to admit that Xenogears is VERY cheap in that, what with the hand lasers and all.

Casey
05-22-2004, 06:07 AM
xenogears deserves a forum i tell u. Like xenogears/xenosaga/xenosaga episode 2/ episode 3 cmon ppl plz.

We all have to admit that Xenogears is VERY cheap in that, what with the hand lasers and all.

edit: spoiler

Cuz Fei is the contact and he has become one with his gear. Thats why he can pilot the thing and use his mental chi power or whatever to shhooot those things. Welltall-2 look cool to in system id, but xenogears all the way, ulimate gear that has the ''power of a thousand gears, with a shake of 1 fist'':D UBER PWNAGE! pwn! What~

Doomgaze
05-22-2004, 06:43 AM
"System Id" would be a spoiler, y'know. Speaking of that, I wish there was more of Xenogears-ID(probably not its real name). That thing kicked ass.

Lindy
05-22-2004, 07:56 PM
Pssh, forget Id's Gear I want Grahf's Weltall. I forget the real name but...Bat wings! Awesomeness! Was it Alpha-Weltall?

Oh, and I think Tales Of Phantasia has a pretty decent story too, not quite as good as Xenogears, but it does develop on the characters and ties up all the loose ends and that.

Casey
05-22-2004, 07:58 PM
Hey guys what about Star Wars! Star Wars has a good story! :p An the movies kick arsh to..

System Id
05-23-2004, 12:04 AM
"System Id" would be a spoiler, y'know.

Cool, I'm a spoiler! This definitely means that I should get the power of invisibility.

xenogears deserves a forum i tell u. Like xenogears/xenosaga/xenosaga episode 2/ episode 3 cmon ppl plz.

YESYESYESYESYES.

The Man
05-23-2004, 03:30 AM
I agree with Doomgaze's suggestion of the Suikoden series, especially II.

Felldoh
05-23-2004, 04:59 AM
I'd say Silent Hill II. I have yet to find a game that, in my opinion, matches Silent Hill II's story and the way it was told.

Lord Chainsaw
05-23-2004, 09:57 PM
Legend of Mana! For great justice!

darkchrono
05-26-2004, 07:31 AM
hmmm, I played silent hill 2 for awhile and all it seemed to me was a game where you just go and hack and slash at zombies.

There was hardly any character interaction during the time I played it. So I got real bored of just killing zombies and just decided to quit and havn't started it up again since.

Doomgaze
05-26-2004, 07:47 AM
I've played Silent Hill(the first one), and I'll have to agree. Best survival horror game I've ever played, but that's really not saying much - I dislike the genre. It really is just shooting zombies all day long.

aeris2001x2
05-26-2004, 10:49 AM
except silent hill does not have any zombies duh!!! resident evil has the zombies.

i say again, soul reaver 2/soul reaver defiance and metal gear solid 1/2.

Felldoh
05-26-2004, 11:50 AM
Well, exactly how long have you played it then? The beefy parts of the story don't come to the end really, and even then the story will probably suck unless you actually think about what all the things you seen in the game mean. I like the story because it is overflowing with symbolism and unlike most games you actually have to think about the plot instead of having it handed to you on a silver plater. I also love the major plot twist near the end... it's then you realise James' mission to Silent Hill was much more than it seemed to be.

aeris2001x2
05-26-2004, 12:59 PM
yeah silent hill 2;s story ruled. it was even more impressive considering that silent hill 1,s story was incoherent babble.

man u just reminded me, i still have not started my dilent hill 2 directors cut yet, and i,ve had it a year :confused:

Vermachtnis
05-26-2004, 01:32 PM
The .Hack series as a great story if your willing to spend all that money.

Felldoh
05-26-2004, 11:34 PM
I thought Silent Hill I had a great story, it just was hard to understand and catch on to. Play Silent Hill III after I and I's plot will be alot clearer.

Germ Hamee
05-27-2004, 07:51 AM
I completely agree with the Silent Hill discussion. In my opinion, those games completely put Xenosaga to shame, plot-wise. Then again I always prefer the type of stories that assume you have a brain and skip the briefings. Much less insulting. ^.^

Behold the Void
05-27-2004, 04:29 PM
I hear the Onimusha series is good but I haven't had time to play it so I don't know.

aeris2001x2
05-27-2004, 05:24 PM
no, the onimusha seris is not a good story. not quite as bad as devil may cry2 but still bad. no where near as good as capcom's finest resident evil code veronica.