PDA

View Full Version : Overrated artist(s).

Breine
05-22-2004, 10:38 PM
Which artist(s) (Singers, bands, actors, directors etc.) do you think is/are overrated?

Kirobaito
05-22-2004, 10:42 PM
John Wayne (Proto had that thread awhile ago), and nearly every single pop and/or rap artist of today.

Lindy
05-22-2004, 10:44 PM
nearly every single pop and/or rap artist of today.
Or, more specifically. Eminem and D-12. Pure, unadulterated pony.

Dreamtiger42
05-22-2004, 10:54 PM
Id agree there, i hate boybands, the same crappy softy music from a four-six membered male band that look like they havnt hit pubety really annoys me, and its always the same sappy i cant live without u, ur the love of my life crap when u know really there only in a boy band to get laid! :mad2:

..... sorry, theirs just too many of them and some must be destroyed, i can stand a couple of em but there just too many!

Rye
05-22-2004, 10:56 PM
Avril Lavigne, Justin Timberlake, Hilary Duff (I cannot stress enough that she lacks good lyrics and more importantly: vocal talent) , 50 Cent, Chingy and any other hip-hop guys who like to talk about girl's asses and getting them into their hotel.

Oh yeah, and Good Charlotte and Simple Plan are annoying as hell and have no talent except the talent of wearing silly spiked bracelets and convincing millions of young teens to do the same.

Dreamtiger42
05-22-2004, 11:10 PM
I agree with all, except for good charlotte, i like them :) Im not into R&B its just...... :eep: eurgh! i dont see the music in it its just mainly done on computers isnt it? im more into rock music,somtimes german rock music! its helping me to learn the language :D

fire_of_avalon
05-23-2004, 02:25 AM
Well, besides the obvious, pop and semi pop stars out there, I think Sheryl Crow is grossly overrated, now anyway. Her music used to say something a little more than "I want to relive my youth! I want to relive my youth!"

Sorry, I know I'll be butchered for this, but Evanesence. I'll agree that their music is decent, but they aren't crossing any barriers or over stepping boundaries. They're not really innovators in any way.

James Cameron has always been overrated.

Most actors and actresses I can think of are overrated.

TasteyPies
05-23-2004, 02:40 AM
Norah Jones (spelling?) omg my art teacher pops in her CD every day during art class.....ugh...

There are my emotions whenever i hear her songs, in handy smily form.
:shoot: :frust: :-\ :x_x: :crying: :grr: :exdee: :| :grumble: :cry: :( :sweatdrop :sad: :crying2: :hot: :skull:

aeris2001x2
05-23-2004, 02:53 AM
[QUOTE=
Sorry, I know I'll be butchered for this, but Evanesence. I'll agree that their music is decent, but they aren't crossing any barriers or over stepping boundaries. They're not really innovators in any way.
QUOTE]

i love evanescence, but most of my friends dont so it dont really bother me. they are my favourate band in the world though.

i would say good charlotte, slipknot, deftones, red hot chilli pepers, offspring, iron maiden, motorhead...god theres lots.

Phil
05-23-2004, 03:01 AM
Hillary Duff- shes an actor who THINKS she can sing.
Dave Matthews Band- they just generally blow
N Sync- Same as above
Little John- he had one good song
The guy who sings Ice Ice baby Ice- okay I can say Ice like 300 times, but do I get a record? NO

TasteyPies
05-23-2004, 03:10 AM
Vincent you mean.....that Vanila ice guy?

Mr. Graves
05-23-2004, 03:29 AM
Anything popular. The exception is Tool/A Perfect Circle. They're pretty good.

Germ Hamee
05-23-2004, 05:14 AM
I would agree that most pop/rap stars are over-rated, but oddly most of the people I run into agree that such musicians suck horribly. So I guess I can't really say that I have really noticed any over-rating of them...

But I think Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Metallica are horribly, horribly, horribly over-rated.

Del Murder
05-23-2004, 05:34 AM
Picasso.

Felldoh
05-23-2004, 05:42 AM
I completely agree with Reyn. All my friends worship those two bands like their gods, but I really don't like them.

Doomgaze
05-23-2004, 06:25 AM
Dammit, you people suck. There's some GREAT artists up there.

JOHN WAYNE. Christ, what are you, commies? WHY DO YOU HATE AMERICA

RHCP, The Offspring, Motorhead, Iron Maiden. PICASSO? You people suck. How the hell do you get off calling Evanescence your favorite band in the world and then badmout Motorhead? LEMMY IS GOD.

The Captain
05-23-2004, 07:15 AM
Dave Matthews Band may have the greatest saxophone player living or otherwise, and I adore Charlie Parker mind you, in Leroi Moore and has the greatest fusion/rock drummer of this era in Carter Beauford. Sure, the lyrics are trite, but so were The Beatles. The Band has raised more money for charities and schools than any other artist I've ever heard of. They have gained what appears to be a negative rep because they've become popular. In today's society, popular generally leads people to believe that a band or person has sold out, so to speak.

Overrated/underrated is a tough thing to call anyway because I assure you that personal taste rules the ultimate determination for a person. It's tough to give gratitude to anyone if you don't personally like them.

As for Norah Jones, I believe she is this generations last hope to have real music.

Have your tastes, and opinions, there's absolutely nothing wrong with them, but generally, not always, almost every artist or person has a redeemable quality to them, you've just got to look hard enough.

Take care all.

jrgen
05-23-2004, 11:43 AM
All bands who are regularly played on mtv.

Peegee
05-23-2004, 12:21 PM
All artists are overrated, imho. Just listen to what you like

Mikztsu
05-23-2004, 10:48 PM
The Captain is right. It's just the matter of what you like and what you don't like, and following that logic I guess every artist that I don't like could be overrated in my eyes. :)

Kirobaito
05-23-2004, 11:00 PM
If you're wondering, I think communism is a great system in a utopian society, but unfortunately our society is not utopian, so it doesn't work.

And I think John Wayne is overrated because he was a horrible actor. The man showed no emotion on the screen; the reason that people think he's so good is, well...I'm not sure. He did a poor job of portraying his characters. That's it. And I think that's a good reason to think that he is overrated.

metCloud
05-23-2004, 11:18 PM

RHCP, The Offspring, Motorhead, Iron Maiden. PICASSO? You people suck. How the hell do you get off calling Evanescence your favorite band in the world and then badmout Motorhead? LEMMY IS GOD.

That suprises me too that someone said Motorhead is over-rated...I mean come on and Iron Maiden :eek: . They are not my favorite band but you certinly dont go to the mall and see posters...(OMG, buy this Motorhead Album and you will be so cool, Figgity n' shiggity fo yo peeps in da club).

Doh...Just listen to what you like and say ****-off to the people that joke you for it, or dont like it. I like Metallica...Yes very over-rated, but its all about what you like.

The Captain
05-24-2004, 05:25 AM
They're not overrated to you personally if you enjoy them. Just because "popular culture" deems something overrated doesn't mean it tis. As others have said, enjoy what you want for whatever reason you want, there's plenty out there to see and hear.

Take care all.

Silmaril
05-24-2004, 02:59 PM
Hilary Duff: The Lizzie Maguire (spelling is wrong, i know) Movie was corny and stupid.

Brittany Spears: Do not like her.

Most boy bands.

Skogs
05-24-2004, 09:58 PM
Overrated bands? The two that spring to mind for me are Queen and the Beatles.

muchacho
05-25-2004, 02:15 AM
friggen simple plan and new found glory. every time i hear these twats sing with their girlish high voice i wanna punch them in the face and tell them to grows some Fk'in balls.

i think hilary duff is hot, but her music still sucks.

EDIT: AND THOSE FRIGGEN OLSEN TWINS

Phil
05-25-2004, 03:02 AM
The Olsen Twins are hott but annoying. Thier movies consist of the following plot every time

1. Go buy something
2. have it stolen
3. find the guy who stole it with the help of a basset hound/cute animal
4. learn a life lesson
5. buy more stuff and go home.

Its crappy movie making skills that keep them in business.

Rye
05-25-2004, 12:11 PM
The guy who sings Ice Ice baby Ice- okay I can say Ice like 300 times, but do I get a record? NO

Vanilla Ice! xD

Rostum
05-25-2004, 12:18 PM
Pete Murray, another Sony manufacture artist... just listen to his lyrics, you'll get the idea.

aeris2001x2
05-25-2004, 07:56 PM

because imho all there songs sound like the ace of spades and that song sucks. also most of my friendsrate them, which drives me insane which is why i say there over rated.

i prefer classical music and evanescence is classically based, espically there early demo stuff, some of which is praticulary all out piano concerto's. i dont have to conform to other ppl in what i like.

offspring...ok, not my thing and very samey, iron maiden, a few good songs, very samey, .

also theres ac/dc, that all sounds the same. korn i like but are not THAT good. bon jovi, alice in chains, all pop/rap.

i would agree late metallica is over rated. st anger sucks, load sucks. but the classics like ride the lighting, master of puppets, black albulm and reload r godly. if there over rated in that ppl say there the best thing since sliced bread then your right. but they r one of the best bands ever.

muchacho
05-25-2004, 08:33 PM
the olsen twins were so hot when they were on the tv show...... full house i think

escobert
05-25-2004, 09:16 PM
They were like 12.Ewww.

Sage
05-25-2004, 09:42 PM
I hate ALL rap and hip-hop more than anything else. But I also hate soulless manufactured pop and bands such as The Thrills and Snow Patrol who are as bland and uninteresting as it gets.

jrgen
05-25-2004, 09:54 PM
the olsen twins were so hot when they were on the tv show...... full house i think
wtf?

Breine
05-25-2004, 10:23 PM

You are scaring me! They were kids back then!

Doomgaze
05-26-2004, 06:13 AM
They were like 12.Ewww.

escobert
05-26-2004, 12:14 PM
Whatever. They were 12 in one of there many shows or movies or something.

fire_of_avalon
05-26-2004, 05:17 PM
I think he was being sarcastic.

Kurt Loder is overrated.

muchacho
05-26-2004, 05:45 PM
I think he was being sarcastic.

glad someone got that joke

Doomgaze
05-26-2004, 06:37 PM
or maybe some of us don't feel the need to post "hur hur he useded sarcasm" every time someone makes a joke

Imperia
05-27-2004, 05:18 PM
Oooh, let's see... Hilary Duff is definitely overrated, the Olsen Twins (they can't think any NEW movie ideas!!), Ray Romano, Britney Spears, Jennifer Lopez (why couldn't she just stay with acting???), Eminem, many of the rap artists... Julia Roberts, Vin Deisel, and anyone else I can't think of.

Polaris
05-27-2004, 05:22 PM
Eminem, 50 Cent, Nelly.

Britney got over with Toxic! The music is funny but the videoclip :(

aeris2001x2
05-27-2004, 05:27 PM
she is so hot in that video though. :D though not quite as cute as she was in that school uniform :tongue:

the darkness, if they have broke the usa yet, pray they dont... :eep:

Polaris
05-27-2004, 05:30 PM
she is so hot in that video though. :D though not quite as cute as she was in that school uniform :tongue:

Well, I like the music, but Me against the music, was terrible and she is coming to Rock in Rio!

Cher; Justin.

Doomgaze
05-28-2004, 05:26 AM
"the darkness, if they have broke the usa yet, pray they dont... "

They have, they rocked hard for, oh, a couple of weeks, and then got old. Yep.

Emerald Aeris
05-28-2004, 05:53 AM
"Overrated bands? The two that spring to mind for me are Queen and the Beatles."

"i love evanescence...also theres ac/dc, that all sounds the same"

*melts and dies*

fire_of_avalon
05-28-2004, 08:35 AM
or maybe some of us don't feel the need to post "hur hur he useded sarcasm" every time someone makes a joke
*stab* :p

Zell's Fists of Fury
05-28-2004, 03:03 PM
Linkin Park, Evenesence, and while I'm at it, Lord of the Rings.

That oughta piss off a few of you.

jrgen
05-28-2004, 03:46 PM
Yeah, that Lord of the rings guy sucks.

aeris2001x2
05-28-2004, 04:07 PM
final fantasy I is SO over rated, its far from the best ff, nearer the bottom imho. :D

DocFrance
05-28-2004, 05:58 PM
I'd say Nickelback is really overrated. Everyone seems to love them, but I think all their songs sound exactly the same.

Counting Crows are pretty underrated. I'd put good money on them being one of the best rock bands of the 90's.

Germ Hamee
05-28-2004, 07:25 PM
...well if we're talking outside of music now, into generally over-rated entertainment: I'd have to say Final Fantasy in general is IMMENSELY over-rated. >.< As well as Hayao Miyazaki.

aeris2001x2
05-28-2004, 11:51 PM
actually final fantasy is immensly UNDER RATED, in uk its all racing, sports, beat em up, mario, zelda, first person shooter, that gets the head lines.

and is that the guy who did princess monokoke and spirted away animes? if so he is very under rated.

Montoya
05-28-2004, 11:57 PM
"I think anything that anyone likes besides me is overated because I am jeauous of all the attention they recieve because it isn't centered around me" :p

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
05-29-2004, 12:19 AM
Justin timberlake
Hillary duff
Olsen twins
Brittany Spears
Avril Lavinge
Ben and Jen

oh what the heck i'll add in Orlando Bloom !

Shoeberto
05-29-2004, 03:23 AM
The Rolling Stones

Seriously, I've seen people go like "BEST BAND FREAKING EVER!" but I've never heard a song I've liked by them.

And Beatles, too. It's not that they're bad, it's just that - at least compared to music since - they didn't do anything terrible interesting.

escobert
05-29-2004, 06:05 AM
the only rolling stone song I liked was paint it black

fire_of_avalon
05-29-2004, 06:31 AM
I have to agree with Reyn about Miyazaki here. Don't get me wrong, Princess Mononoke was beautiful, but Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service aren't nearly as good as they could've been.

Rigormortis
05-29-2004, 01:45 PM
:mad2: OZZY OSBOURNE! :mad2: He is supposed to be this brilliant rockstar with an awesome voice, but he sucks, he is absolutely terrible. Dare I say it, James Hetfield is better! :eek:

Felldoh
05-29-2004, 02:07 PM
I have to agree with Reyn about Miyazaki here. Don't get me wrong, Princess Mononoke was beautiful, but Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service aren't nearly as good as they could've been.

Wow. Someone else has finally seen the light. I loved Princess Mononoke/Hime, but I didn't really like Spirited Away. I don't think it deserves all the "Best Anime Movie Ever!" praise it gets. I liked Spriggan, Akira, Mononoke Hime, Cowboy Bebop: Knockin on Heaven's Door, and many others over Spirited Away.

aeris2001x2
05-29-2004, 02:42 PM
dont get me wrong, spirited away is overated but the guy himself isnt. spirited away maybe be beaten by the cowboy bebop seris, akira and princess monokoke (spriggren was crap though) but spirited away is still a top 15 anime imho.

Felldoh
05-29-2004, 03:40 PM
Now that I think of it more, Spriggan was just one of those anime... I don't quite know if I liked it or hated it. It had some awesome fight scenes, but the plot wasn't really that good, and plot is generally much more important to me than flashy fight scenes. I guess you're also right on how I don't think Miyazaki himself is overrated, it's more Spirited Away. I haven't seen Kiki's Delivery Service or Castle in the Sky so I can't really judge him after seeing only two of his movies.

Bernhard
05-29-2004, 05:39 PM
Sex Pistols.

Germ Hamee
05-29-2004, 10:17 PM
I get kind of sick of everyone praising Miyazaki as "the master of animation", and every thing he touches is instantly deemed a classic just because it has his trademark style and name on it. Of his movies, I've seen Mononoke, Castle in the Sky, and Spirited Away... two of which were the most boring things I'd seen in my life. x_X But I loved Mononoke.

*sigh*

Skogs
05-30-2004, 12:42 AM
Rolling Stones over-rated? Ok, this is an opinions thread... but still. :mad2: Paint It Black, Sympathy for the Devil, Jumping Jack Flash, Wild Horses, Angie... all great songs!

And I stand by my opinion that the Beatles were overrated. They were frankly boring. George Harrison was the only member that bround anything interesting to the band.

black orb
05-30-2004, 05:05 AM
>>> Miyazaki isnt overrated..

Breine
05-30-2004, 11:21 AM
James Cameron is overrated. The only good movies he has made are the two 'Terminator' movies.

jrgen
05-30-2004, 12:21 PM
Rolling Stones over-rated? Ok, this is an opinions thread... but still. :mad2: Paint It Black, Sympathy for the Devil, Jumping Jack Flash, Wild Horses, Angie... all great songs!
I know bands that have more then 5 good songs and still doesn't sell as much cds as Rolling Stones.

Rigormortis
05-30-2004, 04:02 PM
There r a number of extremely overrated songs out there.
Although these are good, they are not brilliant, and are by no means the bands' best songs, contrary to belief. :mad:
Stairway To Heaven,
Sweet Child o' mine,
Highway To Hell,
to name but a few....
undefined (all I can think of at this moment in time)

An overrated tv prog would also be Only Fools and Horses, sure it's great but not the best. It should never have won Britain's Best Sitcom, but it was inevitable, unfortunately. :mad2:

jrgen
05-31-2004, 04:39 PM
Black Sabbat - Ironman
is really bad and still their most famous song.

muchacho
06-01-2004, 01:17 AM
There r a number of extremely overrated songs out there.
Although these are good, they are not brilliant, and are by no means the bands' best songs, contrary to belief. :mad:
Stairway To Heaven,
Sweet Child o' mine,
Highway To Hell,
to name but a few....

STAIRWAY?????? i love that song, but everyone has opinons

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
06-04-2004, 02:06 PM
Rolling Stones over-rated? Ok, this is an opinions thread...

....what thread isnt mate?

muchacho
06-05-2004, 02:03 AM
this thread is over rated

aeris2001x2
06-05-2004, 05:03 AM
it maybe overposted but who has rated this thread? no one, so it cant be over rated...

Freya Coral
06-06-2004, 04:37 AM
All bands who are regularly played on mtv.

Amen to that! TRL should stand for Total Rubbish Live.

Overrated bands/actors:
Justin Timberfake
Olsen twins
Hilary Duff
Britney Spears
Any boy band. Guys that sing like they haven't hit puberty yet annoy me to no end.
Avril Lavinge. She's more Punky Brewster than punk.
Limp Bizkit. Especially Fred Durst. :mad2:
Slipknot

Too many others to name! :D

Breine
06-06-2004, 05:20 PM
Hmm, Jennifer Lopez is an overrated artist. Mostly as an actor though.

Meow
06-06-2004, 06:41 PM
This thread makes me think of Radiohead, but i can't say they're particularly overrated because i'm of the opinion they make fantastic music. However, i feel folks obsess over the band, and often around superficial interest in the music from almost neurotic foundations. Those English chaps could record themselves farting into paper bags and almost certainly meet overwhelming critical acclaim.

Rinoabella
06-06-2004, 09:43 PM
Jessica Simpson.

LH
06-06-2004, 11:57 PM
Slipknot

Have you heard the new album? I think it may make you change your mind the way it made me.

jrgen
06-07-2004, 09:25 AM
No matter how good their newest album is, they're nevertheless overrated.

aeris2001x2
06-07-2004, 09:56 AM
i,ve only heard there first single from this new albulm and did,nt think much of it at all. cory taylor should sitck with stone sour...bother(the song about mortality) was class.

Meow
06-08-2004, 07:25 PM
In my experience, there are more people who dislike Slipknot than enjoy them. i mean, any band with a decidedly conventional take on their genre is going to have its set of rabid fans, but with Slipknot, their fanbase doesn't seem to extend much past the fanatics. Their brand of music is like a more marketable version of a couple different underground/hardcore metal styles, and as such they're shunned by metal enthusiasts for being weak as well as by the popular scene for being abrasive. Being too tame for metal yet too extreme for mainstream is only going to get you so far, but to carry a niche like that is probably going to get you fans that are very loud about it. And i think it's fair to say that a band like that would usually attract some folks that are just loud in the first place.

"Overrated" implies a certain ubiquity of acclaim, which Slipknot doesn't have. They just happen to have an average base of strong support.

Miriel
06-08-2004, 09:26 PM
How can the Olsen Twins be overrated if no one even likes them? Their last movie tanked in the worst way possible and didn't even make enough money to cover the cost of marketing the movie, much less the production cost.

Same thing goes for Ben and Jenn, both of them have been consistently blasted for having little or no talent and their last movie together was more of a joke than anything else.

I think people are confusing being over saturated in the media to being overrated.

Breine
06-11-2004, 12:10 PM
Hmm, you have a point there Miriel...

About Jennifer Lopez (which I listed as an overrated artist): I've heard many people say that they like her and that she's good, but the reason I really posted her in this thread is because of her salary. She's one of the highest paid in Hollywood! And therefore also overrated.

muchacho
06-11-2004, 05:00 PM
hey everybody, "j-lo" is geting married again. what big and unsuspecting news that was

Breine
06-12-2004, 10:42 AM
Yeah, I heard the news the other day. The soon to be former husband is singer Marc Anthony.

starlet
06-12-2004, 03:28 PM
I don't know if its me, but I think music is going down the tubes.....what happened to the days of good metal? now all there is is good charlette and blink 182...I feel sorry for this generations kids with music.

what happened to nine inch nails? I think trents coming out with a new album this year...hopefully it's true!

oh yeah..Picasso's not overrated! He came up with a uniqe style that someone could look at and say "yep....that's picasso"...saying he's overrated is like saying Snomans' work is overrated.

muchacho
06-12-2004, 09:12 PM
all the good metal is underground

jrgen
06-12-2004, 10:37 PM
what happened to the days of good metal?
The days of good metal is now.
You just have to look for it in other places then the media.

Breine
06-13-2004, 02:24 PM
Jrgen, are you talking about German metal... If you are, then it could be interesting to get a hold of some of it.

jrgen
06-13-2004, 09:36 PM
Jrgen, are you talking about German metal... If you are, then it could be interesting to get a hold of some of it.
Of course I'm talking about german metal. :D
Most of it is pretty hard to get a hold of on Kazaa and the likes.
Especially in decent quality.
You're biggest chance to get it is buying or downloading from Soulseek.

Although I could send you some if you want.

Freya Coral
06-14-2004, 05:26 AM
Yeah, I heard the news the other day. The soon to be former husband is singer Marc Anthony.

Does the word "home wrecker" mean anything to anyone? :mad2:

I didn't have much respect for J-Lo to begin with, but after this, I've completely lost respect for her.

Kuecari
06-14-2004, 07:49 AM
Bands like Limp Bizkit, KoRn, Simple Plan, Outkast, Chevelle, Incubus and such all fall under the category in discussion. Let it be known I think the use of the word 'artist' and its host derivative somewhat hilarious.

Sephex
06-14-2004, 08:30 AM
I can't believe no one said this one yet...

Paris Hilton.

She's not hot. Really.

Rusty
06-14-2004, 09:52 AM
Oh yea! Forgot about paris, yea she's over rated along with hilary duff...boy bands..and good charlotte.