PDA

View Full Version : Hero Survey

Venomistus
05-23-2004, 02:40 AM
I'm posting this survey as part of my High School English term project, hoping to compare the data generated with that of the template I've drawn up for the literary hero. It's crunch time, so I'd love if as many of you as possible gave this sucker a once-over within the next several hours for the sake of this wretched newb! Thanks

HERO QUESTIONNAIRE

1) Who is/was a hero in your mind and what was his/her role in society? (Real or historic people only please. So no Marvel or DC superheroes or FF chars.)

2)What attributes do you find most admirable in your hero?

3)Who in your life/personal experience and how have they hero impacted your life, morals or ideals?

4)Is your hero a role model for you? If so, please elaborate. If not, do you simply respect and admire your hero based on their freakish ability to excel in a chosen field?

5)Are heroes necessary for society as a shining example of what one human can achieve? To show that the system actually works and produces these exceptional individuals?

6)Does the idea of a hero still exist in our society today? how is it different from what it was in the past?

7)Is heroism a relative term or are the feats of your hero so grand, that they transcend all boundaries?

8)Have you admired this hero all of your life? Please elaborate.

9)If you could have acted on behalf on your hero in a particular situation, how might you have acted differently? Or would you have let the even play out the same way?

10)Do you believe that there is a general heroic template, or that each individual hero's attributes are unique and independent of all other heroic people?

Shlup
05-23-2004, 02:54 AM
Ai'ight.

1) Who is/was a hero in your mind and what was his/her role in society?
Oprah is a hero 'cause she bought black baby dolls for African children.

A strong need to make things better through giving.

3)Who in your life/personal experience and how have they hero impacted your life, morals or ideals?
Personal heros, like my grandparents who helped raise me when my dad left, helped shape who I am today. Without them I would be a different person, so they are heros to me just by their example.

4)Is your hero a role model for you? If so, please elaborate. If not, do you simply respect and admire your hero based on their freakish ability to excel in a chosen field?
[b]Yes. I don't really see anyone who excels at a sport or skill to be a hero, unless you see giving as a skill.

5)Are heroes necessary for society as a shining example of what one human can achieve? To show that the system actually works and produces these exceptional individuals?
Yes, otherwise life would completely suck and not be worth living.

6)Does the idea of a hero still exist in our society today? How is it different from what it was in the past?
Legendary heros seem to revolve around violence, like war heros or someone who killed a bad person. I don't really see any glorious war heros today, just people who display great deals of compassion.

7)Is heroism a relative term or are the feats of your hero so grand, that they transcend all boundaries?
The latter...

I've admired my grandparents all my life, yes. They've always been there for me and made me feel good about myself.

9)If you could have acted on behalf on your hero in a particular situation, how might you have acted differently? Or would you have let the even play out the same way?
I can't think of any situation this would apply to.

10)Do you believe that there is a general heroic template, or that each individual hero's attributes are unique and independent of all other heroic people?
I believe there are several hero templates. The warrior hero, the comassionate hero, the sports hero, the hero that made some great medicine, etc.

Phil
05-23-2004, 02:56 AM
1) Who is/was a hero in your mind and what was his/her role in society? (Real or historic people only please. So no Marvel or DC superheroes or FF chars.)

George Washington- presedent

He wanted freedom for all enough to lead an army full of people who had no clue against an empire

I dont understand this entirely so i'll give 2 awnsers
My dad is a big hero to me. He stands up for what he beleives in no matter what.
George washington effects me in the sense that he provided me with freedom over the ages by setting up a government and fighting Britton.

I like Washington because he figts for others rights and to help all in common good- which is what I TRY to do as well

Yes; yes, heroes ar needed to show they work in their system as well and are used to produce exceptional individuals from themeselves. In a sense they set a standard that others should follow

6)Does the idea of a hero still exist in our society today? how is it different from what it was in the past?

Yes it still exists- it differs in the fact that some want heroes for personal gain to help them, not others and the worlds common good

Its hard to describe. George washtington set examples for many many people, so in essence he did extend boundaries and became the first real american hero

yes- george has always been a hero of mine because of his feats in the revolutionary war.

I have never really undergone a situation in which I could have imitated george washington. There have been times that I have done things that hurt others for my personal gain like telling a lie, in which I would have liked to have tried to be like george by acting for the common good

Heroes are individual. They all do things that set them apart and thats why they are heroes. If they were all the same, hero would become an overused term.

TasteyPies
05-23-2004, 03:05 AM
1) A man who served in Vietnam, i read his diary last year. He helped his comrades in combat, both physicly and mentaly through companionship.

2) Morals, Humor, Inteligence and a respect for mankind. A person who can look troubles in the eye and confront them to their fullest while still keeping a smile on his friends faces.

3).....what?

4) Yes, abilities dont make a hero, its how they use them.

5) No i dont think Heros directly impact our society. Because a hero can arise from anywhere and dont set the standard for where they come from. I dont think any place should be rated for its best/worst individual.

6) Yes, But heros now are just poeple that were in wars. I cant speak for the past or even know how far back you want me to referance but i hope that heros were seen as people who went above and BEYOND the call of duty not people who were just there.

7) B

8) No just for about a year as I said.

9) I doubt i could do any better messing with luke the gook (spelling?) :D A realy realy realy bad sniper on the other side, US troops took turns sprinting across the base, doing spins and rolls, and holding up helmets on twigs for luke to shoot at. (poor guy)

10) B

zacks_clone
05-23-2004, 03:55 AM

One of my cousins, who I still dont know the name of.

He is/was in the United States Army, trying to help straighten things out in other countrys.(Atleast...Thats what I was always told)

I always found my friends to be my heros, along with my parents. They would always be there to help me and pull me through no matter what. I dont care if they got mad at me or if my friends would play stupid mind games and take my lunch money or hate me after awhile anymore. They helped me cope then and make me who I am though that. I like who I am, so...they are still a hero to me

My cousin, a hero to me still? Yeah. I think. But its hard for him to be a hero if I dont even know if hes alive anymore. Not to mention if i dont have much idea what hes doing. Who he is. I guess I need to go on believing he is my hero, even if what is said about him is a bunch of lies. I like the idea his heart is set on doing good, and that he is willing to join such things as the army to fight for what he thinks is right, his life on the line or not. I wish i could do that. I think...i could, if i needed to.

Heros are necessary. They drive people to do better, be better, try harder, and want so much more out of their lives. it gives them a better sense of what is right and wroung/ good and bad in their mind. It helps people to put life into perspective and set goals and values to have a hero.

I think in the past people have a hero to help them cope. Help them make themselves better. Make them relize that what they are doing is extrordanary. They would want to be exactly like that. A hero in a war who fights for power and land and such. The thought of glory and fame would ring in peoples head I believe. Today, i think people are more intrested in "real" heros. People who are great all around. Who help others despite themselves. Who go out of their way to do good.

Im not so sure...I think in my mind it would be the later, for I come up with all these grand things my hero must have done or surly would do. All the things people tell me create this grand person. In a sense, what he is doing is amazing...But i dont know much about him, so...I cant really say.

I havent admired this person all my life. My cousin i didnt know about untill I was about 10 years old. My friends...I could never concider real heros because I was picked on by them so much when we were 5 and 6 years old. I hated them, but they talked to me so I was happy. My parents I no longer think are my heros, but they are pretty close to it. As I grew up i relized some of the stuff they did was less then hero material. so, no. I havent.

Erm...I would have actually talked to my cousin on the phone and screamed "Hey,im here Im here!call me more often and tell me of your life and let me know your name!"...But that wouldnt have changed anything now I dont think...Come to think of it, if i could go back now and do that, i wouldnt. I love the way my life is right now...And I dont even know about his. im not sure if this is what you ment...

"Hero-A person noted for special achievement in a particular field." Everyones a hero in one way or another. the little girl that lives next door gives you a flower when you cry. Shes a hero. The man who called the animal controll on his neighbor because his neighbor was starving his animals. Hes a hero. The teenager who tells an adult about her friends cutting problume- She is a hero. The man who jumped infront of a bullet to save a man who he didnt even know-he is a hero. We are all heros in one way or another, big or small it doesnt mater. one little thing can be the diffence in your day and your life...So...Yes,i believe each individual is a hero and each is unique and independent

Mr. Graves
05-23-2004, 04:03 AM
1) Who is/was a hero in your mind and what was his/her role in society? (Real or historic people only please. So no Marvel or DC superheroes or FF chars.) Hmm. I'm going to be daring and go with Bill Clinton. He did many a good thing for society. It's a shame people crucify his for his acting on his stressful urges during his second term in office

Outgoing, Smart, good people skills, did good things for America

3)Who in your life/personal experience and how have they hero impacted your life, morals or ideals? I don't quite get the question, but not many people I've known has doing much of anything to be considered a "hero" in my eyes..

4)Is your hero a role model for you? If so, please elaborate. If not, do you simply respect and admire your hero based on their freakish ability to excel in a chosen field? Not really. He just did a great job running the U.S. in spite of his weaknesses being exploited.

5)Are heroes necessary for society as a shining example of what one human can achieve? To show that the system actually works and produces these exceptional individuals? It's always good to have role models.

6)Does the idea of a hero still exist in our society today? how is it different from what it was in the past? No. Any form of tabloid or press is hungry for anything that could tarnish their good image. Some go so far as to make stuff up.

7)Is heroism a relative term or are the feats of your hero so grand, that they transcend all boundaries? Pretty relative. It depends on the point of view. Most wouldn't agree that if you did good things for society as a whole, and/or save others' lives selfishlessly, they're heroes

8)Have you admired this hero all of your life? Please elaborate. No. Clinton wasn't elected until afterr my 10th birthday.

9)If you could have acted on behalf on your hero in a particular situation, how might you have acted differently? Or would you have let the even play out the same way? I lack the proper knowledge and credentials to lead the U.S.

10)Do you believe that there is a general heroic template, or that each individual hero's attributes are unique and independent of all other heroic people? See my answer to #7.

Rase
05-23-2004, 07:58 AM
HERO QUESTIONNAIRE

Robert the Bruce, King of Scotland. He freed Scotland from English tyranny after William Wallace (Braveheart) failed.

Stronged willed, courages, honorable, religious, ambitious.

My parents have impacted my life, morals, and beliefs a lot, and I'm glad they did.

Well, I'm not going to go around killing people woth a broadsword. But I do wish to be more like the other side of him. Strong willed, ambitious, courages... I wish I could be these things or at leats be more of them.

They are necessary to motivte more common people to acheive greater heights.

Well, people are still called heroes for doing courages acts, such as rescuing someone. But I think it is different form the old days, since many heros then were heroes of war.

Well, for my hero, I think that his feats would be too much for many people. Not many can rally an entire nation to fight one of the strongest at the time, or lead an army of 500 foot soldier again 500 cavalry and 1000 troops and win.

Since I was 12, when I learned about him.

I would have to say I wouldn't have done it. I'm not that strong in that area.

I believe they are all unique.

Calliope
05-24-2004, 05:50 AM
1) Who is/was a hero in your mind and what was his/her role in society? (Real or historic people only please. So no Marvel or DC superheroes or FF chars.) I have so so so many, but today I'll go with Vincent Van Gogh :love:

2)What attributes do you find most admirable in your hero? Five times a failure before he was twentyfive, but he just kept going.

3)Who in your life/personal experience and how have they hero impacted your life, morals or ideals? Who have I met? Hm...Elizabeth Wilson; English Professor. Her presence is inspiring.

4)Is your hero a role model for you? If so, please elaborate. If not, do you simply respect and admire your hero based on their freakish ability to excel in a chosen field? Sure never give up, be good to people. Ladida.

5)Are heroes necessary for society as a shining example of what one human can achieve? To show that the system actually works and produces these exceptional individuals? Uh...none of my heroes are role models of 'the system', actually...they were mostly shunned by society's leaders and ended up dead...

6)Does the idea of a hero still exist in our society today? how is it different from what it was in the past? Heroes certainly exist today, but their functions differ and are probably more practical and less glamourous than those of the past.

7)Is heroism a relative term or are the feats of your hero so grand, that they transcend all boundaries? Relative term...VINCENT IS BUTTERING HIS TOAST OMG MY HERO~

8)Have you admired this hero all of your life? Please elaborate. Most of it. I have a soft spot for martyrs :D

9)If you could have acted on behalf on your hero in a particular situation, how might you have acted differently? Or would you have let the even play out the same way? I probably wouldn't be strong enough to do a tithe of what he did during his lifetime.

10)Do you believe that there is a general heroic template, or that each individual hero's attributes are unique and independent of all other heroic people? They have similar attributes, but I don't think there is a 'template'. Everyone's strengths, weaknesses and circumstances are different :D

Rusty
05-24-2004, 10:16 AM
HERO QUESTIONNAIRE

Well I wouldnt go as far as hero but I really admired Leonardo Da vinci. He was a inventor, painter etc.

His artwork, brillant.

3)Who in your life/personal experience and how have they impacted your life, morals or ideals?

I dont think anyone has really had a huge impact on me, but many people have affected my morals and ideals in different ways.

Nah Leonardo's not a role model for me I just respect and admire him.

For people who lack in self knowledge, you shouldn't have to have people who are a shining example to get you motivated.

6)Does the idea of a hero still exist in our society today? how is it different from what it was in the past? To a extent, people ar being labeled heros everywhere. And they really didnt do that much to achieve it either.

No and what does transcend mean?

Not all my life...

I would have keep it the same way.

everyone is unique.

Venomistus
05-25-2004, 06:05 PM
Thanks to those who completed the survey. I'm presentin this sucker tomorrow.

Rase
05-26-2004, 01:09 AM
Good luck!

Doc Sark
05-28-2004, 11:53 AM

Steven Gerrard, Footballer, Captain of Liverpool F.C and jewel in the crown of the English national side.

He is determined, motivated, modest, has respect for his opponents and his superiors, is highly skilled at what he does, is a great athlete, he is fearless and he inspires others.

My morals are handed down to me by my parents and by society. From these I formed my own ideals so really no one person has impacted heavily on these aspects of my life.

Yeah my hero is role model for me. I can never be like him because I am nowhere near as good as him at football but I can take some of the aspects that make him a good hero and import them into my own life.

Yes. Without heroes I think many people would lose sight of something to aim for.

Heroes today don't go round slaying dragons and the like. There are similar examples, for instance when a soldier comes home from war he can be considered a hero. Most of our well publicised heroes these days come off of the sporting fields of the world, it is the equivalent of the roman gladiators I guess. As illustrated by David Beckham co. in a recent Pepsi advert.

I think it's a relative term. It's impossible to transcend boundaries in my opinion, but they can be stretched.

I have always admired him as an accomplished football player but really only this season has he acquired hero status for me. He picked Liverpool F.C up and dragged them out of the gutter when Houllier made him Captain. If he continues in this vein for the rest of his career he will go down in history with Pele, Beckenbauer, Baresi, Maradona, Bobby Moore, Jack Charlton, and other footballing legends.

I wouldn't have missed the penalty against Fulham :) ! It doesn't mater though, it wasn't a costly miss. Ask me after Euro 2004.

I think that all heroes need drive, influence, and to excel at something. Be it sport or philanthropy, whatever.