PDA

View Full Version : Extracting FMVs and/or Cut-scenes from the Disk

shakeelw
05-24-2004, 07:21 AM
Hi!
Anybody here know how to extract the FMV's and / or cut-scenes from the FFX-2 disc?

Shakeel :)

Rostum
05-24-2004, 09:19 AM
You'll need a DVD player on your computer... not sure about anything else though, some sort of ripper program.

angelstarfire
11-07-2005, 02:08 AM
This is a long process, but it's WORTH IT. If you have problems, E-mail me at: angelstarfire_hikarist@yahoo.com. I have all the programs, so if you can't find one I can send it to you.

I'm a member of other forums and someone sent this to me and I thought that I would share it with you. It doesn't work with Kingdom Hearts yet, but does work with FFX-2 and might work with FFX. I did this myself and it can take up to a couple hours. If you have any questions feel free to contact me any way you want. Hope you enjoy.

How to rip PS2 FMV/PSS files.

PS2 game FMVs are encoded on the disc as PSS files. Some programs can easily find them but for games like Final Fantasy X and X-2, they are hidden. This guide should help you rip footage that is hidden.

Programs you need:
DVD Decrypter (http://www.dvddecrypter.com/)
PSS Plex (http://www.zophar.net/utilities/download/pssplex110setupfull.exe)
The file splitter (http://www.dekabyte.com/filesplitter/)
Nova software extractor (http://www.volny.cz/nova-software/)
MF Audio (Removed the MF Audio link)
DVD2AVI (http://www.divx-digest.com/software/dvd2avi.html)
Virtualdub (Divx/Xvid encoding) (http://www.virtualdub.org/)
Tmpegenc (MPEG encoding) (http://www.pegasys-inc.com/)

Step 1: Ripping the PS2 Disc
Put in your PS2 disc into your DVD-ROM/DVD Burner then run DVD Decrypter. Go to "Mode", then "ISO" and choose "Read". Then rip it to your hard drive by choosing "file" > "Decrypt". You should now have a large PS2 game ISO on your hard drive.

Step 2: Splitting the ISO
Open up The File Splitter and under "File to split", choose your PS2 game ISO. Select the folder on your hard drive you want the split files to be for "Folder for pieces". Then under "Size of Pieces", choose "Custom size". Make the custom size (was originally 1 GB, but make it 2) GB and then choose "split" to split up the ISO.

Step 3: Extracting the PSS files
Now start up Nova software extractor and under "Files to scan", pres the "Select" button next to it and choose the split ISO files (They should end in a number). Under "Save extracted files to", press the "Select" button next to it to select the directory you want to store the extracted files in. Then under "Formats", choose "MPG". Press "Start" to begin scanning the split ISOs. The scanning process may take a while but it will show you the movies that you can extract from the game. Once the scanning process is done, select each of the mpg files, click on "properties" and change the mpg extension to pss. When you are finished, press "extract" to extract the pss files to your hard drive.

Step 4: Coverting the PSS files to MPEG2
Open up PSS Plex, choose "Demultiplex", then under "Select PSS source file", open up any of your newly made PSS files. Choose the directories you want the save the MPEG2 stream under and then click "start" to save it. Ignore the wav file it creates here because it will be distorted. Your MPEG2 stream should be saved as an m2v file.

Optional step: Getting the sound
Now that you have the footage, you can also get the sound if you want to watch the movie file on your computer. However, if you just want the movie file, then skip over to Step 5.

Start up MFAudio and click "open" and choose the pss file you want to extract the sound from. You can press "play" to see if it's the one you want. Click "save as" to set the directory you want the wav file saved to then click "process to save the wav.

Step 5: Converting the MPEG2 stream to avi
Open up DVD2AVI and select the m2v file then choose "save avi" and choose the codec you want to save it under (huffy preffered" then press ok.

Now you should have a large, yet fully working PS2 avi for video use.

If you want to attach the audio back to the movie, you can use virtualdub. Open the avi in virtualdub, then under "audio" select "wav audio" and the wav you extracted earlier then the audio should be back with the movie. If you want to encode it into mpeg with Tmpegenc, you can load the m2v file for the video stream and the wav for the audio stream. You can encode the movie into whatever you want from this point or use it for a video.

shakeelw
11-08-2005, 09:08 AM
Thanks angelstarfire, I'll try it out as soon as I can and let you know if I succeed.

Shakeel
:)

Markus. D
11-08-2005, 01:23 PM
Good luck :)

which FMV are you wanting to see?

cant you just google them to make life easier, you do know ripping screws up the game so it doesnt work.

angelstarfire
11-22-2005, 08:10 PM
No it doesn't - my game still works perfectly well, and I've ripped it quite a few times (several computers, don't ask).

Googling them doesn't exactly work... you get crappy quality, or you get nasty watermarks. It's especially bad if you're looking to make a music video out of them... my copies are uber-high quality and they don't have nasty watermarks...

Don't know where you got the idea it destroyed your disk. O_o;; Methinks Square might have put that out to discourage it... either that, or it actually happens to certain games. Not FFX-2 though. ^^

Omi4000
11-30-2005, 08:27 AM
cool that is very interesting to know i might do it myself

rubah
12-03-2005, 05:19 AM
I thought they had an easier way to do that now:( I ripped the ffx2 fmvs that way like a year ago. then promptly burned them to cd so I'd never do it again.

It took several hours.

Xyex
12-12-2005, 08:15 PM
I've got a good copy of 1000 words but, both copies of Real Emotion I have aren't perfect. The one clearer version is squashed down (16:9 format), the modified version I made to try and fix it isn't as clear and the audio's not synced. :/

Anyone know a good place on-line to find a good copy of it, or have a copy they could upload to rapidshare or something? I want to watch it again but the copy of the game I had a few months back is now back up in Canada with my Fiancee....

Xyex
12-13-2005, 12:05 PM
Sorry for the double post. Don't need a copy of Real Emotion now. Managed to fix the syncing problem. The video/audio quality isn't perfect but it's good enough.

Kheldar
12-13-2005, 01:39 PM
I have ripped my on versions of these and although they were large (1000 words was 1.67 GB!!!) It was well worth the effort... If you take your time and do it in stages you can slowly compress the video into smaller and smaller sections without loss of quality or snipping off the ends of the clip.... I now have it down to 360MB and it is still as good as watching it in Luca Theatre on the HiDef...

And FYI? It hasnt destroyed my disc.... was showing off the other day and played 1000 Words on the PC and on the PS2 in perfect sync for guests.... all hail the godliness that is Surround Sound.... *mentally thanks Dolby*

Does anyone know how to overlay the lyrics and minus the main Yuna/Lenne vocals for a kareoke-ish video?

I'd be chuffed to buggery if someone else has already done it and wants to show off....

Kheldar
~Currently playing~
- FFX-2 ~ Chapter 4
- FFX ~ Mt.Gagazet ~ Pre - Fookin hard Seymour battle...
- FFVIII ~ Disc 3 ~ Defeating Bahumut as I type...

Xyex
12-13-2005, 03:12 PM
For the lyrics overlay, the best method would be via subtitle addition. I don't know the process for adding subtitles, however, so I can't be much more help than that.

As for a Karoke version, as far as I know, the only instrumental version is the piano version....

Kheldar
12-13-2005, 03:41 PM
Nice one anyhoo Xyex, I know subtitle additions but it is so bland... I want a nice 'swirly' fontage....

I can see a long and arduous process in front of me for splitting the audio channels up...

*daydreams about a Final Fantasy kareoke night...*

I am already word and time perfect on 1000 words rofl...

Kheldar
~Currently playing~
- FFX-2 ~ Chapter 4
- FFX ~ Mt.Gagazet ~ Pre - Fookin hard Seymour battle... just been slaughtered.... exstensive leveling of party to do :/
- FFVIII ~ Disc 3 ~ Bahumut defeated...

TheKolkster
01-02-2006, 05:13 AM
Why was the MF Audio link removed?

yunafan11
01-25-2006, 10:22 PM
I am already word and time perfect on 1000 words rofl...

Same here. LOL. Except its the Real Emotion. LOL!!!