PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the end of the Final Fantasy series is near?

wilrod89
05-25-2004, 12:58 AM
i love final fantasy and i hope square keeps on making more and more games but how long do you think this series is going to continue? it seems that the more square continues the games get worse.....i mean they may already be running out of ideas... i just hope square keeps on creating more and more final fantasy games, but one day they're goning to have to hang the towel up and say good bye to final fantasy (which everyone would hate) all im trying to say is we've got to prepare for the worst... how long do you think it will be before square hangs up the towel???

The Man
05-25-2004, 01:06 AM
I think Square will continue to make Final Fantasy games as long as Final Fantasy games continue to make money. :)

Felldoh
05-25-2004, 01:11 AM
I dunno really. It could be the end (Though I doubt it), or this game could rock so much that it becomes even more popular. Personally, I can't think of its end really... and when the main series ends, I hope that it continues in some way, like through the spinoffs like Tactics.

Kirobaito
05-25-2004, 04:57 AM
I have a feeling that we are reaching the end of the series. I would bet they stop at XV, because, well, the quality of the games has decreased over the past few years. Or maybe that's just because X was so bad.

LiquidSwords
05-25-2004, 05:25 AM
I hope that Square makes the games atleast until i get bored of them, which'll be never! But, i think over the years theyve had different people working in the studios, and new people means new ideas...BTW, i dont think the games are getting worse, but 7-9 went downhill, 7 was great, 8was ok, 9 sucked...but im playing it anyways...and 10 was awesome, some ~!@# stole my FFX-2 and im still mad about it cuz it was $50 but it was pretty good when i played it

Bahamut2000X
05-25-2004, 11:55 AM
In my opinion, yes FF games have done downhill, especially after X (although XI was good in my opinion) if XII does bad then I guess FF will end sooner, but if XII does good it'll keep the series going longer.

But I think it'll keep going for quite a while still.

But besides even if they ended it soon there's always FFXI to play so technically the series is still going on as it's continuign to get plot updates all the time and such.

Loony BoB
05-25-2004, 01:03 PM
I think Square will continue to make Final Fantasy games as long as Final Fantasy games continue to make money. :)
Yup. You guys are forgetting that SE is a business. So long as they can reasonably predict a profit from a game, they'll make it.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-25-2004, 10:13 PM
FFXII has already demonstrated that they're far from running out of ideas.

Cloudane
05-26-2004, 06:13 PM
I keep hearing rumours that they're on the brink of running out of money (hence no lip sync for the English FF7-AC) but then that's all they are... rumours.

Don't judge a game until it's released and you've played it :) I thought they'd completely lost the plot with the idea of FFX-2, and it turned out to be one of my favourites of the entire series.

TheAbominatrix
05-26-2004, 06:18 PM
X and X-2 made Square a lot of money. Their financial reports for the last fiscal year were pretty promising if I remember right. As long as the FF name makes money, they'll keep making games.

And also, SE announce that FF would be one of the three main 'pillars' of the company, hence hinting that they arent done with it by a longshot.

TasteyPies
05-26-2004, 08:50 PM
Im waiting to teach my nephew how to play XVIII

Cloudane
05-27-2004, 12:43 AM
I know it's off-topic, but just a correction on my statement about FF7-AC lipsync... there was a translation error on the site that published the news... it actually said there *will* be English lipsync :)

square_is_the_best
05-27-2004, 11:57 PM
More than ten years ago, a down-on-their-luck company called Squaresoft was almost out of business. But the group of exhausted yet adamant programmers and artists persevered and put out their last, no their only hope. Hence the name Final Fantasy. It was a success. And since then Squaresoft has put out 20+ games. I'm sure Square can pull off another miracle if need be. It's a brilliant company. Most of its games are greatest hits. I hope there never is a final Final Fantasy. NEVER. Well, maybe after I die. That's the only time I won't regret the end of the series.

sora
05-28-2004, 12:11 AM
kh2 is gonna sell loads also ff12 looks alright im getting it the day it comes out (like ffx-2) i don't think it is the end of SE well i hope it isn't *grabs his keyblade*

Shayo
05-29-2004, 04:32 PM
if they do run out of ideas, then they'll just probably make sequels to all of the ff's until they get a new idea

listentomystory
05-29-2004, 05:25 PM
squaresoft were in danger of going under because "the spirits within" was a flop and x cost them a lot more than what was previously estimated because of all the fmvs that why x2 has only ten fmvs
hopefully though xii does well cuz i fear for the futur of ff.

a_priebe47
05-29-2004, 08:13 PM
I think they can still go on for awhile yet. We'll know when they've made there last game when the starting screen is blue, and the text:

The World is veiled in darkness.
The wind stops, the sea is wild,
the earth begins to rot.
The people wait, their only hope a prophecy...

'When the world is in darkness, Four Warriors will come..."

Four Light Warriors appear among the people,
each carrying an Orb. Two thousand years ago,
the Orbs shined with Light. Now, only darkness....

Although I think it would be a cool way to end the series... a complete remake of FFI following the same story and path/character style with the 21st century graphics and voice overs.

Del Murder
05-29-2004, 09:38 PM
A few years ago I read that XII would be the last one, but I doubt that hold up today with the continuing popularity of the series. From a financial standpoint, they would be foolish to stop it now. Personally I wish the series would have ended with IX, because that was sort of a throwback to the old days. Hopefully there will be a PS2 version of that tired and true style that made the series so good. These recent games aren't my thing.

Shayo
05-29-2004, 09:45 PM
i dont no, i prefered 6 through x-2 then 1 through 5

Cloudane
05-30-2004, 11:30 PM
tired and true

GUFFAW!... quite :D Was that intentional?

I think the series is getting a bit old and 'tired' now, but if they bring some of their old magic into XII it should keep people interested.

aeris2001x2
05-31-2004, 08:48 PM
GENIUS FF GAMES: ffI, ffIV, ffVI, ffVII, ffX .

in my opinion the seris goes up and down continually. there is no huge down patch from 8 onwards. all this doom and gloom is because of ffx-2, if it follows tradition then ffXII or ffXIII will rule immensly. i,m sick of all this talk of decline. the biggest decline was ffI to ffII-ffIII. those were dark days and ffIV saved them. they may never make an ffVI or ffVII again but as long as they stay at least as good as ffI and ffX then ff will remain. infact even if they dont if it sells like ffx-2 then square will milk the franchise for all its worth.

u see the ff opinion is so vast that some se ffX as supreme crap that is heralding the end, while others view it as the beginning of a new era. i just like to view it as a good ff game

SomethingBig
05-31-2004, 10:39 PM
That's the whole going down thing. FFX: Tons and tons of people hated it, but there were a good number of people that liked it. The only reason so many people bought it was because it was the very first Final Fantasy to hit the PS2. If people had known about the monstrosity that it would become, not many people would have bought it. If Square-Enix keeps dishing out FF's that produce these types of outcomes, then Final Fantasy will become the final fantasy sooner than we hope and expect. If Square-Enix hopes to keep the series alive, then the next game has to be a huge hit, which looks like it will be. The reason FFVIII was seen as being bad was because, since it was the successor to FFVII, people had very high expectations of it. FFVIII did many unorthodox things and at some points couldn't fit into FFVII's shoes, so people immediately labelled it as the worst FF ever. FFIX made a return to the medieval style of gameplay, so people hated it because of that, when, in all actually, the medieval style was what the entire series started with. FFIII was incredible. Only God knows why it was released in the US. The whole class system made it so that it had a high replay value.

Cz
05-31-2004, 11:09 PM
Presumably, many of those who joined the series with FFX will despise FFXII, as those who joined it with VII despised VIII. Quite what they'll make of FFXIII onwards remains to be seen.

However, it is almost certain that the debut of FF on the PS3 will attract a whole new fanbase, and be as incredibly popular as VII or X were. FF veterans will continue to pronounce doom and gloom on the series, but Square will go on making money, and continue to innovate, angrying the veterans even more, but catering for the newbies. Nevertheless, every last one of them will continue to buy every last game, no matter how good or bad they are.

All I want is an expanded version of FFV, but until then, the newer FF's will have to keep me going.

aeris2001x2
06-01-2004, 11:45 PM
am i the ONLY person who joined with ffVII and loves all ff afterwards regardless of there huge differences? i require only 1 thing, quality, and i get really annoyed with ff games hated for trivial reasons like "the eidolons only do 9999" or "he has a stuiped tail" or " it doesnt have a materia systerm" etc.

u see many ppl on here hate ff8-10 but most back up with proper reasons. its the stuiped public that piss me off with the above reasons that dont back up anything. the same public who say "why are u playing ff9 instead of ff8? its all babyish and cartoony" and "why are you playing ffVI instead of ffX? ffVI has 2d graphics" etc.

i dont know what i,m trying to say but i,m sick of all this post ffVII ff hating.

Cloudane
06-02-2004, 12:49 AM
You're not the only one, although I didn't like FFX straight away. It took 2 plays and FFX-2 to appreciate it :)

For a short while I believed all the slagging FFVIII got, then I played it again and loved it *shrugs*

SomethingBig
06-02-2004, 01:33 AM
I had to play FFVIII twice to like it more than FFIX.

aeris2001x2
06-02-2004, 01:49 AM
in my opinion ffVIII is full of flaws but it also has lots of great stuff. i diss the game 1 second but praise it the next. it is ff middle ground 4 me. i can understand its hatred but it is too oftern used as the scape goat in ""ff is declining" topics.. ff is not declining...its changing and since ffII it has been changing.

SomethingBig
06-02-2004, 02:24 AM
I think the FF series is declining. From FFI-FFVIII, Square brought us tons of new things. FFIX brought almost nothing new and FFX just gave a horrible way of leveling up and an unbearably linear story line.

aeris2001x2
06-02-2004, 02:34 AM
lol i bet u havent played ffII, that was truely a dark day when that crap was released.

no there not declining, there different. ffIX was a tribute title and ffX imho was the most original title in years. and why does linear story make it a crap story? it was linear but innovative and amazing. ffIX and ffX were also much better then ffVIII in my opinion.

Ariel
06-02-2004, 02:41 AM
I don't think FF is nearing its end. As long as it's still making money, Square-Enix won't stop bringing out new games. The old style of FF has been gradually coming to an end, as the games change more and more. But there's still plenty of fans, willing to spend their money, and that's all that matters.

aeris2001x2
06-02-2004, 02:44 AM
lol as long as the games stay at least as fun as ffX-2, then i will buy them just to complete the collection.

SomethingBig
06-02-2004, 02:55 AM
How was FFX's story innovative?

The reason linear FF stories are bad is because FF plots usually have twists and turns. FFX gave you the entire plot in the beginning. And if it didn't, it wasn't hard in the very least to find out what was gonna happen. Seriously. The FFX forum doesn't even need spoiler tags, the game's so linear. I could be talking to the biggest FF fan who has only played through 5 hours of the game, say, "Oh my Gawd, so and so happens," and he'd be like, "WELL, DUH, I ALREADY KNEW THAT!"

aeris2001x2
06-02-2004, 03:40 AM
the way Yevons secreats were revealed was surprising and cool. yunalescas revelations were shocking and unforeseen. the only thing u know at the start is yuna is going to try to perform the final summoning...thats it. thats hardly a linear story line with no twists. hell u dont even know till halfway yuna will die, or suspect Auron is dead.

what r u on about? imho this linear ffX story thing is complete crap. what about the origins of sin? the origins of the hymn of the fayth? the zanerkand war info from Machean? the fact Tidus is a dream? your saying u can work them out after 5 hours?

EDIT: Please mark spoilers like that. -Murder

square_is_the_best
06-03-2004, 12:41 AM
A linear story gives the story more depth, imo. It makes it more like a storybook, more like a real story. And it does have twists. Its just that you can't choose what the twists are and when they happen. If you want, then play X-2.

SomethingBig
06-03-2004, 01:52 AM
Oh, c'mon. You didn't figure out that Seymour was, of course, going to become a bad guy, along with his cronies? FFX's overall plot and the game itself are linear. You know right away that you're going to fight Sin at the end. You know right away that Khimari and Tidus will become friends. You know right away that Auron has some relation with Sin. You know right away that Yuna and Tidus will eventually get together. Yeah, it does have its miniscule twists and turns, but they aren't large enough to warrent a full-scale plot-twisted story. It is nowhere near like FFVI, VII, or VIII where you go, "WHAT?! SERIOUSLY?!" The lack of a world map made the game a puzzle-board where you have to go from Start to End. There's no arguing with that fact. Even the roads were straight paths with very small pathways branching from the main road.

The Man
06-03-2004, 03:38 AM
Hell, I didn't even see how anyone could be surprised that Auron was unsent. HELLO. HE DOESN'T ENTER THE FARPLANE AND SEYMOUR SAYS HE DOESN'T BELONG HERE, USE YOUR F***ING BRAIN TIDUS.

I don't think the game was supposed to be about subtlety though. But I can see why one would look at its lack of subtlety as a weak point.

square_is_the_best
06-03-2004, 03:40 AM
Tell me what was your first decent Final Fantasy? You probably don't like change. But imo X is one of the best. You can't tether yourself to a set style.
About X, you look at the glass and you say its half empty, I look at the glass and I say its half full. You DON'T know that Yuna is going to die. You DON'T know that Auron is unsent. You DON'T know that most of the key charecters are unsent. You DON't know that the Al Bhed are kidnapping the summoners because they don't want them to die. You DON'T know that your dad actually likes you.
Half of the things you said were obvious (Yuna and Tidus get together, Fight sin at end, Seymour evil). Wait thats more than half. The other (Kimhari and Tidus friends) you already know that Kimhari is Yuna's guardian so obviously you are gonna be friends.

EDIT: Mark your spoilers. -Murder

Dark Queen Kyra
06-03-2004, 04:13 AM
I think the FF series is declining.
Mannnnnnn... i think your full of bull,
and maybe FFX wasn't as great as you were expecting it to be, but it was an AWESOME game, and i will NEVER EVER regret typing it up so everyone else in the world can see it!

Cloudane
06-03-2004, 06:31 PM
Maybe I'm slow or not so good at predicting things, but FFX had just as many surprises for me as any other FF. Some things like the fact that Maechen lived in Zanarkand and is a 1000 year old unsent you don't even find out until the end of FFX-2, and even then it's generally only if you're shooting for 100% completion that you do what's required to find out...

Yes the first one was annoyingly linear. I'll grant that. X-2 fixed that good and proper, showing that Squenix still have what it takes :)

Edit: why doesn't [spoiler] work? I had to use 'bigspoiler'

Laguna
06-03-2004, 07:40 PM
Personally, I think squenix have made too many changes to FF now. No random battles and few characters. I'll go back and play VII and VIII instead thanks. I cant believe their so willing to change a classic format. It's outrageous. As for X and a limited storyline I agree whole-heartedly!

Dark Queen Kyra
06-03-2004, 09:26 PM
It's a new generation that they are trying to attract into playing there games, and i may not like all the changes but thats something i'm gonna have to deal with. :shame:

TheAbominatrix
06-03-2004, 09:41 PM
Edit: why doesn't [spoiler] work? I had to use 'bigspoiler'

It still doesnt work. Thanks for spoilin my game.

SomethingBig
06-03-2004, 10:31 PM
Tell me what was your first decent Final Fantasy? You probably don't like change. But imo X is one of the best. You can't tether yourself to a set style.
About X, you look at the glass and you say its half empty, I look at the glass and I say its half full. You DON'T know that Yuna is going to die. You DON'T know that Auron is unsent. You DON'T know that most of the key charecters are unsent. You DON't know that the Al Bhed are kidnapping the summoners because they don't want them to die. You DON'T know that your dad actually likes you.
Half of the things you said were obvious (Yuna and Tidus get together, Fight sin at end, Seymour evil). Wait thats more than half. The other (Kimhari and Tidus friends) you already know that Kimhari is Yuna's guardian so obviously you are gonna be friends.

EDIT: Mark your spoilers. -Murder

First decent FF I've played or first loved?
Love - FF7
Decent - FF.....V

What are you, kidding? I love change. Good change, though, mind you. The second Auron got sick outside of the farplane and refused to go, I immediately thought to myself, "Ugh. Way to make a horrible and predictable "twist", Square." Like I said before, there aren't major twists. There's nothing that changes the course of the plot.

*SPOILERS11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*

Yeah, okay, Yuna having to die to save the world was a slight twist. They hinted at it after 40 minutes of knowing Yuna. It wasn't an, "OH MY GOD! NO WAY!" type twist. The Al Bhed kidnapping Yuna thing just to save her was highly predictable. How could you not know that Jecht actually loved Tidus? Of all the would-be-twists in the game, that would have to be the most predictable of them all. Whenever there's a movie/game that has a main character that's hated by his or her father, the fathers eventually end up saying, "That's right, sonnyboy, I actually loved you. I was only mean to toughen you up, na mean?" When I talk about plot twists, I mean following Sephiroth all over the place only to find out that it's actually Jenova. Or finding out that Rinoa's actually a sorceress. Or finding out Shadow's actually Relm's father/uncle. Those, my friend, are true twists. Don't tell me that you figured out that Sephiroth was Jenova the second you fight the first Jenova tentacle, because there's no way. It took me two-three runs to finally realize how you could be chasing Sephiroth around, while he was actually in frozen mako.

Carnage
06-03-2004, 11:39 PM
Final Fantasy will never end we still havent developed virtual reality games. Those are gonna be sick (hope i dont die before then).

square_is_the_best
06-04-2004, 01:58 AM
My first FF: X
My fav: X

I think I see why you have stuff against X. You like the old school, not extremely linear story. I like my rpgs easy. I have to say I'm a beginner. Maybe thats why I thought VII was kinda slow paced. I still beat it for the heck of it. (heh heh, dont ask Cloud_Strife_X about it tho) But I wouldn't want to play it again, whereas I'm on my third time on X. Maybe you are right. Since X was my first FF its twists seemed like the norm. And since you really liked VII, you didn't like the changes in X, imo.

SomethingBig
06-04-2004, 02:16 AM
Yep, square_is_the_best gets how my mind works.

aeris2001x2
06-05-2004, 01:42 AM
lol give me ffX *linear* story over ffVIII *boarderline crap* story anyday.

i dont think ffX is linear (in my opinion ffX-2 is because u MUST do certain things in a certain order or u lose out on 100%) but even if it is, linear dont mean crap.

actually ffVII, ffVI,, ffIV are my favs so i,m not saying ffX has a better story then them, but it was good. and i,m not old school or new school, i,m just myself: i like what i like and i,ll say it again...there are only two kind of story, good...or bad.

ffX=good story.

and if i like it thats all that matters.

p.s imho, the fact that the hymn of the fayth was infact a Zanerkand rebellion song to inspire hope against the evil of Beville and Beville intergrated this, the Fayth and the name of there Adversary *Yevon*, into there culture and had to use these Zanerkand born Fayth as aeons to fight Sin(who was an aeon as well) to stop *Yevon* the person destroying *yevon* the empire, was ironic genius, worthy to stand along side cool twists in ffVI and ffVII.

square_is_the_best
06-05-2004, 02:19 AM
I wonder how the discussion came down to the linearness of X when this is a thread about XII being the end of the FF series.

omyroar
06-05-2004, 02:36 AM
The new battle system for XII is a ridiculous change http://www.rpgamer.com/event/e3-2004/journals/ff12a.html

SomethingBig
06-05-2004, 03:44 AM
(in my opinion ffX-2 is because u MUST do certain things in a certain order or u lose out on 100%)
Wow, tell me you're joking. Seriously, if you're joking, just say it. There is no way that you can actually trick yourself into believing that. You probably haven't even played the game, have you? There's just no way that you could have played X-2, then think that. I've played through the game and have read many reviews and the reviews have said that X-2 is probably the least linear of all the games. How could you possibly think it's linear? What are you talking about you have to do certain things in order? Yeah, you have to do some things in order to get secret things, but you can choose whatever mission you want to do and when, and, judging by what you do, the plot can change. FFX was nothing like that. You didn't make any decisions that could alter the plot.

i like what i like and i,ll say it again...there are only two kind of story, good...or bad.

ffX=good story.

and if i like it thats all that matters.
Chill, chill, I never flamed you for your opinions. I was merely stating my opinion, along with tens of thousands, maybe even millions, of other peoples' opinions.

aeris2001x2
06-05-2004, 04:56 AM
Wow, tell me you're joking. Seriously, if you're joking, just say it. There is no way that you can actually trick yourself into believing that. You probably haven't even played the game, have you? There's just no way that you could have played X-2, then think that. I've played through the game and have read many reviews and the reviews have said that X-2 is probably the least linear of all the games. How could you possibly think it's linear? What are you talking about you have to do certain things in order? Yeah, you have to do some things in order to get secret things, but you can choose whatever mission you want to do and when, and, judging by what you do, the plot can change. FFX was nothing like that. You didn't make any decisions that could alter the plot.

Chill, chill, I never flamed you for your opinions. I was merely stating my opinion, along with tens of thousands, maybe even millions, of other peoples' opinions.

lol, i have actually completed ffX-2 twice, got 100%, all chapter complete, beat via infinito, etc, so yes i have played it. imho a game where its impossible 2 get 100%(and thus, the perfect end) if u dont touch yuna in her moogle suit right at the start in luca is quite linear.

look, i,m sorry, but i,m just sick of ffVIII,ffIX and ffX getting slated for what i believe are the wrong reasons.

ZeZipster
06-05-2004, 05:13 AM
Most people think that a company like Square has to be corporate, so they don't care what they do to squander money out of fans... I disagree, I have seen good gaming, I've seen traditions held strong and the fans put ahead of the possibility of a slight profit. Final Fantasy 8-10 were not all bad, they had many unique aspects that I enjoyed, it is 10-2 that I loath. 10-2 was not true to the tradition of the series and nothing like FF10, it was designed to make profit. I feel bad when I think about it. Sure it may be a good game, fun to play, but when it gets down to it I don't like what it stands for, the treachery of the series and specifically the characterization (dramatic personality changes and the slashing of characters left and right to lead to what? an all female party...) of 10.

aeris2001x2
06-05-2004, 05:20 AM
yeah maybe (again i love that cat :p ) but ffXII looks like it will make the memory of ffX-2 vanish forever.

however i checked omyroars link and i of course have my reservations. this new systerm reminds me of the hellish ffX-2 atb. i know Square can pull off a great systerm from what sounds awful...i guess i,m just a natural pessimist. still i,m gettin ffXI in december :D so even if ffXII does suck, i have that to console me.

Cloudane
06-05-2004, 05:13 PM
It still doesnt work. Thanks for spoilin my game.

I'm terribly sorry. I know that must be annoying. It works here though? Browser issue?

SomethingBig
06-05-2004, 06:51 PM
I'll admit that FFX was great, the first few days I had it. But once I realized how linear and repetitive it was, I started to hate it. It's just not an FF worth replaying or playing, for that matter, IMO.

auron_790
06-24-2004, 10:18 PM
Square-enix almost ran out of money after the movie of ff thats why they made gamecube and gba games(FF tactics advance and crystal chronicles) Those games did well and so did X and X-2 so they will have alot of money and should continue the series for quite a long time now as Dragon Quest is also coming back and all I have to say about that is...GOOD :p

dancingmadK
06-25-2004, 08:32 AM
Lemme straighten something out for you. Final Fantasy is and always will be the best selling RPG, and for that reason, it will not die. It was also the first popular RPG (if not the first period). Mario Bros. or Zelda didn't die because they were the firsts of their genre, and for that reason, they are now the world's most popular video game icons, ALONG with final fantasy. So all fans out there who wish for Final Fantasy immortality, you will be granted your wish, and as for those who don't like it, you're gonna have to wait until the Earth itself blows up. just my "three" cents
oh and by the way. What made me such a big Final Fantasy fanatic is the first final fantasy I've ever played FF6. When I played it, I couldn't believe there such a thing as a game having that good of a story and fell into deep love with the music. And of course, my favorite villain of all time (alongside Freeza) Kefka. No other FF villain was so cruel and humorous at the same time. Plus he's a snappy dresser. ;) It's just something about an evil psycho wearing transvestile looks that makes me wanna "WA HA HA HA HA!!!"

nanaki7
06-25-2004, 08:01 PM
i hope they do i got one reserundefinedundefined :choc: ved from game stop so they hAVE to hold one for me intill i buy it and its like layaway you can pay little by little so i need like five more bucks and the game is payed off you should do the same thing :choc: :D :love: yeah

kendo
06-28-2004, 11:21 AM
i dont think the games are getting worse, but 7-9 went downhill, 7 was great, 8was ok, 9 sucked...but im playing it anyways...and 10 was awesome, some ~!

In my opinion, 7 was great, 8 was bad ,9 was very good.
I hope 12 will be a great one and FF series will continue for a long time.

Wizdumb
07-03-2004, 12:57 AM
The Final Fantasy series saved their asses! They have to be very bad short-businessmen if their just going to dump the series.

gokufusionss1
07-03-2004, 10:52 AM
i think this one is shaping up to be the last, it's huge and they seem to be working overtime to make it a damn good game. Going out with a bang

Shoeberto
07-05-2004, 12:22 AM
I don't mind new FFs being released, but it's irritating to see pretty much only Final Fantasies coming from Square-Enix. They do have other franchises - damn good ones, too. Maybe more focus on them, upping the quality and such. I'd like to see a new Rad Racer on a next-gen console.

Dark Jester
07-07-2004, 09:58 AM
I started with FF6. First RPG i ever played, and is my favorite FF. I feel that other FF haven't lived up to FF6 because FF6 put all the characters on an even level. Sure, i will admit that Terra has the spotlight and is the character the plot moves around, but the other characters are just as important. Terra never passes through a single point in the game (with a few exceptions) without it being closely related to some other character. Hell, i didn't even use Terra in my game, i opted for Locke, Edgar, Sabin and then cycled most other characters.

My least favorite FF is 9. I didn't feel attached to the characters at all. The battle system wasn't that fun for me, nothing really ever changed during the game. I found the battles to be an encumberance, it sucks to go from a nicep lot seen, to 15 minutes of swamp battles just to get to the next town. That was reminescent of FF1, but without the excuse of being the first. Also i didn't think much of the side quests.

I think 8 is the most underrated FF. I loved it, period. I think the love story was well developed, along with the plot progression. I never thought "What the hell?" about anything. I mean that in the sense that the story was well explained, not that the plot twists were predictable.

I have mixed Feelings over 7. I thought it was a great game, the only thing i don't really like is why other people proclaim it the best of all FF. I think that characters were favored. I would've preferred more on other characters like Vincent, Cid, Red, etc. I was tired of the flood of Cloud and Sephiroth. Also i feel I didn't really like the most emotional part of the story.

Spoilers
Final Fantasy 6 was most emotional for me when General Leo dies. That point in the story was the culmination of the party's efforts to stop the Empire from molesting the Esprits for their power. Terra was trying to figure out exactly who she was, and things were finally starting to look up. Kefka, devious as ever, shows up in top notch form though. I first felt pissed, all my actions in the game thus far had been void due to some power hungry bastard. Suddenly Leo steps up condemning his past. This was something i really enjoyed. All throughout life people are so adamant in their beliefs that they either miss, or choose to ignore things that they know aren't right. For each and every person liek this, there comes a day when they have to face their convictions, and the true character of that person is revealed. Anyways... Leo becomes a Martyr, and you're returned back to step 1. I really enjoyed this part of the game because it brings alot of real life into the game, represented by whatever. Whether is be Imperialism and the Empire, Racism and the Esprits, or what being power hungry can do to the future, and the planet.

Final Fantasy 8 - Finally Squall lets his guard down and finds out how it feels to love, and be loved in return. I don't know exactly why, perhaps i'm intrigued by Rinoa's purity and persistance... I don't know what it was to tell the truth, but i think the song, along with Laguna's past that had alot to do with it. Sometimes we just gotta let go and enjoy life, and the people in it. Right?

Final Fantasy 7 - Don't get me wrong, i practically through my chair out the window when Jenova stabbed Aeris, but i just didn't like a few things. I don't like helpless martyrs. Don't lie down and die, hoping your death can change the future. Aeris knew what was coming before it came :(. Secondly i didn't like the 2000ft drop, i would've prefered him just leaping from the water :-/. Small things, i know. Last of all, the scene before Aeris dies, Cloud resists chopping Aeris in half. The thing i always asked myself was why Sephiroth even bothered with cloud in the first place. Sephiroth was effecient in all his tasks. So why would he mess with cloud in such a sadistic way is jenova was right there to kill her anyways? My vision of Sephiroth wasn't one of Malice, more of misguided anger. He was angry at the world, so he was going to destroy it, but he wasn't going to go to every town and kill everyone he saw. Meh, its all about translating what's going on into one giant cohesive picture, and it just didn't fit my profile. I think thats half the fun, interpreting whats going on.

Lastly, how could you not have known Seph was actually Jenova. I didn't have it pinpointed at first, but i thought it very odd that sephiroth would walk around with body parts of his mother to conveniantly throw at me.

Lastly, to be more direct to the topic. I think every FF has something to offer. Some are hated more by others, but thats because they compare them. I think had there been no previous FF's, then people wouldn't rage at FFX so much. As for being linear. I think FFX had alot of unexpected events. Some people like 2,000 foot drops (See the spoilers part to know what i'm talkign about), and some people like not knowing who the dead people are. I think its all about the presentation. FF seems to be changing into a faster-paced game. More action etc. I mean nowadays its always something like "Travel here to figure out why the world will be destroyed". What ever happened to "Go to the mountain hideout to prevent bad imperials from rapeing you of your powers". Is that a bad thing? Certainly not, i enjoy every FF for what it offers, even if it doesn't offer as much as its predacessor.

I think i'm done now ;)

Edit: Hrmmmm, my edit was cut in half, so i edited it out. How odd.

Inuyasha23
07-07-2004, 06:45 PM
yeah the games have been going downhill (cause x really sucked).... When i was buying XI the cashier who looked like he was in his mid 20's just looked at the case and said "someday this will die" i couldnt really argue with the guy....there are quite a few of these

Snappie88
07-10-2004, 12:44 PM
Hmmm this topic reminds me of this poll (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=44532&highlight=FINAL+fantasy)...

Savannah
07-18-2004, 11:23 PM
I really don't know why people don't like FFX. The storyline was complicated and original, and the emotions and dialogue of the characters broke away from the cheesy, comic-book feeling of FFVII and FFIX. It was more realistic, and made it easier to take the characters seriously. I think FFX brought the series out of its cartoony, anime-ish feeling, and FFXII looks like it will do the same.

If you're still pining for boys with spikey hair and girls with huge balloon breasts, go watch anime, and let FF grow up.

aeris2001x2
07-19-2004, 05:44 PM
excuse me but Anime is way better. it is as adult as real life but far more interesting and cool.

what the hell was childish about ffVII? the darkest FF by far!

ok this is just my opinion(and i love ffX), but no anime or anime fan bashing! :mad2:

UltimateSpamGrover
07-19-2004, 09:30 PM
I really don't know why people don't like FFX. The storyline was complicated and original, and the emotions and dialogue of the characters broke away from the cheesy, comic-book feeling of FFVII and FFIX. It was more realistic, and made it easier to take the characters seriously. I think FFX brought the series out of its cartoony, anime-ish feeling, and FFXII looks like it will do the same.

If you're still pining for boys with spikey hair and girls with huge balloon breasts, go watch anime, and let FF grow up.

Its Final FANTASY, not Final Reality

CloudSquallandZidane
07-19-2004, 10:18 PM
FF is no where near ending, if this title can survive bad realeases like FFIX then it will make it too atleast XV which will be about 5 years in the future... besides even if a bad ff is released every1 still buys it, thus Square always profits... except when it comes to crystal chronicles...

SomethingBig
07-19-2004, 11:01 PM
excuse me but Anime is way better. it is as adult as real life but far more interesting and cool.

what the hell was childish about ffVII? the darkest FF by far!

I could hug you.

I was actually gonna stay out of my 5,000th argument on why I hate FFX, but, what the hey.
Unmarked Spoilers ahead

The storyline was complicated and original, and the emotions and dialogue of the characters broke away from the cheesy, comic-book feeling of FFVII and FFIX.
You've got to be kidding. Complicated? You summon the final Aeon to fight Sin. You die. Don't want to die? Find some other way to kill Sin? How?! By not killing him with your own hands! Original? I saw no originality in FFX's story. Don't tell me that the enemy being the main character's father is original, because so many shows, including animes, which are so damn childish and immature[/sarcasm], have used this "plot twist" so many times before FFX's abominable birth.

It was more realistic, and made it easier to take the characters seriously.
I find it harder to take someone that cries and whines easily. I tend to look down upon them. More realistic? Tifa was pretty dang realistic, if you ask me. She was Cloud's childhood friend and wanted to follow him to the ends of the Earth because she loved him so much. Barret was a rebel who just lost his best of friends and now he wants revenge on the people that caused their deaths. Cid was also screwed by Shinra, but also wants to at least contribute the crew's cause. Cloud, having lost his memory, wants to set out on a mission to learn who he is. Now for FFX's characters. Tidus, a non-existent person, just fell out of a monster's belly into a new world to do what? To whine, complain, and just follow around Yuna and the gang to get home. Yuna, being a summoner, must set out to destroy Sin for a mere 10 years, but at the cost of her life. Auron, who also technically doesn't exist, is just there. Khimari is also just there. And the same goes for the rest of the characters. They're just there.

Dragonfire
07-20-2004, 05:08 AM
In my opinion FF has gone downhill after FF7, then again I'm not a big fan of amazing graphics.... I'm a very nostalgic person, and prefer sprite graphics (with the exception of ff7). Though I did like the voice acting for X. But, as long as they continue cranking out the amazing graphics, cutscenes and fighting, teen will buy these game for a long time to come.

CloudSquallandZidane
07-23-2004, 07:31 AM
In fact this whole thread is blasphemous!!!

DJZen
07-25-2004, 07:52 PM
i mean they may already be running out of ideas

No, they're NOT running out of ideas. They're trying different things, which is actually sort of like the opposite of running out of ideas. Crystal Chronicles was different, people hated it for that. FFXI was different, people hated it for that also. You can't hope to defend a position that a company's product is going stale when what they're doing is taking it in new directions.

Also, I'd like to point out that this has been something FF fans have been droning on about ever since FFVII came out. People HATED what FFVII did to the series, and they claimed that it would be the death of Final Fantasy. Well, the main series has survived another 4 installments (5 if you count X-2) and it will soon be 5 (or 6, depending on how you see things) NOT TO MENTION rereleases of FF I, II and IV twice over, and V and VI, and the releases of FF Tactics, FF Tactics Advance, FFCC, and even the bankruptcy inducing Spirits Within. We are also soon going to see FF I & II Advance, Advent Children, Before Crisis and maybe even another FFVII related title. If Square WAS going to run out of steam, it wouldn't even make sense that they'd be doing it now of all times, when their creativity seems to be rising again.

Savannah
07-27-2004, 08:49 AM
I find it harder to take someone that cries and whines easily. I tend to look down upon them. More realistic? Tifa was pretty dang realistic, if you ask me. She was Cloud's childhood friend and wanted to follow him to the ends of the Earth because she loved him so much.

Tifa was an airhead with big boobs and a small shirt. All the other characters can be summarized almost as easily.

The main thing that separated FFX from the others was the loss of the dialogue balloons and the things that popped up in them. No one can seriously tell me that the things the characters said in past FFs were not cartoony. FF8 broke away from this and was a little more serious, but FF9 went right back to the slap-stick style of storytelling. With FFX, the voice-acting could have improved, but at least it eliminated the opportunity for Square to stick such stupid things in the dialogue boxes.

The idea of Sin, I thought, was very original, or at least more original than past FF storylines. Sin represented tradition, something Spira just accepted and went along with. The bad guys (excluding Seymour, whose character I loathed) were just people who didn't know what else to do-- not the mwa-ha-haing villains who wanted to take over the world (FF6-FF9; and probably others, but I've only played 6-10).

FFXII looks darker and more serious, which is what I, personally, am rooting for.

aeris2001x2
07-27-2004, 10:14 AM
i know. Sephiroth and Kuja were completly 2 D walking sterotypes. long live ffX! (Sarcasm).

look, imho, ffIV-X are all fantastic, regardless of whether u hold the dumb ass view that Anime is only a childish cartoon and i wish debates like this would end. DJzen has it sussed, FF will go on for a long time and will rock regardless of whether it returns to Anime or not.

however it will only ever have a chance of matching its two divine achievements (FFVI-VII) if it returns to Anime. but even if it doesnt, i,ll still buy it.

please stop dissing the above FF games, for the only ff game that derserves dissing is ffII...*decapitated by DJzen* :eep:

chu52
07-27-2004, 05:19 PM
For the answer go to: www.legendaryfrog.com look for the FF tribute movie

kikimm
07-31-2004, 02:16 AM
In an intrview with Tetsuya Nomura, he said that he thought the FF series was one that would go on forever. I would put a link up, but I don't want to have to deal with the insults if it doesn't work.

:D

CloudySky
07-31-2004, 02:56 AM

I'm offended, really. As it usually happens in this ugly world I again read some harsh words about anime written by a person obviously not knowing anime... It's so sad...
I like FF7 and FFX as well and both games are ANIME games for God's sake! And FF not gonna die, anime not gonna die either.
Almost forgot, FF never had, has or will have *hopes* anything in common with cartoons.

Mercenary
08-01-2004, 02:33 AM
Final Fantasy sells a ton, it will most likely continue to do so and thus it will continue to be made.

Sales first, fans second. That is the order of business, not the other way around. If a game sucks to the diehard fans, but sells more to the vast majority, the company doesn't care they will continue to make what sells. FF whether it improves or worsens, will most likely continue to sell and therefore will continue.

Although I have to say FFXII definately looks to be the best PS2 FF, not that that is saying much. I have played 4-10 and I like them all, they are all good, some better than others but all good. I am sure I can name something I like and dislike in each, it happens and will continue. You can not please 100% of the fans no matter how good the game is. (For example many liked FFX-2 and I absolutely hated it, but I really liked FFX).

So, in answer to your question, no I do not see the series ending any time soon. Which is a good thing, as there has only been one FF I didnt like and that was a spin off more than a main game. :)

UltimateSpamGrover
08-01-2004, 11:50 AM
there has only been one FF I didnt like and that was a spin off more than a main game. :)

I hope you are talking about FFX-2, the crappiest RPG on the face of this universe

aeris2001x2
08-02-2004, 03:09 AM
i thought the crapiest Rpg in this universe was a piece of filth Called Jade Cocoon...

Trumpet Thief
08-02-2004, 03:27 AM
Is it just me, or does Gundam Wing rock?

Anyhoo, I found General Leo's death a very tragic one. I actually got my old username Lionheart Griever after I decided to switch the two first letter's of General Leo around. I wouldn't mind an anime, those rock. And how is FFVII cartoony? I thought it was great!

Well back to the topic, I think the FF's are getting more worse. From my opinion, Square is putting graphics in front of everything else. I do hope that they start working more on those side games like the Chrono series etc.

Mercenary
08-02-2004, 04:36 AM
I hope you are talking about FFX-2, the crappiest RPG on the face of this universe

Indeed I am.

Wilder
08-04-2004, 04:05 PM
Hi, All the people that is saying here that the Final Fantasy serie is getting Easy and commercial is right, but from another point of view, It can´t be the same , there are more than 18 Final fantasy games, it got to change. In my opinion Hironoba is gettin less work each sequel, bussy with others projects and different people is touching the development, Final fantasy have became a World phenomenon , it stop being a little Hardcore RPG oriented to Game Extremist. Everybody wants to sit down , play it and enjoy it without getting killed or bored and that not bad, see what people say about FFV " It´s amazing, difficult, a perfect RPG... But the story is just sooo boring", when the masterminds behind FF discover that a story can be puted in a game and make the player Cry and Laugh, like a interactive movie, definitly thats the real trademark Of Final Fantasy. some people found FFVIII just hard !, ther´s also lot of challenges for we all fans, hidden things, imposible alternative Boss. Making and agradable game full of feelings have make this serie long, I´t cant be so bad.

Lamia
08-04-2004, 10:11 PM
You all are being SILLY!

You know, I am one of those oldschool RPG gamers.
I use to bash the new direction that Final Fantasy was taken.
But you want to know something? I realize to accept it and I have a few points about the new games to point out.

The ONLY reason they're going "downhill" is because they don't feed your pathetic need for nostalgia. You won't accept change. You're all being video gaming bigots.

Here are some facts, the new Final Fantasy games plots characters and storyline is A LOT more intricate. You can't argue this fact.

Final Fantasy X's Battle system is EXTREMELY improved in SO many ways over previous Final Fantasies.

Final Fantasy X was innovating for FF in the way you could break HP limit and HP damage. Although a linear game until the game,... when you get to explore at the end, the world is very vast and there is a lot to learn about Spira, and although this is true for msot Final Fantasies, it's particularly true for X.

The story was epic and thought provoking, with a few bad transitions here and there... But, it was still a pretty impactful story which resulted in one of the best endings in Final Fantasy (as far as being able to draw conclusions about the characters emotions)...

Final Fantasy 1-4 had generic (but lovable) characters that you
pretty much had to use your imagination to give them substance as
characters (which is actually a lot of fun)

Final Fantasy 5 is a bit of a bastard game... mix of the previous and what is about to come....

Final Fantasy 6 and 7 are alike in many ways despite being
on two different platforms. Improvement starts to really show here.
Well, depends on what you think of as improvement. I am sure
there were people like, "Ugh!" as some of you were about X! :O

Final Fantasy 8 - bastard game.

Final Fantasy 9 was a dip into nostalgia and faired to be a pretty nice game.

Final Fantasy X... a new turning point for final fantasy, and impressive on all levels... No reasons to NOT like it besides for the fact that it's different.

Anyway Final Fantasy SALES A LOT! It's NO NEAR from DYING...
These newer games are selling more than the other ones.
It's just a certain fanbases opinions that think that quality is "going downhill" - but they buy the games anyway, and probably still will.

I am a fan of nostalgia, though. I DO prefer the cheesy, 2 dementional (on all levels, not just graphics) RPGs... But I have great respect for the new powerful vast RPGs of today and I do enjoy them.

Savannah
08-09-2004, 01:04 PM
I'm offended, really. As it usually happens in this ugly world I again read some harsh words about anime written by a person obviously not knowing anime... It's so sad...

Because the only reason I could possibly be dissing anime would be that I've never SEEN anime, right? :rolleyes: Wrong. I've seen a lot of anime and used to be a big fan. I still am, to some degree (and by some degree, I mean I ONLY watch Yoshitoshi ABe's stuff, because it's usually the only stuff worth a damn).

I've seen a lot of anime. I'm not saying it's all crap or that anyone who likes it is childish. It's just that I don't like seeing a Final Fantasy game come off looking like an episode of some mediocre anime that uses childish humor, chicks with huge boobs, and guys with gravity-defying hair. And I'm not sure why you guys are arguing this so strongly, since the main gripe about FFIX is that it was too childish. FFX broke away from all this, a trend I'd like to see continue.

I like FF7 and FFX as well and both games are ANIME games for God's sake!

Almost forgot, FF never had, has or will have *hopes* anything in common with cartoons.

Um, so which are you saying? That FF is anime or that it isn't?
Video games and anime are two very different things, obviously. Which is why I'd like to see Final Fantasy be just a little more mature than most anime shows.

CloudySky
08-10-2004, 07:28 PM
Video games and anime are two very different things, obviously.
1. No, they aren't very different and how could they possibly be.
2. Lain is a decent anime, but not the best.
3. FF9 is too easy and childish.
4. Yes, there are lot of anime for kids. So what? It doesn't mean anything.
5. I know about 50 (probably there is much more) animes which are marvellous, deep and much better then any western movie I ever saw. I'm too lazy to post list.

Which is why I'd like to see Final Fantasy be just a little more mature than most anime shows.
FF is mature and if you try to compare it with the worst anime or kids' anime, I don't understand it. FF keeps up with highest anime standards, lol.
I would like it to remain so. Amen.

Wilder
08-10-2004, 08:23 PM
I believe all the people that is booing the new FF should go and play over and over FF 1 and 2 , you can´t tell square "hey , make a good rpg you jerks !" because that´s what they´re doing, but they´re thinking about all their costumers not only the RPG difficult maniacs, nothing can escape from evolution , and FF is not an exception. Maybe the problem is not the game, maybe all you people are beginning to change your minds and probably you don´t like Games as you were 5 or 6 years ago, I´m playing FFX-2 and It don´t have really catch me until now, but new players that are meeting FF trough X-2, they LOVE IT , they have never seen something like that, I´m waiting for XII and when I get it I´ll try to be a child again to enjoy it like the first time I played It, Games grow up and people too.

FInalfantasyfinatic4
08-12-2004, 08:51 PM
hey guys i havent visited these forums in a while good to see the forums are active :). now for my 2 cents.

Final fantasy will never come to an end. you know why? well i am planing to become a video game desighner and i have so many i deas for a final fantasy game. square recruit new people that have good ideas. FInal fantasy is squares best buisness game series think they will end it just like that? i think not. if they do end it then it wouldnt realy matter dependingon how KH2 does it will be squares 2nd option if final fantasy goes downhill. too bad they werent involved in Xenosaga cause that game would also make money for em. you also have to remmeber that enix made grandia, even tho grandia xtreme was a rip i liked the series. But right now final fantasy is square enixes best series. and if they do end it, they will bring out another grandia, as well as more to come KHs. but for now its safe to say that final fantasy will be here longer than you think.

Savannah
08-13-2004, 10:43 PM
1. No, they aren't very different and how could they possibly be.
Because one is animation and the other is a video game? Both projected on your TV screen and both from Japan (in this case), but that doesn't make them the same thing.

2. Lain is a decent anime, but not the best.
Never said it was.

3. FF9 is too easy and childish.
Exactly. If that's what you didn't like about FF9, you don't want any other games to be easy and childish, do you?

4. Yes, there are lot of anime for kids. So what? It doesn't mean anything.
I wasn't referring to children's anime, per say. A lot of anime aimed at teenagers is pretty goofy and childish, too.

5. I know about 50 (probably there is much more) animes which are marvellous, deep and much better then any western movie I ever saw. I'm too lazy to post list.
That's great. I'm not talking about the anime shows/movies that are actually good. I'm talking about the ones that aren't any good that I don't want FF to emulate.

FF is mature and if you try to compare it with the worst anime or kids' anime, I don't understand it. FF keeps up with highest anime standards, lol.
I would like it to remain so. Amen.
I would like FF to remain mature too. But I saw more cheap anime gimmicks than I'd like in past games (FFVII and FFIX, mostly), something that FFXII is hopefully going to abolish completely.

aeris2001x2
08-13-2004, 11:29 PM
i dont dont recall any cheap childish Anime gimic in any FF game...

but i do recognise the genius and maturity of Anime style FF and its dominion over anything western and drawing with the most genius Animes.

Del Murder
08-14-2004, 06:34 PM
I'd rather have a childish game than another FFX, personally. The adult world is so much more boring.

Trumpet Thief
08-14-2004, 06:57 PM
I'd rather have a childish game than another FFX, personally. The adult world is so much more boring.

chaos: Agreed. FF is starting to get to "real life-ish" when it is supposed to be a Fantasy. That's why it's called Final Fantasy for God's Sake!

Rubedo: FFX wasn't that great IMO. It was very predictable sometimes, and the main character was jut too much for me to bear. I would've preferred Auron or something instead. Seymour was great too. I actually liked him his a villan as I liked Kefka and Albedo.

S3pHiR0tH34
08-16-2004, 08:17 AM
hmmmm hard question i dont really know, i hope it isnt but if it is at its end then it had a good run

DJZen
08-18-2004, 04:42 AM
I'd just like to say, regarding the whole anime thing, it's just a style. Drawing characters a certain way doesn't make them any more or less mature. If you want to see what I'm talking about, watch Ninja Scroll, then watch Hamtaro, then watch Serial Experiments Lain, then watch Yu-Gi-Oh!, then watch Akira. Anime is capable of being incredible stupid and childish, just it's also capable of being deep and mature, just as it's also capable of being obnoxiously juvenile and gratuitously violent. It's not superior or inferior to western animation either. I challenge anime's biggest proponents to find fault with the animation of Don Bluth or Ralph Bakshi. Of course, I also challenge the people who rush to put down anime to find fault with Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, Nausiica of the Valley of the Wind, or Cowboy Bebop. Really it's like arguing over apples and oranges.

That said, I don't think Final Fantasy is going in a terribly anime derivative direction. Neither Yoshitaka Amano nor Tetsuya Nomura are working on the series any more, they're using the same designer that worked on FFTA, which KINDA had anime influence I GUESS. It really felt more fantasy video game influenced to me though. Now, if you want a REALLY anime influenced RPG, play Dragon Warrior sometime. Heck, they even have AKIRA TORIYAMA WORKING ON IT! You really CAN'T get more anime than that.

Depressio
08-18-2004, 09:20 PM
i have a feeling that the final fantasy series is going to reach its end soon... my guess is that it will stop around XV (15)... ff1 was excellent, and it continued to be excellent... though it wasn't immensly popular before ff7, as ff7 was the first 3-D FF game, with a captivating story and memorable characters (though i did like ff6 a little better)... ff8 wasn't as good as ff7 (well, i haven't finished ff8, because my third disc keeps freezing in one spot, and it makes me sad :( ) , but ff9 was incredible... but when they released ffx, it started to go downhill... and i notice that so many of the storylines are similar... i mean, how far can you go with one storyline? frankly, i don't think there are going to be too many more FFs, as square is gonna run out of ideas. maybe in the future, they will start remaking their old FFs with enhanced graphics and music... but who knows? final fantasy could continue to FFXXXII for all we know! square is going to continue making them as long as they sell, and my guess is that they are going to start remaking more and more games.

DJZen
08-19-2004, 02:20 AM
They'll run out of games to remake long before they run out of fresh material.

Lon611
08-22-2004, 10:30 PM
how're they running out of new ideas? in terms of gameplpay: ctb,sphere grid,monster arena,luca theatre,and online components are really gr8 ideas. in terms of story/and plot, each ff is a master piece. it jus depends which one you personally favor over another.

i don't kno if this is done in ffxi, but how about using an eye toy for future ff games?like making you one of the main characters. sort of like tony hawks underground. ne takers?

:meditate:

DMKA
08-24-2004, 05:42 PM
i dont no, i prefered 6 through x-2 then 1 through 5
Same here.

See, you forget, you peopke are basing statistics off of your own individual opinions as if you're stating facts. Just because you think "OMG FFX IZ DEE SUX0RZ" or "DAM X-2 HAS NON THA SUMON DAT IS GHEY" doesn't mean they're actually bad. I, personally, love both games, and FFX is my 2nd favorite game of all time after FFVII. Plus, X and X-2 were INSANELY popular. The only FF more popular than X is probably VII, so they're obviously doing somethign right when YOU say they're 'getting worse and worse'...yet they're making more and more money...hmm.

So my short answer is no.

CloudySky
08-25-2004, 06:37 PM
See, you forget, you peopke are basing statistics off of your own individual opinions as if you're stating facts. Just because you think "OMG FFX IZ DEE SUX0RZ" or "DAM X-2 HAS NON THA SUMON DAT IS GHEY" doesn't mean they're actually bad. I, personally, love both games, and FFX is my 2nd favorite game of all time after FFVII. Plus, X and X-2 were INSANELY popular. The only FF more popular than X is probably VII, so they're obviously doing somethign right when YOU say they're 'getting worse and worse'...yet they're making more and more money...hmm.
The brilliance of mature mind, I co-sign that if I'm allowed.

DMKA
08-26-2004, 02:37 AM
The brilliance of mature mind, I co-sign that if I'm allowed.
Yes...yes you are. :D

chionos
09-06-2004, 06:51 AM
hmmm.

FFvii-ix + tactics + anthology + origins + chronicles = $$$$$ for ps1
Square's STILL making money off of the games, years after their original releases. i don't think the question should be, is square going to give up on final fantasy, but should final fantasy give up on square. whatever that means.

i like the look of xii, i will buy it and play it and love it i'm sure. why not just relax and wait til the game friggin comes out before you decide about squenix's fate. you're a bunch of presumptuous kids who really have no clue at all what will happen in the future(neither do i). why not wait for it to come to you, instead of hunting it down like a red-neck with your shotgun and your hound-dog. you make a lot of noise and in the end all you have is a hole in your shoe and a lot of blood lost.

bleh

oloz
09-07-2004, 08:11 PM
but when they released ffx, it started to go downhill...

Well there has only been X-2 and XI which was online. I haven't played either but can you really say that its gone completely down hill with these two games? I believe that square will continue the final fantasy series until it stops making them money.

FFFreakX-2
09-08-2004, 04:55 AM
I Think Square Should really Be Lookin At Dragon Warrior Right Now! When Was The Last Time They Made A Dragon Warroir Game!!!!

XxSephirothxX
09-12-2004, 02:44 AM
Well, the next Dragon Warrior game IS in development over at Square Enix...maybe with the Square guys collaborating it'll be really good. I think the Final Fantasy series will stay around as long as it continues to make money. Hopefully Advent Children won't tank and cause them to loose scads of money like The Spirits Within did...how much money has Advent Children cost to produce anyway? Anyone know? Back on topic, I'm sure they'll contine well past XII....I can't wait to see what Square can do with the next generation of hardware!

DJZen
09-13-2004, 06:50 AM
i don't kno if this is done in ffxi, but how about using an eye toy for future ff games?like making you one of the main characters. sort of like tony hawks underground.

Actually, that WOULD be an interesting idea in a "characterless" FF game like FFI or FFIII. FFXI doesn't make use of this feature, for the record.

I'm fairly sure DW/Q VIII is actually done already, they just don't want to release it too close to their other titles.

I think we can all agree now that it's silly to bash FFXII when it hasn't even been released yet. If it comes out and it really IS a horrible game, we can bash it then, but until then, let's NOT give it a pre-emptive strike. PLEASE?

DMKA
09-13-2004, 03:06 PM
I think we can all agree now that it's silly to bash FFXII when it hasn't even been released yet. If it comes out and it really IS a horrible game, we can bash it then, but until then, let's NOT give it a pre-emptive strike. PLEASE?
Amazingly enough, someone has the same feeling I do.

Ferril Shadow
09-21-2004, 08:08 AM
I joined on ff8, I loved it, ff7 just didn't do anything for me, doesn’t mean it was bad. But I do believe ff is coming to an end. Their only salvation would be a return to a tactics, completely customizable character system and sweat graphics. A lot like ff x-2, but with more characters, and more customizable options. If you read my post, (what is your favorite class) in the tactics forum, you would understand what I meant. A console based set of games that you could go online with and test out your parties' strength, battle tactics, and looks. If anyone has played Armored Core 1-silent line, you would understand the enjoyment of customizing your own mech, and making him the top of the arena, or basting through impossible missions and coming out with one hp left, just barely winning. It is that freedom to make your own way through a game that gives it playability. In every FF I have played ffx-2 and tactics come the closest to achieving this. This could possibly be the end for FF, unless they realize in a better way the capabilities on the internet and online play, and complete customization of their games. :cry:

DMKA
09-21-2004, 06:21 PM
I joined on ff8, I loved it, ff7 just didn't do anything for me, doesn’t mean it was bad. But I do believe ff is coming to an end. Their only salvation would be a return to a tactics, completely customizable character system and sweat graphics. A lot like ff x-2, but with more characters, and more customizable options. If you read my post, (what is your favorite class) in the tactics forum, you would understand what I meant. A console based set of games that you could go online with and test out your parties' strength, battle tactics, and looks. If anyone has played Armored Core 1-silent line, you would understand the enjoyment of customizing your own mech, and making him the top of the arena, or basting through impossible missions and coming out with one hp left, just barely winning. It is that freedom to make your own way through a game that gives it playability. In every FF I have played ffx-2 and tactics come the closest to achieving this. This could possibly be the end for FF, unless they realize in a better way the capabilities on the internet and online play, and complete customization of their games. :cry:
Dude, did you not read my first post in this thread? Do you have any clue how much friggin' money they made off the last two games and how insanely popular they are? And don't even get into FFXI...its not coming to an end, especially with the popularity and how much they're profiting off these games.

FAPPAGE!

master01
09-23-2004, 03:08 PM
i think FF will never stop comming, because there is no main plot to all, it's a new game every time. (accept FFX-2 <i dinaing his excistent)

Wanderlust
09-23-2004, 07:31 PM
Why are some of you people trying to convince others that games, such as X, weren't as good? It's all a matter of personal preferance. If the characters/storyline dont' appeal to you, they will surely appeal to someone else.

And, getting back to the point of this thread, no, I don't think this is the end of Final Fantasy, and I'm glad. They have so many FF related games/movies in developement right now, that are sure to bring in millions of dollars.

FFWorshiper
09-26-2004, 10:56 PM
The end of FF will be the end of the world...Or at least my end lol

Squaresoft has no where to go but up, as long as they keep producing such kick ass storylines like FFX.

DMKA
09-27-2004, 01:53 AM
Squaresoft has no where to go but up, as long as they keep producing such kick ass storylines like FFX.
You mean SquareEnix, right? Squaresoft no longer exsist. :(

listentomystory
10-02-2004, 12:51 PM
chaos: Agreed. FF is starting to get to "real life-ish" when it is supposed to be a Fantasy. That's why it's called Final Fantasy for God's Sake!

Rubedo: FFX wasn't that great IMO. It was very predictable sometimes, and the main character was jut too much for me to bear. I would've preferred Auron or something instead. Seymour was great too. I actually liked him his a villan as I liked Kefka and Albedo.

i cant see where your coming from with this what i love with x is that its almost primitive no technology or nothing in comparison with vii where it was all technology for most of the game. now im not dogging vii in any way, it deserves to be up there with the all time greats but i always felt that x was way more like a fantasy game than vii ever was, well thats just my opinion anyway.

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
10-03-2004, 11:45 AM
X was sortof real-life ish but it still maintained that ff feel....now the good about it is that ....i think that you can apply it in reality and with whats going on in the world i think we all need that...like a step back in the world and its sortof cool its that what made final fantasy 7 so believable! and it turned out to be my favourite FF!....personally my opinion i would prefer PURE fantasy! with the exception of ff7 it just takes me away......i sound so cheesy but thats what made 9 so cool....the ff9 world was so "out of this world" and thats what i like about FF so again im stting on the fence on this one both sides have its "attractiveness" that make ff so popular!

As for the end of FF....nah ....why stop here and now....it would be interesting to see squareenix's direction later on....and to tie on with the earlier arguement....will the be more realistic or fantasy-ish? either way i was a fan to begin with and i'll be a fan to the end!

listentomystory
10-04-2004, 12:51 PM
X was sortof real-life ish but it still maintained that ff feel....now the good about it is that ....i think that you can apply it in reality and with whats going on in the world i think we all need that...like a step back in the world and its sortof cool its that what made final fantasy 7 so believable! and it turned out to be my favourite FF!....personally my opinion i would prefer PURE fantasy! with the exception of ff7 it just takes me away......i sound so cheesy but thats what made 9 so cool....the ff9 world was so "out of this world" and thats what i like about FF so again im stting on the fence on this one both sides have its "attractiveness" that make ff so popular!

As for the end of FF....nah ....why stop here and now....it would be interesting to see squareenix's direction later on....and to tie on with the earlier arguement....will the be more realistic or fantasy-ish? either way i was a fan to begin with and i'll be a fan to the end!

well said

KentaRawr!
10-05-2004, 03:10 PM
We may not like X or X-2, but a whole bunch of other people do lol I like FFX, havn't played X-2... Alot were dissapointed with ff spirits within, but I loved it lol. So, if some don't like it, others will.. FFX and X-2 appear to be giving them a whole bunch of money! And XI! with its foolish price, and 10's of thousands of members, they are making alot of money off of that. And I hear that XII is going to be set in Ivalice. I think that this is a good choice, alot of people like Final Fantasy Tactics!

Dignified Pauper
10-13-2004, 02:59 PM
I have to agree, I think the end is coming to FF. FF has been known for traditional ethics in their games.

A title of a game series sets forth the ethics and what to expect for a game... For example, I would have rather they named "Final Fantasy XI" "Final Fantasy Online", it denotes a different format that steps away from the Final Fantasy "rules" and "ethics". Now Final Fantasy XII is doing away with MANY of these classic "rules" and "ethics" that we all came to love. Random Battles, World Maps, these are the things that were key in FF games. To take away these is to make a new game that doesn't fit in with the rest of the series. FFX was a big drawback in my opinion, some people loved the changes, I didn't think they were bad, but they surely were not following the traditional FF guidelines.

dark_life
10-15-2004, 07:55 AM
I reckon they should make a final, final fantasy game, which includes all the characters from past Final Fantasy games, or at least the main characters from each. :)

Remnant
10-27-2004, 04:09 AM
It has definitely changed over the years, but really, that is probably why it is still around today.

I just went back and played IV recently. Back before you left your crew on the airship (I mean, how could you, you go through so many of the things)- this meant, your party could never really exceed the max size (5), which really, I think, lead to the exceptional fatality (or preceived fatality) rate in the game.

I mean, between Kaine's betrayals, the sinking of the ship and swallowing of the girl you had just saved, the twins sacrificing themselves, Tellah's dying attack, Yang's sacrifice, heck, even Cid looked like a goner (Jumping off an airship and detonating a bomb with you doesn't seem very healthy). Granted, many are found wounded or restored at the end, but at the time the attrition rate is almost depressing

All that changed with the advent of leaving everyone aboard the airship, deaths weren't as semi-arbitrary. It was a different feel- a lateral shift, not really better or worse IMHO, just different. A part of the feel of the game changed. And that is what keeps this series alive.

DanoruX
10-27-2004, 06:27 AM
FFXII will probably be the FFVI of this decade. Rediculously awesome.

Osiron
11-01-2004, 03:04 AM
What kind of question is that?????? There is no way ff's end is near. The games have all sold like crazy. Square would have to be crazy to end the series if the games sell like they are. The quitting of Nobuo probably will hurt though.... Also, I don't know about you other people. My first ff game was VII and I loved it. I also loved VIII. I still don't see why a lot of people just can't seem to like both games. I have loved every single one of the games, and the way i see it, XII won't change that.

Cloud_Strider
11-05-2004, 04:19 PM
As long as there is money in the banks and consoles to throw the money into, Final Fantasy will not end. Mario has hardly sold since Mario 64, and Nintendo is still going.

cloud10001
11-13-2004, 07:58 PM
It's interesting to see the mixed opinions of the FF fans out there. I've got one of my own, so here goes.
I started playing the FF series when 7 came out. (Ahh, what better game to lose your RPG virginity to?) I think the reason FF7 was so popular was because Square was eager to reach a large fanbase. They were thinking about the storyline in the same vein as their previous releases for the SNES, and they may not have anticipated the boom they'd receive from a PSX release; basically, their focus was on storyline, not on graphics because, lets face it, storyline is all you've got on a 16 bit console (or is it 32? I always forget.)
This created two seperate but equal extremes of the Final Fantasy Series, between which most fans fall. On one side of the scale, there's the old Final Fantasy style with big heads, outlandish characters, a save-the-world plot, and an overall feeling of fantasy (as opposed to science fiction, which I'll get to in a moment.) The other extreme was that of the technology-based realism, where you had to make decisions to influence the plot, and where the main point of the story could be to convey live between two characters. I personally fall into the former category. I loves me some Final Fantasy IX.
So after FFVII, Square was left with a decision to make: stay with the old style or pursue a new avenue. Thus FFVIII was released. Some believed the world and characters were too dark, while others said it was realistic. Many fans were upset about the lack of old standards (A/N: Or that DAMNED JUNCTIONING SYSTEM), but many others were happy with the changes.
To appease the other fans, Final Fantasy IX was released. It returned to the old styles and staples, but the newer fans believed it to be too cartoony and ridiculous. Square obviously figured out that you can't please all of the people some of the time, so they've settled for pleasing some of the people some of the time by switching between the two styles.
FFX was a failure to many. The release of the first Final Fantasy on the PS2 could've been as potent as the release of FFVII for the PSX, but I believe that the production staff at Square is a group of living, breathing people, just like us. Some may have believed the game would sell on the merits of the PS2 alone, some may have been uninspired, some may have believed the release of the PS2 would overshadow all of their hard work. I can't say for sure; I'm not a part of the Square staff. Whatever the reason for it, it was another pass at the new style. Some fans still liked it, and it did have the most realistic look of the series at the time of it's release. Remember, not every FF can be a gem. "The sweet is never as sweet without the sour."
I have no excuse for FFX-2. May it burn in hell.
Honestly, I think FFX-2 was released because Square saw a vastly untapped resource in a female consumer base. I didn't play it very far before setting it down. In disgust, I might add.
With their plot-line cataclysms of FFX and FFX-2, they had the release of FFXI, the first (and with any luck, the only) release of a Final Fantasy Massive Multiplayer Online RPG. There were some major glitches in the Japan release that were, with any luck, worked out for the US. I've heard raving about how fantastic the game is from other gamers. From the looks of it, Square (now SquareEnix) returned invariably to the old style again. The only problem is the cost. If you don't have a computer, an internet connection, a subscription to the online world, and of course, the game (with optional expansion pack), you're out of luck. Some have even taken to selling their fictional money from the game for real money! Now would be a good time to remember that SquareEnix is a business based in games, but a business nonetheless. A business that has done an impeccable job of catering to the consumer; giving them what they want, even if they didn't know they wanted it.
Now, with the release of FFXII, yet another return to the old style, fans are beginning to ask if the series will draw to a close in the forseeable future. My prediction is no. The downward trend is obvious, but SquareEnix (more specifically, Square) has had more daring comebacks in the past. Between their releases of FFVII: Advent Children, FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus, FFVII: Before Crisis, FFXII, and their release of the future FFXIII (which, if following the pattern, will be a "new style" FF), I believe the Final Fantasy Series will continue until the original creators such as Nobuo Uematsu leave. At this point, either they will be replaced with someone who will revolutionize the FF series, giving it new blood to keep moving, or their replacement will not live up to the expectations set by their predecessor and may be replaced again. Either way, the concept of the Final Fantasy Series is that these RPGs are in no way interconnected. They each have different worlds with different characters, different styles and different systems to progress with. With such a multitude of venues to explore, I'm sure we will have something to look forward to from SquareEnix in the future.

Itsunari 2000
11-18-2004, 05:20 PM
Long live Final Fantasy !

Dark Ekonis
11-22-2004, 09:14 PM
I started when FF I was released on the dinosaur nintendo. and I played U.S. II and III on the Super nintendo, I was addicted to the series then, I actually quit for a few years and then VII came out for the PS and rekindled my obsession, and the following games just kept reeling me in more, They just keep getting better IMO. I am an old school gamer from the beginning of the RPG years and still going strong, I personally believe that SE and the FF series is like a fine wine, keeps getting better with age......

Slade
12-05-2004, 10:01 AM
I dont think the series will end for a while. But with all these sequels (most of them not even needed cough Dirge of Ceberus cough crisis core or whatever its called) i think maybe we might be seeing less of the normal roman numerals and more of 'Final Fantasy VI -2' Or 'Final Fantasy XI: The atomic fish' sort of stuff. (Hope not....but probably)

And in regards to some posts ive been reading about the series declining.....i think in most cases (note i said MOST ok? MOOOOOST!) the first game that introduced them to FF is their fav: hence the reson why FFVII usually wins the polls. For me VIII was the first one i played and it is my fav by far.

Yuffie514
12-15-2004, 05:51 PM
NEVER! Final Fantasy didn't come a long way for nothing. my support goes all the way for Final Fantasy. besides, even if XII is the last of the Final Fantasy games, i'm sure the series will be revived some day. that happened to FFVII right? i mean, we're all still expecting Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus.

Wuggly Blight
12-15-2004, 06:04 PM
Im sure it will end, but not soon. I would only guess it would be around 15, if it was the last they would say and hype it up as the sales point. Besides as long as the title sells it will stay and at the moment final fantasy is a large title to square, and a gaint in rpg's.

Slade
12-16-2004, 02:34 AM
This might sound dumb but i always thought that Square would end at 12 because it is the final numba on a clock. And since clocks are repeated, who knows how many times in FFs, i might have something.

But in saying that maybe theyll go till 24 taking after a 24 hour clock?

Heh :D

Barney
12-18-2004, 12:45 AM
Personally i like games with a dark plote to them but a sort of happy story, like Final Fantasy 7 and 8, they are my two favorites probablly.

Final Fantasy 7: I loved the story and the characters and cant wait for the film. It wasnt linear and had great replay value. It was amazing not much else to say about it.

Final Fantasy 8: I fort was amazing too, and a classic for a lot of people, I know many people disagree but you sholudnt just start downgrading it and puting it off for others before they play it like its a mater of fact when really its only your opinion. Try playing it without comparing it to other games and put yourself in the characters shoes and then 8 really gets across the stronge love/war story with many twist and turns in, and it is funny in some parts..

Final Fantasy 9: I havnt played it properly, but from what i have played it seemed ok, but not as good as 7 or 8 or 10, but i will still get it eventually and play it through. Probly my least favorite.

Final Fantays 10: Im loving it at the moment (only got to defender-x boss) The opening movie is amazing, the graphics are top class. I also like the speech in it as it helps bring the characters a live although i think tidus sounds a bit cheesy at times but he is still cool. I dont think the story is with out its twist and turns in story line, and i dont think it is a linear story line. But i do undestand where people are coming from when they say you cant stary far from the main path, (unlike 7 or 8 where you can go off all over the place) and going to each temple is a bit repetative. The characters are good and I think seymour is a really good character i hated him from the start, not becasue its a rubbish game but because he is evil and he had just the right look about him.

Final fantasy 10-2: I havnt palyed it yet, but i dont like the look of it. I will still buy it though.

As for is the end of the series ,near, i think not for the same reasons as many other people, those being, they generate a lot of publicity and money for the company and because they change the storyline and the gameplay (which is chanding more dramstricly each time.) this brings in fresh players. I do however do not like the sound of Fianl Fantasy 12's battle system as I have always loved the Final Fantasy series for its turned based battle system as opposed to real time ones like dot.hack (which is a great game none the less.) I believe that 10 was ment to be there major break through (like 7 was on psx) in terms of groundbreaking gameplay, because they had actors for the voice, the best graphics so far, it was to be realeased on the ps2 (which was quite new at the time) , it had a more varried level up system than 7 and 8 because you actually got to choose which skills you want or not.But sadly this was not what a lot of veterin players were looking for or hoping for and so i think that Final Fantasy 12 or 13 or 14, around those titles will decide the fate for the series. I believe they will make many more titles after 12 13 or 14 aslong as they make money but they will lose a lot of profit and fans from them if they are not hits, which will lead to Square creating lots of sequals and spin offs to the greater classic Final Fantasys to keep the older fans to keep spending cash on them. I hope 12 is good, i really do. and i never want the series to end, i also hope they more films but not like spirits within, more like advent children.

My opinion : 7, 8 , 10, are great. 9, 10-2 look ok. 12 who knows yet, will see when its out.
**Please stop downgrading all the games you dont like as if its a fact, just state your opinion and leave it to other people to decide upon there point of view, after all its only a game.***

I think ive said everything i want to for now.lol. :eek:

one_winged_angel
12-18-2004, 11:29 PM
I don't think that Sqaure are about to give it up just yet. They ran into a lot of financial difficulty after FFtSW bombed but then they merged with Enix and that helped them out a bit. I think that, as they have done with FFXI, moving into the MMORPG market will earn them a lot of cash so they look to be sorted for at least a while.

JayDee
12-23-2004, 11:04 AM
IMO they should've stopped after IX and maybe even started a new series.
I hope XIII is the last.
with this one they should make one that every fan will enjoy
have lots of references from all the games (except X and X-2 :mad: )
I hope that they stop concentrating on graphics
also bring back the world map and random battles,
without them it's not Final fantasy

P.S none of this will EVER happen
:funone:

Slay1023
12-26-2004, 02:49 AM
Im pretty sure they'll do it again cause they have to because those were the best ff games yet.I'll keep looking on square-enix .com & ffextreme.com and if you can look to and find anything could you please e-mail me at wisam1023@sbcglobal.net

Thanks,
sam :)

Yumemiru
01-01-2005, 10:03 PM
To be honest I realy think that may be end of this game. Square has mede a lot of "Finals" and I think that they may stop it. They realy don't have any ideas. For example FFX-2. They have broken everything, whe they made this game. The naxt chapter of story??? It's not FF. ( To be honest I like FFX-2 :love: but it wasn't the same way of this game). And story of it wasn't something special. I'd like to don't know the story of Yuna and Tidus but I prefere new game with new characters. That will be something much more interesting when FFX is chapter without continue. I thing thet FF is only now the machina to make money. They don't put heart in it. But of corse I'd like to see new story of new characters in new FF. Btw. Do you think that FFXII will be the last FF on PS2 and I will have to buy PS3 to play FFXIII???

Wilder
01-02-2005, 12:22 AM
Well, I was talking one of these days with my dear friend nostradamus and he told me in that confusing funny way he talks this : " A River of gold is running trough the Big square, Two Big F´s followed by infinite numbers , dark times comes, rumors of sequels you´ll hear , fake´s pictures everywhere ... Final fantasy is forever pal, I even got em all here !" . well, I´m not good to understand that message, But my opinion is that Ir´s going to end , when we all stop buying the game , Are you going to stop ?, cause I´m not, Unless the game get very very poor quality.

Kathryn
01-02-2005, 07:52 AM
wait wait wait.
You had SEX with the game :screwy:

that's ferel
SOOO feral that I'm spewing :barf:

YUCK!!!! :Oo: :whoa: :barf: :nibbles: :chef: :magus: :save:

Sweet Beloved
01-02-2005, 08:09 AM
that's ferel
SOOO feral that I'm spewing :barf:

YUCK!!!! :Oo: :whoa: :barf: :nibbles: :chef: :magus: :save:

Okay....Now i'm gonna barf...dude... :barf: Ughh..

N-E-ways Here's how I see it. They probably will continue creating the games. I mean, they are the best in RPG. :tongue:

Emily52
01-02-2005, 10:56 PM
wait wait wait.
That's funny *Laughs*

J.D
01-03-2005, 05:12 AM
wait wait wait.

Sex Can Be Known Also As Gettin Pleasure From Someone, Or Somethin At Times
:rolleyes2

Anyway, FF Cant End Now, To Be Honest, Its The Best RPG Out There
And As For What I´ve Seen
FF XII Should Rule

Now, I´ve Heard FF X-2 Sucks For Real Cause Of The Storyline (Girlpower And Stuff) But The Batlle System Was Actually Good , Im Sure It´ll Be Better On FF XII, Lets Just Wait And See ^__^

olstar18
01-03-2005, 05:58 AM
OVER AN HOUR TO READ ALL THAT AND I GOTTA GO TO BED FOR AN INTERVIEW TOMORROW. Ok enough yelling on to the point of this message. Every single one of you seem to be making the same exact mistake. You are comparing the games. You should only compare sequals and prequals because that is how you can realy tell if it has improved or not. If they add to the characters without changing what was layed down by the other games then it is good if it changes the basics then it is bad. And about the battle system for 12 being bad because they changed it. Don't you realize that every game changed the battle system.
ff1 the game I started on, you all know this warrior thief black belt white mage black mage. simple but it became insanely popular.
ff2 they took out character classes and levels and had you improve your characters by constantly using spells and generaly having your head handed to you.
ff3 brought back levels and introduced the class system, I would say more about it but so far i havn't had time to play it much
ff4 threw out the class system and used an offshoot of the original where every character had a basic class that decided what abilities they had. also got rid of buying magic.
ff5 a return of the class system and buying magic only this time with a better storyline owing to the fact that it has characters to develop as you go through the game.
ff6 the so called holy grail. all characters were basicaly the same except for the fact that each character had their own unique special ability terra transforming celes runic sword etc..
ff7 the introduction of materia and the limit break. you actualy have to think more about what equipment you use so you can use the different spells and you again have to buy magic
ff8 more limit breaks only now with most of the characters you have to do something to make their limit breaks more powerful whether hitting r1 at the right time or using items on her and you have to find magic or steal it from your foes and then the summons which will protect you while you character prepares it and then do damage as well as increasing your strength and allowing you to boost stats with your magic levels also increase your strength only slightly which makes it where you have to junction the summons and magic to have a chance later on and a complete change to the weapons system where you have to find certain items to get them
ff9 you now learn skills and magic from the armor and weapons you use adn the limit breaks are no longer single attack spells and whatnot they have a time limit during which they can do stuff like double cast or just become a great deal stronger and like zidane where you get a new set of incredibly powerful skills that he can use the classes also come back but there isn't much emphasis on them
ff10 now you can switch out characters in the middle of battle and if you think that isn't important then think about this you can now have all three positions filled with your heavy hitters and when they are near death switch one of them out with yuna and heal them or get some magic in and your characters no longer level up but they are able to move around a grid filled with powerups which let you customize their skills so eventualy rikku could become the most powerful character and auron the best magic user (and about you already figuring out that seymor was the villain i know a guy who said that after he beat it problem is i was there when he first saw seymor and after the scene i asked him what he though of him, i had already beaten it at the time, and he thought seymor was a good guy if unusual for a leader of a religion) and you didn't have to new weapons to make your characters stronger all they did was gave you bonuses
ffx-2 brought back the class system so that you could change classes in the middle of battle got rid of the limit breaks but gave you special dresspheres which if you were in a realy tight spot could easily save you also got rid of levels and completly eliminated changing weapons and armor
ff11 i won't talk about since i do not consider it part of the rest of the series i know it sound kind of hypocritical but i also completly hate everquest and any other online game where you have to pay after you buy it
if you cant figure out why i just typed all of this it is to make a point the foundation of the series is inovation and many of you despise some of these games because of the changes that were made whether through animation or battle style whatever either way you are rejecting the thing that made it great whatever you do don't say anymore about how bad a game is because it aint like one of the others they aint connected so you can't compare the storylines just compare the battle systems

p.s. and about the linear story originaly there were supposed to be several endings based on which character tidus had the highest relationship points with so it wasn't just supposed to be yuna he fell in love with it could have been rikku or lulu also least thats what i read don't bother asking where i read it at its been a number of years since

Yuffie514
01-07-2005, 05:52 AM
as a true Final Fantasy fan, i will NEVER think about its future with pessimism.

Captain Red
01-10-2005, 02:35 AM
I do believe that most of you are right by saying that they will keep making games as long as the games make money, but I'm wondering if it will be awkward playing Final Fantasy XXX....

Croyles
01-12-2005, 03:02 AM
I dont understand why so many people hate ffx, i loved it, i love the old games, the new ones, and also the ones in the middle.

however, the worst one must have been 9 in my opinion.

i think they will carry on as long as they can. so i agree with most ppl

Hawkeye
01-12-2005, 03:06 AM
Hopefully I'll get through the game just fine
I don't know why I continue to play each game
They'll be making these 'til the end of time
Oh I guess that I will pay
For these new games 'til Doomsday

Shoden
01-13-2005, 09:17 PM
Final fantasy 8 had the best music in all of the FF series some of the characters were good aswell but i only liked Squall, Zell, Selphie and Irvine. FF8 was highly original in my oppinion it was because it was different to 7 it was so hated for whilst 7 had a cinfusing story for the 1st time through you could get the main plot of 8 first tiem through. 9 was an embarressment, i dont even want to mention it again. X wasnt so bad it had good one good character Auron. if square really wnats to keep Final Fantasy going they will be making better quality games, they ARE remaking 7 and 8 for the playstation 2 9 was but square had 2nd thoughts and dumped it like the crap it is. some games dont need sequels like 8, it just ended perfectly if so then it should focus on another character seifer.

my estimate is that XII is going to be great ive read reviews and the story and it looks brilliant, if this succeeds we'll get final fantasy XX!

Croyles
01-13-2005, 10:45 PM
I liked the music from FFX the most, although i do like ff8s music too, apart from "eyes on me". You have a load of opinions on what ff games you like and dont like, but you seem to think that that is fact. i think its best to see things in a bigger scale if you want to know whether they will carry on making games, like seeing how well most people thought of a particular game, or the sale rate.

Shoden
01-13-2005, 11:06 PM
yeah i want to see what Square has for us in store we are still searching for the Ultimate Finla Fantasy game, Final Fantasy has had it's uos and downs but square need to go back to the older games and see what they done wrong and what they can do to make the perfect Final Fantasy.

Blue Mage
02-02-2005, 03:00 AM
First of all Final Fantasy game rank high above other RPGs and thats that but ranking them in their own series is of course expected heres what i think of them:

FFI: Revolutionary! Saved Square's ass! Nice game all around (of course i could care less about graphics) A+ game!

FFII: I've played 5 min of it...so i can't say anything

FFIII: Dunno i mean the jap FFIII im not sure what one it is @~@

FFIV: If this is the one with Cecil I have to play it again

FFV: I liked the story and the chars and the system,(of course im a fan of the class system), Being able to change classes on the fly was an awesome idea!

FFVI: My fav! AWESOME STORYLINE all the chars had a nice lil' background and struggle. I love Setzer he rules. Great system to it. Love the oprea scenes.

FFVII: second fav, had the best villian ever, system was nice, it limited you in just the right ways since some powerful weapons lacked many materia slots. A lot of love was poured into this game.

FFVIII: Story was iffy, the junction system was odd.....only the main char had a slight background going.....I did play it it was a good game, bad final fantasy

FFIX: the return to medieval was nice. Ok story a good game overall I'd say. Not much to it tho...chars were odd but so was the Yeti and Cait Sith...

FFX : Great graphcs i liked auron.....not much else....voices nice....i also liked naming my chars.....

FFX-2: played it and beat it in one rental (5 days) theres something wrong with that.......square just made a game with girls not a real story there....

FFXI: havent played it love the online idea

Tactics: Played it a bit i like walking around.....

T. Advance: cpuld hasve been better...

and thats all fo0lks!!!

Croyles
02-02-2005, 03:23 PM
ehhhm Cait Sith if of FFVII not FFIX and i dont know what yeti u are talking about and the only char u can name in FFX is Tidus unless you count the aeons. Have you ACTUALLY played them or do u have a really bad memory? just wondering.

FFVII and FFX rule!

Blue Mage
02-03-2005, 02:09 AM
ehhhm Cait Sith if of FFVII not FFIX and i dont know what yeti u are talking about and the only char u can name in FFX is Tidus unless you count the aeons. Have you ACTUALLY played them or do u have a really bad memory? just wondering.

FFVII and FFX rule!

The Yeti was in FFVI and I know cait sith was in VII i said that FFIX's chars were strange but so were two other chars i thought of I've played them and i know you could name Tidus and the Aeons but since their names are never said it didn't mater, i just like naming the chars in FFV you could only name the main char but its amazing gameplay made up for that.

LillyKimilly
02-15-2005, 03:04 PM
Ok. Im sure this thread is probably dead and buried but wen I saw the name I began to hypervantilate and twitch. So I hurridly read through the WHOLE thread (took me ages) and thought I would throw my ideas out there (do ignore me if you so wish to)
FFX was my first Playsation game ever! Appart from Tekken 2 which my brother scratched. Maybe cos I hadn't played the others so didn't know wat SS or SE or wateva they call themselves had to offer, I loved FFX. After finishing the game I tried to get the FFXI but couldnt cos I couldnt afford the online thingys. So I decided to backtrack. And got FFVIII. It was a shock to the system without the voice overs and the graphics, but I found that I really like it reguardless. I think for me the stories are wat is important as thats the bit that stays with you and if a game stays with you then surly thats a good game (I also found Tidus very fit (I have a history of fancying cartoon characters since I was little eg: Peter Pan, Eric in the little mermaid and I even wanted to marry one of the Thunderbirds at age three)). I also felt realli close to the characters reguardless that I couldnt really see thier faces and expressions like you could in FFX. I then went even thurther back and borrowed FFIV which I also liked and that wasnt even in 3D like FFX and FFVIII.
From what I've seen SE are exploring new ideas and methods of portrying thier stories. They're trying to expand the definition of the word 'Fantasy'.
I'll stop rambling now.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

kujawanabe
02-27-2005, 05:12 AM
I think that 8 and X-2 were the low points but XII looks very good i liked the tactics games and since its being made by the same team i think this one will be awsome. Besides the trailers look good to. But if they stop making Final Fantasies ill die, but I think that there going to start more of what there doing with the series now and adding prequals and sequals to the other games becuase you wouldnt want FF50 well nevermind of course you would if it was good. I hope they movie for 9 because 9 was awsome.

I Don't Need A Name
03-02-2005, 08:54 PM
I like all of the final fantasys (some more than oters. eg. im not 2 keen on VII) ive also seen in a mag that there was gonna be 12 ffs (1-12) but then X-2 comes out so who knows when it will end!

Rostum
03-03-2005, 03:35 AM
I'm defenatly guessing FFXIII will be the first FF on PS3.

It seems Square-Enix now have 3 main series of games, that stand the company tall. Dragon Quest (or Warrior), Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Dark Sage
03-03-2005, 10:40 AM
In our country there says: "If something bring money, lets do it again." Final Fantasy won't have final :) . I hope next games will be better ;) .

FallenAngel411
03-06-2005, 08:09 AM
Final Fantasy is just getting started, apparently. A little too many sequels of everything tho.....they'll be announcing a FFVIII-2 soon, I bet.....and a FFIX-2...and...blah blah blah....until they pick up their brains from where they dropped them and finally decide to get back to work and think up new characters and stories.

Oops, did I just diss Square? My bad.

I Don't Need A Name
03-07-2005, 08:13 PM
yea 1 sequal is enough (eventhough it wasnt that bad) my bro carries in sayin " theres 13 Final Fantasys out!! how can there be 13 of somethin that is Final(fantasy)

Croyles
03-08-2005, 01:27 AM
even if they did end soon, it wouldnt be very bad now would it? its just a game after all.

"All you need is LOVE, Love, all you need is love"

lol

FF freak
03-08-2005, 01:45 AM
I don't know if someones already pointed this out but even if they do quit for a while eventually ( after a few years maybe) they will say hey Ill bet we can make a bundle if we bring back FF...and there you go.

Alice
03-13-2005, 08:46 AM
I remember a few yrs back i actually saw some sketches they did for 13... this was soo long ago though... so as far as i know they are going to 13.

As far as I know squaresofts main goal is to reach out more into movies and etc... video games still being the basis but they want to range out. They even talked with xbox... >.<

mihalis
03-14-2005, 10:06 PM
I think that Squaresoft's merging with Enix may have spelt the end of both Squaresoft's 'Final Fantasy' series and Enix's 'Dragonquest' (Dragon Warrior) series. The reason I think this is that while both companies have produced some excellent games, it was that competition which kept them doing their best work. Now that the two have become one, they don't need to produce the best games to dominate the market. In orther words, they could simply produce a crappy game, slap the 'Final Fantasy' label on it, and folks will still buy it. I hope I'm wrong!

fahadalhasan
04-08-2005, 11:47 PM
I think Square is just exploring idea's and not just use the same storyline all over again! Like: Saving the world where a bad villain guy/gal(like Kuja, Ultimecia etc..) is trying to take over it! That is just so annoying! Atleast in Final Fantasy X, there was no bad guy trying to take over the world except Seymour, but he wasn't the bad guy! Sin was, he was just giving Spira suffering, like the plague for instance!

I like that 'cause it was better than 'take over the world, mwahahaha' sceheme! :D

Also Square will go for a ling time to come! Also Square rocks my socks!

(and Rockers my Boxers[My friend made that one up! It's corny])

squareSOFT
04-09-2005, 12:08 AM
I think that Squaresoft's merging with Enix may have spelt the end of both Squaresoft's 'Final Fantasy' series and Enix's 'Dragonquest' (Dragon Warrior) series. The reason I think this is that while both companies have produced some excellent games, it was that competition which kept them doing their best work. Now that the two have become one, they don't need to produce the best games to dominate the market. In orther words, they could simply produce a crappy game, slap the 'Final Fantasy' label on it, and folks will still buy it. I hope I'm wrong!

I agree completely

Destai
04-09-2005, 12:21 AM
The way I see it, Could XIII be the last Final fantasy? Yes, Is it likely? hell no.

XxSephirothxX
04-09-2005, 03:15 AM
I think the Final Fantasy series might end sooner than this thread, and I don't think the series is anywhere near finished. This thing's almost a freakin year old! O.o

Gnostic Yevon
04-13-2005, 09:22 PM

I agree completely

Actually, I think it's the end of FF, but not Dq. If you look at the structure of the company, everybody with decision making power is from Enix, not Square. In fact, the only reason that the company is still called square-enix is that square is more known than enix. So what I'm beginning to suspect is that Enix bought square just to destroy it. That way Dq and SO are the big rpgs.

Destai
04-13-2005, 10:14 PM
They bought a game series that brings in at least a million per game so they could destroy it? Dont think so.

Laguna
04-13-2005, 10:16 PM
Actually I heard that this may well be the last final fantasy. Shocking, I know. I read it in a gaming magazine although they believed it to be about 70% truth. I guess it makes sense, I mean final fantasy hasnt really been the same since Sakaguchi left the team. From what I hear he is forming his own company - Mist Walker- and Square Enix are moving into a different area of games.

More as I find out.

Destai
04-13-2005, 10:44 PM
So why should I take this gaming magazine seriously. Majority magazines dont know half as much as any semi decent fansite

Laguna
04-13-2005, 10:56 PM
Im not saying its the absolute truth, but it makes sense. Final Fantasy is Sakaguchi's creation- without him they've only been so so. Square Enix have always been keen to attract more people rather than please their fan base (FFX-2, Kingdom Hearts?) It wouldnt suprise me at all if XII was the end of the road.

Destai
04-13-2005, 11:07 PM
Yes but arent those people they attract there fans? Or become there fans? I loved the past few FF's *ignores X-2* and Kingdom Hearts is one of the most enjoyable games ever plus KH2 looks unbelievable in graphics, storyline , characters. XII lookis in my opinion to be the best FF yet. Id eventually lose interest like many and most people if S-E stopped trying new things which is the only thing I can respect X-2 for. Trying new things. No ones seen a proper FF from both Square and Enix yet so how are we supposed to know theyre getting worse?

Gnostic Yevon
04-14-2005, 02:51 AM
They bought a game series that brings in at least a million per game so they could destroy it? Dont think so.

It was the main competition for their game -- DQ. This is what I think is going on:

1.) Acquire Squaresoft.
2.) try to get as many of the "good developers" and "good franchises" (the ones they are interested in) to be under the enix side of things. FF being that it was originally a Squaresoft game, might still say Squaresoft on the liscence. Therefore it might not be legally possible to transfer it to Enix. It might even belong to Sakaguichi and if he doesn't like Enix, he won't sign it over.
3.) Kill off any franchise that can't be made an enix franchise.
4.) Spin off Squaresoft as a shadow of it's former self with no budget and no well known franchises that will compete with Enix.
5.) (optional) maniacal laughter.

The result of doing this is that Enix loses it main competition, squaresoft, plus gets most of Square's assets -- all perfectly legal.

squareSOFT
04-14-2005, 04:10 AM

It was the main competition for their game -- DQ. This is what I think is going on:

1.) Acquire Squaresoft.
2.) try to get as many of the "good developers" and "good franchises" (the ones they are interested in) to be under the enix side of things. FF being that it was originally a Squaresoft game, might still say Squaresoft on the liscence. Therefore it might not be legally possible to transfer it to Enix. It might even belong to Sakaguichi and if he doesn't like Enix, he won't sign it over.
4.) Spin off Squaresoft as a shadow of it's former self with no budget and no well known franchises that will compete with Enix.

The result of doing this is that Enix loses it main competition, squaresoft, plus gets most of Square's assets -- all perfectly legal.

That is completely wrong for a number of reasons

1.) In ff's history they have sold over 45 million games. Why would you get rid of that kind on franchise?
2.) If you get rid of ff and kh(both were squaresoft) then you lose all NA sales. And while thats not the majority of SE it still represents about 30%
3.) SE is looking to increase it's "outside of Japan" sales to about 50%. Getting rid of all squaresoft's products would only serve to SEVERELY decrease "outside of Japan sales."
4.) It's simply illogical to assume that SE would not want to receive the money that ff brings in

Gnostic Yevon
04-14-2005, 04:26 AM

1.) Acquire Squaresoft.

That is completely wrong for a number of reasons

1.) In ff's history they have sold over 45 million games. Why would you get rid of that kind on franchise?
2.) If you get rid of ff and kh(both were squaresoft) then you lose all NA sales. And while thats not the majority of SE it still represents about 30%
3.) SE is looking to increase it's "outside of Japan" sales to about 50%. Getting rid of all squaresoft's products would only serve to SEVERELY decrease "outside of Japan sales."
4.) It's simply illogical to assume that SE would not want to receive the money that ff brings in

That would be true IF square-enix owned the rights to FF. If it's Sakaguchi's, then Enix couldn't take over and sell it when they spin off Square. It's probably going to take a while. It might be for FF 15 or 16 10 years from now.

Gelatinous
04-14-2005, 06:47 PM
The series has been going downhill since FFIX. If this game disappoints me, I'm abandoning the series for good. Well, I won't be buying the new games, anyway. What Final Fantasy needs now is a breath of fresh air, and, as I see it, using an old game world in a new game isn't the best way to be original.

Swordicanus
04-14-2005, 07:56 PM
the ff series will always be around as long as square-enix are making money it's as simple as that it's all money so as long as its selling it will be around

Laguna
04-14-2005, 10:22 PM
Im still reserving judgement. Admittidly it doesnt make any sense for a company to chop a popular series but the whispers of SE ending the series dont suprise me. Im going to wait and see what else happens.

Skaeve
04-17-2005, 12:27 AM
The main reason most of us is here is because we need this fiction to keep going, is for me anyway, i think the world will be dull and bleak without these kind of games. SE knows this i think, so if they drop ff there is a good chance they will come up with something simmilar

Del Murder
04-17-2005, 01:25 AM
I don't think DQ competes with FF. RPG fans will buy good RPGs. I don't think the demise of one series will help the other.

Shoden
04-17-2005, 01:27 AM
why doesnt Square remake some of the greater FF games or learn from there flops well there is no perfect ff yet
7 was the favourite 6 and 5 were old and not much played
9 was annoying with the battle system and main char

10 had really annoying but good main chars sept Auron and Rikku she was funny .....

8 was hated because it wasnt much like 7 and the limit break system even the junction system

personally 5,6,7 and 8 should be remade if one of them sells good then there will be hope for IV and IX

squareSOFT
04-17-2005, 03:15 AM
why doesnt Square remake some of the greater FF games or learn from there flops well there is no perfect ff yet

10 had really annoying but good main chars sept Auron and Rikku she was funny .....

8 was hated because it wasnt much like 7 and the limit break system even the junction system

personally 5,6,7 and 8 should be remade if one of them sells good then there will be hope for IV and IX

I have NO idea why SE hasnet learned from flops like mainly x-2 and sort of 11. They should focus on getting back to what made it succesful in the first place such as gripping storylines, memorable characters, great mini-games, innovative battle-systems and tons of customization. IMO that is the way to go. I shudder at the tought of any more remakes though

Del Murder
04-17-2005, 04:09 AM
Those two games certainly weren't flops. Flops don't make any money. Those two made millions.

Masamuneˇ1600
04-17-2005, 06:27 AM
I sincerely doubt that FF is anywhere near over. Unlike other series, the fact that each new numerical installation incorporates a new story, characters, and world would seem to refute any arguments that FF has grown 'old' or 'stale' or anything of that sort. FF is more in the nature of a fundamental concept, and new ideas are certain to appear in each new game. Moreover, FF is supposed to be one of the three financial pillars of SE, so to speak, which suggests that the company has no intention of letting the franchise collect dust.

While many fans vehemently oppose anything and everything about FFX-2 and FFXI, they weren't flops. FFX-2 was an enormous financial success, and FFXI has passed the million mark online. While I personally was not as enamored of either game as past titles, both had strong points which I feel lend to the idea of a positive evolution in terms of game development. Comparing FFXI to other titles is pointless, anyway, since an MMORPG is such a different concept than any previous (or future) FF titles.

FFX-2, meanwhile, was not a disaster. Yes, the story was nowhere near as expansive or moving as previous plots, and yes, the dialogue was painfully (or perhaps Painefully ;)) banal. As popular as Rikku seems to be among fora goers, I couldn't stand her personality. At all. That being said, FFX-2 introduced a number of new aspects of gameplay, many of which I feel have potential for future series inclusion. I was personally a fan of the more intense and active battles, and many of the minigames were interesting. I would personally rank almost every FF higher than X-2, but that certainly doesn't mean it was a bad game. I enjoyed it, regardless of any criticisms people may hold for it.

Besides, how can any old-school fan not have enjoyed seeing "Whatever you do, don't call him Atma" as part of the description for Ultima Weapon?

But to return to topic, the end of FF is not near. SE has a financial interest in the franchise, obviously, and that alone assures its continuation. I also foresee, however, the series continuing to set a standard for impeccably high quality in all aspects of gaming. As to FFXII, the political strife seems reminiscent of FFT, and I have yet to hear anyone complain about that masterpiece of a story. Until more details are released, we can only speculate about much of FFXII, but I've personally been impressed with what I have seen thus far. I trust the series to astound me again. I won't get another FFVII (my favorite game) or another FFVI (my second favorite) to be sure, but that's because I'll be getting an entirely new experience to marvel at and to enjoy.

Skaeve
04-17-2005, 04:59 PM
What do you think of the sequal to ff VII? i have a really bad feeling about it :(

MoonZapdos
04-17-2005, 05:03 PM
Nah. The legacy of Final Fantasy will only end when its creator dies. I hope. :cry:

Skaeve
04-17-2005, 05:25 PM
I don't think it will end there... the ff legacy is in many people and hopefully many bright creators willing to step in when the time comes

MoonZapdos
04-17-2005, 05:44 PM
Yeah, you're probably right. :greenie:

KentaRawr!
04-18-2005, 02:05 AM
I just looked at a trailer...No, the end of the FF series is not near at all. >_> At least I think so.

Skaeve
04-18-2005, 01:58 PM
I will kill SE if they bounce the game

Sephiroths Clone
04-19-2005, 08:27 PM
There is no way that Final Fantasy will ever end. I just strated getting into FF thanks to FFX. Then i went back to play VII and VIII and i loved those as well. IMO XII looks like it can be one of the best FF yet.

Skaeve
04-19-2005, 09:14 PM
of course it does, they pump it full of propaganda. it may be but then again... the graphics are exelent but its' more the radical changes they have announced that worries me

JaytodaP
04-23-2005, 08:37 PM
What they need is a new battle system. Maybe real time or a newly developed turn-based system. Also, we need less corny characters. In my opinion, from VII on the characters kept getting dumber and dumber until I used FFX-2 as a frisbee.

crashNUMBERS
04-23-2005, 09:01 PM
No, the end of the FF series is not near at all. >_> At least I think so.

olstar18
11-04-2005, 04:23 PM
Its been a long time since I have been on this site and seeing some of the bull that has been posted I just had to come back out of the shadows to post. As for needing the new battle system, take a closer look at the games. They have been continuously changing the battle system with every installment of the series. And for those who have said that the new games are terrible because their not like the old ones I want you to take a look at other games that never changed no matter how many sequals they made. Do you know what happend to most of them. THEIR FINAL GAME DID NOT SELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Had they not kept changing their games Squares third pillar would have been some other series and the final fantasy name would be just another addition to some junk yard. Now please don't come up with any more idiotic arguments as to how bad the series has gotten. Use something good like the voice acting getting down to Dynasty Warriors english voice acting quality, and that doesn't mean start saying its as bad as DW wait until it actualy happens.

Dreddz
11-04-2005, 05:49 PM
I think XIII or XIV shall end it .......

Necron
11-04-2005, 06:56 PM

Hmm.. I don't think it will end until a long time.. I think remakes of the originals would be ok, but then the originals would never be played..
8 has no reason to be remade at all. And who say's everyone hated it!? I like all the FF's, and 8 is just as good as any of them (although 7 is the best)

Azure Chrysanthemum
11-04-2005, 09:19 PM
Please don't revive six month old threads.